Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

In zero-traction situations the Torsen acts like an open diff... hence Ziploc's mention of the handbrake.

Really? Isn't one of the key features of an LSD to transfer power away from the wheel with no traction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, really.

I, too, was surprised when I couldn't get my car out of the driveway last Sunday and was looking it up on Wikipedia.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Guinness posted:

Really? Isn't one of the key features of an LSD to transfer power away from the wheel with no traction?

Wikipedia says it best. A torsen LSD can only multiply available traction. 0 * <a huge number> = 0

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
The trick is to slip the poo poo out of the clutch and ride the e-brake about halfway up. Or dump the clutch and let your momentum carry you over the ice and into the ditch. :chord:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Well poo poo, learn something new every day. I'll have to keep that e-brake trick in mind for the future.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Don't pull it up too far, you want it to drag enough that power goes to the wheel with traction, but pretty much as soon as you start rolling take it off. Then just be gentle with the throttle so you don't break traction, and you'll be good to go.

Or use my method of shifting gears dumping the clutch and romping ont he throttle to drive sideways without wearing your tires. :3:

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Mark Larson posted:

My g/f's landlord asked me "Is the black BMW parked out front yours?"

Funny you mention that, I used to compliment Z3 owners with "nice Miata" when I was younger and full of piss and vinegar.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

After it rained pretty badly the other day, my car was soaked. This has happened to it many times before, and it's never actually been a problem - car still drove fine - but this time it seems to have gotten it. The car will rev (in neutral or in gear) until ~2250rpm, then it will sputter. It returns to idle if you let off the throttle, or will bounce off that RPM (like a revlimit) if you don't.

I warmed the car up, and it continued. Best idea I can come up with is that on O2 sensor lead is shorted, perhaps? The reason I guess this is that the engine runs fine in what should be open-loop RPM range, but dies as it tries to leave it. (The RPM it dies at matches the rpm that the car begins injecting fuel independent of throttle input on decel - where my exhaust starts popping, basically.)

Any better ideas?

This is a '91 mostly stock but piece of crap 1.6L 5sp.

Also, update: The car has now been sitting inside for 72+ hours - the inside is still pretty soaked (the carpet, basically), but the car started up and seems to operate correctly (rev in neutral = no problems).

dorquemada
Dec 22, 2001

Goddamn Textual Tyrannosaurus

aventari posted:

today I mounted my race wheels/tires to make sure they fit and was driving around the neighborhood to make sure they worked okay when 3 20-something douchebags in an Accord yelled 'human being!' at me as i was making a turn. It actually bugged me more than I thought it would.. i got over it pretty quickly but does that happen to anyone else?
Sure did, but at an intersection and it was some tools in a Golf. Oh, irony. Anyway, I blew a kiss at them and told them I'd teach them to drive stick if they asked nice (in my very best 'you got a purty mouth' voice).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

dorquemada posted:

Sure did, but at an intersection and it was some tools in a Golf. Oh, irony. Anyway, I blew a kiss at them and told them I'd teach them to drive stick if they asked nice (in my very best 'you got a purty mouth' voice).
I've gotten:

"Your car is a lovely little fag car!"

and

"Nice car! Do they make it in mens?"

I don't think the second one was thought through too well :gay:

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Funny story, I'm a transsexual dyke, and the stereotype other women seem to have for Miatas is that they're driven by balding, middle-aged IT workers. Which has accuracy going for it, I guess ;)

(still not trading it in for a mini though)

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

dorquemada posted:

It took me a few extra seconds there but that is great.

I was complemented by an older gentleman today on my 95M while out for a quick top down errands run who told me that I have good taste... :unsmith:

Slippy
Mar 13, 2005
LA CERVEZA MAS FINA
420 spin snow tires on your miata errday

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Slippy posted:

I just took mine out today on my new all-seasons and spun around in an empty parking lot. Really helped me realize what a fine line there is between a controlled slide and and an out of control one. I need to set up some cones or something and figure out how to stay in a lane if I start to lose grip, because it's fun to slide around in a big open space but if I were to do that on a public road or something, I don't know how I well I could keep myself off of a curb or not go straight into another car.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Slippy posted:

drat that looks fun, I almost wish it snowed here once in a while

I'm gonna get these wheels from my 99 this week: http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-315.html and some 205/45R16 Yokohama Parada Spec-2's

Should be a good street combo I think

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I have decided to finally get some nice brakes on my Miata this spring which will rectify the only gripe I've ever really had with the car. The car is a 95M with relatively stock power output on 195 width RE-01Rs and is driven aggressively on the street as well as autocrossed 3-5 times a year.

So far I am set on Centric blank rotors with 949 Racing stainless lines. I am 75% decided on Porterfield R4S pads but I am also considering Hawk HP+ pads. I want to know if the Hawk pads are worth the extra money in terms of performance and/or if they will be a bit too extreme for my application. Are there any notable characteristic differences between the two? Pad/rotor life and durability is a concern but I am willing to live with noise and dust. Would it be sensible to run the HP+ pads up front and the R4S pads in the back? What should I be using for fluid? Any help would be appreciated.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 11, 2010

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

If you're having brake problems in a 95M something is wrong. When I hammer the brakes in mine it stops like it dropped an anchor and caught a rock. I suppose there's always room for improvement, but mine might be the best brakes I've ever had in a car.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
The motivation behind me doing this is that I had planned on replacing the rear calipers. The right rear caliper has been hardly working for some time now and the left rear loves to seize up whenever I use the e-brake. My friend has a stock '90 with recently replaced OEM brakes that make mine feel like poo poo by comparison, but I have just been used to mine for so long now.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 11, 2010

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
My brakes are total garbage too, but I'm sure it's just because the PO had a shop install the Autozone-type $14.99 pads. I'm going to order some Porterfield R4S pads for the front.

I wavered between the Hawk HPS and the R4S but recently my friend put some Hawk HPS pads on his 924 and he hated them, so I'll give the R4S a try. If I could find Ferodo DS2500's I'd run those

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?p=2086792

edit: gently caress the Porterfields, I'm going to get the DS2500's.
http://www.topbrakes.com/searchResults.php?car_id=14236

Gonna order from these guys. I've always loved my Scirocco on the track with DS2500's

aventari fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 11, 2010

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Miatas are pretty well-known for having crap brakes. I don't know what it is about the braking system, but it just doesn't seem to be fantastic.

Regarding pads: I'm happy with my HP+ on all 4 corners. Be warned that they are dusty as all hell.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Phone posted:

Miatas are pretty well-known for having crap brakes.
I'm confident I can stop faster than 95% of cars on the road.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tactical Bonnet posted:

If you're having brake problems in a 95M something is wrong. When I hammer the brakes in mine it stops like it dropped an anchor and caught a rock. I suppose there's always room for improvement, but mine might be the best brakes I've ever had in a car.

The something "wrong" is just that the brake system needs to be refreshed. My (coincidentally) 95M could also use a brake system overhaul, which I'll probably also be doing this spring. Even with records of regular maintenance, it's still a 15 year old braking system that could use some attention to get back into tip-top shape.

My brakes still work and stop the car fine (and faster than most cars on the road), but I just really want to go through and freshen up and tighten up everything. Rotors, pads, fluids, brake lines, all that. Driving my car back to back with a car with a fresh brake system just highlights that mine are a little bit on the sloppy side. I totally understand where the poster above is coming from.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
wait, so Wayside Bazaar, Guinness, Tactical Bonnet, and myself all have 95Ms?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
When I redo my brakes it's gonna be:

-1.8 Sport rotors/caliper brackets
-$100 custom SS lines from miataturbo.net
-XP10/8 pads

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I think after all I might throw down a little extra and go with the Carbotech AX6s. From what I hear they seem to be the best performing compared to the others and have a wider operating range with less noise/dust.

Guinness posted:

My brakes still work and stop the car fine (and faster than most cars on the road), but I just really want to go through and freshen up and tighten up everything. Rotors, pads, fluids, brake lines, all that. Driving my car back to back with a car with a fresh brake system just highlights that mine are a little bit on the sloppy side. I totally understand where the poster above is coming from.

That's pretty much it. I had replaced the brakes like 2-3 years ago but it was done in a pinch before going on a road trip using mediocre parts with a half-rear end bleeding job. Of course like you said the Miata isn't exactly a hard car to slow down and mine is far from feeling unsafe.

Hog Obituary posted:

Yeah bro! :hfive:

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Wait, won't Carbotechs cost like $200+ for all 4 corners?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Yeah they'll be around $50 more than the others but I really think that they'll be worth it and besides I got a great deal on my two replacement rear calipers so why not spend the money I just saved? :obama:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Hog Obituary posted:

'Sup 95M buddies? :hfive:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

nice looking cars. The NA's are really starting to grow on me.

I changed my mind on wheels and I'm gonna get these in 16x7 http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-0187A.html

Sehnsucht
Aug 2, 2003
Damn you and your daily doubles you brigand!

aventari posted:

nice looking cars. The NA's are really starting to grow on me.

I changed my mind on wheels and I'm gonna get these in 16x7 http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-0187A.html

Those are nice, how much do they weigh?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.275188/it.A/id.7834/.f

13.2 lbs in 16x7 :clint:

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.
Is this bad? Pics of all 4 rotors.

REARRRRRRRR

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

FRONTTTTTTT

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Normal. Next time get zinc plated hats.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Tactical Bonnet posted:

'Sup 95M buddies? :hfive:

Oh cool, I'm in this club too!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Mine are the same.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

For anybody still on stock wheels and in the market for some Azenis, they're insanely cheap right now. I just got quoted $222 shipped from discounttiredirect.com (they price matched vulcantire.com and then beat it by almost $10) and there's an additional $80 rebate going on now. It's like $140 shipped for 4 new tires all said and done.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

DreamOn13 posted:

For anybody still on stock wheels and in the market for some Azenis, they're insanely cheap right now. I just got quoted $222 shipped from discounttiredirect.com (they price matched vulcantire.com and then beat it by almost $10) and there's an additional $80 rebate going on now. It's like $140 shipped for 4 new tires all said and done.

Thanks for the heads up. My brother needs a good set of rubber for the Kosei K1s he wants to throw on the SR16VE powered SE-R he's picking up in a few weeks. Is the rebate through Discount Tire or Falken?

Nevermind he's already on to it.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 12, 2010

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.

Phone posted:

Normal. Next time get zinc plated hats.

They came like that when I bought it in January. It sat on the dealer's lot for close to 8 months, that's why I was wondering if it was bad. If it isn't, then I don't care if they look rusty.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

pacheco posted:

They came like that when I bought it in January. It sat on the dealer's lot for close to 8 months, that's why I was wondering if it was bad. If it isn't, then I don't care if they look rusty.
You could always pull em off, mask and spray silver if you wanted. No harm there.. although a bit anal IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

If that's anal, get out the astro-glide, because next time I do my brakes I'm doin' it.