Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

frozenphil posted:

"What is this metal and rubber doughnut thing on my engine? I bet removing it should be worth a few horsepower. Stupid engineers, this is a performance Porsche, it doesn't need a smooth ride!"

The race teams use it so it must be better!*

* - Involves extensive modifications and frequent engine tear-downs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
That's interesting. I would have imagined Porsche having internally balanced motors.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Heads and pistons from my collection. The thing to note on the bottom head is the shim sitting on it. See the hole burnt throught it? Yeah. Did that in less than an hour, on more than one cylinder. Due to the domed piston pictured next to it.

The top one, dropped intake valve seat, ate a piston.

That looks like a VW motor, but I can't quite tell with all the fail.. How does one destroy a motor like that?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
they are, but replacing parts of the rotating assembly without rebalancing=bad things.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Big fail, indeed.

http://www.todaysbigfail.com/view/20100215

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

ijustam posted:

Big fail, indeed.

That's making the rounds... I'd like to see pictures of what things looked like after he pried the hood open.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

ijustam posted:

Big fail, indeed.

I'm not too sure whether that was a fail or whether the owner was doing that on purpose. The plastic bag taped over the broken front passenger window seems to point to the car being a piece of poo poo before getting thrashed like that. Plus there was a lack of "OH gently caress OH poo poo MAN YOUR DAD IS GOING TO BE PISSED" from the video.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Those have to be the worst storage shelves I have ever seen.
I've worked places with those shelves (and with a similar lack of bash-guards at the lower legs) - they're just thin sheet steel folded into sections, not even proper box or tube. They're frightening enough on their own, never mind when you see a loaded one get clipped by a forklift and crumple like the proverbial coke can.

Think foam rubber sounds squishy and delicate? When it's 1) strapped to a pallet and 2) descending from thirty feet up, it'll gently caress up what it hits good and proper.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

InitialDave posted:

I've worked places with those shelves (and with a similar lack of bash-guards at the lower legs) - they're just thin sheet steel folded into sections, not even proper box or tube. They're frightening enough on their own, never mind when you see a loaded one get clipped by a forklift and crumple like the proverbial coke can.

Think foam rubber sounds squishy and delicate? When it's 1) strapped to a pallet and 2) descending from thirty feet up, it'll gently caress up what it hits good and proper.

I once toured the local Heinz Foods plant (now StarKist or something, they make pet foods, not people foods.) And it was awesome. They built this huge warehouse, and it was going to be their biggest on the east coast, so they made it 75' high and had a fleet of cool 60' boom forklifts... Well we got to see a pallet of canned cat food pop it's plastic and MIRV cans from the top shelf... Was the best part of the tour. I was like 10 at the time. :) They pointed to the heavy shields around the forklift and said "now you know..."

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ijustam posted:

Big fail, indeed.

I'd like to imagine that the neighbors are inside trying to watch tv, rolling their eyes as the annoying neighbor with the loud car revs his engine again. The husband instinctively leans forward, reaching for the remote to raise it up three clicks when they both hear a loud THUNK, followed by the familiar nuisance noise stopping. They run to the window like children looking for Santa just in time to see the smoke begin pouring out from under the hood of the neighborhood travesty, and exchange a mutual grin before settling down to finish their viewing of whatever happened to be on TBS at the time.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

You Am I posted:

I'm not too sure whether that was a fail or whether the owner was doing that on purpose. The plastic bag taped over the broken front passenger window seems to point to the car being a piece of poo poo before getting thrashed like that. Plus there was a lack of "OH gently caress OH poo poo MAN YOUR DAD IS GOING TO BE PISSED" from the video.

I liked how he went to open the hood, then grimaced at the oil on his hands... We all know when an engine makes that noise oil goes everywhere under there...

Would have been funnier if whatever it decided wanted to GTFO had gone through the windscreen and into the idiot's head/chest instead of bouncing off.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ijustam posted:

Big fail, indeed.

That poor poor Neon. :smith:

Edit: Actually, I've seen this before. Too much slip and the bolts holding the modular clutch assembly together completely sheer. Not only do you have a 20+ lbs hunk of metal spinning in free fall all those sheered bolt heads shoot off like bullets. Same thing happens when you raise the rev limit on these things past the point at which the stock clutch assembly was designed. That guy is lucky to still have his legs.

Or the motor just popped. /shrug

Edit: content

SRT-4 decides to drop a valve.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 16, 2010

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

ijustam posted:

Big fail, indeed.

Hahahahahahahahahaha, check out the previous days fail. That would have hurt light poo poo. Even the commentator squeals out of sympathy.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

InitialDave posted:

Video example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6FAOY6Pmpk

frozenphil fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 16, 2010

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
FYI, that very same video was JUST posted, and was what InitialDave was replying to.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
On the topic of failed burnouts, here is some Z06 flavor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM3So0U1BMQ

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

thArf posted:

On the topic of failed burnouts, here is some Z06 flavor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM3So0U1BMQ

You can almost hear the tears flowing when he says "gently caress!" right at the end.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

grover posted:

FYI, that very same video was JUST posted, and was what InitialDave was replying to.

Mind linking me, cause I don't see it.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you edited in the video after I had already moved on to the next page. I'm sorry I didn't check previous pages to see if anyone had edited it into their post.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

frozenphil posted:

Mind linking me, cause I don't see it.
Bottom of the previous page:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=21#post372549588

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

Sponge! posted:

You can almost hear the tears flowing when he says "gently caress!" right at the end.

The worst part is the description:

quote:

guy fries clutch instead of tires--professionals Don't worry about money, it was repaired under warranty by Chevy

UsernameExists
Jun 25, 2003

Guru Meditation Error
My favorite personal disaster:

Miata + Way too much power = Boom

It was quite an experience at ~75mph, believe me. All told, bent output on transmission, destroyed driveshaft, rear subframe, halfshafts, powerplant frame, hole in gas tank, and more I'm probably forgetting.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
holy poo poo. the diff broke off the Power Plant Frame?! how much power were you making?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

UsernameExists posted:

My favorite personal disaster:

Miata + Way too much power = Boom

It was quite an experience at ~75mph, believe me. All told, bent output on transmission, destroyed driveshaft, rear subframe, halfshafts, powerplant frame, hole in gas tank, and more I'm probably forgetting.

This is American V-8 drag car territory. I salute you.

UsernameExists
Jun 25, 2003

Guru Meditation Error
If i recall correctly, and I could very well be wrong, it's been about 6 years, it had dyno'd ~285hp a few months before that...
Not bad for a 1.6 right?

Of course I had the boost turned up a little before that happened. Sometimes I can't help myself...

Believe it or not the diff was still good! Which is nice because the torsens were expensive. New cover and it was good to go.

Best part was getting parts at a local junkyard. Talking to the guy, he gave a good deal ($400 for everything I needed!), because, I quote, "That's pretty loving awesome".

UsernameExists fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 20, 2010

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!
Not nearly as horrible as some others I've seen, but when you lose 2nd gear in a 3 speed transmission while driving down the highway, yeah, it's pretty horrible. Just one day it stopped shifting into second, so every time I accelerated, I had to red-line it and jam it into third and almost stall it... fun... When I opened it up, I counted 9 broken teeth on the 2nd gear and a groove through all of them. Never did figure out what happened. Had I known then what I now know about cars, I'd still have that rusty old '75 CJ5 and be wheeling the crap out of it.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

nubie7357 posted:

Not nearly as horrible as some others I've seen, but when you lose 2nd gear in a 3 speed transmission while driving down the highway, yeah, it's pretty horrible. Just one day it stopped shifting into second, so every time I accelerated, I had to red-line it and jam it into third and almost stall it... fun... When I opened it up, I counted 9 broken teeth on the 2nd gear and a groove through all of them. Never did figure out what happened. Had I known then what I now know about cars, I'd still have that rusty old '75 CJ5 and be wheeling the crap out of it.

How on earth is this possible? There are perfectly fine teeth (except for that groove) in between totally destroyed teeth.

:psyduck:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

UsernameExists posted:

hole in gas tank

(that was patched with epoxy, which didn't last long :( )

Bow TIE Fighter
Sep 16, 2007

Our cummerbunds can't repel firepower of that magnitude!

Slung Blade posted:

How on earth is this possible? There are perfectly fine teeth (except for that groove) in between totally destroyed teeth.

Not really sure how it happened, it was a number of years ago and I didn't really know that much about cars then. Not that I know a lot now, but I've changed fluids and stuff. And now that I think about it, those gears do look pretty dry, and I didn't drain the fluid before removing the top, so who knows how much lubrication it was getting...

Here's another pic for the morbidly curious, you can see metal shavings off to the left:

You know, now I'm curious what the gears on the other shaft (output?) looked like. I never got pics because I'm fairly certain that at the time I didn't know exactly how a transmission worked and was just exploring to see what I could find.

Dammit, now I want to track it down and see whatever happened to "the one that got away", but it got towed to a junkyard back in '05, probably crushed by now.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Frank Dillinger posted:

holy poo poo. the diff broke off the Power Plant Frame?! how much power were you making?

gently caress the PPF. He broke the loving carriers off it. :psyduck:

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Why is there a bran muffin in that cylinder?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Slung Blade posted:

I managed to do this to a toyota R151F transmission by putting my foot down in 5th gear!

Found all my teeth though! :D

And dad did this to his Transfer case on the Prado- did a sand dune in low range and tore the planetary assembly apart!

And thats the rest of it...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
No pictures because holy poo poo, I saw something that I never thought I'd see. Hauling rear end down the interstate, there is a big truck on the side of the road with triangles out, didn't even grab my camera, but noticed that there was black poo poo sprayed up the back of the sleep to the top (had a container on) but when I passed it, I noticed that the whole loving hood, windshield, and to the top of the sleeper (Anteater with full studio sleeper and fairings) was coated in black as night oil. Somehow the guy blew his loving engine so hard it shot oil out the front through the loving radiator and covered everything.

That engine must have gone off in a bloody explosion that must have been really bloody impressive and created itself an superfund site at the same time. Guy didn't even lift the hood so I couldn't see a drat thing.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
this is not what a rod bearing should look like:

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

jamal posted:

this is not what a rod bearing should look like:

Ouch... That hurts to look at it. Doesn't look like it really got that hot either. Contamination maybe?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

InterceptorV8 posted:

That engine must have gone off in a bloody explosion that must have been really bloody impressive and created itself an superfund site at the same time. Guy didn't even lift the hood so I couldn't see a drat thing.

Oil cooler line?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Slack3r posted:

Ouch... That hurts to look at it. Doesn't look like it really got that hot either. Contamination maybe?

7-bolt 4G63?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Just found this. Pictures of the laker Algoport breaking up under tow to China.

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/algoportsink.htm

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

MikeyTsi posted:

7-bolt 4G63?

EJ25 Subaru boxer

scapulataf
Jul 18, 2007

by Ozmaugh

rocket_350 posted:

Just found this. Pictures of the laker Algoport breaking up under tow to China.

http://www.boatnerd.com/pictures/fleet/algoportsink.htm

Sissy lakers can't handle the open sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zephyrthebreeze
Dec 30, 2006
sine qua non
lemons racers are pretty amusing. taken from http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=3888

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

quote:

What thread would be complete without a picture of something broken on the Fiat??

[pic]

We did the last 2.5hrs on Saturday with only 1 gear. Chunks of 4th gear kept fouling the forks, so once you got it into gear, you just left it there. Got the replacement gearbox in about 1:30am on Sun. More gears is better than less gears.