Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Anphrax posted:

I didn't think of doing that! You can't tell in the picture but I just washed it with devlan mud... I'll try some rust!

I think PV's rust recipe would work well here, actually. I think a bright orangey rust like that foundation orange would provide would look nice here. I'll find the recipe and repost it here momentarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fyrbrand posted:

Here's his paint recipe, which I guess is pretty much the same thing. I use it to great effect on my orks.

boltgun metal
-badab wash
-water down foundation orange paint, mix w/medium if you have any, apply it to the recesses
-drybrush boltgun
-devlan mud everything
-drybrush mithril
-thin edge highlights w/mithril

The orange paint is where you get your rust, so depending on what you're doing feel free to apply it all over and in multiple coats if necessary. Also it will look like crap until the devlan mud goes on, so don't freak out.

Here you go.

Combaticus
Jan 14, 2008

Perfection

Dominance

Ultimate

Fighting

Biotechnology
Pierre try getting some grey stuff from galeforce 9, I find that it's a better material to work with than green stuff and along with regular modeling tools get some silicone clay shapers, they're the poo poo.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Sole.Sushi posted:

For detail, I recommend ProCreate by the Kraftmark company: It's green stuff! It's brown stuff! It's in between! Literally, you can mix this stuff to do anything you want or need, and takes to detail very, very well.

I'm curious about trying ProCreate but since brown and green stuff work just fine for me, I've never bothered. If it really can replace both then I'll definitely give it a shot. What's its elasticity like, and can you carve it like brown stuff when cured?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Combaticus posted:

Pierre try getting some grey stuff from galeforce 9, I find that it's a better material to work with than green stuff and along with regular modeling tools get some silicone clay shapers, they're the poo poo.

Thanks. I may try that on the next set, but I've still got a good deal of GS left and the torso is already 60% done (just need to fill the top level of chitin). I have faith it'll come out nicely but it would be good to have better materials to work with.

Edit: Also, is there a particularly good place to find plsticard in the United States? I've tried looking in local shops and modeling stores but haven't seen it yet. I usually try and buy locally when I can, but this does not appear to be possible. Is there a good website for it?

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 11, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Chenghiz posted:

That's crazy, I was thinking about doing this last night before I fell asleep, like so:

I just need to find a fuckton of stowage somewhere.

What do you mean stowage?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
all those bags and gascans and poo poo on top of the tank

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ah.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thanks for the advice guys. I think that I will look into getting some more material (possibly try ProCreate) and some better tools. I do my current GS work with toothpicks, a hobby knife, and a set of those green clay tools. I have some floral wire and green foam around (fancy that) so I can start working on an armature right away.

PierreTheMime posted:

Thanks. I may try that on the next set, but I've still got a good deal of GS left and the torso is already 60% done (just need to fill the top level of chitin). I have faith it'll come out nicely but it would be good to have better materials to work with.

Edit: Also, is there a particularly good place to find plsticard in the United States? I've tried looking in local shops and modeling stores but haven't seen it yet. I usually try and buy locally when I can, but this does not appear to be possible. Is there a good website for it?

I have used Plastruct in the past. I don't really know how their prices compare, but they have a pretty ridiculous range of different sorts of tubing, panels, piping, struts, etc. I mean really anything you can think of they probably have in stock. Including tiny chairs!

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Pierre, see if you can find hobby stores, or model train places. Surely there are some around Orlando. The one I go to in Ft. Lauderdale sells primarily train stuff and RC cars/planes and absolutely no GW or wargaming stuff, but they have a nice supplies section with lots of plastruct stuff.

Also train modeling stuff such as flock/sand/water effects is exactly the same as what GW/GF9 sells, but for like 1/10th the cost.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Fyrbrand posted:

Pierre, see if you can find hobby stores, or model train places. Surely there are some around Orlando. The one I go to in Ft. Lauderdale sells primarily train stuff and RC cars/planes and absolutely no GW or wargaming stuff, but they have a nice supplies section with lots of plastruct stuff.

Also train modeling stuff such as flock/sand/water effects is exactly the same as what GW/GF9 sells, but for like 1/10th the cost.

Yeah, I'm going to try and take another trip to about the only non-gaming modeling store in town (Colonial Photo & Hobby) and see what they have. I need to buy some pipes and perhaps some trees etc. to start on my table.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
If i'm going to be magnetizing my marines, what size of magnets do I need for them? Also, any idea where I might get some of these in UK?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Chenghiz posted:

I just need to find a fuckton of stowage somewhere.

Get some Tamiya 1/35 stowage sets from ebay or a local model shop. There's about seven or eight different kits with varying amounts of bags and gear.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

I think GF9 just buys woodland scenics stuff and repackages it in tiny, cheaper packages for warhams

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

I think GF9 just buys woodland scenics stuff and repackages it in tiny, cheaper packages for warhams

Actually for warhams that's not that bad a thing. I have a $9 container of WS static grass that holds enough to do thousands of models, no exaggeration. I keep trying to give it away to other people but I've barely put a dent into it.

WS stuff is probably only best used for things like gaming tables or display boards at the quantity they sell it in.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I have to be honest, I was considering doing the same thing, buying a bunch of that poo poo in bulk and repacking it and selling it cheaply to goons.

Theres really no need to have a gigantic bag of ballast/static grass/etc

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

Only if you don't see the wisdom in flocking your entire living room floor for those serious Apocalypse games

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I did consider tiling my bathroom and kitchen with heroscape hex tiles, dont know if that counts

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Aranan posted:

I've also heard pretty good things about colour shapers, but I've never used them myself.

They look like brushes with tips made from "an advanced rubber composite" that doesn't stick to green stuff nearly as much as metal tools do. They look interesting, but I've never sculpted or even worked with GS much at all, so I've never had any reason to pick them up.

I really like them. They're very good for smoothing GS or just pushing stuff about without tearing it or leaving marks as obvious as the usual metal tools do.

Still have to keep them wet though.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PaintVagrant posted:

I have to be honest, I was considering doing the same thing, buying a bunch of that poo poo in bulk and repacking it and selling it cheaply to goons.

Yeah... I have two of the larger "shakers" of ballast--one medium, one fine. That poo poo is going to last longer than me.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Someone wanted a tutorial for painting FoW American armor: http://www.paintingclinic.com/operations/15mmstuart.htm

I wish I would have found this before I painted my Epic IG in what I thought were proper WW2 colors.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

I did consider tiling my bathroom and kitchen with heroscape hex tiles, dont know if that counts

I painted a number/letter grid on the floor of the office and the spare room. When I have friends over I am going to have half of them lie down in each room, and then we and my wife can shout coordinates to each other. Party Battleship!

Now I just need to get ten friends :smith:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Asciana posted:

If i'm going to be magnetizing my marines, what size of magnets do I need for them? Also, any idea where I might get some of these in UK?

I use 3mm diameter by 1mm deep disc magnets for marine arms. Also be sure to buy a 3mm drill bit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ashcans posted:

I painted a number/letter grid on the floor of the office and the spare room. When I have friends over I am going to have half of them lie down in each room, and then we and my wife can shout coordinates to each other. Party Battleship!

Now I just need to get ten friends :smith:
I was once part of the Orc team in a bloodbowl game played in a hall with squares and endzones marked down with tape. All ball-handling was done with a real ball, and we had BB dice scaled up to match the players made of foam for blocks and the like. Good times were had, even if I was the only player who managed to die.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Whoa, didn't know about this thread. I guess I'll contribute here too. . . as soon as I have some more stuff to post.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Get some Tamiya 1/35 stowage sets from ebay or a local model shop. There's about seven or eight different kits with varying amounts of bags and gear.

Yeah I'm going to check my local old-guy hobby store tomorrow and see what they have, I know they stock tamiya stuff.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Hey, Goodbee: waht that Eldar like your borther keeps trying to sell off?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Myopic posted:

I'm curious about trying ProCreate but since brown and green stuff work just fine for me, I've never bothered. If it really can replace both then I'll definitely give it a shot. What's its elasticity like, and can you carve it like brown stuff when cured?

If you mix it like brown stuff, the carving and cutting properties is near identical--just marginally "softer."
The elasticity of the product is about the same as green stuff, but it is far more ductile: I've gotten a relatively small section of ProCreate to flatten out three times the width without tearing.

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Posted these in the Warhammer thread, sorry if this isn't allowed. This is the second mini I've ever painted, first one I've ever completed. I like the color scheme, at least much more than my accidental Superman one...

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

What do you guys think? :ohdear:

(The grass is pretty fresh and there are bits of it stuck to odd places. And it doesn't look that splotchy in person...)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
The lighting could use some work, or maybe just one more lamp. I can't really see it :(

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think that looks perfectly fine for your second miniature ever. You're paying attention to the details and all you need to do is practice.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I've decided to base my Skaven in snowy wilderness.

:science: Give me your arctic basing tips so they don't look like rear end! :science:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Snow Bases:

http://www.dysartes.com/model/modelling/snowbase.php
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2008/12/tutorial-snow-basing.html
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat1290202&pIndex=0&aId=4400036a&start=1
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/c...mes+Workshop%29

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Anphrax posted:

The lighting could use some work, or maybe just one more lamp. I can't really see it :(

I shall get on that!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Feeple posted:

Hey, Goodbee: waht that Eldar like your borther keeps trying to sell off?

What on earth are you asking me?

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Sole.Sushi posted:

If you mix it like brown stuff, the carving and cutting properties is near identical--just marginally "softer."
The elasticity of the product is about the same as green stuff, but it is far more ductile: I've gotten a relatively small section of ProCreate to flatten out three times the width without tearing.

Thanks, will probably pick some up next time I buy putty. I think I'm almost out of green stuff now actually, anyone know any cheap UK suppliers? I've only seen it sold by Heresy and it's about £8 IIRC

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

GoodBee posted:

What on earth are you asking me?

I think he wants to know if your brother is still selling his Eldar and, if so, what it includes. Although it appears that he had a stroke while asking that.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Myopic posted:

Thanks, will probably pick some up next time I buy putty. I think I'm almost out of green stuff now actually, anyone know any cheap UK suppliers? I've only seen it sold by Heresy and it's about £8 IIRC

Thanks for the tip to Heresy they have some great minis.

Time bothering vagrant!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Furret Basket posted:

Time bothering vagrant!

I Have Doctor Hugh & Dr Masterton :3:

:pcgaming: Furret, something in the post for you finally! :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Hurray! I had actually wondered if Royal Mail had lost mail. :( Thanks!

• Locked thread