Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

frest posted:

Is the rim of the base just bare plastic? Maybe paint it a granite color or something so it's not as plain?

Actually, I inked it back to a solid black. I kinda like having that solid rim on there so it still looks like a game piece and doesn't look as awkward on tabletops that aren't the same color as the bases. They're kinda shiny irl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Fix posted:

Actually, I inked it back to a solid black. I kinda like having that solid rim on there so it still looks like a game piece and doesn't look as awkward on tabletops that aren't the same color as the bases. They're kinda shiny irl.

Ah cool, I couldn't tell from the pic. In general they're not too busy and don't distract, I'd leave them then.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
All the cool kids use black base rims these days :smug:

And ya those are pretty sweet Fix. Nothing like a cohesive basing scheme to give everything that final touch, huh?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

It's like a rug that really ties the room together.

So having not used flock grass before, would bad things happen if I were to hit them with another layer of dullcote?

e: vvvvv Groovy.

Fix fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 11, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I doubt it would change anything, the only basing product you dont want to dullcote is water effects, afaik

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
So Fix all you need now is a bunch of Rhinos, eh? :v:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Black base rims 4 lyfe

PaintVagrant posted:

I doubt it would change anything, the only basing product you dont want to dullcote is water effects, afaik
And static grass, right? Or am I wrong? Again... :(

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Aranan posted:

Black base rims 4 lyfe

And static grass, right? Or am I wrong? Again... :(

Dullcoat actually helps the grass stay on there a bit better. It doesn't really mat it down, or it shouldn't unless you loving douse the model with it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Chenghiz posted:

So Fix all you need now is a bunch of Rhinos, eh? :v:
Why, you sellin?

I've got like a dozen of them, and now I have to figure out which go with my marines and which go with my sisters, and which will be saved off for my next army.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Fix posted:

Why, you sellin?

I've got like a dozen of them, and now I have to figure out which go with my marines and which go with my sisters, and which will be saved off for my next army.

No, I just felt like pointing out how many vehicles you have to paint now. (:

Props for having a Witchhunters army that is simultaneously nonstandard and is well-painted. I don't envy you, though.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ugh. I know. I've only got two painted tanks so far, with a couple more partly done. Not looking forward to the experience.

Speaking of those marines, I reshot them. Gonna have to do this in a proper lightbox, but I'm enjoying the natural light look.

If I ever got around to painting anything other than basic troops, I might be able to have a complete army one of these days! :v:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

Ugh. I know. I've only got two painted tanks so far, with a couple more partly done. Not looking forward to the experience.

Airbrush man, that poo poo will set you freeee

(Ask PV about this)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

FUCKMOTHERFUCK SNOT GREEN ON BLACK PRIMER ASFOIAFASC_A)FUA_FAPOFH"APGOH

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

Someone buy this title for PV.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Fix posted:

Speaking of those marines, I reshot them. Gonna have to do this in a proper lightbox, but I'm enjoying the natural light look.

If I ever got around to painting anything other than basic troops, I might be able to have a complete army one of these days! :v:

How'd you do the guy hanging off the side? Looks really loving awesome.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sole.Sushi posted:

How'd you do the guy hanging off the side? Looks really loving awesome.

Outermost leg is from a Ravenwing biker, innermost is a regular marine leg all chopped to gently caress, all the ugliness wrapped up by greenstuff robes. Outermost arm magnetized for gun/chainsword. The handle he's hanging onto is just paperclip drilled through the top of the door and bent around the backside to anchor it to the magnets inside. Where his hand clips onto that hook and where his foot rests in the ladder pincer him perfectly to hang on. I don't really remember what I had to do for that hand.

I'm using him and the duder riding on top as markers for when squads are onboard the rhinos. I've got to figure out a couple more, since I'm running like 5 or 6 rhinos in this army.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Fix posted:

I'm using him and the duder riding on top as markers for when squads are onboard the rhinos. I've got to figure out a couple more, since I'm running like 5 or 6 rhinos in this army.

This is the best idea ever.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

My brother called dibs on this but, gently caress it, he's never going to do it and I want to see it done. I want someone to do a Raptor Chapter Marines army using the Space Wolf codex. Use these guys Make the cav either marines on those guys or Cold Ones and make the wolf pack those guys.

My brother and I started playing in 2nd Ed and we both played a little in 3rd Ed. His exact words were, "If they ever make the game playable again, that's what I'm doing. Don't go posting it on the internet." I'm sure someone has thought of it but I haven't seen it done well or at all.

He's got a totally playable Eldar force he's trying to sell and I've have had a fully painted Witchhunters (completely Sister's) Army that's been sitting in the case for years because we don't play 40K. He's not going to pick it up again so I want to see someone else do it.

I painted that one Raptor Chapter marine and decided if I was ever going to paint marines, that would be the one I would do. But then I realized that my true 40K love was the one I started with, bugs. Especially with googly eyes. I painted a handful of them this week and they make me so happy every time I see them.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

I think the Raptors chapter is modeled after the bird type (eagle, falcon, etc.) rather than the dinosaur. That being said, go for it: they fight in jungles, so I'm sure there are dinosaurs on some jungle deathworld in 40k.

Oddly, they also disregard the codex as much (or more) than Space Wolves do, so that also works in your favor.

EDIT: I've seen some photos of Black Templar atop carnosaurs. No idea what the story behind that is, but it's been done, at least partially.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 11, 2010

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!

PaintVagrant posted:

My bright green termy was a layer of snot and dark angels 1:1 over black and then two layers of snot and scorpion 1:1 over that. Maybe something similiar would help you?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
WIP of my Soul Grinder (as Defiler) for my Purge nurgle CSM army:

:catdrugs: INCOMING lovely CAMERA PHONE PICTURES :catdrugs:

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

CC welcomed!

e: front legs are magnetized, so the can go to different poses!

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Anphrax posted:

WIP of my Soul Grinder (as Defiler) for my Purge nurgle CSM army:

:catdrugs: INCOMING lovely CAMERA PHONE PICTURES :catdrugs:

CC welcomed!

e: front legs are magnetized, so the can go to different poses!

Looks like poo poo, in a good way. Translation: Good job. Loving the nurgle vibe with the phlegmy, bile-green color. I'd add some rust to the metal though--not the dirty kind, but the bright, orange kind. Something to really pop, you know?

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Any of you Eldar players out there with Wraithguard want to tell me how the hell you get them to stand up straight and not leaning way forward like they've necked a bottle of vodka?

Short of sanding down their heels and pinning them to their bases rather than using the tab that is. Because that's pretty much all I'm considering right now. That or using some greenstuff to pad the base out a bit so that they're standing on a slight slope rather than a flat surface.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

enri posted:

Any of you Eldar players out there with Wraithguard want to tell me how the hell you get them to stand up straight and not leaning way forward like they've necked a bottle of vodka?

Short of sanding down their heels and pinning them to their bases rather than using the tab that is. Because that's pretty much all I'm considering right now. That or using some greenstuff to pad the base out a bit so that they're standing on a slight slope rather than a flat surface.

Just how severe is the lean? I've assembled 25 of these things and have never run into this problem. I mean, a slight tilt forward is probably all right, but to what degree are we talking?

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Just dress up their warlock like Michael Jackson in Smooth Criminal and it'll be an awesome theme squad.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Fix posted:

Just how severe is the lean? I've assembled 25 of these things and have never run into this problem. I mean, a slight tilt forward is probably all right, but to what degree are we talking?

Ball park figure... about 30 degrees forward from being upright, it's enough that when you view the model top down, a good 50% of the model is leaning forward beyond the edge of the base.

2 of the 5 aren't leaning forward at all now that I've taken a closer look at them but the other 3 are leaning far enough forward to piss me off. It's one of those things I'm marginally OCD about when it comes to basing models :3:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

poo poo, bend the feet with pliers wrapped in tape. That ain't right. There's always a bit of lean, but not to the point where it should be causing balance issues.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Good call, hadn't thought about breaking out the pliers and to be honest, filing away their heels would look a bit daft in most instances.

Pliers it is! :v:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Fix posted:

That's crazy, I was thinking about doing this last night before I fell asleep, like so:

I just need to find a fuckton of stowage somewhere.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

GoodBee posted:

My brother called dibs on this but, gently caress it, he's never going to do it and I want to see it done. I want someone to do a Raptor Chapter Marines army using the Space Wolf codex. Use these guys Make the cav either marines on those guys or Cold Ones and make the wolf pack those guys.

That's crazy, you're crazy. Crazy. I'd recommend these if only because: A) They're plastic and therefore easier to work with, B) They have a harness sculpted on already, and C) Your reaper dinos look a little too spindly to be carrying Space Marines around on. Well, neither are Cold Ones, but you get the point. :v:

Also Maggie is going to be pissed that more people are starting counts-as Space Wolves. :smug:

quote:

I painted that one Raptor Chapter marine and decided if I was ever going to paint marines, that would be the one I would do. But then I realized that my true 40K love was the one I started with, bugs. Especially with googly eyes. I painted a handful of them this week and they make me so happy every time I see them.

They say every time you post about one's own googly-eye'd Nids on the internet without posting pictures, a small child drops his ice cream cone on the dirty ground. You monster. :colbert:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 11, 2010

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fyrbrand posted:

Airbrush man, that poo poo will set you freeee

(Ask PV about this)

It's so true and makes basecoating much easier.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Painted my truck on Tuesday and Wednesday at the store.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

Painted my truck on Tuesday and Wednesday at the store.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Looking great dude!

enri posted:

Good call, hadn't thought about breaking out the pliers and to be honest, filing away their heels would look a bit daft in most instances.

Pliers it is! :v:

While you are at it, use the pliers to bend the tab itself slightly on each side, so instead of it "floating" inside the slot, it actually fits inside the slot snugly, holding your model upright at the angle you want

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ok, for a while now I've been thinking about trying my hand at some sculpting. I've done some greenstuff work on conversions and so on, and while I'm not great its not like I'm going to get better without practice.

What I would like to do is sculpt something from the ground up. Armature, body, details, whole shebang. I know there are some companies (like reaper) that sell 'dolls' to work from, but I'm probably going to go with an oversize project to make things a little easier.

So my questions would be:

1) Anyone actually do significant amounts of sculpting and want to tell me where to look?
2) What do people generally use for armatures? I have a bunch of different wire, but I'm not sure how thick/thing/malleable would be appropriate. Does it matter?
3) Are there better putties for building the base shape, the details, etc? I have a tube of greenstuff, but if there is a better product to work the initial shape, I don't want to be struggling because I am using terrible tools.

There isn't much in the way of sculpting in the OP, so maybe this will kick off some interesting discussion or projects people have done.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I've just starting working in some additions of spines and greenstuff to a Tyranid Warrior to begin the process of Tyranid Prime assembly. It's my first time actually working with large bits of greenstuff to extend carapace and relatively flat areas. Hopefully it'll come out looking smooth enough that a good coat of paint will hide any mistakes. I'll post some pictures of the work when I hsbr it assembled and ready for painting.

I'm also using 2nd Ed. Warrior legs to make the HQ substantially taller that an average Warrior. I may add some extra spines or carapace to them as the top portions near the hips are bare flesh, whereas they are covered in armor in the new sculpts.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Ok, for a while now I've been thinking about trying my hand at some sculpting. I've done some greenstuff work on conversions and so on, and while I'm not great its not like I'm going to get better without practice.

What I would like to do is sculpt something from the ground up. Armature, body, details, whole shebang. I know there are some companies (like reaper) that sell 'dolls' to work from, but I'm probably going to go with an oversize project to make things a little easier.

So my questions would be:

1) Anyone actually do significant amounts of sculpting and want to tell me where to look?
2) What do people generally use for armatures? I have a bunch of different wire, but I'm not sure how thick/thing/malleable would be appropriate. Does it matter?
3) Are there better putties for building the base shape, the details, etc? I have a tube of greenstuff, but if there is a better product to work the initial shape, I don't want to be struggling because I am using terrible tools.

There isn't much in the way of sculpting in the OP, so maybe this will kick off some interesting discussion or projects people have done.

1) Armatures are for sale on the CMON website as a distributor, but honestly it's easy enough to make your own.
2) Armatures are made from several different materials, the most common being stiff wire (floral wire most often) and dense foam (floral foam, oddly enough--that blocky greenish stuff). Simply make a skeleton of the wire, then add foam where you expect to sculpt a lot of bulk, if only to save time but mostly to provide a foundation from which to work.
3) For the base shape, I recommend a product that I wouldn't normally: mighty putty. It's cheap as gently caress, and while it sucks for detail, it's awesome for making base shapes insofar as cost--being inexpensive means you won't waste money on using up your green stuff, and when it goes bad on you, you won't feel like you've wasted it. For detail, I recommend ProCreate by the Kraftmark company: It's green stuff! It's brown stuff! It's in between! Literally, you can mix this stuff to do anything you want or need, and takes to detail very, very well.
All this being said, a lot of pros do EVERYTHING--blocking to detail--using only green stuff. It's simply a matter of skill. If you want to go this route, head on over to GaleForce 9's website and pick up their greenstuff tubes. It's a shitload of green stuff for a good price.

Also, while you are there, invest in some sculpting tools. GF9 makes a sculpting tool kit. Even if you only use it once, it is a good investment--really, if you use any tool even once, it has been worth the cost of purchase, as it has made your life easier, saved you time and a whole hassle.

You can find some help with getting started here, and I think there might be a step-by-step on that website. Hope this helps!

Also, Pierre, you can smooth out green stuff with fine grit sand paper after the fact, so if you don't mind doing that, you don't need to worry about getting it perfect while you are working it.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Sole.Sushi posted:

Also, Pierre, you can smooth out green stuff with fine grit sand paper after the fact, so if you don't mind doing that, you don't need to worry about getting it perfect while you are working it.

I'm really not sure why I didn't think about that. I feel kind of silly now.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

When people thing sculpting, they think clay. You cannot file or sand clay as far as I know, and since that's what we all sculpted with as kids, we get this sort of :downswords: thing going on with it.
Don't feel bad. :glomp:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Sole.Sushi posted:

Looks like poo poo, in a good way. Translation: Good job. Loving the nurgle vibe with the phlegmy, bile-green color. I'd add some rust to the metal though--not the dirty kind, but the bright, orange kind. Something to really pop, you know?

I didn't think of doing that! You can't tell in the picture but I just washed it with devlan mud... I'll try some rust!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've also heard pretty good things about colour shapers, but I've never used them myself.

They look like brushes with tips made from "an advanced rubber composite" that doesn't stick to green stuff nearly as much as metal tools do. They look interesting, but I've never sculpted or even worked with GS much at all, so I've never had any reason to pick them up.

• Locked thread