Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
I like the beginning of the Such Great Heights :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
Just found this thread and I have been listening to SKA since the early 90s.

Question: is this song a cover (all SKA songs are covers :downs:), because I love it and need to listen to a non jesus version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, yes Sonseed. Played that at a party once.

It's an original and fairly infamous.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Ah, yes Sonseed. Played that at a party once.

It's an original and fairly infamous.

In that case someone needs to make a non jesus cover of it :colbert:

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
What's the name of that Streetlight fanboard again? I cannot remember it and I don't really feel like digging through 60 pages to find it.

Edit:

Heintron posted:

In that case someone needs to make a non jesus cover of it :colbert:

You're in luck! With all this Streetlight talk... here's a badly sung, badly played cover called "Thomas Is a Friend of Mine". Enjoy?

Lyrics posted:

Thomas is a friend of mine

He writes awesome songs and lives life as it should be
And he plays awesome shows for people like me
I've had friends before, and I can tell you that
He's one that'll never leave you flat!

REPEAT CHORUS!

He hates suicide, because he knows how to love his life
He taught me how to rob a bank, and how to wreck my bike
The music may sound different, but the message isn't to blame
It's just my instrumental to lovin' his game

REPEAT CHORUS!

He loves animals, and hates pollution
But you know, he'll always believe in evolution
I don't know his thoughts on religion
But on his newest album he don't seem to like it much!

REPEAT CHORUS!

I'll probably redo it later so I can sing it better/get the timing down. But :effort:

mix.lunar fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 11, 2010

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Heintron posted:

Just found this thread and I have been listening to SKA since the early 90s.

Question: is this song a cover (all SKA songs are covers :downs:), because I love it and need to listen to a non jesus version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8

I think one is pretty good - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx7QVnHF7EY

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 11, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mix.lunar posted:

What's the name of that Streetlight fanboard again? I cannot remember it and I don't really feel like digging through 60 pages to find it.

google skachilles, that's where the demos are at

God Such Great Heights is so great

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The cover of Just is awful though.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Red Red Blue posted:

The cover of Just is awful though.

It's my favorite of the 3 I've heard.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Such Great Heights is seriously just holy poo poo

I can't even handle it

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Except the beginning. Beginning sucks.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Except the beginning. Beginning sucks.

What, why is everyone against the best bits that we've heard so far? That intro must have been ball crushingly hard to play. I can't wait to see them try to pull that off live.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I don't know how you can call impersonating a bicycle horn the "best bits" but to each their own.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I don't know how you can call 3 horns going that fast a bicycle horn. Besides they a copying a synth and playing really fast short notes.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pUoUTQEf0Y

Oh look it's the beginning of Such Great Heights.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
The beginning to Such Great Heights is a loving mess. There are more than a handful of missed beats and there's like, zero synergy between the brass.

If this were something they put together over a long weekend it'd be awesome, but a lot of us have been waiting the better part of a decade for this stuff. And when Jeff + company can record Adults in five days, these covers are inexcusable.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Such Great Heights is seriously just holy poo poo

I can't even handle it

It's pretty loving amazing. It goes right up there with If Assholes got Awards...

God drat.

Edit: there's a reason why it's called a demo you faggots

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

FateoMcSkippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pUoUTQEf0Y

Oh look it's the beginning of Such Great Heights.

i guess you're right because i literally could not tell the difference.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean, I found the demo and all I could imagine was a circus seal.

The cover itself is good, definitely better than Iron & Wine's version.

The beginning though. Ugh.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Eeeeegh. I really hope that gets cleaned up for the real album

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

The clean falsetto part toward the end of Such Great Heights is terrible. Tomas' voice isn't equipped for something like that.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Just saw the Spring Heeled Jack is doing a reunion show. I wish I could afford to fly out to go see it.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Sugar Blaster posted:

The clean falsetto part toward the end of Such Great Heights is terrible. Tomas' voice isn't equipped for something like that.

It's not a falsetto, but yeah, it's not exactly in tune either.

"Sugar Blaster posted:

The beginning to Such Great Heights is a loving mess. There are more than a handful of missed beats and there's like, zero synergy between the brass.

If this were something they put together over a long weekend it'd be awesome, but a lot of us have been waiting the better part of a decade for this stuff. And when Jeff + company can record Adults in five days, these covers are inexcusable.

I agree. The horn parts at the start are just too complicated, and as a result it sounds like a jumbled mess more than anything else.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Sugar Blaster posted:

So far I haven't been in love with the songs, either. They're good, but that's just because the band is good. They are all great at playing the instruments they play, so a cover song will sound fine. But Tomas et al. have a knack for creating and playing such wonderfully orchestrated music that it feels off to hear them do these covers. I'm sure when it's fully released I'll have some time to go through it and I'll warm up to them, but I don't think they are playing to their strengths.

Having BTMI! just drop this EP is a timely reminder of how different their approaches are, but they still are two of my favorite bands.

Edit: Tickets are on sale for Spring Heeled Jack on https://www.etix.com. Snagged two of them.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 12, 2010

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

lessthankyle posted:

So far I haven't been in love with the songs, either. They're good, but that's just because the band is good. They are all great at playing the instruments they play, so a cover song will sound fine. But Tomas et al. have a knack for creating and playing such wonderfully orchestrated music that it feels off to hear them do these covers. I'm sure when it's fully released I'll have some time to go through it and I'll warm up to them, but I don't think they are playing to their strengths.

Having BTMI! just drop this EP is a timely reminder of how different their approaches are, but they still are two of my favorite bands.

Edit: Tickets are on sale for Spring Heeled Jack on https://www.etix.com. Snagged two of them.

Personally I thought Streetlight's style was getting a bit stale, when even the slow songs are fast. This is pretty refreshing.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

The vocals on Red Rubber Ball fit for a SM song.

And Such Great Heights is amazing. haters.

I have a feeling these might be final tracks though :ohdear:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

This is the consensus on them.

"The tracks that we have all been listening to were not the original mix. they werent a mix at all. these are just straight recordings layered over top of each other. they are completely unaltered."

So the beginning of Such Great Heights should sound fine on the cd

treesvt
Jan 31, 2010

In the process of cleaning out my iTouch, I just deleted all of the Thomas Kalnoky material I had except for the above EP and a couple songs by his older band, Gimp. Such Great Heights in combination with that thirty second clip of Punk Rock Girl (this song was very important at age 13) revitalized my love of Streetlight!

Also, if anybody hasn't heard that Catch EP, Rules of the Game, I'd strongly recommend getting it. The audio quality is terrible, but that's why I love it so much. It sounds pretty vintage.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Just found out I'll be opening for BTMI!'s Jersey date on this Ipod tour with Legitimate Business. It's next Sunday at Asbury Lanes. Come early if you want to see us, because we're opening.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
3/16 is the actual date, thanks for telling us two weeks after PunkNews and Victory and a dude on a drat fan forum Tomas

02.15.2010 | March 16th, 2010
That's the release date for Volume I of 99 Songs of Revolution. Finally! What does the artwork look like? Funny you should ask, because it's right here! For track listing and to preorder either the vinyl or the CD version, head on over to The RISC Store. It's been a long weekend. Hell it's been a long year. That's it for today, but we have tons more news regarding upcoming tours, more song samples, etc etc. Be back in a day or two. Seriously. No really this time.

I don't think I "get" the artwork

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Its references to the songs. Theres a Red Rubber Ball, The Postal Service, Hell, a Punk Rock Girl, a dog named Bob, A man on the corner in the city yesterday, etc.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dog named Bob who's pissing on the floor no less

Muchos gracias, I feel way less dumb now

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

No problem. I save all my snarky indignation for skachilles.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was serious about not thinking people actually liked Radiohead by the way. I thought that was some elaborate hoax that's been perpetrated for years now

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like Radiohead :colbert:

As for the cover, musically it's ok but Tomas can not sing like Thom Yorke.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That's OK I don't like listening to animals being beaten with sticks

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Dickeye posted:

That's OK I don't like listening to animals being beaten with sticks
You listen to punk music.

Just sayin'.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sugar Blaster posted:

You listen to punk music.

Just sayin'.

The Steinways even :barf:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

The Steinways even :barf:

Hey hey hey let's not be using emoticons we can't take back here Skip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

Yes, I suppose Thom Yorke could never hope to compete with such lyrical opulence as "I wanna kiss you on the lips."