Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Well there's InfraRecorder which is open source aka not shareware. Does everything I ever wanted from a burning app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Essobie posted:

The problem with this is that then you have the little arrow saying that you have hidden icons. What I'd like (and I assume raezr wants as well) is for icons in that area to only be there when they have something to say and not be in a "click here to see all your hidden icons" button there instead.

They aren't really all that hidden if there's a button visible that lets you see them. That button makes me want to click it to see what other bullshit some app has tried to install and run in the background... but mostly it's just the Action Center. Mocking me.

So I have it show me all the icons all the time, and try to ignore the wasted space of Networking and Action Center and Volume Control. :\

The arrow doesn't bug me but I do see what you're saying. At least you can get rid of icons that you never use (like Networking and Volume Control). Click "Turn system icons on or off" from that same icon customization screen and reclaim some wasted space.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cheesus posted:

If there's a silver lining, it's that the latest version of the Nero suite allows you to just install Nero Burning ROM and not the rest of the bloated suite.

All versions of Nero let you do that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Keito posted:

Well there's InfraRecorder which is open source aka not shareware. Does everything I ever wanted from a burning app.
CDBurner XP is a good app, free and looks a little like the old Roxio burner software.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
The key to using ImgBurn if you're not just reading or writing images is to create the structure of the disc you want to burn in a temporary folder outside of the program, then just point ImgBurn to that folder and hit go.

Granted, it doesn't have the best UI in the world but it's free and stable. And, really, if you want to burn files rather than images then what's wrong with the functionality built into Windows?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is there anywhere I can find some new themes? I just googled it but its mostly bullshit spam sites.

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

BITCH, I'D RATHER KEEP MY PTSD THAN HAVE YOUR BITCH ASS TRY TO HELP

DUNSON'D
I recently upgraded my Acer Aspire 1410 (11.6") to Windows 7 Home Premium x32 from Vista. I only did the upgrade at first, but it was loving up and so I formatted and did a fresh install. I'm not great with computers so I'm not sure why, but I'm having a few big problems.

1. I can't come out of hibernate. It'll bluescreen, or stay black, or just about anything other than resume. I'll usually always have to do a force restart, and it'll ask if I want to wipe my restoration data. If I select no, it'll try to resume and repeat the process. If I say yes, it starts normally.

2. It takes FOREVER to start up. Several minutes stuck on the "Starting Windows..." screen. I use this computer in class a lot, so this is a huge pain in my rear end. If hibernate worked, I wouldn't care.

3. Whenever I restart, my cursors are changed back to default. I don't really care, but I'm not sure if this is indicative of other problems.

4. My battery drains a lot faster than it did on Vista. Not a huge problem as it still lasts a good while, but I was wondering how to minimize this.

Thanks for any advice I may get. I'm getting ready to throw Vista back on. :(

EDIT: My start up and hibernate problems seem to be fixed. I needed to get the BIOS 3303, whatever than means. Anyway, thanks so much, Dion. You saved my day! :3:

Megalodon fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 15, 2010

MrSlayer
Nov 27, 2007
you are now manually breathing
I'm still surviving on the RC, and I'll be jumping to full retail either this week or the next to avoid the bi-hourly shutdowns. I'm currently sitting on 2GB of RAM using the 32-bit RC, and it's around £50 for an extra 2GB right now. Is the performance boost from the 64-bit version only noticeable on x64 programs, or will it be so noticeable that it's actually worth the extra £50 on top of the £100 windows box? Or will the 64-bit version be OK with just the 2GB?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

MrSlayer posted:

Is the performance boost from the 64-bit version only noticeable on x64 programs, or will it be so noticeable that it's actually worth the extra £50 on top of the £100 windows box? Or will the 64-bit version be OK with just the 2GB?

There really isn't a performance boost vs the 32 bit, the main thing is being able to use more memory. Which at just 2gb, I don't see the point.

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."
I would use the 64-bit version anyway and throw in more RAM later if you feel like it. I'm running x64 on my 2GB system just so I don't have to reinstall everything if I do pick up another 2GB.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fishmech posted:

All versions of Nero let you do that.

Wrong. Version 7 doesn't even give you an option not to install Scout.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

LooseChanj posted:

There really isn't a performance boost vs the 32 bit, the main thing is being able to use more memory. Which at just 2gb, I don't see the point.

Things like encryption and encoding can see a performance boost on 64bit even with less than 4 gigs of ram.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mobn posted:

Wrong. Version 7 doesn't even give you an option not to install Scout.

You're crazy or were using an OEM version. I've had Nero 7 and never had "Scout".

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

WTFBEES posted:

The arrow doesn't bug me but I do see what you're saying. At least you can get rid of icons that you never use (like Networking and Volume Control). Click "Turn system icons on or off" from that same icon customization screen and reclaim some wasted space.

Ah thanks... I just re-installed a "clean" image of my initial Windows 7 install this weekend and forgot that option was there. I'm actually happy with this option since I'd rather show ALL icons and then turn all the system icons off. This is how I am pretty sure I had it before the re-install and just forgot about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is there any way that I make Windows 7 keep a drive uh... accessed I guess?

I have a second hard drive on my computer where I keep all my work stuff and some other things I use fairly often, but no executables. So if I don't use it for a bit it stops, and the wait for it to get going again is kind of annoying each time.

I'm guessing that just installing AIM or some other program that's always running would work?

IEatBabies
Sep 17, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I have a second hard drive on my computer where I keep all my work stuff and some other things I use fairly often, but no executables. So if I don't use it for a bit it stops, and the wait for it to get going again is kind of annoying each time.

I'm guessing that just installing AIM or some other program that's always running would work?

Look at the power options in the control panel.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Aphrodite posted:

Turning off power control is the best idea, if you don't want to turn it all off you can go into the drive's hardware properties.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aphrodite posted:

I run progress quest off my external to keep it going. It writes out backup saves every 3 minutes or so.

I'm level 300 by now from this...

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Casao posted:

Things like encryption and encoding can see a performance boost on 64bit even with less than 4 gigs of ram.
Probably more important to most people is file de/compression. It not's a whole lot of a boost (5%?), but it's measurable and very nice on larger archive jobs.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
I formatted a HDD for FAT32 just now, copied files over and played them on my PS3. Brought it back to my PC and in a moment of stupidity, tried plugging it back in without turning my machine on.

Got a black screen on my monitor and fan blowing at full speed. Rebooted and got a BSOD, tried without the fat32 HDD and it works fine.

Now, the HDD works fine, I can see it in safe mode and I can still play everything on it on the PS3, it's only when I try and boot windows normally do I get the BSOD. Any ideas?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I assume it's IDE?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
The drive is SATA 2. I'm using AHC1 mode if that matters. I tried switching to IDE but I still get a BSOD. Tried automatic startup repair and a different sata port, no dice. Interestingly, on safe mode with networking it says 'searching for preconfigured drive'...

The bsod code is 0x0...116, if that helps.

EDIT: Formatted it and all is well. Something must have been messed with when I attempted to plug it in.

Copied some things to it , tried it in the enclosure (worked fine), plugged it back into my PC and bam, BSOD. PC was off this time when I plugged in/out.

vvvvvv

No copy of windows on the drive and I'm sure it was booting off the correct HDD. Safe mode worked fine, it even saw the drive.

I should probably clarify just in case, whenever I say plugging it into my computer, I mean via sata data/power cable, not USB via the enclosure.

Just tried the same thing again (copying files, moving drive to enclosure, using it, moving drive back) but this time I was careful; swtiching off PSU, waiting 20 seconds after powering off before unplugging the HDD, and no BSOD. Guess I just have to be careful.

4 Day Weekend fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 15, 2010

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

most likely it was trying to boot off the portable drive and the portable drive had the remnants of a hosed up Windows install on it?

Gentle Marmot
Mar 25, 2005
like the sugar
Ive got a simple question. There is a program that needs to be run as admin but I dont want to give another user admin privileges but I want him to be able to run this program without having to bug me about putting in the PW. Is it possible to just set the privileges for this one program for this user?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Gentle Marmot posted:

Ive got a simple question. There is a program that needs to be run as admin but I dont want to give another user admin privileges but I want him to be able to run this program without having to bug me about putting in the PW. Is it possible to just set the privileges for this one program for this user?

You could try giving him ownership of the location the program runs from (probably in C:\Program Files\programname), but that could cause other issues, potentially.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Casao posted:

Turning off power control is the best idea, if you don't want to turn it all off you can go into the drive's hardware properties.
Where are the power options specific to the device located? Tried Device Manager and the Hardware tab in the drive Properties but don't see any option for power management.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Where are the power options specific to the device located? Tried Device Manager and the Hardware tab in the drive Properties but don't see any option for power management.

I'm not sure about doing it for a specific disk (Casao? You know anything about that?) but you can do it for all disks here:

Search for power in the start menu, click "Change plan settings" for the plan you want to edit and then click "Change advanced power settings".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm rebuilding my computer with Windows 7 and am wondering if it is worth manually installing Nvidia nForce motherboard drivers or if the ones that already come with Windows 7 are fine. Some of the stuff that comes with the Nvdia drivers seems useless.

Antigen v2.0
May 16, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Bleak Gremlin

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm rebuilding my computer with Windows 7 and am wondering if it is worth manually installing Nvidia nForce motherboard drivers or if the ones that already come with Windows 7 are fine. Some of the stuff that comes with the Nvdia drivers seems useless.

You will want to install the Nvidia drivers, also the nvidia control panel isn't at all bloated anymore it's pretty useful.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I vote no to the motherboard drivers specifically. Videocard drivers, yes. Motherboards that predate the release of Win7, not unless you have issues.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah it is a 680i SLI from 07. The drivers for it haven't even been updated since October, which is when Windows 7 was released. I don't know what to do :ohdear:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

rolleyes posted:

I'm not sure about doing it for a specific disk (Casao? You know anything about that?) but you can do it for all disks here:

Search for power in the start menu, click "Change plan settings" for the plan you want to edit and then click "Change advanced power settings".
Cheers, changed it to 120 minutes so see how that suits me.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Anyone use something called pGina?

We just got official word that Apple won't be supporting Windows 7 logins on Mac OS X Server until 10.7 comes out, and they suggested we use pGina to force Windows 7 to use a more compatible/legacy authentication method that does work with Mac OS X Server and Open Directory.

When I look up pGina, I found multiple dead domains (one being squatted), a blog where the author says they are giving up, an empty wiki, and a forum with no posts.

Someone seems to be updating the software, as it says its supports Vista/Win7, and has a February 10th 2010 build date.

The program won't work for me (it gives me a useless, cryptic error about the plugin being invalid). I can't find any documentation, and what I could find was a little hard to read because of amount of errors (spelling, grammar, capitalization, etc). Supposedly pGina has been around for almost 10 years now.

We've been holding off on upgrading to Windows 7 at work since our servers don't support it yet. Windows servers and Linux servers do, but we use Mac OS X Servers. We paid a buttload for Apple support, and all we get from that is arrogant tech assholes telling us we should just use Windows Server if we wish to use Windows 7 (ha!).

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Antigen v2.0 posted:

You will want to install the Nvidia drivers, also the nvidia control panel isn't at all bloated anymore it's pretty useful.

Really? Relative to everything else, the NVIDIA Control Panel is slow as poo poo. It takes 3-4 seconds to start and switching between pages takes 1-2 seconds when both should be nearly instant. It runs like it was written in Python wrapped in Java.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Wrapped in an HP printer driver.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

fishmech posted:

You're crazy or were using an OEM version. I've had Nero 7 and never had "Scout".

Nope, I bought it in a box. It doesn't install properly on Windows Vista or 7, but it certainly tries. It's not disableable anywhere in the installer. It's just happy circumstance that the taskbar is too different for it to hook into in Vista and 7.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is the Windows Live Essentials crap worth downloading? I mean why not I guess right?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is the Windows Live Essentials crap worth downloading? I mean why not I guess right?

If you have a use for the programs, then they're decent and basic.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I just bothered with movie maker and photo gallery. They look neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Xenomorph posted:

We paid a buttload for Apple support, and all we get from that is arrogant tech assholes telling us we should just use Windows Server

You should probably listen to that tech arsehole. It sounds like he knows what he's talking about. :p