Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyrion
Aug 30, 2005

Mithaldu posted:

Mind if i ask where you know this from?

I'm an Opera employee, working on Opera desktop temporarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Oh, thats good news.

Slightly off topic:
In 10.50 you can create a new bookmark and set the adress to something silly like
code:
javascript: 
var od=document;
for( var i = 0; od.images[i]; i++ ) od.images[i].src="http://fi.somethingawful.com/customtitles/title-roadcrewworker.png";
document=od;
(or just copy paste the code into the adress bar) and it actually applies the changes to the current open tab when you click the bookmark or hit enter (works the same way in IE8) and rerenders the page. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work in 10.10. I guess i must have missed a way this can be achieved using custom buttons while going through the examples. Userjs is not really what i want, does someone know if there's an easy solution?

Can't wait for the alpha to get more stable.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 8, 2010

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tyrion posted:

How likely is it that Opera will support h264 in html5?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Tyrion posted:

Awesome. I was honestly of the impression that Opera in general just throws their arms into the air and turns around in re GDI leak issues, as I've had problems with that even in multiply patched stable versions.

Great to hear i was just paranoid. :)

Tyrion
Aug 30, 2005

Pissflaps posted:

How likely is it that Opera will support h264 in html5?

I'm not really sure, but I doubt support will be included in the near future. It might be possible to get it through a separate GStreamer install.
http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2009/12/31/re-introducing-video

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Tyrion posted:

Don't suppose you know if the transparency flickering is being fixed? Might just be because I'm using the Glass skin but when scrolling occasionally the entire screen will flicker to my background. I read it was something about large images and the memory cache but I increased mine to 100MB and it still happens.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Another new Windows only snapshot.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I've got a need to make url link files on my computer but it's extremely cumbersome to do this the basic way (you need to drag the icon, and only the icon, from the address bar to your desktop, which requires you to not be maximized and have dead space, you can't drag it to your taskbar or a hand explorer window either). Is there a better way? Is there a custom button which will create a link somewhere, anywhere? In an ideal world it would drop it in my download folder but at this point I don't care if it hid it randomly on my hard drive anywhere.

Any ideas or tips?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ok, that one freezes while trying to load my tabs.

I guess I'll just wait for a few versions.

Thanks for the update on that. :)
vvvv

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 8, 2010

Tyrion
Aug 30, 2005

Kameleon posted:

Don't suppose you know if the transparency flickering is being fixed?

Had a brief look but couldn't find this mentioned, so don't know...

Also the GDI fix didn't get in today's build by the way.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Haha, awesome. I love how we have goon spies in every company nowadays. Thanks for giving us the update, Tyrion. Now we won't put more effort into trying to narrow it down. Keep up the good work. :)

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Is there a way to make the status field a popup like Chrome instead of being on an always-on bar? Would save me a hell of a lot of screen real estate.

the Dealy Lama
Apr 2, 2005
Hail Eris! Hail Eris! Hail Eris!
You used to be able to have the status bar show up in the address bar, but I didn't use that so I can't remember if it's still a feature.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kameleon posted:

Is there a way to make the status field a popup like Chrome instead of being on an always-on bar? Would save me a hell of a lot of screen real estate.
I think this is what you want: right click address bar > Customize > Appearance > Toolbars > Progress bar > Pop-up at bottom.

Edit: I missed other Windows only snapshot last night. Middle click scrolling is back, but that new tab mouse gesture is still opening a blank page at default. :(

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 9, 2010

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Blodskur posted:

I think this is what you want: right click address bar > Customize > Appearance > Toolbars > Progress bar > Pop-up at bottom.

Status field, not progress bar. Currently my status bar only contains the status field and a couple of buttons that I only have there to make it look a bit more full, I would like to eliminate it altogether.

I can't see any way to get the status field to appear inside the address bar, that would be an ideal solution for me.

Tyrion
Aug 30, 2005

Kameleon posted:

Status field, not progress bar. Currently my status bar only contains the status field and a couple of buttons that I only have there to make it look a bit more full, I would like to eliminate it altogether.

I can't see any way to get the status field to appear inside the address bar, that would be an ideal solution for me.

Maybe Customize -> Appearance -> Buttons -> Status -> Status field, drag to address bar somewhere. It won't go inside the address field though...

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Two new builds today. I don't see anything about the GDI handles thing, but that could well be rolled into the "various fixes" category. There don't seem to be any known issues either. The comments are talking about crashes on various pages and youtube is a little spotty.

This sounds interesting though: "Fixed DSK-279255 Middle mouse doesn't scroll". Having autoscroll break after a few days of use until I restart Opera has been a regular feature of 9.10. Hopefully this was that.

"Opera is now using the Java Plug-in instead of native Java.": What? I don't understand this. It was always using Sun's plugin and it still is. What's changed?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Windows Beta snapshot. The new tab gesture not showing speed dial has been fixed.

Also:

Desktop Team Blog posted:

DSK-279299 Serious GDI leak in Evenes

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Blodskur posted:

Windows Beta snapshot. The new tab gesture not showing speed dial has been fixed.
Hell yes! Almost ready to switch for good. Now i only need to have the Glass Skin fixed.

Middle clicking on a bookmark folder still doesn't open all the bookmarks in it, but i hardly used that.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 10, 2010

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Tyrion posted:

Maybe Customize -> Appearance -> Buttons -> Status -> Status field, drag to address bar somewhere. It won't go inside the address field though...

At 1024x600 there isn't enough horizontal room for that either. A Chrome-like popup or replacing the address bar on hover would be the best solutions.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Now i only need to have the Glass Skin fixed.

What's wrong with it? Apart from making all the other browsers very jealous...

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Kameleon posted:

What's wrong with it? Apart from making all the other browsers very jealous...
Both in normal and maximized state 1.19,1.23,1.32,1.33 disables the min/max and close buttons in the top right corner. 1.11 works oddly enough.

Some other things:
-The gesture system still seems a bit wonky. Occasionally the window will just close when i try to do the "new tab" gesture, the "close tab" gesture is only recognized 50% of the time, "reload" requires a much more precise and bigger up-down movement than before. I already played around with the treshhold value, but alt tabbing from 10.10 to 10.50 and using the same gestures its persistence is starting to irk me.

-For some reason occasionally the small previews while hovering over a tab always show up on my second screen, even when the browser is on the primary screen.

-Flash rendering is still broken with multiple windows if you create a tab in one, then drag the tab to create a new window after starting the player:

Click here for the full 1723x1054 image.

Also redragging the tabs back into the original window fails to update the draw area:

Click here for the full 1424x1044 image.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 10, 2010

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Is it a weird quirk with 10.5 or have the SA ads gone poo poo again? The top ad won't ever load and without it loading I can't block it.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Both in normal and maximized state 1.19,1.23,1.32,1.33 disables the min/max and close buttons in the top right corner. 1.11 works oddly enough.

Working fine for me in 1.33. There's no hover animation on the buttons but they work. Moving the tab bar off the title bar restores the hover animation.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Some other things:
-The gesture system still seems a bit wonky. Occasionally the window will just close when i try to do the "new tab" gesture, the "close tab" gesture is only recognized 50% of the time, "reload" requires a much more precise and bigger up-down movement than before. I already played around with the treshhold value, but alt tabbing from 10.10 to 10.50 and using the same gestures its persistence is starting to irk me.

My gestures are working fine too. I changed the threshold value before they 'fixed' it and haven't changed it back. I'm using three-finger swipes on my touchpad rather than a mouse, though.

Can't comment on the dual-screen issue or flash, really. Are you sure that's skin-related and not just 10.5 bugs?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

The GDI stuff is really fixed extremely well. I am all sorts of impressed now. 80 tabs with very varied content open and only 348 GDI objects used. This is the best-behaved I have Opera ever seen in regards to that.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
WTF Opera Mini on the iPhone?

http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/10/opera-mini-iphone/

I'm not sure what Apple's going to do. Any bets?

EDIT: Some of the TC commenters make a good point, Opera Mini is basically a web enabled photo viewer with some HTML <map> thrown in. Obviously an oversimplification, but as long as Opera's servers handle all the data and stick to Apple's APIs shouldn't it get approved pretty quick?

down1nit fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 11, 2010

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

down1nit posted:

WTF Opera Mini on the iPhone?

http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/10/opera-mini-iphone/

I'm not sure what Apple's going to do. Any bets?

EDIT: Some of the TC commenters make a good point, Opera Mini is basically a web enabled photo viewer with some HTML <map> thrown in. Obviously an oversimplification, but as long as Opera's servers handle all the data and stick to Apple's APIs shouldn't it get approved pretty quick?

I sure as hell hope so. My mobile data costs are way to high.
Didn't apple kill google voice because it 'replicated built-in phone featutes' or something?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

down1nit posted:

but as long as Opera's servers handle all the data and stick to Apple's APIs shouldn't it get approved pretty quick?

Not gonna happen.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Awesome. Work is canceled again today and the 10.5 beta is out.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Wow, this version is sexy. Opera continues to be the best browser.

alltoohuman
Jul 26, 2007

Shut up, Marx.

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Awesome. Work is canceled again today and the 10.5 beta is out.

Just installed it. This new javascript engine is all that Opera needed to be the definitive best--though here's hoping things get worked out with the whole h.264 issue at some point.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
According to desktopteam blog it's a new build, too, not the RC from yesterday.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Flash rendering is still broken with multiple windows if you create a tab in one, then drag the tab to create a new window after starting the player:

Click here for the full 1723x1054 image.

Also redragging the tabs back into the original window fails to update the draw area:

Click here for the full 1424x1044 image.

This issue persists with (and only with) the latest beta release. Can anyone confirm this or is it a broken flash install (newest version) on my machine?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

According to desktopteam blog it's a new build, too, not the RC from yesterday.

Wait what, I thought they were just starting to put out betas. Since when are they anywhere near RC status?

e: Oh you're talking about this
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/02/11/windows-beta-released-and-more
which uses the confusing terminology of a "Beta RC". Now Windows users have the "Final Beta" I guess.

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This issue persists with (and only with) the latest beta release. Can anyone confirm this or is it a broken flash install (newest version) on my machine?

Just installed and mine does the same thing. Flash video stays in original spot when I drag that tab out.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

ColdPie posted:

Wait what, I thought they were just starting to put out betas. Since when are they anywhere near RC status?

e: Oh you're talking about this
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/02/11/windows-beta-released-and-more
which uses the confusing terminology of a "Beta RC". Now Windows users have the "Final Beta" I guess.

Yeah, sorry. RCs of betas is pretty :wtf:

Today's "final beta" is not the same as the "beta RC" from yesterday. :)

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
I upgraded to the 10.5 beta, and now my bookmarks are all 'gone'.

They're on the Link server, and I have my bookmarks.ini - but whatever I do, I can't seem to either make it recognise them or re-sync.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
I've waited to switch until the beta came out, and I'm absolutely loving this update. Faster web page loads, separated Widgets, and it has all the interface niceties of Chrome, plus all the customizability that makes Opera so awesome. I must say, this is probably one of their most significant updates yet.

Edit: Hmm, does anyone here edit Wikipedia? It seems the edit box doesn't work for me. The text shows up, but clicking on it does nothing, and its scrollbar doesn't work either.

Edit 2: VVVV
Ctrl + F12 is Preferences, and Shift + F12 is Appearance, but I can't seem to find any settings for the menu bar in there. If you can't either, you can always reinstall.

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 12, 2010

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I got the beta and the first thing I did was to remove the button on the top left that displays the menu bar stuff. And now I can't get it back. Even if I click on the toolbar that has the tabs and tell it to revert to defaults, I still can't get that button back. Any ideas?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bonus posted:

I got the beta and the first thing I did was to remove the button on the top left that displays the menu bar stuff. And now I can't get it back. Even if I click on the toolbar that has the tabs and tell it to revert to defaults, I still can't get that button back. Any ideas?
Alt, Show Menu Bar. I selected that twice (to get rid of the actual menu bar), and it brought it back.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 12, 2010

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I think the new menu is slowly growing on me. It's taking me a while to find things but I'm getting better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Ah, cool. If I can open the menu by pressing alt then I don't even need the drat button. Nice.