Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Yeah I've always used Elite Keyboards.

They order from Japan in batches, so sometimes you can get stuck in between them having stock and a week or two till the next batch comes in. But other than that they have good service and support.

We've probably ordered twenty keyboards through them for work with no complaints, and my two HHKB personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Linux Nazi posted:

Not entirely true, I use a G13 that has the exact same screen and it's semi-useful for vent in raids.
The G13 owns owns owns though, so it is basically just a bonus to have that pointless screen attached to the thing.

Out of interest, do you find yourself using the joystick at all? I'd consider that as a WASD replacement, but find I wouldn't use the joystick at all, as I WASD with my right hand.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

weapey posted:

Out of interest, do you find yourself using the joystick at all? I'd consider that as a WASD replacement, but find I wouldn't use the joystick at all, as I WASD with my right hand.

I don't use the joystick for wads, instead I bind it for useful functions that I just want thumb access to. In WoW it's generally my tab targetting buttons, while in FPS games it's things like grenades/scoreboards/taunts/etc. This works out nicely with the mouse style buttons being jump/crouch.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The Logitech G13 looks like it could be cool, but based on the indentations it seems like the WASD keys are actually on the top and 2nd rows, so it basically turns the G13 into a collection of buttons on the left side of the keyboard but with no row of number keys.

What PC gamer is able to play games without the number keys?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

weapey posted:

I do. And at first I was disappointed that it wasn't analog, but now I am glad it isn't, considering it's basically a WASD replacement. The great thing about it is that I use my thumb to accomplish the task of basically 3 fingers, and I free up a lot of easily accessed keys for use for other tasks.

It's a good design, considering on any 360 / PS3 controller your left thumb controls an entire joystick, but on PC with a keybord you get to basically [Jump] or whatever else you have space bound to, and that's it.

For WoW, the worst thing I had to do was find a comfy replacement for [TAB], I ended up using the [G15] key for that, which is basically where your pinky sits. On any other game it wasn't much of a conversion. I always used Mouse2 for forward and didn't really find changing to joystick for forward/backward/strafe awkward at all.

I bought it half-expecting it to be some goofy controller poo poo that never got used, but instead I am now paranoid that one day they are going to stop producing them without a suitable replacement.

GreatGreen posted:

The Logitech G13 looks like it could be cool, but based on the indentations it seems like the WASD keys are actually on the top and 2nd rows, so it basically turns the G13 into a collection of buttons on the left side of the keyboard but with no row of number keys.

What PC gamer is able to play games without the number keys?

This.

When I first got the thing I couldn't decide if I should use the joystick for movement or for other functions. Trying to use the dimpled keys for WASD was really awkward for me due to basically no more number row above them, whereas using the joystick was literally a non-starter. It didn't really require any real training or anything, I took right to it.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 9, 2010

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
I want something like a G13, but I use linux and I'm sure that nothing will work without their software.

And then I remember that regular keyboards have many more keys. I just want a thumbstick on a regular keyboard. Maybe I'll buy a cheap keyboard and rip off all of the keys that I won't be using like some pro starcraft player.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

very posted:

I just want a thumbstick on a regular keyboard.
Depending on how you intend to use it, the new Microsoft Arc Keyboard may be what you're looking for.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/03/microsoft-arc-keyboard-hands-on/

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I just got my Das Model S Professional. It's a weird experience. I've been typing on a laptop keyboard exclusively for the past two years, so I'm finding it hard to hit the keys without sticking my finger in-between :downs:

Laptop keys are larger, flat and touch each other. The Das has smaller keys which I'm not used to anymore.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So is there a mouse megathread to go with the keyboard one? I mean the two kind of go together.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got my filco with cherry blues today (I've been using one with cherry browns for a week or so now). It definitely feels like there's a bit more force required to press the keys in. I actually have more trouble knowing when to let up on the keys than when I'm on the browns as the extra force and click make it hard for me to notice if I'm bottoming out. The extra clicks are fun, but unless I get a bit more used to it, I think that the browns work best for me by quite a long way.

I'll give it a few more tries to see if I get more used to it, but I think that I'll probably wind up sticking with the browns as my switch of choice from here on out.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

very posted:

I want something like a G13, but I use linux and I'm sure that nothing will work without their software.

And then I remember that regular keyboards have many more keys. I just want a thumbstick on a regular keyboard. Maybe I'll buy a cheap keyboard and rip off all of the keys that I won't be using like some pro starcraft player.

I use an Ideazon Fang, and I'm pretty sure it would work in Linux. I know it works in my BIOS as if I am entering numbers like a keyboard. Plus the thing is atleast half the price of a G13.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 10, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I just got my Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches, and I've been playing around with it for about 20 minutes or so.

It feels very different from every other keyboard I've ever typed on. At first, I wasn't sure if I liked it, but now, just a few minutes later, I think it's starting to grow on me already.

I do have one small issue with the board though, and I can't tell if it's going to get better with use or not. I expected the key travel to be a little smoother. It's hard to explain. It's like with each key press, I can feel the plastic of the key rubbing the plastic of the board itself, and the textures of both are just a little bit rough. It almost feels like WD-40 would fix the problem by lubricating the spaces between the keys, but I feel like it would be colossally stupid to take all the keys off and spray the stuff on the exposed keys.

Will the feel of the keys smooth out over time, or do they stay like this?

Oh, and the red escape key and purple (lavender actually, to be a pretentious fag about it) WASD keys are just too cool, by the way.

EnergizerFellow posted:

The first one is always free...

Haha, I can tell you that is most definitely not the case. This little bastard wasn't cheap. :)

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 10, 2010

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

It feels very different from every other keyboard I've ever typed on. At first, I wasn't sure if I liked it, but now, just a few minutes later, I think it's starting to grow on me already.
The first one is always free...

quote:

I expected the key travel to be a little smoother. It's hard to explain. It's like with each key press, I can feel the plastic of the key rubbing the plastic of the board itself, and the textures of both are just a little bit rough. [...] Will the feel of the keys smooth out over time, or do they stay like this?
It will get better as the manufacturing tolerances and casting flash will wear away over a few days/weeks.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
You might be feeling the activation point of the brown switches.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

TheQat posted:

You might be feeling the activation point of the brown switches.

Maybe, but it doesn't feel like a tactile bump, really. The keystrokes feel like two small, rough pieces of plastic rubbing together, like I can feel the friction of textured plastic on textured plastic with each key press.

Then again, it could be because I'm just used to rubber domed keyboards having a "smoother" feel, as when you press one of those keys down, it's just a piece of rubber being flexed, and not actual plastic pieces rubbing together.

You know, reading back over these posts, I feel like the protagonist in the goddamn Princess and the Pea.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I agree with EnergizerFellow, the plastic as molded isn't perfectly smooth or level. That you can feel a grinding means you have very sensitive fingers, but it should wear down into two mated surfaces within a short period.

The tactile feel should be a discrete hump in the travel, not a constant sensation. You do notice that, right?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I do notice a bump, but only sometimes. It's not obvious at all, really. To feel the bump, I have to kind of look for it. I mean, if I didn't already know there was a tactile bump in the key travel, I'd probably believe you if you told me there wasn't one.

And these keys are light too. Just resting your fingers on the home row could activate a key or two if you let your hand go limp. Maybe that's why I'm noticing all these tiny details. The keys could be so light that I have to use a really light touch, and so all the tactile sensations are multiplied in my mind because I'm not busy man handling the keyboard like I used to do.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 11, 2010

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I'm typing on my Filco Majestouch Tactile Click right now. It feels pretty fantastic. The keys need a much lighter touch than the mucky older Mac keyboards in our work office right now, and because of that I'm sort of slipping up and making a few more typos than I usually do. However, it's not like my Acer OEM where I would feel sore in the finger joints after a few hours. You don't have to bottom out the keys to get them to register, which is great, but it isn't that hard to do so and they make a really satisfying "thump" when you do, so I tend to bottom them out since I'm still getting used to applying less force than I would for a membrane board. The board itself is built really solidly (i.e. it's really heavy and the frame doesn't creak or bend at all), except for the feet at the back/bottom, which aren't exactly rock-solid, but I don't use those anyways. The LEDs aren't as annoyingly bright as they looked in some of the photos either, so if it was a problem I gather they must have fixed them by now.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I just ordered the Filco Tenkeyless and the Filco seperate Tenkey pad. This should be able to sit in ideal positions on my desk. I also just replaced my mouse, I had a Razer Lachesis, but the laser just stopped working after only a year (this is an $80 mouse). I found a Logitech G500 for $50, and it is quite impressive for the cost without being hideous like say the G9x. Sorry if this isn't the best thread to post about the mouse in, but goddamn am I unimpressed with Razer build quality right now. Can't wait til the Filco gets here to replace my el cheapo $10 keyboard.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Got my new tenkeyless filco with cherry blue switches in.

A couple of thoughts, it's heavy. The weight is pretty good considering how small it is.

It honestly is not anything like the buckler springs in my Model-M at all, but I knew that when I ordered it. I thought it might be similar but it is an entirely different feel altogether.

That being said, it isn't bad. Typing on it is a breeze and the tactical feel is really good, just not like my ol' Model M.

I wish the cable was a bit longer, as it sits I can't plug it into my tower below my desk and instead I have to plug it into my monitor's built-in USB.

Otherwise it fits perfectly on my desk next to my G13, types a lot better than my mac mini keyboard, and looks great, so I can't complain.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Phuzun posted:

I just ordered the Filco Tenkeyless and the Filco seperate Tenkey pad. This should be able to sit in ideal positions on my desk. I also just replaced my mouse, I had a Razer Lachesis, but the laser just stopped working after only a year (this is an $80 mouse). I found a Logitech G500 for $50, and it is quite impressive for the cost without being hideous like say the G9x. Sorry if this isn't the best thread to post about the mouse in, but goddamn am I unimpressed with Razer build quality right now. Can't wait til the Filco gets here to replace my el cheapo $10 keyboard.

I've been using the same Razer mouse for 3 years and two of my friends have been using them nearly as long with no problems to report. Did you consider emailing support?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Full Circle posted:

I've been using the same Razer mouse for 3 years and two of my friends have been using them nearly as long with no problems to report. Did you consider emailing support?

I suppose I could try emailing them. It had been having problems for the past few months with the pointer not moving. I had checked their site and others have had the same problem. The recommendation was to turn off legacy support in the BIOS which I had already done, plus had the newest drivers and firmware.

e: I submitted a ticket, so hopefully they will do something for me. Also, my Copperhead never had problems other than the rubber coating wearing off, which is why I bought the Lachesis in the first place.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 13, 2010

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Full Circle posted:

I bet its an older Razer model mouse. Honestly, everything they've made from the Habu onwards has been plagued with problems due to lovely manufacturing/design. I've had problems with the habu, lachesis, exactmat, barracuda headset, and n52:te. Oh and *never* buy any of their "Powered by Razer" stuff, because it turns into a nightmare trying to get either company to fix the damned faults with the products.

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn
I thought you guys might find this interesting since there is a lot of talk about gaming keyboards. Its neat to see just how fast the professional starcraft players are with their hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwQE4HuUUCA

In case you are wondering, its illegal to change the default hotkeys in pro starcraft. There are probably rules about the keyboards too, but it doesn't seem to matter to these guys.

Look at him go :swoon:

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Tornhelm posted:

I bet its an older Razer model mouse. Honestly, everything they've made from the Habu onwards has been plagued with problems due to lovely manufacturing/design. I've had problems with the habu, lachesis, exactmat, barracuda headset, and n52:te. Oh and *never* buy any of their "Powered by Razer" stuff, because it turns into a nightmare trying to get either company to fix the damned faults with the products.

Interesting, we've all got diamondbacks so that's well outside your timeframe.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Apparently, buying a Filco Tenkeyless keyboard with Cherry MX Brown Switches has made me hopelessly anal about how my keyboards feel and operate now. So, in an effort to attain the perfect keyboard (what a ridiculous pursuit), I've been messing around with it because I wasn't 100% happy about it, which normally wouldn't be a huge issue, but I paid over $100 for the drat thing, so I figure I'd try and get the most I could out of it.

Here are three small things you can do to make your Filco Tenkeyless with Cherry MX Browns a lot better than it was when you first took it out of the box:

1. Reverse the space bar - I'm totally serious. I was amazed at the difference this made. I found that while I liked the feel of the rest of the keyboard, the spacebar was practically cutting into my thumbs with the way it was angled, so I decided to flip it around, and the problem, to my surprise, was basically eliminated completely with no drawbacks. The top of the space bar is now angled exactly flush with the way my thumbs land on it.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

After you take the space bar off, in order to put it back on the keyboard reversed, you'll have to get some needle-nosed pliers and use them to reverse the two small guiding holsters on the underside of the space bar. Don't just twist the guides with the pilers though, or you'll break them. You have to pull them completely out of their holes first. They're not glued in, so don't worry about that. If you're not familiar with what I'm talking about, don't worry, it's pretty obvious once you remove the space bar and see for yourself. After you do this though, the space bar does sit at a slightly different angle than the rest of the keys and does have a kind of "one of these things is not like the other" vibe to it, but it does feel a lot better. Besides, the look probably won't matter to you anyway because no longer having the space bar cut into your thumbs will vastly outweigh any problems you might have with the space bar's now slightly out of place appearance.

2. Dampen the keys themselves with O-Rings. I like Cherry Brown switches, but they are kind of obnoxious to play games with for me because I always tend to heavily bottom out keys when I'm gaming, which doesn't work so well with Cherry Browns because they "clack" rather annoyingly when you bottom them out, and the feel of hard plastic banging against another piece of hard plastic with no padding whatsoever doesn't feel very good either. So, after officially admitting to myself that I have a heavy case of having gone completely off the deep end into nerd-dom, I bought some very small O-rings (5mm diameter by 1.5mm thickness, to be specific) and did this to all the keys:

After fitting all the keys with these things, bottoming them out is now accompanied by a more satisfying and muffled thud instead of a clack, and the impact is dampened now as well, which is a good thing. Also, it's worth noting that installing the O-rings didn't decrease the key travel by any noticeable degree, so that's really not a concern, in case anybody cares.

Installing the O-rings cost me about $10 at Lowe's and a half an hour or so to do, and I really think it was worth it. The difference isn't exactly night and day like you might expect it to be, but it is different enough (and an improvement enough, in my opinion) to do it. And just as an after thought, the Backspace, Escape key, and space bar on Cherry Brown keyboards are actually improved pretty significantly by these O-rings moreso than the other keys. They now feel the same as everything else, whereas before they were particularly bad in the way they felt and sounded.

3. Put a mouse pad under the keyboard. Simple, really. It just dampens the sound of the keys. It makes more of a difference than you'd think, actually. Try it. If I had to put a reason with it, I'd say that the stock rubber feet on the bottom of the keyboard aren't soft enough to actually dampen any vibrations produced when you hit the keys, so the keyboard actually ends up having a pretty solid connection to the desktop, despite those rubber feet, and it uses the surface of the desk in the same way that guitar strings use the surface of an acoustic guitar to amplify those vibrations. Anyway, a mouse pad definitely helps.

So, after doing all this bullshit to my Filco, I think I finally have the perfect keyboard now. How about that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 16, 2010

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

malefactor posted:

Look at him go :swoon:

Search youtube for "GunZ" and "finger". My phalanges hurt just thinking about that loving game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_if-pQ1WzE

GreatGreen posted:

I did this to the keyboard of my old Packard Bell 286 way back in the day, and it worked beautifully. Honestly I'm kind of surprised Filco doesn't just build them that way in the first place.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

1. Reverse the space bar - I'm totally serious. I was amazed at the difference this made. I found that while I liked the feel of the rest of the keyboard, the spacebar was practically cutting into my thumbs with the way it was angled, so I decided to flip it around, and the problem, to my surprise, was basically eliminated completely. The top of the space bar is now angled exactly flush with the way my thumbs land on it.

Haha, I thought I was the only one who bitched about this. The HHKB has an edge that is angled just right to bite into your thumb.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
You'd honestly be shocked at just how much better it feels after you reverse it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 14, 2010

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there any particular reason why Bluetooth keyboards (and mice) are so few and far between? I can't imagine that the demand is low.

I find it weird that numpad, Bluetooth and laptop keys (non-tactile) is a lot to demand.

nikomo
Oct 21, 2009

by angerbotSD
When I got my G19, I humped it for 5 days straight.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to think that the Cherry Blues are just not for me. If anyone has a Filco with browns they'd like to trade, or something similar, my Filco tenkeyless with cherry blues is basically new in box.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

nikomo posted:

When I got my G19, I humped it for 5 days straight.

For 175 bucks, does it hump back?

Has anyone used this logitech ultra-thin? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126043

I'm using a saitek eclipse now, but I've had it for a while and the keys have become pretty worn. I'd like something thats a nicer build quality with a short keystroke and this seemed to fit the bill.

Pen Expers fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 16, 2010

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

powderific posted:

I'm starting to think that the Cherry Blues are just not for me. If anyone has a Filco with browns they'd like to trade, or something similar, my Filco tenkeyless with cherry blues is basically new in box.
I've got a gently used black Cherry G80-3000 w/ browns in US ANSI if you're interested.

Pen Expers posted:

Has anyone used this logitech ultra-thin? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126043
Arguably the best non-Lenovo laptop-style scissor switch keyboard out there. The Lenovo you're looking for is the ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint. Another good option would be a Cherry ML-based keyboard (low-profile mechanical linear), such as the Cherry G84-4100 or G84-5000.

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

EnergizerFellow posted:

... such as the Cherry G84-4100 or G84-5000.

You only have 2KRO with the G84 series - or at least on my G84-4100. The keys feel nice but if you're playing an FPS I can hit 2KRO quite easily (moving a direction while changing weapon for example). I understand that the other keyboards in the G84 series have different keys (membrane?) to the G84-4100, although this isn't first-hand knowledge and is just something I think I've read somewhere (probably geekhack.org)

I'm assuming this might be important, as you were originally using a 'gamers' keyboard.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

EnergizerFellow posted:

I've got a gently used black Cherry G80-3000 w/ browns in US ANSI if you're interested.

Arguably the best non-Lenovo laptop-style scissor switch keyboard out there. The Lenovo you're looking for is the ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint. Another good option would be a Cherry ML-based keyboard (low-profile mechanical linear), such as the Cherry G84-4100 or G84-5000.
Have you actually used the ThinkPad keyboards? I'm reading widespread complaints about problems with capitalization

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Cool thanks for the info, I went ahead and ordered the logitech. Those Cherry keyboards are nice but I play just enough computer games that the lower number of keys at a time would probably bother me.

Pen Expers fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Feb 16, 2010

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Pen Expers posted:

Cool thanks for the info, I went ahead and ordered the logitech. Those Cherry keyboards are nice but I play just enough computer games that the lower number of keys at a time would probably bother me.

The Filco keyboards w/ Cherry switches have N-key rollover, meaning you can press as many keys at once as you want, provided you use the PS/2 port.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

weapey posted:

You only have 2KRO with the G84 series - or at least on my G84-4100. The keys feel nice but if you're playing an FPS I can hit 2KRO quite easily (moving a direction while changing weapon for example). I understand that the other keyboards in the G84 series have different keys (membrane?) to the G84-4100, although this isn't first-hand knowledge and is just something I think I've read somewhere (probably geekhack.org)

I'm assuming this might be important, as you were originally using a 'gamers' keyboard.
The Logitech Illuminated has plenty of rollover and keyscan (blocking) issues itself. In fact, I know of no scissor switch board on the market with true N-key rollover (or 6+4 over USB). If it's any consolation, even the vaunted Model M is only 2KRO.

As for the Cherry G84, they are all ML switches. There are other products, such as the J84 or G81, that use the same case as the G84 (i.e. look the same) but have different internals.

ufarn posted:

Have you actually used the ThinkPad keyboards? I'm reading widespread complaints about problems with capitalization
I own numerous ThinkPads, plus their respective external keyboards, (typing on a X301 right now) and it's the first time I've heard of the issue, even on geekhack, so take that for what it's worth.

GreatGreen posted:

The Filco keyboards w/ Cherry switches have N-key rollover, meaning you can press as many keys at once as you want, provided you use the PS/2 port.
They do make non-NKRO versions of the 104-key, but, AFAIK, all tenkeyless and Zero versions are NKRO.

http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_104key

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

ufarn posted:

Yeah, I have one of these newer ThinkPad keyboards and have that problem often. In fact, just had it typing "THinkPad". I'm still using it for the utility of the trackpoint, though.

• Locked thread