Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The reason there was a US title tournament for Storm to win is because of Russo coming back and stripping all the titles. Russo most likely gave Storm that push. What Russo giveth, Russo can taketh away.

No, that was a different US title tournament. Storm signed about 2 months after that tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The reason there was a US title tournament for Storm to win is because of Russo coming back and stripping all the titles. Russo most likely gave Storm that push. What Russo giveth, Russo can taketh away.

If I remember correctly, Lance Storm's push was based on a Terry Taylor bet. He had very little to do with Vince Russo. Once Russo came in, I'm pretty sure that was when it was decide Jim Duggan had to join and that blonde would be kidnapped by Canada.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

MassRayPer posted:

No, that was a different US title tournament. Storm signed about 2 months after that tournament.

There were two US title tournaments back to back? I didn't remember that.

Upon looking, Storm won the title one week after Bash at the Beach 2000. Hogan and Bischoff left but Russo had to be still in charge at the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

There were two US title tournaments back to back? I didn't remember that.

Upon looking, Storm won the title one week after Bash at the Beach 2000. Hogan and Bischoff left but Russo had to be still in charge at the time.

Russo took a 3 week vacation between Bash at the Beach and New Blood Rising is I remember correctly, during that period Johnny Ace and Terry Taylor had the book.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Johnny Ace, Ed Ferrara and Terry Taylor took over for Russo for a bit after Bischoff left and Russo had injured himself. Yes, this was after the reboot, but it was before Russo returned.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 9, 2010

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

oddly enough, one of the biggest problems WCW had was that it was possible to attain the top slot in the writing staff.

Let me explain what I mean: in WWF/WWE, ultimately what Vince says goes. If he loves an angle, it flies, if he hates it, it flops. This meant that booking tended to be all about his tastes (especially his taste for overmuscled hosses), but it meant that booking was consistent in that the final arbiter of what was being done was always the same guy.

In WCW, the person with pretty much the final say was not an owner but an employee, and employees could be replaced. Hence, the book passed from guy to guy, and each new guy had different priorities to the old guy. Kip Frye didn't work like Bill Watts, Bill Watts didn't work like Dusty Rhodes, Dusty Rhodes didn't work like Kevin Sullivan, Kevin Sullivan didn't work like Eric Bischoff, and nobody in their right mind worked like Vince Russo. Hence the product becomes inconsistent. People are heavily pushed and then forgotten about, storylines are started and abandoned. Nothing ultimately makes sense, because the guy who set it in motion isn't there any more, or doesn't have the book any more.

EricCrapton
Dec 17, 2009
I THINK ALL WOMEN ARE DUMB BROADS

Lone Rogue posted:

At that point it was more 30 year olds. People forget that Shawn was in his thirties being a Degenerate.

Yeah but at least the original DX was pretty amusing and vulgar. When I saw Shawn and Hunter doing crotch chops and making dick jokes, I thought it fit them. When I saw Kevin Nash and Lex Luger and Sting walking down to the ring to rap music and trying to be hip, I thought it was goofy.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

EricCrapton posted:

Yeah but at least the original DX was pretty amusing and vulgar. When I saw Shawn and Hunter doing crotch chops and making dick jokes, I thought it fit them. When I saw Kevin Nash and Lex Luger and Sting walking down to the ring to rap music and trying to be hip, I thought it was goofy.

I'll give you Sting and Luger. Hennig too, he was there for a very short time. Nash, Macho and Konnan made sense. Oddly, so did Disco.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

I'll give you Sting and Luger. Hennig too, he was there for a very short time. Nash, Macho and Konnan made sense. Oddly, so did Disco.

Michaels in DX was 32.

The Wolfpac had the following members:

Randy Savage: 46
Kevin Nash: 39
Konnan: 34
Hennig: 40
Elizabeth: 38
Luger: 40
Sting: 39

Of those, Konnan was the only one who looked like he lived the gimmick, Kevin Nash was kind of "cool" and the rest were middle aged guys (and girl) who made NO SENSE in what was a part of a two year old gimmick.

So I can see why fans saw DX as young and hip and the Wolfpac was mocked for being geezers.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Every single time someone says Wolfpack I always think about "GUSS WHO'S BACK? THE BAD BOYS OF WRESTLING."

The bad boys of wrestling, folks.

I don't care if I am running this in to the ground, THE BAD BOYS OF WRESTLING.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

Michaels in DX was 32.

Rick Rude was 39.

:smug:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

When I think of the thing that pretty much defined the stupidity of WCW, I think it was the junkyard brawl thing they had. That had the potential of being so good yet ended up being so so soooo bad.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coconono posted:

When I think of the thing that pretty much defined the stupidity of WCW, I think it was the junkyard brawl thing they had. That had the potential of being so good yet ended up being so so soooo bad.

And seriously injured about 90% of the people in it!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't Finlay almost have to have his left leg (below the knee) amputated because of that match?

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
please tell me you're talking about a literal brawl in a non-gimmicked junkyard where wrestlers were falling on like, rusty springs and poo poo.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
yep

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sugar Blaster posted:

please tell me you're talking about a literal brawl in a non-gimmicked junkyard where wrestlers were falling on like, rusty springs and poo poo.

At one point the nasty boys tried to push a stack of cars onto Sandman. I think. It could have been Public Enemy.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

bobkatt013 posted:

I still want to know how. No one really took any bumps in it.

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
This wasn't just any fight. It was an invitational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lSjr_3XZ5o&feature=related

I particularly love min. 3:10 when Hugh Morris no-sells a trash can tin off his head.

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

Sugar Blaster posted:

Apparently cost em $150,000 as well, and they didn't advertise it. Say what you want about TNA, but they haven't done anything that stupid...yet.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Apparently cost em $150,000 as well, and they didn't advertise it. Say what you want about TNA, but they haven't done anything that stupid...yet.

In the very least it was built up on TV. Not very well, but it was built to.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Didn't Finlay almost have to have his left leg (below the knee) amputated because of that match?

No, that was at a house show in Germany against Norman Smiley; they did a table-in-the-corner spot and a broken piece of table went through his leg.

But the junkyard invitational is one of the worst things ever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Awesome quote from the new back issue of the Observer:

Dave Meltzer on or around 12/14/92 posted:

Greg Gagne was introduced to the guys backstage at the Center Stage tapings on 12/7. He's expected to become a new member of the creative team. Rumors there will be another key addition. If you ask what Greg's qualifications are considering that even though the AWA was a very successful promotion at one time, it's television and overall product was always years behind the rest of the country and it only thrived when it was a monopoly promotion in a town and collapsed under competition many years ago in all its markets. However, Greg was a third-string quarterback when he played college football and the son of a famous wrestler. That should make him qualified for any job in this business.

A few paragraphs later:

quote:

Ron Simmons' new music sucks.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

This wasn't just any fight. It was an invitational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lSjr_3XZ5o&feature=related

I particularly love min. 3:10 when Hugh Morris no-sells a trash can tin off his head.
this is the pinnacle of professional wrestling. the apex. all other matches claw for scraps at the bottom of the olympian pantheon from atop of which this match reigns supreme.

the spot @ 6:25 where sandman literally yells "C'MERE" and pulls someone over to provide an adequate crash pad for silver king or someone, and like six guys awkwardly stand around for fifteen seconds half-heartedly groping one another is the funniest thing.

Sugar Blaster fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 11, 2010

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the problem with any match like this is that if the camera is in the right place at the right time, the spot looks staged, and if the camera isn't, then you don't see the spot at all. Reminds me of the Mankind / Undertaker Boiler Room Brawl, where WWF thought it would be more realistic to do it without commentary, and thus managed to kill the heat of the match because it was guys two guys knocking the crap out of each other in silence.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

holy poo poo. the fire is just raging and then there's a literal attempt at murder via car crusher.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

That junkyard match reminds me way too much of the fight scene in Anchorman.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

millardo72 posted:

I now have an image of Fit Finlay taking Dorothy Mantooth out for a a nice seafood dinner and never calling her again.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
So, watching the junkyard battle royal, and it's pretty terrible, largely because they didn't get lighting in so anything could be seen. But hey, some funny things:

"we haven't seen the man who made this invitational yet, hak"
"oh, there he is"
hak is clutching his balls, presumeably after being hit with a low blow of some kind

somebody missing a senton off a car onto another car
"gives a new meaning to luchadore flying high"
no, no it doesn't tony

The announcers talking about how at least the battle royal isn't being fought during the day, because when somebody's trying to push a car onto you, the temperature is your biggest concern.

at about 6:30, the shot visibly shows hak calling people over to catch a guy who's setting up for a dive

It's 10 minutes into the drat match, before a shot of the gate (which you have to escape over to win) is shown.

Over the course of the match, only 2 god drat people try to win, and finlay, after narrowly avoiding being murdered, just walks over and nobody stops him from winning

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

millardo72 posted:

Hak: Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast!
Finlay: It jumped up a notch.
Hak: It did, didn't it?
El Dandy: Yeah, I crushed a man.
Hak: I saw that! El Dandy killed a guy! Did you throw him in a car crusher?
El Dandy: Yeah, there were fences, and a car on fire, and I killed a guy in a compactor.
Hak: El Dandy, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should probably find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Matlock posted:

Hak: Boy, that escalated quickly. I mean, that really got out of hand fast!
Finlay: It jumped up a notch.
Hak: It did, didn't it?
El Dandy: Yeah, I crushed a man.
Hak: I saw that! El Dandy killed a guy! Did you throw him in a car crusher?
El Dandy: Yeah, there were fences, and a car on fire, and I killed a guy in a compactor.
Hak: El Dandy, I've been meaning to talk to you about that. You should probably find yourself a safehouse or a relative close by. Lay low for a while, because you're probably wanted for murder.

Well who is there to doubt El Dandy?

HarvestFly94
Nov 4, 2002

Who betta than Mortis?

coconono posted:

At one point the nasty boys tried to push a stack of cars onto Sandman. I think. It could have been Public Enemy.

Public Enemy flip a car over about a minute in, for apparently no reason. There's no one standing anywhere near them.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I am glad the camera cut back to that car for no reason just in time to catch the explosion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

New Blood Rising is on WWE Classics On Demand. Will my head explode if I watch it?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I think you should watch it. Everyone should see just how bad wrestling pay-per-views can truly be.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm pretty sure it's widely regarded as the very worst high-profile PPV of all time.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

LividLiquid posted:

I'm pretty sure it's widely regarded as the very worst high-profile PPV of all time.

I don't know.

Great American Bash '04, '05, and 06 were all pretty horrible.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If you think anything on those PPVs holds a candle to the worst of New Blood Rising, you're drunk.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

LividLiquid posted:

If you think anything on those PPVs holds a candle to the worst of New Blood Rising, you're drunk.

It wasn't even like "oh this is bad booking I am not enjoying it." I was actually angry as I was watching it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Me too. It was the last WCW PPV I ever paid for. I was loving FURIOUS.