Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Twotone posted:

Anyone seeing any DCOM errors lately that restarts your computer in 60 seconds? It is similar to the blaster, sasser, and that other worm. I've had about 4 customers call in about it in the past 2 days.

Do you mean that it does this every 60 seconds? Like, causes a restart 60 seconds after it's started in a loop?

Or just restarts 60 seconds after the intial infestation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

Syphilicious! posted:

What can I do to fix this? Is it not worth the hassle?

You could try running system restore to a point before you got infected. That's all my boss does to fix computers that have caught the Antivirus Virus.

Twotone
Feb 3, 2004

Rudeboy

Zwabu posted:

Just restarts 60 seconds after the intial infestation?
60 seconds after getting the DCOM error. You can do the shutdown -a but nothing works afterwards so you have to hard reboot anyway. Combofix removed something that nothing would pick up and I haven't seen it since.

Twotone
Feb 3, 2004

Rudeboy

Maniaman posted:

I've been seeing a lot of these the past few days as well. Only fix I've been able to find that works is reinstalling Windows. All the information I could find online seemed to be old or outdated.
Ya referring to the old worms from 2006. This is something new.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Well, this is lovely.

Had 4 computers with Conficker.c. While it's not difficult in and of itself to get rid of, neither Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware nor Combofix detects it. I had to run the BitDefender removal tool specifically designed for it in order to kill it from http://www.bdtools.net/ , so I'm adding this to my standard scan rotation (BD Downadup, then ComboFix, then Malwarebytes).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Syphilicious! posted:

So yesterday, the Antivirus Vista 2010 virus infected my computer. I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode, and it got rid of it. However, now, anytime I try and run a program, it says a few variations of things. When I try and run iTunes, for instance, it says iTunes.exe cannot be found. The same thing for Modern Warfare 1 and 2, and anything that had a shortcut on the desktop. A few programs, IE 7, for instance, will make me select which program to use to run it. When I select IE 7 from the list, it doesn't really open up. At least Firefox still works. This also appears to have affected a lot of other programs. iTunes, at least, runs when I select 'Run in Administrator Mode'. So does a few other programs. But it really isn't worth the hassle. I made a new account on the computer, and everything is working fine on that one, but my main one is still hosed up.

What can I do to fix this? Is it not worth the hassle?

Basically the file association for .exe files in Windows has been broken; windows is treating those files like 'something.zzx' as an unknown type. This is probably because Mbytes removed a bad registry link that was causing the baddie to copy itself into memory every time you ran an exe.

You can probably google a bunch of fixes but this is the first one I've found; note I haven't tested it or even know if it's appropriate:
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/746133.htm

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Hooray, my exchange server now reboots when I try to log in as anybody. It gets to the login prompt and I can remote in at that point, but when I try to physically log into it it reboots. in safe mode NOD and Malwarebytes aren't finding anything.

Will combofix run on server 2003, should I try it, and what are the chances of it going all willy nilly on my system files?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sadly, no, Combofix won't run on Server 2003, I've tried :(

Run GMER and RootkitRevealer, and hit up Microsoft's online onecare scan here: http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.

PowderKeg posted:

Hooray, my exchange server now reboots when I try to log in as anybody. It gets to the login prompt and I can remote in at that point, but when I try to physically log into it it reboots. in safe mode NOD and Malwarebytes aren't finding anything.

Will combofix run on server 2003, should I try it, and what are the chances of it going all willy nilly on my system files?

What do the logs say? My first assumption on a login-causes-restart wouldn't probably be malware, particularly if you're able to use Remote Desktop to log in. If Safe Mode is preventing the problem and you're not finding any malware from those two scanners combined, I'd go through msconfig and disable everything you don't absolutely need, then slowly enable them until the problem starts up again.

edit: I like his answer better vvvvvv

Midelne fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 4, 2010

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

PowderKeg posted:

I've seen this a lot over the years, almost always the userinit entry messed up\replaced in winlogon

hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\current version\winlogon\ somewhere in there is a userinit entry

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

bobua posted:

I've seen this a lot over the years, almost always the userinit entry messed up\replaced in winlogon

hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\current version\winlogon\ somewhere in there is a userinit entry

Try then and if you get nothing try Autoruns. This is almost certainly something that's set to run when you log in as any local user.

plaguedoctor
Jun 26, 2008

I CAN DUMP MY GIRLFRIEND CAUSE SHE'S LIKE A WHORE, RIGHT GUYS? RIGHT???

univbee posted:

Well, this is lovely.

Had 4 computers with Conficker.c. While it's not difficult in and of itself to get rid of, neither Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware nor Combofix detects it. I had to run the BitDefender removal tool specifically designed for it in order to kill it from http://www.bdtools.net/ , so I'm adding this to my standard scan rotation (BD Downadup, then ComboFix, then Malwarebytes).

Hmm... How did you know you had Conficker? Did you just randomly run the Bitdefender tool and found it, or did you know that *something* was going on, even though your AV software hadn't found it?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

plaguedoctor posted:

Hmm... How did you know you had Conficker? Did you just randomly run the Bitdefender tool and found it, or did you know that *something* was going on, even though your AV software hadn't found it?

Not the person you were asking but when my environment had it we noticed it from lots of inexplicable network activity and some quick wiresharking found it. This was pretty handy then too though it might not be accurate any more:
http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003

BillWh0re posted:

Try then and if you get nothing try Autoruns. This is almost certainly something that's set to run when you log in as any local user.

Thanks a ton for all the help. Rootkitrevealer had a couple of things (I'll edit into here as soon as I can get the txt file off of that machine), Onecare scan showed nothing. GMER shot all of my processors to 100% (is that normal), so I killed it after awhile. I checked the userinit entry against another working machine and everything matches up, even the file sizes. I'm looking over the autoruns list now while shutting off all non-necessary services and gradually adding them back in.

A couple of times I've tried remoting in as the admin which fails and kills the session before the desktop appears, my personal login worksbut the 'send/don't send' error popup appears about winlogon.exe. (szAppName : winlogon.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : ntdll.dll
szModVer : 5.2.3790.4455 offset : 0001bd02)

The original reason that triggered all of this is because my SMTP email wasn't working. Internal mail is working fine, just no external. I didn't change anything in exchange and my ASA is showing all traffic as fine.

edit: ok.. I added all services back in (10 at a time) except for the exchange ones and it let me log in fine, then I manually started my excahnge services and everything's working again. Haven't tried to reboot it with exchange auto starts, though. I'll wait until the weekend to do that so it can probably blow up again. Thanks again guys.

PowderKeg fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 4, 2010

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
A friend's PC has been overrun with viruses and she wants to reinstall Windows XP; however, she's realized that because her laptop came with most of the software preinstalled (e.g. Office, XP itself, Nero, etc.) she doesn't have any of the license keys to successfully reinstall everything. Is there a way to find these keys in her PC's registry or something before reinstalling XP?

I figured people posting in this thread may have experience with this, but let me know if the post is better suited somewhere else.

vvvv - Perfect. Thanks!

do it fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 4, 2010

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

do it posted:

A friend's PC has been overrun with viruses and she wants to reinstall Windows XP; however, she's realized that because her laptop came with most of the software preinstalled (e.g. Office, XP itself, Nero, etc.) she doesn't have any of the license keys to successfully reinstall everything. Is there a way to find these keys in her PC's registry or something before reinstalling XP?

I figured people posting in this thread may have experience with this, but let me know if the post is better suited somewhere else.

Magic Jellybean Keyfinder.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Girlfriend's laptop is redirecting Google search results to rev-advert.com/search.php. Haven't been able to find any solid info about this anywhere.

Thoughts?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Is this XP?

If so, put in your Windows Install CD, reboot to Windows Install, and press R when everything loads. This is your Recovery Console.
Type the number for your /windows directory, type your password if you have one, and then at C:> type "fixmbr" and press enter.
If she's on Vista, check this out - different procedure but does the same thing.

Type Exit to reboot, remove your Windows CD, and get back to your desktop.
Download Combofix from https://www.combofix.org run it and walk away until it tells you it's done.
Follow up with a full system scan using MalwareBytes (https://www.malwarebytes.org) and that should fix it.

It's probably not an redirect using your HOSTS file, but if it's still going on after all this, open Notepad, open up C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and select a file called "HOSTS" - it's not a text file, you so may need to look for All Files instead of Text Documents. But still, it's probably not that.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 7, 2010

hobb
Sep 20, 2001
Anyone know whats up with the very elaborate fake virus scanners that I'm assuming are coming from infected ads?

My mom told me the other night that she was on facebook, when this full page fake scanner came up, and attempts to close the window would trigger a prompt with accept/cancel and what not, trying to close that would just loop it.

She's relativly smart about not loving with stuff like that, and all scans I've done today seem clean with nothing obvious going on, so I'm fairly sure it wasn't installed, but just contained to the browser from an ad.

The base URL was don't click this > prime-defendere.com < with random gibberish at the end of the address that I'm assuming randomises it so that its harder to purposefully find.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobb posted:

Anyone know whats up with the very elaborate fake virus scanners that I'm assuming are coming from infected ads?

My mom told me the other night that she was on facebook, when this full page fake scanner came up, and attempts to close the window would trigger a prompt with accept/cancel and what not, trying to close that would just loop it.

She's relativly smart about not loving with stuff like that, and all scans I've done today seem clean with nothing obvious going on, so I'm fairly sure it wasn't installed, but just contained to the browser from an ad.

The base URL was don't click this > prime-defendere.com < with random gibberish at the end of the address that I'm assuming randomises it so that its harder to purposefully find.

Ive spent the last 3 weeks removing these goddamn things. Best thing to do is install Firefox with Adblock Plus.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.
Cleaned some random Fake.AV variant off of a company laptop with fully up-to-date DATs on McAfee Enterprise 8.7 today. It only really had two noteworthy features -- killing cmd.exe/msconfig/Task Manager processes whenever they came up and blanking out the desktop while forcing itself in front of any window that you managed to open after it popped up, including Internet Explorer, which I would've presumed that it would leave alone so that you could purchase the fake AV product they were pushing.

It couldn't handle Safe Mode, the file locations were plainly visible in the Startup tab of msconfig, and there was nothing stopping me from deleting the (numerically named, rather than alphanumerically) folders it dumped in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data once I had that information.

Sure did make me feel sorry for the average home user, though, since the average home user either doesn't know what Safe Mode is or wouldn't be able to use it effectively, and the antivirus wasn't so much as throwing up a peep while the desktop was hijacked and the Good Guy processes were dropping like flies.

edit: It also made me feel vaguely embarrassed for anyone associated with making this particular variant.

Kelson
Jan 23, 2005

Midelne posted:

edit: It also made me feel vaguely embarrassed for anyone associated with making this particular variant.

Just need to consider who they're targeting; novel / complex / stealthy kits are interesting to researchers. Banal, easy, and plain-jane ones work just as well against the at-home-user without attracting undue attention. They only need to outsmart the home user - outsmarting the security/techie isn't necessarily a plus. The more researcher interest, the faster patching and/or better coverage signatures are engaged.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
At about 444AM, an e-mail blast went out from my address to all of my current contacts - confirmed by a friend of mine online at the time. I've since scanned the system with MBAM, Sophos Anti-Rootkit, and Avast!

I'm watching my connections like a hawk in cFosSpeed's connection monitor - nothing suspiscious. The only oddity is that when I audited the system logs, two .tmp files in the System32 folder "failed to run due to an incompatibility with the system" - this would be them http://uploading.com/files/72aa3ema/Infection.zip/ - each is 6.00KB in size.

What the gently caress is going on, you guys think?

Edit - checked the MIME info, and the mail blasted out from 115.49.34.112. With ads for https://www.nsehwop.com. Fuckin' Chinese. I've changed the login - this should fix the issue, yeah?

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 10, 2010

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

PopeOnARope posted:

Edit - checked the MIME info, and the mail blasted out from 115.49.34.112. With ads for https://www.nsehwop.com. Fuckin' Chinese. I've changed the login - this should fix the issue, yeah?
Which login are you talking about? For your mail server? Because that's not going to stop some random Chinese server from sending an e-mail with your address on it. How it was sent to your contact list is another concern, but I'd verify that is what actually happened. "Confirmed by a friend" sounds far short of "entire contact list."

How is your contact list stored?

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU
Ugh, I had almost finished cleaning out a computer which apparently had the katusha.e trojan, only to discover that it had hosed with the MBR so much that the windows recovery console wouldn't even load to let me run fixmbr. Ended up booting to a live linux disc and backing up the important files to USB then flattening/reinstalling. This is the first time I've had to totally reformat a computer because of viruses in years. :(

Virus writers need to go and die.

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

It appears that a lot of people infected with the TDSS/TDL3 rootkit I was talking about before are now getting bluescreened after patch Tuesday.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/02/12/1455203/Rootkit-May-Be-Behind-Windows-Blue-Screen (slashdot but the original source seems to be down)

Most likely because the update may try to patch the stealthed atapi.sys file, with all those file writes going through the rootkit, and the rootkit doesn't properly implement them so the system is left in some horrible intermediate state when it reboots. MS can't tell that atapi.sys has already been patched by the rootkit since it's stealthed and appears totally normal, and the rootkit can't properly apply the MS update since it won't allow writing to its patched code. Nice.

abominable fricke
Nov 11, 2003

What does Pottsylvania have more than any other country? Mean! We have more mean than any other country in Europe! We must export mean.

BillWh0re posted:

It appears that a lot of people infected with the TDSS/TDL3 rootkit I was talking about before are now getting bluescreened after patch Tuesday.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/10/02/12/1455203/Rootkit-May-Be-Behind-Windows-Blue-Screen (slashdot but the original source seems to be down)

Most likely because the update may try to patch the stealthed atapi.sys file, with all those file writes going through the rootkit, and the rootkit doesn't properly implement them so the system is left in some horrible intermediate state when it reboots. MS can't tell that atapi.sys has already been patched by the rootkit since it's stealthed and appears totally normal, and the rootkit can't properly apply the MS update since it won't allow writing to its patched code. Nice.

I came in here to post exactly this. This find it mildly humorous until I remember that I will be fixing a lot of this next week.

I've also notice a lot of highjacked userinit.exe entries at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Winlogon\Userinit key. It appears that they are typically altering the key to point to winlogon32.exe. Needless to say it causes a logon logout loop. This can be fixed via ERD and altering the key to point at userinit.exe again. As a safe measure I have also been replacing msgina.dll, winlogon.exe and userinit.exe.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
After exorcising a couple friends computers of Vundo and various Fake.AV infections, I would like to praise combofix as my one true god.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

PopeOnARope posted:

At about 444AM, an e-mail blast went out from my address to all of my current contacts

This is why I don't use an email client. This scares the poo poo out of me, as I have contacts that I never talk to and wouldn't want to have to explain stuff like this to. Hopefully nobody ever figures out how to email all of your gmail contacts through the web interface. :ohdear:

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
I don't understand this...

I spent 4 hours installing every toolbar, IE addon, flash games, etc that I could find trying to get a virtual machine infected with one of those fake antivirus programs. I failed miserably at infecting the machine.

How do these people manage to catch these viruses without trying when I couldn't catch it after 4 hours of actively trying?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Maniaman posted:

I don't understand this...

I spent 4 hours installing every toolbar, IE addon, flash games, etc that I could find trying to get a virtual machine infected with one of those fake antivirus programs. I failed miserably at infecting the machine.

How do these people manage to catch these viruses without trying when I couldn't catch it after 4 hours of actively trying?

You know that one torrent website that everyone uses to PIRATE things, BAYbe? Check that site out. They have an add that hijacks your browser to "my"computer"anti"virus"1".com" - if you remove the "s I added in, that is. Give that a whirl!

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Maniaman posted:

virtual machine

Many viruses and malware will refuse to "function" if they detect that they are running inside a VM.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

Many viruses and malware will refuse to "function" if they detect that they are running inside a VM.

A) How does this detection work and can it be spoofed for an actual machine?

B) Is it feasible then to do all casual surfing inside a VM?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

sfwarlock posted:

B) Is it feasible then to do all casual surfing inside a VM?

There is no single way that they detect it. Some pull the system manufacturer name out of WMI, some look for specific drivers that are loaded, some look for virtualization helper services and processes. Trying to emulate that on your personal workstation in the hopes that you come across one that is tricked and doesn't run is a silly thing to do and not worth the effort. If you want your system to remain secure, use a user account or UAC, patch, keep AV updated, run an ad-blocker, fully enable DEP, and uninstall browser plugins that you don't need. If you're still on 2000/xp, for the love of god get off that insecure piece of poo poo. If you are on Vista/7, enable SEHOP.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

m2pt5 posted:

This sounds like more reason to push my "everybody at works runs a prebuilt VM image" agenda. It sounds like a completely awesome idea, and there's probably some standard implementation for it already. I think the biggest concern would be bandwidth to pull the image each morning.

But my idea is roughly this:
Create a virtual machine image that includes everything the client needs (I assume this would require volume licensing for the Microsoft apps). Have the physical computer effectively be a thin client that does nothing but load this image at startup. Have documents redirected to a share on the server to preserve changes. When they reboot the computer, the same base image is loaded again, so it effectively acts as Deep Freeze as well (undoing any malicious changes since the past reboot). This method would also make keeping things up-to-date easy, since you only have a single image to update.

The downsides I can think of are that it might make things like antivirus definitions and windows updates slightly more tedious, and the obvious aforementioned bandwidth issues with loading the image at startup.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

If you are on Vista/7, enable SEHOP.
I had to look this up because I've never even heard of it. What's the downside of enabling it? Potential for compatibility issues? I'm guessing there's a reason it's not turned on by default.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

brc64 posted:

This sounds like more reason to push my "everybody at works runs a prebuilt VM image" agenda. It sounds like a completely awesome idea, and there's probably some standard implementation for it already. I think the biggest concern would be bandwidth to pull the image each morning.

But my idea is roughly this:
Create a virtual machine image that includes everything the client needs (I assume this would require volume licensing for the Microsoft apps). Have the physical computer effectively be a thin client that does nothing but load this image at startup. Have documents redirected to a share on the server to preserve changes. When they reboot the computer, the same base image is loaded again, so it effectively acts as Deep Freeze as well (undoing any malicious changes since the past reboot). This method would also make keeping things up-to-date easy, since you only have a single image to update.

This is a pretty standard idea. There are many ways to do it, but Microsoft streamlined it with Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

brc64 posted:

I had to look this up because I've never even heard of it. What's the downside of enabling it? Potential for compatibility issues? I'm guessing there's a reason it's not turned on by default.

Disabled by default for compatibility concerns, just like DEP OptOut mode. Frankly I would like to see Microsoft pull the trigger on more of these technologies on their desktop OS's because they do wonders for system security.

Kelson
Jan 23, 2005

Maniaman posted:

Looking in the wrong places; what're you looking to do specifically? Send a PM

m2pt5 posted:

This is still pretty rare really. Low hanging fruit and all that...

sfwarlock posted:

System fingerprinting, Bangers hit a lot of ways, but the underlying idea is to identify details that differ between real CPUs and VMs, then check the detail in question. If VM, FuckWithResearcher(), else PwnHomePC()

Kelson fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 19, 2010

Atltais
May 21, 2004
And there was much rejoicing.

Kelson posted:

System fingerprinting, Bangers hit a lot of ways, but the underlying idea is to identify details that differ between real CPUs and VMs, then check the detail in question. If VM, FuckWithResearcher(), else PwnHomePC()

More viruses with the code lying about should have function names like those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I was just doing something on my sister's computer went WinAntivirus2010 popped up. I instantly responded by holding down the power button until it shut off. I'm reasonably sure it wasn't infected before, and I don't know if the popup "warning" from antivirus2010 is post or during infection. The system's running Vista Home Premium and AVG, both up to date, and the latest version of IE, with UAC active and working. How hosed is it? Got it in safe mode running a full AVG scan right now, but it said that "Documents and Settings" is a locked folder and skipped scanning it entirely so I'm not feeling too confident. Got Combofix downloaded on a different PC and ready to be transferred over.

• Locked thread