Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GIMMEL
Jan 24, 2005

by Lowtax
Hate the thick window borders? Change border padding in advanced appearance options. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

GIMMEL posted:

Hate the thick window borders? Change border padding in advanced appearance options. :)

Or if you love them.

GIMMEL
Jan 24, 2005

by Lowtax

Doody the Clown posted:

Or if you love them.

No.. no....... :negative:

MjolnirMan
Aug 15, 2006
It's Hammertime
"Add-ons for Firefox > All Themes > OS Integration > iPad Glass (140 reviews)"

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
On that note, is it just me who hates Firefox's lack of Aero integration?

Click here for the full 1119x693 image.

Much better!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I just got windows 7 a few weeks back and I'm still getting used to it, so i have a question regarding how items are displayed within folders. With my music collection on my old computer I liked having my album folders display in thumbnail view so I could see all of the album artwork, and then when I clicked on an album the songs would be listed under list view. With windows 7 I can't seem to figure out how to mix and match views. Everything in my music library can be list view or thumbnail view but there's no in between.

So I've been keeping it on list view but now sometimes I'll pull open an album and it'll have defaulted to detail view on top of the previous problem. This is a little nitpick but its starting to drive me crazy. Can anybody help?

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
I have been using Windows 7 for about a month now and I was wondering if I should bother with ReadyBoost. I have 4gb of RAM but I am not sure if any of my USB sticks are "ReadyBoost optimized" or whatever they are called.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Me Clumsy posted:

I have been using Windows 7 for about a month now and I was wondering if I should bother with ReadyBoost. I have 4gb of RAM but I am not sure if any of my USB sticks are "ReadyBoost optimized" or whatever they are called.

Not at 4 gigs, not worth it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Me Clumsy posted:

I have been using Windows 7 for about a month now and I was wondering if I should bother with ReadyBoost.
No.

The Faustus
Sep 8, 2008

it's u
Readyboost is kinda pointless imho

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Yeah I did some tests running Bioshock - not even a new game - and it would occasionally stutter if I had a USB stick as ReadyBoost, whereas without it would be completely smooth.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

The Faustus posted:

Yes I know about img burn. But its not very good all around software outside of its specialty.
What exactly are you needing, then? I haven't used a program outside of IMGBurn for a few years because it handles everything I need it to do.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rolleyes posted:

On that note, is it just me who hates Firefox's lack of Aero integration?

Click here for the full 1119x693 image.

Much better!

No, I hate it as well.

[img]http://www.contriving.net/ftpd/forums/ffox_aero[thumb].jpg[/img]

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

-Dethstryk- posted:

What exactly are you needing, then? I haven't used a program outside of IMGBurn for a few years because it handles everything I need it to do.

ImgBurn can't do multisession, and the author has no interest in adding support for it.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

edit: deleted.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

One of the things that I've been a little confused about in 7 was the action center. It perpetually keeps an icon in the notification area whether there's a detected issue or not, and it doesn't seem to notify me when there is an issue. Once a week or so when I'm bored I'll click on it and see some message from a few days ago. Is this how it's supposed to work? It seems like there should be some notification or something.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

raezr posted:

One of the things that I've been a little confused about in 7 was the action center. It perpetually keeps an icon in the notification area whether there's a detected issue or not, and it doesn't seem to notify me when there is an issue. Once a week or so when I'm bored I'll click on it and see some message from a few days ago. Is this how it's supposed to work? It seems like there should be some notification or something.

Right click the notification area and select "Customize notification icons." Then you can change the action center to only show up when it has something to tell you.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Is the "tabs on top" appearance just a userChrome.css addition on top of Glasser or is it an entirely different solution from what rolleyes is doing?

edit: looks like you're using the Strata40 theme + StrataBuddy

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 14, 2010

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Zorilla posted:

Is the "tabs on top" appearance just a userChrome.css addition on top of Glasser or is it an entirely different solution from what rolleyes is doing?

edit: looks like you're using the Strata40 theme + StrataBuddy

Yeah...Strata40 + StrataBuddy does the job.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You could just use Chrome and not have to mess with any of that poo poo :smug: Chrome users were already in the Aero support club.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

big mean giraffe posted:

You could just use Chrome and not have to mess with any of that poo poo :smug: Chrome users were already in the Aero support club.

Hey look, Google Chrome no longer looks like a Taiwanese motherboard overclocking utility :smug: :smug:

All it needs now is Firebug (covered by "Inspect element", though it's not nearly as good) and an HTML validation plugin and I'd consider switching.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 14, 2010

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I have been using Win7 since the RC and I am addicted to it now. I don't think I can use XP as my PC OS anymore.

I see this everyday when I work on my computer at work and I am always trying to cram windows on the top to make it full screen.

Someone actually commented on why I was trying so hard to push my mouse into the edge.

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

Zorilla posted:

Hey look, Google Chrome no longer looks like a Taiwanese motherboard overclocking utility :smug: :smug:

All it needs now is Firebug (covered by "Inspect element") and an HTML validation plugin and I'd consider switching.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/search?q=validation

the Dealy Lama
Apr 2, 2005
Hail Eris! Hail Eris! Hail Eris!

EVIR Gibson posted:

I have been using Win7 since the RC and I am addicted to it now. I don't think I can use XP as my PC OS anymore.

I see this everyday when I work on my computer at work and I am always trying to cram windows on the top to make it full screen.

Someone actually commented on why I was trying so hard to push my mouse into the edge.

You need AeroSnap for XP.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I know you can specify new locations for specific user folders, like Documents, Saved Games, Music, etc ... but is there any Microsoft-supported way to move the entire C:\Users structure elsewhere? Or the individuals users would be alright too, but doing it piecemeal by subfolder is a pain in the rear end.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

teethgrinder posted:

I know you can specify new locations for specific user folders, like Documents, Saved Games, Music, etc ... but is there any Microsoft-supported way to move the entire C:\Users structure elsewhere? Or the individuals users would be alright too, but doing it piecemeal by subfolder is a pain in the rear end.

microsoft supported? you can change the registry keys...but that seems like bad juju to me. Why anyone would want to do it is beyond me.
http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2009/05/how-to-change-user-profile-default-location-in-windows-7/

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

the Dealy Lama posted:

Maybe, if it wasn't a work computer.

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

teethgrinder posted:

You could move everything to another location, and use a junction to point C:\Users to it, sort of like Vista/7 use a junction to point c:\Documents and Settings to c:\users.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

teethgrinder posted:

Create junction.

Think of them as like symbolic links but much simpler.

I use Junction Link Magic. Easy interface and does what you want. Also lists any juncitons you might have laying around especially those User directories.

http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

It says 2000/XP, but it's working for me in Win7 as well.

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

EVIR Gibson posted:

Create junction.

Think of them as like symbolic links but much simpler.

I use Junction Link Magic. Easy interface and does what you want. Also lists any juncitons you might have laying around especially those User directories.

http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

It says 2000/XP, but it's working for me in Win7 as well.

This is much better:
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html
It does junctions, hard links, and symbolic links as an Explorer shell extension.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

madlobster posted:

This is much better:
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html
It does junctions, hard links, and symbolic links as an Explorer shell extension.

I tried that, but I like the checks the junction magic makes before you actually do it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Except last I checked there was no equivalent Chrome replacement for about half of the extensions I use on a regular basis.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

the Dealy Lama posted:

Aero Snap for XP you say? No problem. I use that on my work computer to arrange windows

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...
Trip report: Built a new PC with a quadcore and a solid state drive. Only 2 gig of ram. Installed Windows 7. Loving it so far. Absolutely no problems of any note. Looking forward to my first new OS since XP!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
'Only' 2GB is still absolutely fine for most people these days. I've got 4GB mainly because I sometimes edit video so it's helpful to have as much of it as possible cached in RAM rather than waiting around for it to be reloaded from disk.

The other place it can come in handy is loading times, since Windows uses all the unused RAM as a giant file cache. For example, the first time I load any level in MW2 multiplayer it takes about 30 seconds. Any time after that it takes about 10, because a lot of the same container files are reloaded regardless of level and they're all cached by that point.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Zorilla posted:

All it needs now is Firebug (covered by "Inspect element", though it's not nearly as good) and an HTML validation plugin and I'd consider switching.

Search for 'Pendule'. I haven't had too much time to play with it, but it has a very solid inspect element functionality along with some other debug stuff.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

WTFBEES posted:

Right click the notification area and select "Customize notification icons." Then you can change the action center to only show up when it has something to tell you.

The problem with this is that then you have the little arrow saying that you have hidden icons. What I'd like (and I assume raezr wants as well) is for icons in that area to only be there when they have something to say and not be in a "click here to see all your hidden icons" button there instead.

They aren't really all that hidden if there's a button visible that lets you see them. That button makes me want to click it to see what other bullshit some app has tried to install and run in the background... but mostly it's just the Action Center. Mocking me.

So I have it show me all the icons all the time, and try to ignore the wasted space of Networking and Action Center and Volume Control. :\

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Thermopyle posted:

Except last I checked there was no equivalent Chrome replacement for about half of the extensions I use on a regular basis.

Check again, unless they're crazy site-specific ones, they should be available, and the site specific ones should work as long as there's a UserJS.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Zorilla posted:

And if you want a Firebug replacement that works more like firebug...

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/bmagokdooijbeehmkpknfglimnifench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The Faustus posted:

Whats the cool/hip burning software these days?
After installing Windows 7 I spent a few hours looking for a good, general purpose burning software that could burn what I used Nero Burning ROM for (audio cds, mini-DVDs, data DVDs, video DVDs). After much frustration, the only answer I could come up with that did all of that as convieniently as Nero Burning ROM was...Nero Burning ROM.

If there's a silver lining, it's that the latest version of the Nero suite allows you to just install Nero Burning ROM and not the rest of the bloated suite.