Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
My Trygon's ready for hugs! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Looking really good pierre I'd be proud to game with that

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Cross Posting

I'm a terrible baser, I too would like to know PV's secrets.

Also, White is the worst god drat colour to paint with and i hate myself for choosing High Elves as an army.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
At least you didn't pick white and yellow. :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

enri posted:

You heard the man PV, spill the beans :argh:

1 - drop of elmers glue applied directly on top of the sand that is already painted
2 - dip into static grass bag, shake off excess while still in bag
3 - remove from bag, blow the static grass so it stands up
4 - enjoy your carpet fiber lungs

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

dpack_1 posted:

Also, White is the worst god drat colour to paint with and i hate myself for choosing High Elves as an army.

Honestly I never contemplated painting white for the short time that I painted High Elves. I'd go with a different complimentary color to the blue and go from there. Maybe a lighter blue, or even brown? I'm thinking either Space Wolf Grey/Ice Blue or Khemri Brown here.

VVV White

bhsman fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 9, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

dpack_1 posted:

What color are you priming?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PierreTheMime posted:

This reminds me: Trygon people, did you put the model on the base then sand it or the other way around?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

PierreTheMime posted:

This looks badass. But the rattle is weird/funny. I'm picturing a Space Marine walking by a tightly coiled Trygon, obviously visible among the grass, and him shaking that thing like crazy to scare the marine away.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

This looks badass. But the rattle is weird/funny. I'm picturing a Space Marine walking by a tightly coiled Trygon, obviously visible among the grass, and him shaking that thing like crazy to scare the marine away.

I've come to like it and I imagine that it uses it to entice Orks like an angler fish.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

PaintVagrant posted:

1 - drop of elmers glue applied directly on top of the sand that is already painted
2 - dip into static grass bag, shake off excess while still in bag
3 - remove from bag, blow the static grass so it stands up
4 - enjoy your carpet fiber lungs

I.. I don't get it.. this is what I do :psyduck:

I'll give it a go with a different brand of static grass as soon as I can (lovely GW static grass representin')

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

use more glue, dont thin it, and apply it so its like droplet on the base

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Pretty much what PV said, although I don't dip mine in, I use a pair of tweezers to grab a clump and stick it on the glue directly.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

What color are you priming?

I'm priming white but like to get my shadows underneath the brighter colours and sorta blend into them.

They're not really visible in those shots but in the folds of the robes on the back there's some space wolves grey under the white that actually gives some depth to the model.

I'm not exactly disappointed with the look of the models, they're fine for table top stuff but drat this 28mm scale stuff is tiny, i thought i was some master painter when i did my dragon a while back but i guess bigger models are just easier to paint.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

PaintVagrant posted:

...dont thin it...

ding ding! we have a winner! :haw:

I guess I had to pay the price for my habitual watering down of everything at some point.

:doh:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

dpack_1 posted:

I'm priming white but like to get my shadows underneath the brighter colours and sorta blend into them.

They're not really visible in those shots but in the folds of the robes on the back there's some space wolves grey under the white that actually gives some depth to the model.

I'm not exactly disappointed with the look of the models, they're fine for table top stuff but drat this 28mm scale stuff is tiny, i thought i was some master painter when i did my dragon a while back but i guess bigger models are just easier to paint.

You might want to try it in reverse, thin some sw grey and put it in the robe recesses, this way you dont have to repaint the white

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

INCOMING

I don't know what's worse, my painting or my photography

phew. I really need to retake pictures of my other stuff now that I have a lightbox and a tripod.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nice. Has all of that been painted since this threads inception? I want to post things in the OP that have been painted after it was made

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Nice. Has all of that been painted since this threads inception? I want to post things in the OP that have been painted after it was made

i'm retarded. nevermind

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Im channeling your father's complete disapointment in you right now

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Im channeling your father's complete disapointment in you right now

I doubt you've had that much whiskey this morning

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

crime fighting hog posted:

how do you think he thins the surface tension of his washes

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
My trick for painting white or bleached bone is to really thin it down with some flow-aid mix, at least 3:2 flow-aid/water to paint, maybe even going up to 4:2. It goes on very watery, you have to be careful around edges and recesses so it doesn't bleed into there. Keep a small, dry brush on hand to suck it up if it does. The flow-aid will help the paint distribute evenly once it's on the model's surface. It will look kind of strange as you paint it but as the water dries it will contract, leaving you with a great looking even coat of white.

This technique probably works better for larger models.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

adding whiskey to your coffee is the calling card of a true gentleman

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

I want to post things in the OP that have been painted after it was made

Can... can I get my Trygon posted? :ohdear: I'm proud of it like any father would be of their monstrous and instinctively murderous son.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Can... can I get my Trygon posted? :ohdear: I'm proud of it like any father would be of their monstrous and instinctively murderous son.

:hellyeah:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaintVagrant posted:

oh that poor guy fell down a hole, is he going to be okay? :ohdear:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Goddamn, those are some nice looking stealers. Can I ask how you did the red for them? I'd love to get that color on my Slann, and its one model that I would actually be able to put the time in needed to steal imitate your technique!

This has nothing to do with your work, but the pile of skulls on the Broodlord drives me nuts. There are a few skulls that are weirdly elongated because of the casting, and it just jars with what is otherwise a really excellent sculpt.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

white primer
skorne red, almost a wash
drybrush/highlight with orange+dwarf flesh
wash with ogryn flesh mixed with leviathan purple
hit up the ribbed areas with thinned brown ink

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Can add my Dragon to the OP if you so wish. :)

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

white primer
skorne red, almost a wash
drybrush/highlight with orange+dwarf flesh
wash with ogryn flesh mixed with leviathan purple
hit up the ribbed areas with thinned brown ink

Neat, you seem fond of Skorne red. (looks great)

Did you do anything special for the rust on the metal? It looks like it may be sponged on in places - or is that just from pooling?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

boltun
p3 armor wash, thinned lots
thinned orange applied randomly
dab devlan in random areas

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

dpack_1 posted:

Can add my Dragon to the OP if you so wish. :)

added, thanks!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fyrbrand posted:

Always awesome to see you post finished poo poo PV, but it's extra awesome this time.

:w00t: :slick: :snoop: :slick: :snoop: :w00t:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

PierreTheMime posted:

Your paint job is way more awesome than the base. I think it needs something to break up the flatness.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

PierreTheMime posted:

Holy poo poo.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Chenghiz posted:

Your paint job is way more awesome than the base. I think it needs something to break up the flatness.

Yeah, I may add a shrubbery or two. All of my Tyranid are based on a generic happy green-field with rocky soil to add a splash of natural color and "pleasantness" to the otherwise terrifying monster.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

This reminds me: Trygon people, did you put the model on the base then sand it or the other way around?
I test fit the trygon on the base, marked off where it would be, then based it separately from the model.

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, I may add a shrubbery or two. All of my Tyranid are based on a generic happy green-field with rocky soil to add a splash of natural color and "pleasantness" to the otherwise terrifying monster.
I really wish you'd paint your sand, it kind of ruins the piece. Looks great otherwise, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Broken Loose posted:

I really wish you'd paint your sand, it kind of ruins the piece. Looks great otherwise, though.

Is there any particluar reason why painting the sand makes it any more... sandy? Basing sand already has a nice color and looks natural without additional coloring. Do you think it would look better in another color or does painting it the same color do something extra? It's three layers of sand and glue, meaning you cannot see the base through the material.

• Locked thread