Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Cuntpunch posted:

Either I'm misunderstanding you or you aren't reading what I wrote. From what I can tell, right now, attempting to make sense of "adding into a new empty playlist" all music has to be in the Library before you can add it to a playlist. When I try to add music to the Library - it fails silently without any messages. The files I am trying to add open and play perfectly well in any media player including Quicktime. They're just mp3s with ID3 tags, nothing else.

I meant by drag & drop - open iTunes, create an empty playlist, drag the things that can't seem to add onto that playlist.

I had the problem and it turned out the music was already in my library but the tags were terrible so they weren't where I expected them. Adding to a playlist solves that as you can now see exactly what got added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Carthag posted:

I meant by drag & drop - open iTunes, create an empty playlist, drag the things that can't seem to add onto that playlist.

I had the problem and it turned out the music was already in my library but the tags were terrible so they weren't where I expected them. Adding to a playlist solves that as you can now see exactly what got added.

I see what you mean now but that's definitely not a problem. Foobar is my primary media player but only recently I've wanted to import all my music to iTunes to be able play some music at work. I've got less than a couple dozen albums so it's easy to see when/if something fails. Especially when I try to add a 2-album artist and only one album gets added.

thiazi posted:

I had a similar problem a few years ago, and apparently it was due to corruption/errors in the mp3 files themselves which many other programs just ignore but iTunes crapped out on. I used mp3val (http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/) to scan and fix them, then had no issues adding them to iTunes.

Tested this on a few known trouble albums so far and it's showing some sync errors in them. Repairing them makes them add to iTunes perfectly fine. I think it's the fix. Thank you so much.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009
So, this is completely out of the blue, and it's an issue I've had for quite a while but I just remembered it tonight and it's always kind of bugged me.

In the library view of iTunes, are the alternating colors of the background supposed to be visible at full brightness? I can't remember when, but after and update or an upgrade or something, everything looks full white to me instead of the alternating white/grey that it always was. However, the actual differentiation is still there because I can see it when a window is active above iTunes (via the drop shadow of the active window). Also, if I take a screenshot of the library window and then open it in Photoshop and decrease the brightness the lines appear. But if I decrease the brightness on my display via the keyboard shortcuts, I still can't see any of the differentiation.

I know this sounds weird and dumb but it's always kind of bugged me since it happened and I can't figure out if that's just the way it's supposed to be or how to fix it.

For reference, can you see the different background colors in this entire image, or only in the drop shadow from calc?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Apps posted:

For reference, can you see the different background colors in this entire image, or only in the drop shadow from calc?

I can see them everywhere, even in your screenshot. Your monitor probably has the contrast/brightness set waaaaay wrong, or your gamma is wrong, or you're looking at your monitor from the wrong angle. If I look at the lines on my MBP's LCD screen at just the wrong angle, they nearly disappear.

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

chimz posted:

I can see them everywhere, even in your screenshot. Your monitor probably has the contrast/brightness set waaaaay wrong, or your gamma is wrong, or you're looking at your monitor from the wrong angle. If I look at the lines on my MBP's LCD screen at just the wrong angle, they nearly disappear.
I figured as much, but the problem is that when I adjust the brightness via the system preferences it doesn't they don't become visible at all, the whole thing just becomes a grayer shade of white.

I've tried changing the color profile and everything. I have no idea how it happened or how to get it back.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Apps posted:

I figured as much, but the problem is that when I adjust the brightness via the system preferences it doesn't they don't become visible at all, the whole thing just becomes a grayer shade of white.

I've tried changing the color profile and everything. I have no idea how it happened or how to get it back.

System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Set the "Enhance Contrast" slider back to "Normal"

Apps
Oct 3, 2009

Choadmaster posted:

System Preferences -> Universal Access -> Set the "Enhance Contrast" slider back to "Normal"
Oh hey would you look at that. Somehow it had gained a notch.

Thanks a ton. Although I will have to get used to everything looking ever so slightly differently now, haha. I suppose it's for the best if I'm doing any design or graphic work.

jimmydean
Aug 25, 2008
I tried to search for this but couldn't find anything too recent. Is it possible, using windows, to show lyrics within itunes. I'm basically trying to start over music collection wise and I'm tired of using some kids buggy rear end skin in foobar.

I'm trying to find a new audio player basically. One thing I really can't do without is lyrics. Any recommendations audio player wise or downloads for itunes?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

jimmydean posted:

I tried to search for this but couldn't find anything too recent. Is it possible, using windows, to show lyrics within itunes. I'm basically trying to start over music collection wise and I'm tired of using some kids buggy rear end skin in foobar.

I'm trying to find a new audio player basically. One thing I really can't do without is lyrics. Any recommendations audio player wise or downloads for itunes?

There's a lyrics tab in the detailed info for a song. I dunno if there's a good way to show lyrics while a song is playing in iTunes, but I know it shows up on iPhones.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Has anyone ever had any issues with iTunes 'magically' deleting music? My wife swears it is happening to her, she'll have added some mp3's she bought from emusic, and it will all go well, then 2 or 3 weeks later, she'll go to play them and they are not there, they're not findable in iTunes, nor can you find them by filename on the filesystem. They are just gone. I've never had anything like that happen, but I mainly use itunes for apps and podcasts. Anyone else seen this, or have any idea what could be going on?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You didn't specify which OS you use, so I'll assume Windows. Does she use Windows Media Player at all? Even by accident? Is it installed on your computer? Is WMP associated with any file? I've heard numerous anecdotes WMP mysteriously deletes stuff. The only files iTunes will delete automatically are old podcasts (unless you change it) and rentals from the iTunes Store.

Another idea is the playlists she might be using. If she uses the Recently Added playlist, it may have dropped off the list, and if so, it's still in the Music library.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Are you managing your library or is itunes doing it?

If you manage stuff yourself and have a folder called downloads inside your library that you put new stuff into, iTunes will delete them on restart (at least it used to). It's deleting the downloads folder because it assumes it's one it made itself for iTunes purchases, not bothering to check if there are other things in there.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

wolffenstein posted:

You didn't specify which OS you use, so I'll assume Windows. Does she use Windows Media Player at all? Even by accident? Is it installed on your computer? Is WMP associated with any file?
She's on XP, doesn't use WMP, but does use WinMX occasionally for the chronotron plugin (but it doesn't index her music). No playlists either, but I'll double check that, even using iTunes 'search' feature, the music doesn't show up.

Carthag posted:

Are you managing your library or is itunes doing it?

If you manage stuff yourself and have a folder called downloads inside your library that you put new stuff into, iTunes will delete them on restart (at least it used to). It's deleting the downloads folder because it assumes it's one it made itself for iTunes purchases, not bothering to check if there are other things in there.
She does manage it herself, this sounds like a good thread for me to follow, it would make sense since it's normally music she's purchased from another store. I'm hoping this is it.

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
Is it possible either via AppleScript or iTunes itself to export a list of just the artists in my iTunes library?

edit: nevermind, File -> Print -> Filter other columns out in Excel

do it fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 23, 2010

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is it possible to have iTunes on your machine without the 3 or 4 background processes that go along with it (bounjourservice, ipodhelper, etc..) I don't have any iPod or anything and they all seem to be related to that and are therefore no good to me, but everytime I've managed to disable them (by various workaround type methods) they always seem to show up in my processes list eventually.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it
So I recently had to reinstall windows, and I decided to try using itunes to manage my ipod because I was having some minor issues with mediamonkey. So now I'm trying to sync my ipod for the first time, but it wants to erase all my music (with the ratings and stuff that I gave them). Is there anything that I can do here?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You'll have to get your music off the iPod using third-party software. As you and most people found out the hard way, native iTunes and iPod/iPhone/iPad syncing is one-way (from iTunes to device). Getting your actual music won't be a problem, but don't hold your breath for ratings and playlists.

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it

wolffenstein posted:

You'll have to get your music off the iPod using third-party software. As you and most people found out the hard way, native iTunes and iPod/iPhone/iPad syncing is one-way (from iTunes to device). Getting your actual music won't be a problem, but don't hold your breath for ratings and playlists.

I still have the music (it was on an external drive), so that's not a big deal. Will it pull ratings from my ipod that I add from the ipod itself?

EDIT: I mean after I wipe it and re-upload my music.

Captain Frigate fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 24, 2010

Aurelius
Jun 19, 2002

Captain Frigate posted:

I still have the music (it was on an external drive), so that's not a big deal. Will it pull ratings from my ipod that I add from the ipod itself?

EDIT: I mean after I wipe it and re-upload my music.

I don't have any problems with iTunes pulling ratings I've made on the iPod from the iPod.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Aurelius posted:

I don't have any problems with iTunes pulling ratings I've made on the iPod from the iPod.

Yes, but when he re-uploads his music to the iPod any ratings he had added previously will be wiped as well.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I'm sure this has come up a million times... but seriously this seemes stupid. I bought some episodes of the wire while using my laptop. Now I want to watch them from my desktop. How do I download them to my desktop?

As far as I can tell from the internet, iTunes doesn't allow this? Really? What about if I wipe my hard drive for some reason and want to redownload? I didn't even consider that they wouldn't allow this, since Steam makes it so easy for games.

Does Amazon Video on Demand allow this?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You should be able to use your iTunes account on that computer too. Sign in and redownload? I know that you can authorize 5 computers per account, including iPods and devices.

Otherwise, there's that new Home Sharing thing, but I've not tried it.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

modig posted:

I'm sure this has come up a million times... but seriously this seemes stupid. I bought some episodes of the wire while using my laptop. Now I want to watch them from my desktop. How do I download them to my desktop?

As far as I can tell from the internet, iTunes doesn't allow this? Really?
Really.

modig posted:

What about if I wipe my hard drive for some reason and want to redownload?
Backups. Look into them. Not Apple's problem if you don't want to protect things you paid for.

IUG posted:

You should be able to use your iTunes account on that computer too. Sign in and redownload? I know that you can authorize 5 computers per account, including iPods and devices.

You can only download content (other than iPhone apps) once, without getting customer service involved. The number of authorized devices controls which machines can play, not how many can download the same file.

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 24, 2010

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

In case the above wasn't clear,

1. copy the files onto your desktop
2. open them in itunes
3. enter your account credentials if you haven't already

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I recently got a new windows 7 computer and I decided to use Itunes as my music players. It's been pretty good so far but I've run into a really annoying bug or two.

1. Itunes doesn't sort file names properly - for example if I have an album with 10 tracks, with file names like 01 - Quick.mp3 and 02 - Alphabet.mp3, Itunes sorts them like this

Alphabet
Quick

2. The second problem is that I can't edit the metadata on songs on a secondary IDE drive I have. I can't seem to fix the file permissions to let me edit them. I can edit the tags on songs in my primary drive but not this one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

clockworkjoe posted:

I recently got a new windows 7 computer and I decided to use Itunes as my music players. It's been pretty good so far but I've run into a really annoying bug or two.

1. Itunes doesn't sort file names properly - for example if I have an album with 10 tracks, with file names like 01 - Quick.mp3 and 02 - Alphabet.mp3, Itunes sorts them like this

Alphabet
Quick

2. The second problem is that I can't edit the metadata on songs on a secondary IDE drive I have. I can't seem to fix the file permissions to let me edit them. I can edit the tags on songs in my primary drive but not this one.

re: 1 - do they have track numbers tagged? If so, do they have the same album/artist tages (try selecting the whole album and going info on it -- if either artist or album fields are blank, theres a subtle difference. Try setting them to the same albumwide.

re: 2 - Can you edit the files on your other drive with some other app? I dunno how windows works but I know that on Macs and Linux/Unix variants you can mount drives with a certain set of privileges to prevent messing around. That might be it I dunno much about windows?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I use iTunes to manage music on my iPhone. I have it set to sync the entire library, but only checked songs. When I'm actually playing music through iTunes itself, though, it skips unchecked songs. Is there any way to disable that?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Is there any reason why iTunes is such a resource hog? I'm suspecting poor code porting.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Are there like, any smart playlist packs I could download to mess with, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel here I'd like to see what other people have done.

Also, most of my tags are good, but my genre tags suck, any automated way I can get these refilled in. I finally just let iTunes take care of my library but I kinda need to fix this to make any smart playlists I make more effective.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

So I use my smart playlists mostly to group artists with side projects or labels together-- just add the keyword to the comment and it works great. I've finally filled up my 160, though, and I'd like a new playlist that includes any music that's in one of the other playlists and then autofills randomly on top to fill up the iPod. The first part's easy, obviously, but I'm not sure what to do about the second bit.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

clockworkjoe posted:

Alphabet
Quick

1) It sounds like you don't have any metadata filled in, specifically track numbers. Without track numbers to organize by the only way it can order them is alphabetically. File names are pretty irrelevant in iTunes.

2) You aren't providing much detail in terms of what "can't edit" means. Like it resets when you close and re-open iTunes, or you get a message they can't be changed? If it's the second you probably have the files set as Read Only. In Windows, select the folders, right-click, click on Properties, and make sure Read Only is unchecked.

EC posted:

So I use iTunes to manage music on my iPhone. I have it set to sync the entire library, but only checked songs. When I'm actually playing music through iTunes itself, though, it skips unchecked songs. Is there any way to disable that?

The main function of unchecking a song is to tell iTunes to skip it. I use a playlist titled For iPod and keep my songs I want synced there. Set that up, then create a Smart Playlist where "Match Only Checked Songs" is checked, then copy the songs from the smart playlist to your For iPod list. Then go back to the main Music screen, select everything, hold Ctrl and click the check box once or twice so all songs are checked. Finally, go into your music settings when you connect your iPhone and set it to synch For iPod and any other playlists you want.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

If I store my library on a NAS machine and share it with a MacBook and desktop PC can I still sync my iPod like normal? Or should I use simlinks or something?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Anmitzcuaca posted:

If I store my library on a NAS machine and share it with a MacBook and desktop PC can I still sync my iPod like normal? Or should I use simlinks or something?

Share the files or the actual library file? Sharing a library file can get dangerous and really annoying.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Anmitzcuaca posted:

you can't move the ipod from one machine to another in that case because the library xml doesn't contain synced device data.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

EC posted:

not that ive figured out, however just put the songs you want in a single playlist and have the iphone sync everything on that playlist and nothing more, the disadvantage being that it will not sync any other playlist.

you can potentially put "undesirable" songs in a playlist and just uncheck/check them in mass before and after every sync.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

modig posted:

As far as I can tell from the internet, iTunes doesn't allow this? Really? What about if I wipe my hard drive for some reason and want to redownload? I didn't even consider that they wouldn't allow this, since Steam makes it so easy for games.

Does Amazon Video on Demand allow this?

itunes drm'd video files are actually just files, you can move them like normal files to the other computer (drag n drop out, drag n drop in) but on the new computer you have to log yourself in to play the file. you can have up to 5 computers logged in at once.

edit: you can't redownload files once the first download has completed.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

I'm getting ready to go on vacation, and I want to start syncing my iPhone to my netbook for the next 10 days or so, so that I can still download apps and poo poo. (Windows 7 Ultimate 64 to Windows 7 Ultimate 32) How would I make this happen? I understand I'd need to copy the iTunes folder from one computer to the other, is everything else in C:\Users\kthomas\<userid>\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes ? Any other caveats? Thanks.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!

EC posted:

Why would you want to keep songs that you don't want to play with your iPhone or on iTunes? Why not just delete them?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Cacahuate posted:

Why would you want to keep songs that you don't want to play with your iPhone or on iTunes? Why not just delete them?

Because he doesn't want them on his iPhone but he does want them in his iTunes to play on his computer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Cacahuate posted:

There's a lot of music that I'd like to listen to at my computer that I don't necessarily want on my iPhone 24/7.

It seems like I have to go the playlist route, which I can do. It's weird how iTunes assumes you have enough space on your device for your entire music collection, though.