Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MOLLUSC
Nov 30, 2005

Myopic posted:

Thanks, will probably pick some up next time I buy putty. I think I'm almost out of green stuff now actually, anyone know any cheap UK suppliers? I've only seen it sold by Heresy and it's about £8 IIRC

This guys ebay store has it in a few different lengths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Furret Basket posted:

Thanks for the tip to Heresy they have some great minis.

They do indeed. Some of their monster sculpts are awesome if you don't mind being driven insane assembling the things

Good service too, shame the website is stuck in 1998. Frames :suicide:

Chaos Emerald posted:

This guys ebay store has it in a few different lengths.

Sorry, I meant the stuff Sole.Sushi was talking about. No matter though 'cause that's some really cheap green stuff right there, ProCreate will have to wait. Thanks.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Furret Basket posted:

Hurray! I had actually wondered if Royal Mail had lost mail. :( Thanks!

Nah, I just suck. Enjoy!

edit:
Some of you might be interested in the following links:
DIY paper & clips light-tent

Also, a bit of info on the injection moulds used by brickarms,
Everyones favourite manufacturer of Weapons of Plastic Brick Destruction

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 12, 2010

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Does anyone know a good place in the US that sells a good assortment of Tamiya poo poo online? Not sure where to even start looking, it seems like there are a million little hobby model shops.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Hobbytown USA has a good selection of their stuff in their stores, maybe you can order it online.

If not, just find some ebay sellers

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I just drat near re-primed my sisters because I thought I had grabbed a can of dullcote. That was close.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

PaintVagrant posted:

Hobbytown USA has a good selection of their stuff in their stores, maybe you can order it online.

If not, just find some ebay sellers

Ah thanks, hobbytown does have an online store apparently.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fix posted:

I just drat near re-primed my sisters because I thought I had grabbed a can of dullcote. That was close.

:aaaaa:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Chenghiz posted:

Does anyone know a good place in the US that sells a good assortment of Tamiya poo poo online? Not sure where to even start looking, it seems like there are a million little hobby model shops.

This, but in Canada. I love Tamiya primer, but the only store in town that carries it is on the far end, some distance from the buses, and staffed by dickheads who hate any and all customers.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Fix posted:

That would have been one of those moments, where I'd put the army away for months in shame of what I had just done.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

GoodBee posted:

What on earth are you asking me?

Dammit, sorry. Yes, I was inquiring as to what Eldar your brother was selling, as I may be interested in purchasing it. I promise to check that I'm typing an actual language in the future.

email me at feeple at g mail dot com if he's looking to sell something. Again, sorry.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Can I use rustoleom gloss coat and then use dull coat or do I need to buy GWs stupidly expensive 'ard coat?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
PV, what do you use for gloss varnish, since we are on the topic? I picked up some cans of Dullcoate, but then blanked as to what to get for the gloss. Suggestions?

fake edit: Turns out the Testors company is based out of Rockford IL, a good 5 minutes away from where I live. Gonna see if I can get a tour and do a snapshot story of their awful, awful products (excluding dullcoate).

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I have Testors gloss and dull and they seem to work well the 3 or 4 times I've used them.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This, but in Canada. I love Tamiya primer, but the only store in town that carries it is on the far end, some distance from the buses, and staffed by dickheads who hate any and all customers.

Why must some hobby shops be so hit or miss with Tamiya products? The only hobby place even remotely close to where I live carries a few spray cans and the odd model kit for Tamiya (mostly motorcycles. One day I'll convert the White Scar Kahn on a pimpin hog...). Was really hoping they had their weathering kits which seem reasonably priced ($10-14 if I remember right), and handy for multiple jobs since you get 4 weathering colours in the kit. Instead they carry some brand I've never heard of which sells individual weathering colours for $15 or a 4 pack set for $55. Meh to that.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I love Tamiya primer.

Glad to see that it's got fans, actually came to ask about it as I just picked some up for the first time.

I find priming to be the most frustrating part of painting. Because I find it easier to paint my models in pieces, it makes it annoying to prime consistently. Would anyone recommend priming on the sprue, or is this not a good idea?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
New Microarts Studio Maxmini stuff

Figured some of you 40kers might find those useful. I'm almost tempted to grab one set of shoulderpads, grind Vlad's huge shoulders away, and replace them.

Aranan fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 13, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I use testors "model master" gloss and matte (enamel, i think)

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Anphrax posted:

Can I use rustoleom gloss coat and then use dull coat or do I need to buy GWs stupidly expensive 'ard coat?

I still like to paint 'ard coat on pointy bits for extra protection. I don't normally use it all over. I've used it on Tyranid carapace to make it shiny and painted in my Warpwolf's mouth to make it look wet. It's useful stuff.

Feeple posted:

Dammit, sorry. Yes, I was inquiring as to what Eldar your brother was selling, as I may be interested in purchasing it. I promise to check that I'm typing an actual language in the future.

No problem. He's got the Ulthwe super Guardian army. All painted black and bone.
2 Farseers
13 Warlocks
1 Avatar
32 Guardians w/1 Star Cannon, 1 Brightlance plus crew
20 Storm Guardians
3 Shadow Weavers with crew
2 War Walkers w/Star Cannon/Brightlance
3 Vipers - 2 Star Cannon, 1 Brightlance
3 Jetbikes
1 Shrieker Jetbike
1 Warlock on Jetbike
6 Swooping Hawks
1 Swooping Hawk Exarch

I'll give him your email address. Have you looked at them in person and/or talked to him about buying it already?

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Aranan posted:

New Microarts Studio stuff

Figured some of you 40kers might find those useful. I'm almost tempted to grab one set of shoulderpads, grind Vlad's huge shoulders away, and replace them.

The idea of having crusader terminator armor is almost enough to make me break down and buy a set of the plastic ones and those shoulders or use them as a custodians terminator squad.

*Edit*

Are these on Microarts site yet or these just promo pics?

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Whoops, they're from Maxmini, not Microart. Sorry. :shobon:

http://www.mywargame.com/2010/02/13/maxmini-previews-and-releases-shoulder-pads-bone-swords-power-hammers/

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Aranan posted:

I'm almost tempted to grab one set of shoulderpads, grind Vlad's huge shoulders away, and replace them.

Yessssssss, gently caress those huge stupid things.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

stabbington posted:

Yessssssss, gently caress those huge stupid things.

I have ranted on the pVlad models many times before, but it's really starting to bug me because I have been using him in Vassal lately and enjoying it. That means I have to look at getting one of the (ugly) miniatures.

I'm still praying that when my preorder Khador book gets here, I'll see a new sculpt of Vlad chilling out in the back in the gallery just like the new Cygnar light warjacks are hiding in the back of the Cygnar book.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Goodbeeeeeee post your Googly Niiiiiids :arghfist:

GoodBee posted:

No problem. He's got the Ulthwe super Guardian army. All painted black and bone.
2 Farseers
13 Warlocks
1 Avatar
20 Storm Guardians
3 Jetbikes
1 Shrieker Jetbike
1 Warlock on Jetbike
6 Swooping Hawks
1 Swooping Hawk Exarch

Doesn't the army also have it's own wraithgate tokens or something? :eng101:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

GoodBee posted:

2 Farseers
13 Warlocks
1 Avatar
20 Storm Guardians
3 Jetbikes
1 Shrieker Jetbike
1 Warlock on Jetbike
6 Swooping Hawks
1 Swooping Hawk Exarch

I'll give him your email address. Have you looked at them in person and/or talked to him about buying it already?
I haven't; I've just started collecting Eldar. To be honest, I will look and see what he's offering, but I was hoping that it was unpainted.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Aranan posted:

New Microarts Studio Maxmini stuff

Aw Christ. Next week's paycheck?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I just finished painting my Rune Priest/Njal Stormcaller in powered armour! Wee!

And yeah I'm freehanding that insignia on every shoulder pad in my army :suicide:

Any advice/crits? I'm starting to regret the red in the runic weapon's haft already.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Chenghiz posted:

I just finished painting my Rune Priest/Njal Stormcaller in powered armour! Wee!

Any advice/crits? I'm starting to regret the red in the runic weapon's haft already.
the highlights on the back of his heels are kinda severe, and he looks like somebody just blew their load in his eye

other than that the freehand is baller and I like the effects on the frost blade a lot

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Chenghiz posted:

And yeah I'm freehanding that insignia on every shoulder pad in my army :suicide:

It has come up in this thread and the other thread, but I think the glowing eye needs some work. I totally understood what it was supposed to be, but I can also see how its getting misread. It's difficult to tell how much of that is the camera. If possible, I would try to go back over the details of his eye, brow, etc, with a slightly darker blue in order to give them definition. I think that would make it seem more 'glow' and less 'splat'. I don't do well with lighting effects though, so perhaps PV or one of the other more advanced painters can give you a hand.

Edit: I also think the red looks pretty good, its a nice balance of color. v:shobon:v

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Well cool thanks. I'll give the eye a blue wash and see what a little darker blue paint can do for his face.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

oh man, those Power Hammers look fantastic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chenghiz posted:

That wolf insignia, if looked at a different way, looks like a big mouth with a tongue lolling about. Maybe add a tiny, tiny black dot/slit for an eye?

edit: god drat it didn't mean to double post

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Okay! Found my scheme for my Cryx

How the hell do I do that?

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
This is my first ever attempt at painting... pretty much anything outside grade school art class, figured I'd start on some rank and file zombies. Suggestions and constructive criticism welcome.

Very big image.

Click here for the full 615x461 image.

jubelio fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 19, 2010

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Base them, wash them (devlan mud all over will look good, but thin it a little) and be proud that your first attempt was light years ahead of most other people's.

Very neat and you coloured inside the lines, which is better than most.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
finished oath crosspost

Dire avengers

Exarch

Yog-Sothoth fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 14, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Those are pretty bitchin.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
How did you get that orange colour so vibrant?

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate

Furret Basket posted:

How did you get that orange colour so vibrant?

It's blazing orange (a little thin so the white shines through a tad but not wash-thin) over white primer, baal red wash, another dab of baal red directly into the deepest cracks and a bit of edge highlighting

white primer supremacy. i've never been able to get black primed models to get anywhere near the colour vibrancy of white, and washes pretty much eliminate the need to build up from dark basecoats in the recesses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Painting advice needed:
I found a blue I'm happy with - Game colour Imperial blue over Model colour Flat blue:

So I tried a wash of asurmen blue over that:

And then thought "While I've got the airbrush out, I'll try airbrushing the wash over":

So, #1 is the base colour I'm happy with, #2 is washed, #3 is sprayed with wash.
I was thinking the brushed wash dude looks better, so follow this with a highlight of the imperial blue, then 1:1 imperial:flat blue - does this sound appropriate?

• Locked thread