Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello

FitFortDanga posted:

Apparently a Hollis Frampton set is in the works. I've been meaning to check out his work. All I know about him is:

* experimental filmmaker
* "Zorn's Lemma" is on the TSPDT 1000 list
* someone here didn't like him (PeacefulAnarchy, I think?)

A huge chunk of Frampton's work has been playing in Chicago over the past year and there was a just a three day conference at the UofC this past weekend that topped the whole thing off. I don't know if there is any relationship between that series and the Criterion business, although some of the films were recently restored so that might have been the kicking off point for both parties.

Frampton's most famous film is probablly Nostalgia, which is actually part of a larger film project, Hepax Legomena. You can find a lot of it on youtube. He seems really interested in trying to get the audience to "imagine" the film image/text. For example, another part of Hepax Legomena is two hundred some pages of a script that are shown one at a time, which the audience then reads and can mentally produce an image for. Nostalgia uses a similar concept by having a series of descriptions of photographs read over the image of the photograph, although the narration is always one image ahead of the film itself, so the viewer is left to anticipate what they're about to see (or otherwise read the image "against" the soundtrack).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got my first Criterion in the post today: Yi Yi. I haven't watched it yet, but the packaging looks pretty and the booklet and stuff is cool. I live in the UK and so won't be getting these very often (I only got Yi Yi because it's out of print in region 2), but can any recommend some for great films where the Criterion version really is the absolute definitive one? I was thinking of The Vanishing as it was recommended to me, but there are other versions available in R2.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Vanishing is a fantastic film but the Criterion is pretty barebones. The only extra you get is the trailer and the booklet essay.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Here we loving go! I had a feeling the announcements would come early this month!

#516 - STAGECOACH (Blu/2-disc DVD, May 25th)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* Audio commentary by noted western authority Jim Kitses
* Bucking Broadway (1917), a fifty-four-minute silent western by John Ford, with new music by Donald Sosin
* Extensive video interview with Ford from 1968
* New video interview with Dan Ford, biographer and grandson of the director, about Ford’s home movies
* New video interview with filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich
* New video essay by writer Tag Gallagher
* New video feature about Monument Valley
* New video interview with stunt coordinator Vic Armstrong about Stagecoach’s * stuntman Yakima Canutt
* Radio dramatization of Stagecoach from 1949
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by David Cairns and the short story that inspired the film

FFD take: Well, probably everyone knows how I feel about Ford/Wayne movies. This one's better than most, but still a pass for me. NICE collection of extras, though.

#10 - WALKABOUT (reissue) (Blu/2-disc DVD, May 18th)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, from a newly manufactured restoration element (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Audio commentary featuring director Nicolas Roeg and actress Jenny Agutter
* Video interviews with Agutter and actor Luc Roeg
* Gulpilil—One Red Blood (2002), an hour-long documentary on the life and career of actor David Gulpilil
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by author Paul Ryan

FFD take: Loving that cover, but this movie (and Roeg in general) doesn't do much for me.

#30 - M (Blu, May 18th)

* The long-lost English-language version of M (on the Blu-ray edition)
(cover/other specs same as previous DVD release)

FFD take: I have a feeling I'd like it way more than the first time I saw it, several years ago. Will probably rent with a possible buy later.

#517 - BY BRAKHAGE VOLUME TWO (3-disc DVD, May 25th)

* New high-definition digital transfers of all thirty films
* Brakhage on Brakhage, a collection of video encounters with the filmmaker
* For Stan, a short film by Marilyn Brakhage
* Excerpts from a 1990 interview with Brakhage
* Footage from Brakhage’s salon at the University of Colorado
* Audio recordings of two lectures by Brakhage
* PLUS: A booklet featuring film program notes by Marilyn Brakhage and write-ups of the films by Brakhage expert Fred Camper

FFD take: oh gently caress yes... but wait, what's this?!!!

#518 - BY BRAKHAGE VOLUMES ONE AND TWO (3-disc Blu, May 25th)

(specs same as v1 and v2 on DVD)

FFD take: Possibly the release of the year. Cannot loving wait. Awesome cover too.

ECLIPSE SERIES 21: OSHIMA'S OUTLAW SIXTIES (5-disc DVD, May 18th)

FFD take: haven't been thrilled with the two Oshima films I've seen, but definitely willing to see more.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 12, 2010

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

EDIT: drat you FFD.

Love the Walkabout Cover.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
FINALLY. I have been waiting for Walkabout to be announced ever since they said it was coming like a year ago.

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
As much as I like to bitch and moan about Criterion that is a pretty nice slate of films. It seems like the Brakhage set is mostly supplements, or does it include the films from the first volume as well?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

vertov posted:

As much as I like to bitch and moan about Criterion that is a pretty nice slate of films. It seems like the Brakhage set is mostly supplements, or does it include the films from the first volume as well?

By Brakhage Volume 2 is 30 films (plus the supplements), none repeated from Volume 1. The titles aren't listed on the site, but there was a listing posted somewhere a while ago, I'll try to dig it up.

EDIT: here it is...

Marilyn Brakhage posted:

The Criterion set will be DVDs, but as all transfers are in high definition they would be able to, and may consider re-releasing them in Bluray at a later date. For now, not sure of the initial release date yet. We're probably still some months away, but the titles will be:

The Wonder Ring
The Dead
Two: Creeley/McClure
23rd Psalm Branch
Scenes From Under Childhood (Part One)
The Machine of Eden
Star Garden
Desert
The Process
Burial Path
The Domain of the Moment
Murder Psalm
Duplicity III
Arabic 12
Visions in Meditatiion 1-4
Unconscious London Strata
Boulder Blues and Pearls And
The Mammals of Victoria
I Take These Truths
The Cat of the Worm's Green Realm
Yggdrasill: Whose Roots Are Stars in the Human Mind
Ellipsis #5
Persians 1-3
Chinese Series

Marilyn Brakhage
Victoria BC

All but 5 of those are new to me, so exciting!

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 12, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Wow, I'm getting every single Blu that month.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
M obviously owns and Walkabout getting reissued will probably get me to finally buy it. Now please give me a reissued Red Shoes sometime soon...

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Hollywood Video next to my job is going out of business and I've been trying to grab as many Criterion DVDs as I can considering they are $4 each.

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009

Bown posted:

can any recommend some for great films where the Criterion version really is the absolute definitive one?

Gilliam's Brazil definitely fits this description.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Criminal Minded posted:

FINALLY. I have been waiting for Walkabout to be announced ever since they said it was coming like a year ago.
Yeah Walkabout is one of those films that should look great on Blu Ray.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The brief descriptions of the Oshima films sound REALLY intriguing. Got a feeling I'm going to like them a lot more than In the Realm of the Senses or Gishiki.

Just posted on FB:

some guy who doesn't know the difference between your and you're posted:

Thanks for M. That leaves 4 blus on my must have list, Badlands, Fanny and Alexander, The Night of the Hunter and Black Narcissus. Your the best CC!

Criterion posted:

With that list, you're going to have a good BD-year...

Cryptic response as usual, but I would assume the implication is that CC is going to release most or all of those titles on Blu this year.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Fanny and Alexander and Night of the Hunter on Blu-Ray would make me lose my poo poo.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FitFortDanga posted:

Here we loving go! I had a feeling the announcements would come early this month!

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* Bucking Broadway (1917), a fifty-four-minute silent western by John Ford, with new music by Donald Sosin
* New video interview with Dan Ford, biographer and grandson of the director, about Ford’s home movies
* New video interview with stunt coordinator Vic Armstrong about Stagecoach’s * stuntman Yakima Canutt
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by David Cairns and the short story that inspired the film

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEAH

Bucking Broadway, incidentally, is awesome. It ends with this huge cowboy brawl in a fancy midtown restaurant that's like the most absurd poo poo I've ever seen.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

FitFortDanga posted:

* Theatrical trailer

Well, it's about loving time. :colbert:

I'm still holding out on Hausu.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Macrame_God posted:

That reminds me - if anyone in the Chicago area is still interested in seeing it in the theaters, Hausu will be playing at the Siskel Center from Feb. 26 through March 4.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.

Bown posted:

but can any recommend some for great films where the Criterion version really is the absolute definitive one?

azechiel is absolutely right about Brazil. I highly recommend Videodrome both for the extras and the packaging. Dazed and Confused has deleted scenes that the other DVD doesn't, but I really don't care about that movie. Criterion's Seven Samurai is legendary at this point... just the one in that Kurosawa DVD set supposedly has better picture quality (with like no extras) than their previous DVD. Well there's been 3 Criterion DVD releases of Seven Samurai and that doesn't include the BluRay. You almost need a program to tell them apart. Criterion's The Human Condition looks a 1000 times better than the clips I've seen of an import release of that film. There used to be a non-Criterion The Man Who Fell To Earth that used the same video transfer, but I think its OoP

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!

morestuff posted:

That reminds me - if anyone in the Chicago area is still interested in seeing it in the theaters, Hausu will be playing at the Siskel Center from Feb. 26 through March 4.

Holy poo poo yes! This is why I need to pay more attention to the Siskel Center.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow, Brakhage in 1080p is going to be a trip.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Man, I really love that Stagecoach cover. I'm glad they went with that kind of "fifties serial" look instead of just copying the poster art. The Walkabout art is also pretty nice, and it kind of reminds me of Storm Thorgerson.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Macrame_God posted:

Well, it's about loving time. :colbert:

I got the UK Masters of Cinema release of House recently based purely on the YouTube clip that was posted earleir this thread, it's basically insane. I love how it's completely aware of it's artificiality and how the director will try more or less anything to see what results.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Noxville posted:

I got the UK Masters of Cinema release of House recently based purely on the YouTube clip that was posted earleir this thread, it's basically insane. I love how it's completely aware of it's artificiality and how the director will try more or less anything to see what results.

From some discussions at the Belcourt, it seems like Criterion is working on the DVD.

Here's a cool detail: the midnight showing I went to of House last summer? Apparently it was a trial balloon to see how well the movie might do if they struck a new print. The screenings did so well that they made the new print, started some of the touring, and began work on the DVD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

M is going to be a big surprise on BluRay. The KirchGroup restoration used the camera negative except for the first reel (it was lost) and I think the original soundtrack negatives were tracked down. The fidelity just on the Dolby 1.0 track on the DVD sounds amazing and not just for a 1931 film.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
Well, everyone is talking about new criterion releases, but I just finished watching their Blu-ray of the Third Man. I think I had caught it first on Netflix instant, so seeing it on Blu was quite a treat!

What a temptation to just report the disc lost or missing... ;)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fritz the Cat? God, why?

edit: oh never mind, this other bit in the newsletter makes it clear that it's Crumb (which is cool):

quote:

And you can expect a lot more in 2010, when you’ll become better acquainted with a slew of mythic moviemakers (Charlie Chaplin, Nicholas Ray, Sidney Lumet) and modern-day masters in the making (Pedro Costa, Andrea Arnold, Terry Zwigoff).

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 17, 2010

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's a long shot, but it's probably a Fritz Lang film. You Only Live Once is in the Caidin Film Trust package.

Crumb isn't too likely consider Sony just put out an SE not too long ago.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

It's a long shot, but it's probably a Fritz Lang film. You Only Live Once is in the Caidin Film Trust package.

Crumb isn't too likely consider Sony just put out an SE not too long ago.

I'm sticking with my Crumb theory. I can't imagine any other Zwigoff film they'd release. Bad Santa? Ghost World?

Unless it's his debut Louie Bluie, I haven't seen that one.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
I'd happily double dip on Crumb if they gave me a reason to, but I am hoping that the image and Zwigoff are unrelated and they are releasing Fritz the Cat and Louie Bluie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm sticking with my Crumb theory. I can't imagine any other Zwigoff film they'd release. Bad Santa? Ghost World?

Unless it's his debut Louie Bluie, I haven't seen that one.

Ghost World seems more likely, if just for a Blu release.

I stand by my Lang theory, between M getting a re-issue this year and the new restorations of Metropolis and Die Nibelungen.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

Ghost World seems more likely, if just for a Blu release.

I stand by my Lang theory, between M getting a re-issue this year and the new restorations of Metropolis and Die Nibelungen.

Yeah maybe. So far none of the possibilities are that exciting, anyway. Ghost World and You Only Live Once are both mediocre, Fritz the Cat is just awful, and I've already seen Crumb twice.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Just ordered Wings of Desire, which will be both my first Criterion and my first Blu-ray. I'm excited. :dance:

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006
Still holding out for the criterion Cat People:colbert:, but seriously I like FFD hope it's Crumb. I caught the last part on IFC one night and have never got around to seeing the whole thing. Also I'm quite surprised Criterion hasn't gone for any of the old Verhoven films (4th Man, Turkish Delight, Solders of Orange), the current dvds are no longer available and they are begging for a good release.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

It's definitely a Fritz the cat reference. Whether that means Crumb or the animated Fritz the cat film, I wouldn't know, as I've seen neither.

You Only Live Once has absolutely nothing to with cats in any way.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's definitely a Fritz the cat reference. Whether that means Crumb or the animated Fritz the cat film, I wouldn't know, as I've seen neither.

I've seen both. Fritz the Cat is a pretty bold experiment in making adult-oriented animated films despite the fact that the final product is rather underwhelming. Crumb, on the other hand, is a great documentary. However funny as it is it kind of left me feeling rather depressed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Already calling it... if it's Fritz the Cat, John K will be on the commentary or have an interview so he can circlejerk Bakshi for 20 minutes while his girlfriend giggles every 10 seconds.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

You Only Live Once has absolutely nothing to with cats in any way.

Are you really failing to make the connection between the clue and You Only Live Once? Your lateral thinking skills must really be on the fritz.

IndieRockLance
Jan 29, 2003

The devourer of worlds demands a Moon Pie to satiate his hunger!
Criterion launched a streaming channel on Hulu. Their first offering is a collection of six Zatoichi films: http://www.hulu.com/studio/criterion-collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azechiel
Mar 16, 2009
So I recently discovered that my school library has a very large collection of both Criterion DVDs and Laserdiscs. So my question to you is what are some lesser known titles released on Criterion that are really good?