Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Phy posted:

Post stories of horrible mechanical failures, too, please?

Flood damage isn't exciting damage, it just makes for dangerous working conditions. Just try to imagine a pitch-black 600'x200'x40' (LxWxH) cave with half an inch to two inches of mud everywhere, and some holes still filled with water.

Nothing was operational when the water got to the plant so I think the worst immediate damage was from one of the turbines still being at operating temperatures when it got doused. All that did was warp all the blades so they needed to get a new turbine. Rest of the damage was from spending a couple of weeks under flood-water, that stuff is awful to equipment.

I'll see if I can find some pictures, but I think they're all locked up in an old project folder.

Edit: Found the photos but they're all equipment specific and after they drained, pressure-washed and got lights up in the basements. Also, the equipment photos show tags that include our company name and my name in big letters. No dice.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

trouser chili posted:

I've never been more in awe of sheer danger than the time I toured a smelter.

I worked in an iron foundry for 3 months...

I lost almost 30lbs (I was 5'11 175 going in, and 5'11 148 coming out.) Man was it hot as hell in there, even in March-May. I got to wear a cool powered forced air breathing apparatus though.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

orange lime posted:

Sure there is. Torque = (hp*5252)/engine speed at which hp was measured. If it's putting out 10,000hp at 100 rpm that's 525,000 lb-ft.

As I said, :gonk:

I said there isn't a WORD for it, there certainly is a NUMBER. ;)

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

orange lime posted:

Sure there is. Torque = (hp*5252)/engine speed at which hp was measured. If it's putting out 10,000hp at 100 rpm that's 525,000 lb-ft.

As I said, :gonk:

MonkeyNutZ posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clementine_Maersk
84,484hp

Although, this is wikipedia, it says the top speed is 256.1 knots (294mph)

Just to clear this up, that would make it 4,437,100 ft-lb.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

frozenphil posted:

Just to clear this up, that would make it 4,437,100 ft-lb.

Assuming a 4' diameter shaft, you could attach a 2.2 million pound (1100 ton) weight to a cable spooled around the shaft, and lift it at a speed of 13mph. Of course that is assuming a cable of infinitesmal diameter. :monocle:

sandoz fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 12, 2010

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Sponge! posted:

I lost almost 30lbs (I was 5'11 175 going in, and 5'11 148 coming out.) Man was it hot as hell in there, even in March-May. I got to wear a cool powered forced air breathing apparatus though.

This was a nickel smelter in Thompson, Manitoba. The heat was nearly unbearable anywhere in the plant. At one point we got to watch them pour a crucible and from like 100 yards away I thought my face was going to melt off. It was so dark in the plant too, until they poured that fucker. It was like someone was pouring the out the surface of the sun. But it was a strange light source because while the molten metal itself is excruciatingly bright, it didn't really illuminate anything else in the plant. If you weren't looking at it, everything was just as dark and impossible to see as before.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.
We need a metallurgy/metalworking thread. This poo poo is awesome.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Sponge! posted:

I went to an interview at a plywood plant for an IT job when I first moved to Alabama. It was August and the temps in the sheetmetal building they did all of the work in were well over 150°F. They use steam presses and poo poo to do most of the work so the humidity was 100% as well.

The amount of near death experiences just walking in the designated walking path was unreal. Plywood was cruising by at head height on gantries, forklift operators were tearing rear end around the building moving loads as they got paid by the load, huge steam presses were venting superheated steam at random intervals and made walking around them like some kind of hosed up Super Mario level were you had to time it just right.

I never even made it back to the HR office, I said gently caress this place and left.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

frozenphil posted:

I went to an interview at a plywood plant for an IT job when I first moved to Alabama. It was August and the temps in the sheetmetal building they did all of the work in were well over 150°F. They use steam presses and poo poo to do most of the work so the humidity was 100% as well.

The amount of near death experiences just walking in the designated walking path was unreal. Plywood was cruising by at head height on gantries, forklift operators were tearing rear end around the building moving loads as they got paid by the load, huge steam presses were venting superheated steam at random intervals and made walking around them like some kind of hosed up Super Mario level were you had to time it just right.

I never even made it back to the HR office, I said gently caress this place and left.

The ensuing thread about your injuries could have been Gold man. Way to not think of us :mad:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sponge! posted:

Working in an injection moulding plant in the middle of summer was bad enough. Anywhere dealing with large amounts of molten metal must be utter hell.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

InitialDave posted:

Working in an injection moulding plant in the middle of summer was bad enough. Anywhere dealing with large amounts of molten metal must be utter hell.

Even the not so molten bits were hell.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

teh jhey posted:

We need a metallurgy/metalworking thread. This poo poo is awesome.

We have one in the DIY forum, but it's more for hobbyists.

Several blacksmiths, multiple weldors, and a couple guys who do backyard metal casting.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Slung Blade posted:

We have one in the DIY forum, but it's more for hobbyists.

Several blacksmiths, multiple weldors, and a couple guys who do backyard metal casting.

I have this deep rooted fear of actually looking at that thread for fear of it being nothing but neckbeards asking how to make Hanzo steel and chainmail.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

frozenphil posted:

I have this deep rooted fear of actually looking at that thread for fear of it being nothing but neckbeards asking how to make Hanzo steel and chainmail.

Is it sad I've often considered an anodized(red) aluminum chainmaile tie?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Sponge! posted:

Is it sad I've often considered an anodized(red) aluminum chainmaile tie?

https://www.theringlord.com Make it out of whatever metal (or non-metal, really) you can imagine.

frozenphil - The hobbyist's metalworking thread is not nearly as goony as you would think.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Skyssx posted:

https://www.theringlord.com Make it out of whatever metal (or non-metal, really) you can imagine.

frozenphil - The hobbyist's metalworking thread is not nearly as goony as you would think.

Says the guy who bookmarked a site that offers this fine article of clothing:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

incredibull posted:

Cleaning, replacement of fatigued impeller fins, machining or replacement of worn shaft bearing journals, etc.

That's why there's the DEADMAN ALARM. Of course, it won't help you, because you're dead. It's just there to let everyone else know that since you didn't press the button on time, you're probably dead (or on Russian vessels, the engineer is drunk and passed out).

That won't even matter... its not like you can stop the shaft in less than 20 seconds.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
http://theringlord.com/images/commercial/lampshade1.jpg

Now that is :coal:...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

frozenphil posted:

Yeah we're not nearly that bad.

I make decorative and functional ironwork, dv6 does casting stuff, is a weldor, and is in the process of restoring an old south bend lathe from the 40s, smokey's a pro welding guru from the oil industry, brek makes and repairs brass instruments, and Jovial is the guy who makes those neat sheet-metal and wire statues in SA mart.

Hardly anyone comes in and talks about ~*My Hanzo Steel*~ or replica armor.

pimpedlightsaber
Dec 3, 2005

sharkytm posted:

That won't even matter... its not like you can stop the shaft in less than 20 seconds.

That's not to stop the shaft, it's to let people know you didn't press the button so you're probably dead.

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts
wow, this thread really went off track

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

drzrma posted:

A modern water tube boiler, even without a superheater or reheat, usually ends up looking like something a savant four year old made after a week of work with a case of spaghetti noodles. I can't find any good pictures online, I'll try and scan something from one of my steam related textbooks.

There's a tube-leak at our Coal plant, so I should hopefully be able to get a picture tomorrow of what the crazy rear end headers look like for everyone else.

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004

frozenphil posted:

Detonation is bad, kids. However, if you know a badass with a welder, he can fix you up proper.

In the same vain:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How the gently caress would that have happened?

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

How the gently caress would that have happened?

In the immortal words of my car buddy:

++Ignition -Fuel

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MisterSparkle posted:

In the immortal words of my car buddy:

++Ignition -Fuel

Doesn't that punch a hole in the top though? Not in the skirt like that?

Parabellum
Feb 26, 2004
Si Vis Pace
I like that the #2 compression ring soldiered on like a champ, even though not much else near it did :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Doesn't that punch a hole in the top though? Not in the skirt like that?

Not usually. My guess is the edges of the piston above the ringland has less metal, heats up faster and melts first rather than the thicker parts towards the center. This is from an ACVW I rebuilt when cyl #3 lost compression.

Cylinder #1 piston skirt broke in half. This engine saw some pretty serious detonation. The previous owner thought it was ok to run it "for a short time" without the belt.

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
Valid theory Pipkin.

Otherwise if the detonation was caused by overheating, one could assume that the flame front (and the hottest part of the burn) would be ignited by a "hot spot" on a cylinder wall.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

So you hear a noise in your bottom end and decide to drop the oil pan and check out your bearings. What's the worst thing to see in the pan?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

frozenphil posted:

So you hear a noise in your bottom end and decide to drop the oil pan and check out your bearings. What's the worst thing to see in the pan?

I saw this a few days ago with a lovely 4G37 I am rebuilding :smith:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

I saw this a few days ago with a lovely 4G37 I am rebuilding :smith:

This dude slapped a Kenne Bell on his stock 2v Mustang and decided to see how much boost the stock shortblock could handle. 20psi was probably a bad choice of starting points.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

frozenphil posted:

How did oil control ring(s) end up down there? Massive skirt failure?

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Sponge! posted:

How did oil control ring(s) end up down there? Massive skirt failure?

Like I said above, 20psi from a positive displacement Kenne Bell supercharger on a stock 2v Mustang bottom end. Most consider 14psi or 430rwhp to be pushing your luck on the garbage stock hypereutectic pistons and powdered metal rods. He would have been making around 600 to 650rwhp on 20psi with a proper setup, but the stock fuel system and bottom end can't keep up with that. Go lean, detonation on already maxed out pistons and rods, boom.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

frozenphil posted:

Like I said above, 20psi from a positive displacement Kenne Bell supercharger on a stock 2v Mustang bottom end. Most consider 14psi or 430rwhp to be pushing your luck on the garbage stock hypereutectic pistons and powdered metal rods. He would have been making around 600 to 650rwhp on 20psi with a proper setup, but the stock fuel system and bottom end can't keep up with that. Go lean, detonation on already maxed out pistons and rods, boom.

I swear I musta loaded the thread and got distracted while you posted the first time...

Who start's anything boost related at 20psi? :smug:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
While only tangentially mechanical failure, I think Staplerfahrer Klaus fits well with this thread. If you haven't seen it before, it's a German spoof forklift training video, demonstrating what not to do. Starts out rather slow, but pretty quickly gets quite funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMhI0KZpYnc

Speaking of forklift accidents and subsequent mechanical failure, this is what happens when a structural member supporting a shitload of russian vodka is forcibly removed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stDWNam7RtE

grover fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 15, 2010

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
996 motors and light-weight flywheels don't mix, kids.

quote:

1- The engine was "upgraded" to a lightened flywheel. This new flywheel was installed onto the existing stock engine without being balanced to that assembly. This created an imbalance in the rotating mass AND it did away with the factory dual mass flywheel.

2- The dual mass flywheel was removed to alow the single mass lightened unit to be installed. This eliminated ALL MEANS OF HARMONIC DAMPENING!! The crankshaft was forced to absorb ALL harmonics from the engine and transaxle when the dual mass unit was removed..

So- adding the light weight flywheel was a double negative, not only did it create imbalance, it also eliminated the harmonic dampening of the dual mass arrangement.

Due to this I feel that adding a lightweight flywheel to any existing engine is not a wise decision, and that they should only be added when the entire rotating mass can be balanced and indexed to accomodate the lightweight unit. This means engine disassembly, so I'd only add one of these when doing one of our performance upgrades so the entire assembly can be precisely balanced.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

grover posted:

Speaking of forklift accidents and subsequent mechanical failure, this is what happens when a structural member supporting a shitload of russian vodka is forcibly removed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stDWNam7RtE

Those have to be the worst storage shelves I have ever seen.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

InterceptorV8 posted:

Those have to be the worst storage shelves I have ever seen.

What else would you expect from a Russian vodka warehouse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Dave Inc. posted:

996 motors and light-weight flywheels don't mix, kids.

"What is this metal and rubber doughnut thing on my engine? I bet removing it should be worth a few horsepower. Stupid engineers, this is a performance Porsche, it doesn't need a smooth ride!"