Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Has anyone had any experience with Flyin' Miata's stuff in general or this midpipe / catalytic converter in specific?

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4503&parentid=0&stocknumber=06-58100

My '99 threw a CEL today, pulled the code P0420 off, which indicates the catalytic converter. Mazda wants $1000 for an OEM one, I figure that a Flyin' Miata high-flow for $330 should work just fine. I'm not in California, so CARB legality doesn't matter.

Edit: After reading more about what this code means, it could just be a bad O2 sensor. Do O2 sensors fail often on Miatas? Its at 140K miles, I would expect a cat to go bad around this time.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Everything from FM is typically very expensive.

If it is the cat then I would just go with a Magnaflow replacement and save some serious money. Generally no aftermarket cat is going to last as long as the OEM one but when you can pick them up this cheap I don't think it really matters. My father bought one to replace the failed OEM one on his old 97M and had no issues with installation or Massachusetts emissions, it also added a little bit more sound (in a good way).

http://www.google.com/products?q=magnaflow+miata+catalytic+1999&hl=en&scoring=p

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Well it depends, his 99 could have 2 cats and if he has the precat in the manifold and it went bad, then you can't just weld in a replacement.

Do you know if you have CA emissions on it? I've read that plenty of 99's not in California got the 2 cat bullshit.

Personally I'm in CA and I'm going to pull my precat manifold and downpipe and mount up the $100 Raceland headers. The main cat will be fine for emissions purposes and if the smog guy complains I'll just swap the manifold back for a day.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

destructo posted:

You could always pull em off, mask and spray silver if you wanted. No harm there.. although a bit anal IMO.

I've done it. Black BBQ paint though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

aventari posted:

Do you know if you have CA emissions on it? I've read that plenty of 99's not in California got the 2 cat bullshit.

I had been assuming that as a car that was sold new in Texas, I wouldn't have this. I guess I had better check, that would make everything harder. It looks like the front cat only has an available Mazda OEM replacement. This 2 cat thing could also make it a little harder to diagnose.

I would much prefer to have some cheap, shady exhaust shop weld in a new cheapo cat if that is an option. I had no idea that aftermarket cats were that cheap, I already thought the FM thing was cheap because it cost 30% of what an OEM one does.

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.

destructo posted:

You could always pull em off, mask and spray silver if you wanted. No harm there.. although a bit anal IMO.

Could I spray the rotors with whinoliner?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

pacheco posted:

Could I spray the rotors with whinoliner?
High temp paint would be best, I don't know anything about that stuff.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Oh hey, you guys might be interested in this Flyin' Miata group buy for H4 E-code conversions:
http://www.flyinmiata.com/groupbuy/
http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=28-17100

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
So I rebuilt my shifter today with new boots and bushings and put some MT90 in the turret and holy poo poo what a difference that makes. I now see why everyone goes gaga over the Miata's shifter. Now I can't wait until I get my new brakes and throw my summer wheels and tires back on.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hog Obituary posted:

Oh hey, you guys might be interested in this Flyin' Miata group buy for H4 E-code conversions:

Already on the list. :) My lights are terrible currently.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

DreamOn13 posted:

Already on the list. :) My lights are terrible currently.

I think I'm going to hop on this too. I'm tired of replacing Silvania Silverstars every year.

What's the difference between these and the Hella Ecodes?

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004
Went to bleed the clutch today and on the first go the clutch went down and refused to build up pressure again. :( Time for a new slave cylinder.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Ziploc posted:

I think I'm going to hop on this too. I'm tired of replacing Silvania Silverstars every year.

I think the general consensus is Bosch < Hella < Cibie with slight differences in light placement and how evenly it is spread out. However all of these are so far superior to the sealed beam lights that you really won't be disappointed no matter which one you get.

If you decide to get separate bulbs these were recommended to me by Daniel Stern Lighting, I've had them in my Hellas going on a year now and they are what you want for a 55/60w bulb.

http://store.candlepower.com/90h4hbxtpo.html

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Wayside Bazaar posted:

So I rebuilt my shifter today with new boots and bushings and put some MT90 in the turret and holy poo poo what a difference that makes. I now see why everyone goes gaga over the Miata's shifter. Now I can't wait until I get my new brakes and throw my summer wheels and tires back on.

Is turret oil different from general transmission fluid?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

The Third Man posted:

Is turret oil different from general transmission fluid?

Same thing.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I guess it's as good a time as any to post a picture of my STO.

It snowed pretty heavily here in Chicago a few days ago, and I was driving to work on a side street, alone, and kept trying to slide around. I overdid it once, over-correcting and ending up doing a 180°. After that I played it nice for the rest of the drive. :shobon:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ziploc posted:

Yeaaaaaaah, me too. I guess this will motivate me to aim the lights, too.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Krakkles posted:

Yeaaaaaaah, me too. I guess this will motivate me to aim the lights, too.

I went to Phillips HIDs, but I think most of AI will agree this makes me a huge rear end in a top hat. They are aimed properly at least.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Suniikaa posted:

Same thing.

To be clear: The fluid is the same thing. However, in the Miata 5-speed, the turret does not get oil replenished by the main gear oil in the transmission case, so it eventually dries up and you need to refill it once in a while.

velocityJE
Jul 11, 2001

~ LOVE FOREVER ~

Blackdawgg posted:

Went to bleed the clutch today and on the first go the clutch went down and refused to build up pressure again. :( Time for a new slave cylinder.
Happened to me right after I bought mine. Real easy job, luckily.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Welp, 2000 miles on the odo, 2 payments under my belt and I hit a pothole last night. Bent both passenger side rims but didn't do any other damage. Right at $400 to repair the two rims, rebalance and realign. At least they're going to polish off my curb scrape from trying to parallel park earlier in the month.

gently caress winter. gently caress Snow. gently caress Potholes.

Blackdawgg
May 8, 2004

velocityJE posted:

Happened to me right after I bought mine. Real easy job, luckily.

Yeah looks it. I just ordered the part from autozone. Pissed me off that they didn't stock the rebuild kit. You'd think a kit that costs so little and is compatible with every manual mazda they would stock. Parts stores are so worthless.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

Welp, 2000 miles on the odo, 2 payments under my belt and I hit a pothole last night. Bent both passenger side rims but didn't do any other damage. Right at $400 to repair the two rims, rebalance and realign. At least they're going to polish off my curb scrape from trying to parallel park earlier in the month.

gently caress winter. gently caress Snow. gently caress Potholes.

Wow, I've hit potholes (not terrible ones) all the time and never bent a rim. The only time I bent one was [in a previous car] when I actually slid into a curb in the Winter.

But yeah, seriously, gently caress Winter. I can't wait 'till mid-March; top goes off, wheels get swapped. :)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Atomizer posted:

Wow, I've hit potholes (not terrible ones) all the time and never bent a rim. The only time I bent one was [in a previous car] when I actually slid into a curb in the Winter.

But yeah, seriously, gently caress Winter. I can't wait 'till mid-March; top goes off, wheels get swapped. :)

I've never bent one before either. I was on an unfamiliar road at night and was going around a left corner and hit it going about 40. The impact sounded horrible but the car didn't seem to drive any differently until I got back on the freeway. Starting at about 45 there was a vibration that wasn't there before. I checked the tire pressure and they were all at 30 psi.

I took it into the local tire shop first thing this morning, and they confirmed I had slightly bent the inside of both passenger side rims. The right front tire was about 10 degrees out of alignment (which isn't much) and both were out of balance. They referred me to a local shop that does rim repairs, and went ahead and realigned it and were able to rebalance the tires, but said I would probably still feel a little vibration. And sure enough, there is just a little vibration at highway speeds.

I'm just glad they can be repaired...it was going to be over $1500 to replace the two rims, balance and align. Of course I would have put in an insurance claim and been out $500. Calling the rim shop in the morning to see when they can work me in.

I never would have guessed '09 MX-5 wheels would be $695/each to replace, but I also didn't realize that they were uber-lightweight either. I think the tire guy said 15 lbs each.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 15, 2010

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

I never would have guessed '09 MX-5 wheels would be $695/each to replace, but I also didn't realize that they were uber-lightweight either. I think the tire guy said 15 lbs each.
Buying factory wheels is a ripoff. I bent my wheels after spinning and going over a curb, and replaced them with RPF-1s.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

That's retarded expensive, 15lb isn't that light either for a 16x6.5 wheel either.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mine are actually 17x7

Talk about retarded expensive, try replacing the BBS wheels that one of the NA special editions had...they run about $1200 each.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
http://949racing.com/6ULR-wheels.aspx

17x9s and 17lbs a pop. :whatup:

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

Phone posted:

http://949racing.com/6ULR-wheels.aspx

17x9s and 17lbs a pop. :whatup:

Ffffresh. 2 inches wider than stock but the stockers tuck in a bit. Those will be sweet.

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
uh oh spaghettio

You might look at my facial expression and interpret as a look of disgust, but in fact it is actually the expression your face makes when you drop $1000 getting ready for a track day and your oil control rings gently caress out on the second lap of the day.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Which rollbar is that? It could be the angle but it looks a bit taller than most.

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
It's a custom made halfcage built to Motorsport New Zealand homologation specs.

yes, that does mean that my miata has 'homo papers'. You are correct, it's slightly taller than most, but it still fits under the soft top.

edit: another pic from the day, i'm not short, the seat is just mounted low!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Blackdawgg posted:

Yeah looks it. I just ordered the part from autozone. Pissed me off that they didn't stock the rebuild kit. You'd think a kit that costs so little and is compatible with every manual mazda they would stock. Parts stores are so worthless.

When I searched, I think the rebuild kit was all of $2 less than the remanned cylinder.

The remanned cylinder has a lifetime warranty, the kit doesn't.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

DreamOn13 posted:

For anybody still on stock wheels and in the market for some Azenis, they're insanely cheap right now. I just got quoted $222 shipped from discounttiredirect.com (they price matched vulcantire.com and then beat it by almost $10) and there's an additional $80 rebate going on now. It's like $140 shipped for 4 new tires all said and done.

There's also a $50 "Buy it with our CC" discount too. $90 for a set of four? Jesus.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I still have to claim my rebate, but I just put on a set of Azenis for 320 shipped and installed - 80. So 240 for 4 new tires. Still jonesin' for the new Star Specs that just came out.

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.
OK, who drives the white NA with a red hardtop in Washington? I saw one with the license plate "THEBEES" getting onto the freeway, 405 south around exit 26.

That license plate has to be a goon's!

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?

pacheco posted:

OK, who drives the white NA with a red hardtop in Washington? I saw one with the license plate "THEBEES" getting onto the freeway, 405 south around exit 26.

That license plate has to be a goon's!

it could be (bad)phoenetic spelling of 'phoebes'.

pacheco
May 2, 2005

Always bet on Duke.

poisoned pie posted:

it could be (bad)phoenetic spelling of 'phoebes'.

This mofo looked like a goon, I think the miata had roll bars too. Maybe he's not Automotically Insane?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Hog Obituary posted:

Thanks for this, I've been bitching about my headlights a lot lately. That's just a touch more than a pair of silverstars and will likely provide much better light.

How the gently caress does this invoice poo poo read?

Does
code:
 Item                                         Qty      Qty      Qty  Expected
 Number    Description                        Ord.     Shp.     Bck.    By
---------- ------------------------------ -------- -------- -------- --------
28-17100   Bosch H4 headlight KIT, 1990-9     1.00     0.00     1.00

42-76450   Group Buy discount                 1.00     1.00     0.00
mean they are on back-order? It'd be nice if they'd loving say so on the page.

Or at least list when they expect some more in, or if they don't.

If they hosed this poo poo up, is there another place to buy the same kind of thing?

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I pick up my car in the morning. My wallet is $600 lighter after a 3 days in a rental car, two repaired wheels, balancing and realigning. And it's supposed to be 50 degrees. The top is going down.