Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Personally, I think the sand looks fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PierreTheMime posted:

Is there any particluar reason why painting the sand makes it any more... sandy? Basing sand already has a nice color and looks natural without additional coloring. Do you think it would look better in another color or does painting it the same color do something extra? It's three layers of sand and glue, meaning you cannot see the base through the material.

It looks like you took a bunch of sand and glued it to the base. Painting it adds depth to make it a more convincing ground.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Finished up some Menoth while I'm at it.

Oh, and a merc.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It looks like you took a bunch of sand and glued it to the base. Painting it adds depth to make it a more convincing ground.

That's the thing, it looks like sand. Specifically, sand for giant people. I recall there was somebody earlier in the thread who had an excellently painted dread with regular sand that looked okay, but once he painted the sand the whole thing turned amazing.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Is there any particluar reason why painting the sand makes it any more... sandy? Basing sand already has a nice color and looks natural without additional coloring. Do you think it would look better in another color or does painting it the same color do something extra? It's three layers of sand and glue, meaning you cannot see the base through the material.

I felt the same way as you for the longest time, but it really does make a difference. It adds shading that makes the model look like it's standing on a battlefield rather than on a plastic base covered in sand. It's the same reason why edge highlights work- people don't *really* look like that but it's meant to fool the eye from a distance. Probably not making a whole lot of sense here, hopefully someone will come along and explain it better than I can.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Feeple posted:

Wow, I really like your Menoth. Are you using black primer? I'm about start painting the battlebox and I originally bought white primer to go with the "official" color scheme but I'm starting to have second thoughts.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So should I add a wash to the sand or should I actually paint and/or drybrush it? I'mg going to try a test base either way. I'd like to try and keep the same color, though if it comes out nicely I may redo all the finished bases with the updated basing.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I've read you should most definitely thin Citadel foundation paints when doing any painting, but what about just the regular Citadel Color paints should those be thinned as well?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Le Saboteur posted:

I've read you should most definitely thin Citadel foundation paints when doing any painting, but what about just the regular Citadel Color paints should those be thinned as well?

Absolutely. Thin to the consistency of whole milk as a general rule. Dropper bottles are helpful for this purpose.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

PierreTheMime posted:

Is that the GW basing sand that has quite large granules to it? I love that stuff but a quick drybrush of bleached bone works wonders for it.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Feeple posted:

Oh, and a merc.

Oh poo poo, you're the knights of mars guy. That color scheme owns.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Kestral posted:

Absolutely. Thin to the consistency of whole milk as a general rule. Dropper bottles are helpful for this purpose.

Yah, I don't have any droppers at the moment I just use a cup of clean water and have a brush soak up some water and mix it into the palette to get he right consistency.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Le Saboteur posted:

Yah, I don't have any droppers at the moment I just use a cup of clean water and have a brush soak up some water and mix it into the palette to get he right consistency.

Dropper bottles make such a wonderful difference in painting and mixing, I don't know how I painted without them. I recommend them for anyone who doesn't have them.

http://www.thewarstore.com/product43224.html

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

PierreTheMime posted:

The individual grains of sand are not to scale, so it looks more like a lot of loose rocks. If you prime and paint the sand it gets more of a uniform color and the individual bits aren't as easy to pick out.

PierreTheMime posted:

So should I add a wash to the sand or should I actually paint and/or drybrush it? I'mg going to try a test base either way. I'd like to try and keep the same color, though if it comes out nicely I may redo all the finished bases with the updated basing.

I'd try a drybrush first, or even a basecoat, heavy drybrush, and then light drybrush depending on how much depth you want it to have.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I think your sand looks fine, Pierre.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PierreTheMime posted:

I would paint it a (light) base color, drybrush it, then apply a wash, and if necessary drybrush it again. It doesn't take much time at all and makes the base fit in with the mini a lot better.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Feeple posted:

Protectorate stuff

That's a great color scheme, do you have any finished warjacks to show?

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
Since we're pimping our stuff from this thread, here's my finished screaming bell from way back on page 37

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Doug posted:

Wow, I really like your Menoth. Are you using black primer? I'm about start painting the battlebox and I originally bought white primer to go with the "official" color scheme but I'm starting to have second thoughts.

I am. I typically only go for white when I'm trying to make brighter colors.

quote:

Oh poo poo, you're the knights of mars guy. That color scheme owns.
I didn't even know anyone read those. Thanks. :blush:

@Arlaharen: Yes, yes I do! I've been painting this all up as part of a welcome to Mk II things locals made called Fight Club.
Here's a few:

EDIT: Yog that Skaven owns, dude!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Since we're pimping our stuff from this thread, here's my finished screaming bell from way back on page 37

added

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Feeple posted:

@Arlaharen: Yes, yes I do! I've been painting this all up as part of a welcome to Mk II things locals made called Fight Club.
Here's a few:

We have the nearly the same color scheme except I do purple instead of that earthy red.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Feeple posted:

Here's a few:

Space Sharks: Menoth Edition

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Since we're pimping our stuff

I just finished my oath so here you go:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

A buddy of mine is doing his templar like this:

Duder copied me and magnetized all his arms and packs. Any comments/critiques I can pass along to him?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
His highlighting on the coats are great, and I really like the scheme, but you had to tell him to stop the drybrushing. I can see that it is how he is doing his golds and it works pretty well. But he has to clean up the black when he is done. It looks great as damage/hard lining, but not great on the flat surfaces.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

omg crisis posted:

I love seeing workspace shots. Everyone should post their own!!

My workspace changes every day. I paint at the game shop so I keep all my paints, brushes, tools, etc in a tool box and put my minis away when I'm done.

We've got a guy that makes awesome portable paint stations. He made one and brought it up to the shop and I thought about trying it out but it was too big and heavy for me to move without any stuff on it so I requested he make me one a little smaller. When he gets around to it I'll totally post that because the full sized ones are awesome.

PaintVagrant posted:

more cool 1/35 poo poo from smart max, the co that makes SMOG and MAUSER

So SMOG is Inquisitor sized? My brother really wants an excuse to paint some of there models and I really want a clockwork praying mantis with a top hat and monocle. Where in the US can you get these things? Preferably a distributor.

PierreTheMime posted:

Try just washing it first if it's pretty much the color you want it to be. You can save a lot of time on the whole army if you do a one stage wash instead of a two, three or four stage process. It may not take much for one model but it can add up over time. Plus if you think don't really like the just wash you can always go back and do a more complicated process.

So, I got a couple of gaunts and genestealers from bhsman on Friday, painted them up simply on Sunday, and stuck googly eyes on them this afternoon. I couldn't be happier. I swiped my friend's Hive Tyrant to start painting to add to the mix. He said he would kind of like something in exchange for it. I told him he could have a fully painted Hive Tyrant with googly eyes. :v:

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!
The first of my plastic chaos terminators box, painted and magnetised!

Critique's are welcome.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think you've done a good job. I'm not a fan of the purple on the axe but it's a good tabletop standard for sure. Maybe use a darker colour for the rock unless it's just the flash or light that makes it look solid white.

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!
The rock is actually Dheneb stone so it's just the light making it look white.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Dude looks like he's guarding an unusually large sugar cube.

GoodBee posted:

So, I got a couple of gaunts and genestealers from bhsman on Friday, painted them up simply on Sunday, and stuck googly eyes on them this afternoon. I couldn't be happier. I swiped my friend's Hive Tyrant to start painting to add to the mix. He said he would kind of like something in exchange for it. I told him he could have a fully painted Hive Tyrant with googly eyes. :v:

Hells yea :c00l: Can't wait to see how they turned out. What scheme did you end up going with?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Back at my mum's house to visit and I found a selection of old miniatures that I painted and converted in the long long ago. Most of them are just mediocre (I actually threw out a lot of the really terrible ones), but these caught my eye. Apparantly at one time I was taken with the idea of making a Tzeench fantasy army. My idea of what that meant was.. interesting.

The guy below used to have a Gargoyle face but it kept falling off. So I guess I got sick of re-gluing it.

PR@ FREEHAND BANNER L@@K

Oh hey look, a Tiny Fistpump

And finally, their leader, the most FABULOUS champion of Tzeench ever to rise to power.

:gay:

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

GoodBee posted:

So SMOG is Inquisitor sized? My brother really wants an excuse to paint some of there models and I really want a clockwork praying mantis with a top hat and monocle. Where in the US can you get these things? Preferably a distributor.
I don't have an inquisitor model to compare but from what I remember of how big they are smog is nowhere near as large, I've got Shammock and he's about half the size of an inquisitor model.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
yesssssssss

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Those guys are awesome. All of them.

*fistpump on a banner*

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Saddest Robot posted:

Those guys are awesome. All of them.

*fistpump on a banner*
Yes they are. Funnily enough, the Heroquest gargoyle from my set is still serving a s a bloodthirster in a friend's army. It's actually a really dodgy attempt at copying the original metal one.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm having some trouble figuring out how to paint the boneswords for my Tyranid Warriors and Swarmlord. Standard Hive Fleet Kraken scything talons are black with increasingly "hot" red highlights along these lines:

The standard bonesword conversion essentially reverses the talon, creating a curving, scimitar-like blade. I rather like this look, but I want to do something interesting with the paint-job to represent the fact that these aren't just scything talons turned upside-down: they're power weapons that "crackle with psychic energy" and rip the life force right out of you. Any ideas?

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Perhaps something like this? It uses the standard colors associated with power weapons and the blue would create an interesting contrast with the earthy reds and browns.

quick photoshop fu chop n slap work

The Saddest Robot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 11, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Finished basing about 60 sisters.

I can't decide if I want to do more to these bases, or if it would just make them distracting. I kinda like it as simple as they are.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
They look pretty good to me, Fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Fix posted:

I can't decide if I want to do more to these bases, or if it would just make them distracting. I kinda like it as simple as they are.
Is the rim of the base just bare plastic? Maybe paint it a granite color or something so it's not as plain?

• Locked thread