Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Me too. It was the last WCW PPV I ever paid for. I was loving FURIOUS.

Funny. I thought you would be livid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Sotar posted:

Funny. I thought you would be livid.

WILL YOU STOP?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

LividLiquid posted:

Me too. It was the last WCW PPV I ever paid for. I was loving FURIOUS.

Is somebody willing to give a rundown of the show to explain why it was so bad?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Wazzu posted:

Is somebody willing to give a rundown of the show to explain why it was so bad?

judy bagwell on a pole match

e: this was one of the less offending matches

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

dusty udder smoker posted:

judy bagwell on a pole match

e: this was one of the less offending matches

Apparenly on a forklift, actually. But some things don't sound.....too bad. Plus bad show reviews are normally quite amusing.

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Knowing WCW they probably paid Judy Bagwell $50k per appearance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

If you think anything on those PPVs holds a candle to the worst of New Blood Rising, you're drunk.

I think King of the Ring 99 and Fall Brawl 98 come very close or maybe fall below NBR's depths. NBR at least ends with a decent match and begins with a spot fest even if it was stupidly overbooked. I'm not sure if those shows insult the fan's intelligence the way NBR does though. But Fall Brawl does pretty much kill WCW's best gimmick match dead which is saying something.

Honestly, I think Fall Brawl 98 would be perfect for the March Sunday Nitro.

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Wazzu posted:

Apparenly on a forklift, actually. But some things don't sound.....too bad. Plus bad show reviews are normally quite amusing.

It was featured here not too long ago as counter-programming to a TNA PPV. But, it's bad. Every match is one clusterfuck after another. The opening match involves two separate items in a ladder match that one or the other team must obtain: a gold record and a recording contract. Three Count wants their gold record, the Jung Dragons want a recording contract. Not for them, we're reminded, but so 3 Count doesn't get it. Mid-match, the gold record is obtained by the Jung Dragons, which Tank Abbot steals, which SHOULD end the match, but we're now told both items must be taken down. It makes no loving sense, which describes a majority of the matches on the card.

The bigger highlights:

- Kanyon vs. Buff Bagwell with his mother on a pole/forklift. Kanyon has DDP's music, for some reason. David Arquette has a run-in, tries to interfere, fails. Eats a Blockbuster and a Kanyon Cutter for his troubles.

- A Four Corners match for the tag titles that has the Filthy Animals as guest timekeepers or referees or whatever. There's poo poo going on everywhere, along with this angle with the Filthy Animals. It's complicated, and doesn't really DO anything.

- PLUS, they do another guest ref bit with Jacques Rougeau in a match between Lance Storm and Mike Awesome. Rougeau keeps changing the rules to screw over Awesome (despite being in Vancouver). A clean win for Storm would have been perfectly fine with this crowd and the US crowd.

- Goldberg leaves mid-match during his Triple Threat and it's sold like it's real, leaving the announcers to ask if Scott Steiner and Nash are going to improvise the finish. It's stupid Russo kayfabe poo poo that an average fan wouldn't a) get or b) care why it's happening.

The reason the PPV sucks so badly is you're sitting there cringing, trying to figure out exactly WHY these booking decisions were made. The logic never arrives, but logic for doing the exact OPPOSITE of these matches arrives in short order, making it infuriating to watch.

AKA Driver fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 14, 2010

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

I think King of the Ring 99 and Fall Brawl 98 come very close or maybe fall below NBR's depths. NBR at least ends with a decent match and begins with a spot fest even if it was stupidly overbooked. I'm not sure if those shows insult the fan's intelligence the way NBR does though. But Fall Brawl does pretty much kill WCW's best gimmick match dead which is saying something.

Honestly, I think Fall Brawl 98 would be perfect for the March Sunday Nitro.
Fall Brawl 98 was an awesome show. No. I'm not being sarcastic or trolling.

Reven Vs. Saturn is one of the best matches I've ever seen and the rest of the show sand Wargames match, which was good for marks, was just fine.

Wazzu posted:

We, as a forum, have never needed Jerusalem more.

Dude. This is asking a lot, but if you've got one more "It's really very simple..." in you, I would love to hear it for New Blood Rising.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

Dude. This is asking a lot, but if you've got one more "It's really very simple..." in you, I would love to hear it for New Blood Rising.

Well it really IS very simple:

In a professional wrestling match, a boy band fought a trio of Asians (one of whom was a Southern Redneck) for possession of a gold record and a recording contract, because without the recording contract the boy band would never get to sing a song and get a gold record like the one they got when they got it in the match before they got the record contract. Also Jim the Anvil Neidhart's lookalike decoy got drunk and wandered out to the ring and the commentators had to desperately cover it up by making up a story about a washed up fighter's deeply repressed homosexual lust.

The Great Muta showed up in WCW in the year 2000, wasn't hit by a steel chair, and lost a match to the Commissioner of WCW Ernest Miller, whose feet had been blessed by James Brown, gaining them the very specific power of knocking out The Great Muta. The match between Muta and Miller is best remembered for the crowd chanting a WWF catchphrase.

An elderly woman was put on a forklift and ridden out to the ring to a Nirvana theme-tune ripoff used by the wrong wrestler who was also in lust with the elderly woman. The steroid-popping freak son of this woman then came out and beat up a celebrity guest, and danced rather than save her from her precarious position tied to the forklift. To win the match you needed to get the elderly woman off of the "pole", also you could win by pinning your opponent or making them submit. But count-outs were right out.... maybe.

Two big dumb guys who can't wrestle beat three other teams to win the right to have another match for their belts later that same night - another team came down and got involved in the match as referees because they had referee shirts except for the guy who counted the pinfall who wasn't wearing a referee shirt but once someone slaps the canvas three times that's that buddy. The team that got involved was not the team that would be fighting the two dumb guys later that night.

A skinny meth-addict and the fat assistant manager of a department store stumbled out to the ring during a bondage session, both so high and drunk that they didn't realize they'd ended up in the middle of a Pay Per View.

A woman with giant fake tits fought a woman without giant fake tits in a big pool of mud and then one of them got pregnant from the sperm in the mud and started to miscarry because of the South's miscegenation laws.

Someone opened a time vortex to a brief 6 week period in 1974 when KISS was popular and signed a contract to unleash a Demon into WCW, perhaps for the promise of KISS merchandising rights in return. Luckily for WCW, a fat Samoan screamed at a startled Crow, thus summoning Sting from the rafters to vanquish the Demon to Hell.... which just so happened to be a WCW PPV called New Blood Rising.

In Canada the Canadian hero Lance Storm who loves Canada and is loved by Canadians and had got to where he had by being an exceptional wrestler who backed up his claims of greatness by beating his opponents in straight up matches proceeded to recklessly cheat as he was beaten again and again easily by his American opponent. The crowd cheered for bad guy Storm doing bad guy things while the commentators bitterly cursed his actions and hammered on him for being such a bad, horrible man that nobody liked.

Bret Hart showed up to pick up his back-pay and accidentally ended up on camera.

The two big dumb guys who can't wrestle and had beat three other teams to win the right to have another match for their belts later that same night after interference from another team that wasn't on their side and wasn't going to be fighting them later that night.... lost their match to the team of Vampiro and the Great Muta. Having achieved what he set out to do when he returned to WCW, Muta was able to return to Japan and reinvigorate his career thanks to the imparted magic of James Brown transferred from Miller's foot to his face.

Goldberg, Kevin Nash and Steiner had a match but the unprofessional Goldberg refused to :airquote:do the job:airquote: and :airquote:went into business for himself:airquote: and left the match which wasn't :airquote:on the commentator's rundown:airquote: so Nash and Steiner had to :airquote:improvise a finish to the match:airquote: themselves.

Everybody hoped Booker T's bad knee was okay. Turns out it was. He did a Spinarooni and knocked out the referee due to uncontrollable centrifugal force! The crowd feared Jarrett might win, and fearing the idea of a blond primadonna convinced of his own glory forcing himself to the top of the company and holding onto it with a deathgrip, they cheered for the antithesis of all those things by chanting for Hulk Hogan. This can be explained by the fact that it was a Canadian crowd, and thus their patriotism for America got the better of them. A sniper in the upper tier started shooting referees so the crowd threw garbage at the ring to act as chaff and stave off his aim. Booker retained his belt.

What's so difficult to understand about any of that?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I love you, Jerusalem.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

You're a wonderful man, jerusalem.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

LividLiquid posted:

Fall Brawl 98 was an awesome show. No. I'm not being sarcastic or trolling.

Reven Vs. Saturn is one of the best matches I've ever seen and the rest of the show sand Wargames match, which was good for marks, was just fine.

Goldberg vs DDP was really good too*

*if your cable company actually let you watch it

Edit - wait that was the next month at Halloween Havoc, nevermind

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I still think GAB91 was worse than New Blood Rising.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

To: Jerusalem

Re: It's simple.

:golfclap:

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
What about the great commentary from Konnan during that 4 way tag match?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, dear God, I just turned this on to discover Tank Abbott singing.

I ... my Lord. What have I done?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Oh, dear God, I just turned this on to discover Tank Abbott singing.

I ... my Lord. What have I done?

They told you to get up on your feet.
They told you to put your hands together.
You failed to comply.
This is their punishment.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I was listening to music on shuffle in iTunes and it went to DDP and Zorak singing a song called Evil is only skin deep. This may be the greatest thing WCW never promoted.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I will say this much for WCW: 3 Count was a loving perfect name for a wrestling boy band.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

AKA Driver posted:

- Kanyon vs. Buff Bagwell with his mother on a pole/forklift. Kanyon has DDP's music, for some reason. David Arquette has a run-in, tries to interfere, fails. Eats a Blockbuster and a Kanyon Cutter for his troubles.

Tp be fair, Positively Kanyon was an awesome gimmick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baCK0DXwkZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blAHjuUhADE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiM8cT7s0VY&feature=related

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 15, 2010

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.
I just can't figure out why Abbott cut holes out the 2 holes in his shirt so his man nipples were showing.

I laughed during the Steiner/Nash match when Midajah runs in and they mention her getting powerbombed by Nash and Hudson says "At least she goes up for a powerbomb!"

I also wonder if Vampiro ever introduced Muta to the life changing music and message of ICP...

Dragging Iron Feet
Nov 10, 2007

by T. Finn

UndergroundHero posted:

I just can't figure out why Abbott cut holes out the 2 holes in his shirt so his man nipples were showing.

I laughed during the Steiner/Nash match when Midajah runs in and they mention her getting powerbombed by Nash and Hudson says "At least she goes up for a powerbomb!"

I also wonder if Vampiro ever introduced Muta to the life changing music and message of ICP...
No need to when he was in the Dark Carnival with Vampiro & ICP. That's right, WCW brought back Japanese wrestling legend (and I think unofficial one time world champion) The Great Muta and put him in a stable with the Insane Clown Posse.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

No need to when he was in the Dark Carnival with Vampiro & ICP. That's right, WCW brought back Japanese wrestling legend (and I think unofficial one time world champion) The Great Muta and put him in a stable with the Insane Clown Posse.

Maybe he was just down with the clown.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Yeah, he was in the dark carnival, but can you imagine Vampiro sitting backstage, putting headphones on Muta and cranking a CD of ICP?

Muta looks confused while Vampiro slowly moves his head to some grove, telling Muta "This poo poo is the real poo poo."

POOR MANS HROLF
Apr 9, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

the whole thing was hilarious and kanyon, as usual, had zero heat. at one point he was reading fake excerpts from DDP's book about a conversation between ddp and booker t. he just kept saying "bro" repeatedly for like five minutes while the crowd remained completely silent. it was incredible.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

UndergroundHero posted:

Yeah, he was in the dark carnival, but can you imagine Vampiro sitting backstage, putting headphones on Muta and cranking a CD of ICP?

Muta looks confused while Vampiro slowly moves his head to some grove, telling Muta "This poo poo is the real poo poo."

Raven was in that stable too, so they probably both had major contact highs from just being around him at that point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

Raven was in that stable too, so they probably both had major contact highs from just being around him at that point.

Raven was long gone from WCW at this point. The stable you are thinking of is the short lived "Dead Pool."

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Oh god, I'm getting flashbacks to Raven's rap debut.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=47658255

lol but fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 17, 2010

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space

POOR MANS HROLF posted:

the whole thing was hilarious and kanyon, as usual, had zero heat. at one point he was reading fake excerpts from DDP's book about a conversation between ddp and booker t. he just kept saying "bro" repeatedly for like five minutes while the crowd remained completely silent. it was incredible.

I remember a brief flash of this, I think. The line was "...bro, bro... I couldnt believe my ears!"

Never understood how Kanyon didnt become a star. Great charisma, good size, took bumps, sold well, had innovative moves.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Never understood how Kanyon didnt become a star. Great charisma, good size, took bumps, sold well, had innovative moves.

Was gay.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Everybody was better than him.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

While we're discussing Kanyon...

I'm so glad I didn't cancel my myspace account.

EDIT: To explain his last comment, I think my display name was "better looking than your boyfriend" at that point in time. Apparently it was true sometimes.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Raven was long gone from WCW at this point. The stable you are thinking of is the short lived "Dead Pool."

My point still stands.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Can anybody explain the politics behind Nash being made head booker in late 1998, and the supposed "deal" between Nash and Hogan in the Fingerpoke of Doom debacle?

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Save Russian Jews posted:

While we're discussing Kanyon...

I'm so glad I didn't cancel my myspace account.

EDIT: To explain his last comment, I think my display name was "better looking than your boyfriend" at that point in time. Apparently it was true sometimes.

you betta than kanyon

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Disharmony posted:

Can anybody explain the politics behind Nash being made head booker in late 1998, and the supposed "deal" between Nash and Hogan in the Fingerpoke of Doom debacle?

Hogan and Nash had been bickering behind the scenes over the booking of the shows. This was a compromise that reunited a divided NWO, put the title back on Hogan, while at the same time not making Nash look weak or Hogan look particularly strong. I'm probably missing some details but I think that's the gist of it.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

TL posted:

Hogan and Nash had been bickering behind the scenes over the booking of the shows. This was a compromise that reunited a divided NWO, put the title back on Hogan, while at the same time not making Nash look weak or Hogan look particularly strong. I'm probably missing some details but I think that's the gist of it.

I remember some dirtsheet saying Hogan was supposed to beat Goldberg to defeat the streak which Nash instead did, so maybe that was also apart of the compromise. Nash gets the win and Hogan gets the title.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ktik posted:

I remember some dirtsheet saying Hogan was supposed to beat Goldberg to defeat the streak which Nash instead did, so maybe that was also apart of the compromise. Nash gets the win and Hogan gets the title.

Could Hogan be any lazier???

(meeting)
Hogan: I want my title back from that spoon Goldberg!

Bischoff: Well, wait until after Starrcade. Its the biggest show of the year and I dont think its smart to have our biggest face lose at the biggest show to a hated heel.

Hogan: Creative control, brother!

Bischoff: Dammit. Fine. You win the belt back at Starrcade. Or whenever you want, I guess. gently caress it. Just try and have a good long match to entertain the fans.

Hogan: That doesn't work for me, Jack! Wrestlings hard and I have no interest in a long hard match with that tool!

Bischoff: Jesus Christ. So, you want the belt, but you dont want to have a hard match? You just somehow want Goldberg to lose the belt and you gain it, but without you wrestling any match?

Hogan: Make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

this thread just reminds me of the astounding waste of potential that was the Invasion. The whole thing felt doomed from the start after they began with Booker T defending the heavyweight title against Buff Bagwell of all people.

Does anyone think that WWF owning WCW could have worked out better (for example if they'd had them as genuinely their own promotion rather than the weak bad guys led by the McMahon kids), or was there never any real chance of it not sucking?