Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

drzrma posted:

They do tend to collapse if buried, and they rust like nobody's business if they are allowed to stay damp. I thought I saw someone in AI that had built one into a pretty decent looking shop, but I can't remember who or when.

I remember that it was a turbo dodge guy, if that's any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

economic haircut
Jul 5, 2008
The mining industry never ceases to amaze me.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Click here for the full 625x500 image.

Click here for the full 640x423 image.

Click here for the full 640x426 image.

EDIT My all time favorite:

How'd they even get that in there?

economic haircut fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 11, 2010

Kerosene19
May 7, 2007

I got this one in my inbox today. The hangar at the Dulles Jet Center collapsed under the weight of snow and wrecked 4 planes.

edit: corrected number of planes damaged.

Kerosene19 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 11, 2010

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Slow is Fast posted:

I remember that it was a turbo dodge guy, if that's any help.

It was dorquemada, I haven't seen him post in a while. His little K cars were a perfect fit.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Detonation is bad, kids. However, if you know a badass with a welder, he can fix you up proper.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Captain Postal posted:

I'd be willing to bet that many are "lost" rather than lost, because no one wants their contents to be found
Either/or... dumped is still lost as sea.

Fermunky posted:

I guess in comparison to the total number of containers shipped, it's not a huge percent. But I am actually shocked to hear that many containers are simply lost at sea. Does that happen simply by a boat tilting enough and they just fall off, or rogue wave etc...?
Big seas, big waves, broken lashings, forgot to install inter-container locks (twistloks), or longshoreman mishandling in port.

grover posted:

Archaeologists of the future will thank us.

No doubt our plastic toys and rubber duckies will tell them a great deal about our civilization.

We've tried to move the "floating" containers. You have to remember that they are 53' long, 8' wide, and ~8' high. 3392 cubic feet of space. If you fill that even 1/2 way with something that floats (sea water is ~64 lbs/cubic foot), call it 45lbs per cubic foot.
3392 cubic feet, divided by 2=1696 cubic feet*45#/cubic foot=84,800lbs of CARGO. (The load limit for a 40 ft container is 30,000KG, I don't have the figure for a 54. Ignore the fact that its half full of seawater, which is at least another 50,000# of water. Not a chance in hell of moving it, tipping it, or even towing it very effectively. The best thing you can do is report it, and hope the CG can tow it or sink it. The one we saw was way out of the shipping lanes, and we were well out of VHF contact with the CG. Oh well, hopefully no one ran into it. Just an FYI, mounting a gun on ANY vessel in the US is a terrible idea, as is making any hidden compartments.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 11, 2010

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

orange lime posted:

Of course, if you live in Phoenix like 2/3 of the population does, you have to obey CARB emissions requirements. 4 wheels, a seat, and three catalytic converters and a vapor reclamation system :downs:

I've run cars through with injectors unplugged to reduce the fuel going in so it'd be lean enough to pass. The visual inspectors here aren't exactly sharp.

Also, I'm pretty sure the last time I ran my Volvo through, the guy was tired of seeing the car over and over again and stopped the test early so it'd pass :v:

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

frozenphil posted:

Detonation is bad, kids. However, if you know a badass with a welder, he can fix you up proper.

pics

This is not horrible mechanical failures. This is amazing mechanical miracles.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
e;f;b

jamal fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 11, 2010

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

frozenphil posted:

I refuse to believe this kind of quality work can be cheaper than a new head.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Fist of Freud posted:

Planes

The way their noses are up in the air makes it look like they're being buggered. By the roof.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
In reply to all this container talk, check out this video, towards the end, to see what kind of damage big waves can do to ships and their cargo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HZvg0M2Xk

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Good lord, that's insane.

Those containers were stacked at least six high and that last wave went right over the top of them!

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
OK this is scheduled maintenance and not routine failure, but not often do you get to see impellers this large. Mind you, this is from a "small" slow-speed marine diesel.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Ak Gara posted:

I refuse to believe this kind of quality work can be cheaper than a new head.

That's an extensively worked over Ford 4.6L SOHC NPI head. It would cost roughly $1000 to buy a new head and redo the port work to it vs. the $550 it cost to repair it.

Note: The spark plug didn't blow out. :keke:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

incredibull posted:

If you're going to transport it like that, you just have to mount it on bearings so it'll spin as you're driving along.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 11, 2010

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

incredibull posted:

OK this is scheduled maintenance and not routine failure, but not often do you get to see impellers this large. Mind you, this is from a "small" slow-speed marine diesel.

Not being familiar with .5 ton turbo impellers, what is the scheduled maintenance that this will see? Cleaning?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I like to believe that the pickup truck has a permanently-mounted frame in the bed specifically for carrying those around.

And yeah, it would be so much cooler if it were on bearings. I wonder how fast it would spin in a 60mph wind?

bolind posted:

In reply to all this container talk, check out this video, towards the end, to see what kind of damage big waves can do to ships and their cargo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HZvg0M2Xk

I cannot believe that they're allowed to have an open spinning shaft like that. I know it's got a railing in front of it, but if you get your hand caught anywhere near that green support you don't have a hand any more :gonk:

orange lime fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 11, 2010

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

orange lime posted:

I like to believe that the pickup truck has a permanently-mounted frame in the bed specifically for carrying those around.

And yeah, it would be so much cooler if it were on bearings. I wonder how fast it would spin in a 60mph wind?

I cannot believe that they're allowed to have an open spinning shaft like that. I know it's got a railing in front of it, but if you get your hand caught anywhere near that green support you don't have a hand any more :gonk:

Imagine getting caught on it and flopping around and around and around and around and around. There's so much torque it wouldn't slow in the slightest. You'd just flail and flop and splat until completely shredded.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

trouser chili posted:

Imagine getting caught on it and flopping around and around and around and around and around. There's so much torque it wouldn't slow in the slightest. You'd just flail and flop and splat until completely shredded.

100 rpm direct drive and tens of thousands of horsepower. There really isn't a word for how much torque that is. I'll have to see if I can dig up the data files from the radio telemetry strain gauge test I did on one of those in college.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

What the gently caress happened here?

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

sandoz posted:

100 rpm direct drive and tens of thousands of horsepower. There really isn't a word for how much torque that is. I'll have to see if I can dig up the data files from the radio telemetry strain gauge test I did on one of those in college.

Sure there is. Torque = (hp*5252)/engine speed at which hp was measured. If it's putting out 10,000hp at 100 rpm that's 525,000 lb-ft.

As I said, :gonk:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Doctor Zero posted:

Clockwork Sputnik's girlfriend.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine_Maersk
84,484hp

Although, this is wikipedia, it says the top speed is 256.1 knots (294mph)

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

orange lime posted:

If you've never been to an industrial factory you should give it a shot. It's like they're made for killing careless people.

One time while inspecting equipment I almost fell down a 20' ladder-cage because one of the employees forgot to put the chain-guard back up. Guy at a factory I did some work for had one of his fingers ripped off by a vibratory conveyor, but that was his fault. He had the thing re-attached, and I poo poo you not, did the same exact thing a few months later while relating the story of what happened, though he kept the finger that time.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

orange lime posted:

I can't think of any real sized ship I've been on that had much more shaft enclosure than that. Even on yacht size stuff shafts are usually only covered by floorboards, they're bare and exposed in the bilge/shaft alley once you pull those up.

There really isn't much you could get snagged in though, if you look the shaft is perfectly smooth and it's not doing all that many rpm. You might be able to lose a finger if you really worked at it playing around the bearings, but usually if you are that retarded you end up as a mate before you finish engineering school. Anywhere there are exposed moving parts or stuff you could get hung up in should have some kind of cage or other enclosure, it's just not a real issue with the aftermost parts of the shaft. I worry more about the hose clamps on yacht sized shaft seals, those bastards are sharp and tend to be rusty.

Should something go wrong, it's not just the torque, it's the momentum of the rotating bits. I've seen someone have their arm broken in six or seven places due to a fuckup with a medium sized hobart floor mixer. Machine was turned off, they got hung up while it was spinning down. Happened in just a moment and was probably one of the most horrible sounds I've ever heard.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

MonkeyNutZ posted:

84,484hp

Holy poo poo why does it take so long to get cheap poo poo from china? With ships that fast I should get stuff YESTERDAY!

ab0z fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 12, 2010

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

ab0z posted:

Holy poo poo why does it take so long to get cheap poo poo from china? I with ships that fast I should get stuff YESTERDAY!

See, it's not the travel time from china to a US port. The ship gets here in just a few hours, getting it all unloaded takes time, and there are lots of further fuckup opportunities before USPS/UPS/Fedex get to stack heavy poo poo on it and throw it around.

Although with that top speed, they can probably only carry whatever cargo the crew is smuggling, rest of the ship is all fuel tank.

Napkin math reveals they'd need something on the order of a quarter billion SHP to do do 256 knots, and that's very generously assuming that a 347m long ship approximates the drag of a medium sized powerboat. Fuel consumption would be an astronomical number of tons per hour.

drzrma fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 11, 2010

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Dave Inc. posted:

If you've never been to an industrial factory you should give it a shot. It's like they're made for killing careless people.

I've never been more in awe of sheer danger than the time I toured a smelter.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

trouser chili posted:

I've never been more in awe of sheer danger than the time I toured a smelter.

There are a thousand ways to die in a cereal plant, I wouldn't gently caress with smelting.

But you haven't lived until you've wandered the basement of a recently flooded coal power plant. Handrails and platforms covered in wet mud in cave-like darkness?! Okay great!

Thinking back I don't know how we were allowed down there at that stage of the recovery, that was just stupid.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dave Inc. posted:

There are a thousand ways to die in a cereal plant, I wouldn't gently caress with smelting.

But you haven't lived until you've wandered the basement of a recently flooded coal power plant. Handrails and platforms covered in wet mud in cave-like darkness?! Okay great!

Thinking back I don't know how we were allowed down there at that stage of the recovery, that was just stupid.

Post stories of horrible mechanical failures, too, please?

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

angryhampster posted:

Not being familiar with .5 ton turbo impellers, what is the scheduled maintenance that this will see? Cleaning?

Cleaning, replacement of fatigued impeller fins, machining or replacement of worn shaft bearing journals, etc.

orange lime posted:

I cannot believe that they're allowed to have an open spinning shaft like that. I know it's got a railing in front of it, but if you get your hand caught anywhere near that green support you don't have a hand any more

That's why there's the DEADMAN ALARM. Of course, it won't help you, because you're dead. It's just there to let everyone else know that since you didn't press the button on time, you're probably dead (or on Russian vessels, the engineer is drunk and passed out).

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dave Inc. posted:

Like a janitor at one of our plants who was cleaning around a machine mid-production without securing her hair or wearing the protective headgear (as required) and was scalped. :ohdear:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

economic haircut posted:

The mining industry never ceases to amaze me.

nothing wrong with this picture. just poppin a wheelie to impress the shovel operator.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Doctor Zero posted:

Taking a guess, it got too close to the edge and fell.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Goober Peas posted:

Like a janitor at one of our plants who was cleaning around a machine mid-production without securing her hair or wearing the protective headgear (as required) and was scalped. :ohdear:

Oh good god. I don't even know what the aftermath of something like that would be like. Scarring all over your scalp? Does the hair even grow back? gently caress that's terrible.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

84,484hp

quote:

Speed: 25.6 knots (maximum)
24.2 knots (cruising)

...but it says 25.6?

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

incredibull posted:

Oh good god. I don't even know what the aftermath of something like that would be like. Scarring all over your scalp? Does the hair even grow back? gently caress that's terrible.

Ideally, they find your scalp and replant it. Barring that, you get skin grafts, which end up looking pretty strange. Google scalp avulsion if you want to see what it looks like (don't do this).

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

deviant. posted:

...but it says 25.6?
drat you web 2.0 and your editing speed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Fats posted:

Ideally, they find your scalp and replant it. Barring that, you get skin grafts, which end up looking pretty strange. Google scalp avulsion if you want to see what it looks like (don't do this).
The first page didn't look as bad as I would have imagined. I am not going to page 2 though.

Fist of Freud posted:

I got this one in my inbox today. The hangar at the Dulles Jet Center collapsed under the weight of snow and wrecked 4 planes.
One of the Smithsonian aircraft warehouses collapsed the other day too, but luckily they don't think any artifacts were damaged.