Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caramelsundae02
Mar 23, 2006
Ok there is a song Ive heard 2or 3 times and its killing me that I cant find the singer or title.Its a woman singing that sounds like Norah Jones and it goes something like "Can I go on and still be strong".Thats all I know of the song and Ive been looking for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

A Violence Gang posted:

The bridge of Pink Floyd's "Sheep"? Don't recall lyrics sounding like what you mentioned but worth a shot.

Nah, the vocals sound a lot more artificial.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

TheOneOutside posted:

Nah, the vocals sound a lot more artificial.

It's not 21st Century Schizoid Man is it?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Hairball posted:

Anyone know what the grungy techno song at the beginning of this video is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21E0EwXWiAM

Stand Up, by The Prodigy. From the album Invaders Must Die. (Skip to 1:58 if you're impatient, though it's a bloody good song.)

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 9, 2010

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Velocirocktor posted:

It's not 21st Century Schizoid Man is it?

Nope. If it helps, the recording I generally hear usually is in front of a live audience.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

TheOneOutside posted:

Nope. If it helps, the recording I generally hear usually is in front of a live audience.

I know you mentioned you thought it wasn't Frampton, but I was wondering if it was possible it could be some version of "Show Me The Way" live.

I only ask because I have heard at least one super-extended live version on my local classic rock station where he does the robot voice solo thing for at least a minute or so, and then finally gets back into the real song. I haven't been able to find that version on youtube anywhere, either.

Here's one of his variations where he has more of a talking thing going on (start at 2:30)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nS9U2PCOhw

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Dell_Zincht posted:

Stand Up, by The Prodigy. From the album Invaders Must Die. (Skip to 1:58 if you're impatient, though it's a bloody good song.)

Thanks! Now I have to know what song they sampled the trumpet bit from is.

Edit: Manfred Mann's Chapter 3 - One Way Glass is seems.

swampman
Oct 20, 2008

by Shine
Hi megathread. I'm really hosed up over this song that I can't find. I have so much memory of it and I can't seem to find out what it's called or who sings it. It's a story narrated by a woman who comes home and finds a love letter on her daughter's bed that says basically "let's elope tonight", and then she confronts her daughter about it. and then it turns out it was a letter her husband had wrote to her years ago... kind of a corny sentiment, but the way the chorus is arranged is what has been grabbing me - just her saying "The letter" and then a group of french horns going "bu-bu-bu-bu-bu-buuuuuhhh-buhh" to make a really wonderful rising chord... Anyway I am literally dying because I can't think of this, it is literally killing me and I am literally lying on my death bed with literal poop dripping into my bedpan because I literally can't control my bowels until I hear this song again. Please help!!

Lucette Babette
Jun 24, 2005
Where'd you go? ... Oh.

Gideon posted:

You might check the radio website next time. Some of them have a listing of the songs they played recently

I heard the song again today and once I was home rushed to the website of the radio station only to find they do not list the songs they've played recently. I was able to remember more lyrics this time though.

"So unpack your bags this instant" and "lay me down" lay me down is repeated several times at the end and he talks about walking to the ocean or by the ocean. Sadly I only caught the end of the song.

InvadErGII
May 29, 2008
This is technically about a song I know, but I'm trying to find more information on it and it probably doesn't warrant its own thread, so here goes.

There's a bonus track on the American release of Hot Shots II by The Beta Band called "Won". It prominently samples "One" by Harry Nilsson, as well as a hip hop song I don't know and a beat, possibly from that same hip hop song or possibly of the band's own creation. It's also loving incredible, though it doesn't blend in with the rest of the album (hence it being a bonus track, I guess). The liner notes don't explain much of this, and I'd love to know the story behind this song or at least what other songs it samples. Can anyone shed some light on this?

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

looks like he's just some guy named sean reveron who's in a few other groups but nothing too well-known, pretty sure he's featured on the track (aka it's not from any pre-existing song)
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Sean+Reveron

Zelphabop
Sep 1, 2006
jitterbug
There is this awesome ?drum and bass? trance? song ive been listening to in my Yoga class its has this really soothing beat

It sounds like an accordian or organ is one of the instruments in it?
there is no lyrics, its pretty long and trancy
the bands name is something like

Gaton something
Gatten something
Gallet something
Canot something

two word band name amazing song

please help

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"

Lucette Babette posted:

I heard the song again today and once I was home rushed to the website of the radio station only to find they do not list the songs they've played recently. I was able to remember more lyrics this time though.

"So unpack your bags this instant" and "lay me down" lay me down is repeated several times at the end and he talks about walking to the ocean or by the ocean. Sadly I only caught the end of the song.

This doesn't help you much right now, but I always have really good luck calling up a radio station after they play a song I don't know and asking whoever answers. It's worth it to at least put the station's number in your cell phone for the next time you hear it!

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

Zelphabop posted:

There is this awesome ?drum and bass? trance? song ive been listening to in my Yoga class its has this really soothing beat

Gaton something
Gatten something
Gallet something
Canot something

please help

No idea what song it is but are you thinking of Gotan Project? They're like kind of latin/world dance music that use a lot of real instruments. Diferente has an organ/accordion sounding lead but so do a couple of their songs, is this the one?

kundalini rinsing fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 11, 2010

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Zelphabop posted:

Gaton something
Gatten something
Gallet something
Canot something

please help

Gotan Project, but I have no idea what song.

EFB etc

Zelphabop
Sep 1, 2006
jitterbug
Thank you, seriously. That was quick and amazingly helpful. You are both the best. High fives all around

The song I wanted was Chungas revenge. Tis good

Zelphabop fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 11, 2010

Sputnyak
Dec 2, 2007

Discophagus Grunniens
There's a George Gershwin song I'm trying to find, but I can't for the life of me remember how it began. I had it all clear in my head until last night, too. :argh:
All I remember is that it was incredibly melancholy (at least to begin with), and started off with quite a long trumpet solo. It wasn't anything like his really fluffy dancing stuff, and instead almost made me weep.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

do you mean song, as in something like "i've got rhythm" that he wrote with his brother ira, or a composed piece like rhapsody in blue?

Sputnyak
Dec 2, 2007

Discophagus Grunniens
I heard it performed live where the whole show was without singers, so it could be either. :( I reckon it wasn't a song because of the fairly long solo, but I could be wrong.

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008
Clinic - Monkey on your Back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaC1U3LOI-o

The part from 2:22 on reminds me a lot of another song and it's killing me. I'm thinking it's older but it may be more recent or even another Clinic song so I don't know...

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
I remember seeing a music video on MTV around the first times I visited Europe, so, early 2000's. It was an alt-rock or indie rock band, and the video had a Japanese martial-arts movie theme, with some bullet time if I'm remembering right. For the life of me I can't remember what band / song it was though.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

I remember seeing a music video on MTV around the first times I visited Europe, so, early 2000's. It was an alt-rock or indie rock band, and the video had a Japanese martial-arts movie theme, with some bullet time if I'm remembering right. For the life of me I can't remember what band / song it was though.

Probably not this but I'm posting it anyway because it's a good music video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-VijzcWVUA

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
not that but that owns so ok. The one I was thinking of was slicker, glossier, closer to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or House of Flying Daggers style.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

Closest I can think of is "Scorpio Rising" by Death in Vegas, but I doubt it.

Edit: VVV If so that's my first correct guess in about 10 tries :colbert:

HoldYourFire fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 15, 2010

Bitcoin Billionaire
Mar 10, 2007
Think that's it, thanks.

Mincher
May 12, 2008
Hello folks.

Please could you help me identify the track used in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQ9h4Pkabg#movie_player

I know I've heard it before but I just can't place it. That guitar sound is so gritty!

Thanks.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
An iTunes ad popped up on the video saying it was El Wray from the Planet Terror soundtrack

blintoh
Aug 29, 2006

Oh lord its doing it on the carpet.
I heard a song in my friend's car a couple times a few months back. I was really tired the few times I heard it, so my memory isn't perfect and my friend can't think of what it might be.

It was a hip-hop song I remember a significant portion of it having just piano (I think two different chords) and rapping (which was sung a little bit, but mostly rapped). The delivery sounded a little bit like Afroman. The song overall seemed to be a little bit spacey (lots of reverb and such), but this might be because I was tired. I forget how long the piano and vocals section was - it could have been the whole song or just a break. It might have another instrument, perhaps drums or bass, that I don't remember, but the piano and vocals felt most prominent. It is likely an older rap song (probably pre-2002ish, but this isn't for sure). I remember it being about 80 bpm or so, but that could be off.

Because my friend is a big Afroman fan, and it sounded like Afroman, I checked a bunch of that. I don't have his CDs - only youtube - so I could have missed something easily. My friend suggested Automobile by Easy-E, but it wasn't that. The piano wasn't so upbeat, and I remember it having just one vocalist. We also thought it might have been Deltron, but I've checked a bunch of Deltron and I haven't found it.

Any ideas?

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

CRKramer posted:

:words:

"Just A Friend" by Biz Markie?

blintoh
Aug 29, 2006

Oh lord its doing it on the carpet.

Bolkovr posted:

"Just A Friend" by Biz Markie?

It's not that - the piano is less upbeat than that. Thanks though, and Biz Markie kicks rear end regardless.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I heard a really fast tempo funk song at a couple of nights ago and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I probably should though, I've heard it in so many different things before. It's purely instrumental, the saxophone and bass stood out the most if that's any help. Anyone got any ideas?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Hairball posted:

I heard a really fast tempo funk song at a couple of nights ago and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I probably should though, I've heard it in so many different things before. It's purely instrumental, the saxophone and bass stood out the most if that's any help. Anyone got any ideas?

Average White Band - Pick Up the Pieces?

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

Average White Band - Pick Up the Pieces?

No, much more up tempo and intense.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Hairball posted:

No, much more up tempo and intense.

Yakety Sax?

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Glass Joe posted:

Yakety Sax?

I'm bad with names but I'm not that bad with names.

Mincher
May 12, 2008

Velocirocktor posted:

An iTunes ad popped up on the video saying it was El Wray from the Planet Terror soundtrack

Excellent! There's no advert on that vid for me. Perhaps a UK/US thing.

Thanks again for your help.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
The Green Hornet theme?

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Heard a song on a local hip hop show (Mac Lethal's Black Clover Radio) that plays both local and mainstream stuff and though I'd be able to find a playlist online and figure it out, but nope, no playlist.

It's a upbeat song, with horns, and part of the lyrics mention "true blue skies ahead" and then something like:

I don't care what you unless it's me you're thinking about
I don't care what you unless you think about me

Google isn't helping and if this doesn't work, I'll email the DJ.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Heard a song while on the operating table!

It's old, maybe from the 70's. Kind of funkish and the male vocal sings something like "Heyla... Heyyyla..." or "Ella... Ella..." and then sings some questions to this presumably woman (like Why'd you do this to me - but not exactly that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

Heard a song while on the operating table!

It's old, maybe from the 70's. Kind of funkish and the male vocal sings something like "Heyla... Heyyyla..." or "Ella... Ella..." and then sings some questions to this presumably woman (like Why'd you do this to me - but not exactly that).

Layla?