Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Artemisia posted:

Got a better shot of the costume after the show yesterday, although it was with freaky red stage lighting:

This looks awesome! Nice job on the belly dance outfit, Artemisia.

I once did the same sort of thing - modifying an existing bra to use as something else. (A teddy/slip sort of thing, to surprise my boyfriend. He was quite pleased!)
It was a lot of fun to do, though.

Hope the dancing went well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

concreteelephant
Jul 13, 2009

Artemisia posted:

Got a better shot of the costume after the show yesterday

That looks really cool, great job!

Alamadu
Sep 16, 2009
I know this looks like a shameless advertisement, but I swear it isn't. It is just a cool local business that I just found out about.

I worked in screen printing for five years, and was catching up with an old coworker who showed me the website for her current job. They do digital printing of custom fabrics. You can get any thing you can design plus you can choose from stuff others have decided to make public.

I guess I am plugging this site but it isn't my site. It is just a cool local business that I want to help support and I think you guys could make good use of it.

http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

stars
Jun 11, 2008
I love the costume, Artemisia! I love how you incorporated the harlequin pattern into everything- that beading must have taken ages. It looks really, really good and I'm sure the pattern shows up so well in low lighting & with movement. It's perfect.
Also you are hot.

I am making a quinceanera dress for one of my students. She's going to wear it in the school's fashion show. She picked out the pattern and wanted something 'white with glitter.' It's not even close to the usual fluffy monstrosity but he's only having a small party/mass and is pretty shy, so I'm glad she went with something she likes instead of what everyone else does. It's fully boned with a double layer of tulle in the white dress lining. I bought all the fabric (minus the lining and tulle, which I had already) with a 40% and 50% off coupon, so the total was something like 35.00.

After french seaming 7 gores for that skirt, I can say it was pretty much worth it when I saw her try it on today. :3:

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Organza with a glitter swirl pattern.

I am pretty pleased with it so far and can't wait for a full photo of her and her damas! Should I add anything to the center front, all that white seems like it needs something- silver lace, or an applique, or...? My student picked out the trim and I forgot to ask her, I might bring something to pin on next time and then she can decide.

One of my other kids was too chubby for the sample clothes, so I made her a sweatshirt:

I am unhappy with the neckline and sleeve cuffs, though, they are too narrow maybe? Too tight? This was a modified Built By Wendy pattern. I am still looking for the perfect raglan sleeve sweatshirt pattern. Also any sewing tips for another cute outfit for a chubby 6th grader (she still needs a dressy outfit for the show) would be great...I am thinking a lot of A-lines.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Thanks for your show & tell, stars. I have some questions for you:

quote:

After french seaming 7 gores for that skirt
I am assuming gores are the lengthwise patches. Why did you decide to do so many and why the french seams? Is the material really stiff and fraying ? It seems like a lot of work that will be hidden in the end.

quote:

I am unhappy with the neckline and sleeve cuffs, though, they are too narrow maybe? Too tight?
Yes and yes for the cuffs, I would triple the length and make the sleeves more narrow as they approach the cuffs. Don't know about the neckline. It looks wrinkled; was the pink fabric bias-cut?

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

stars posted:

Also any sewing tips for another cute outfit for a chubby 6th grader (she still needs a dressy outfit for the show) would be great...I am thinking a lot of A-lines.

What kind of chubby? I think that by 6th grade body type is starting to show. If she's developing breasts but has tummy and hips, a boned top with a full skirt could be good. I found a red strapless evening gown with a full skirt at a goodwill when I was 13 that made me look amazing (and I'm kind of pear-shaped actually). A-lines are the go-to, but can look matronly and "I'm hiding the fat" if you know what I mean.

Also, that sweatshirt looks like the bane of chubby insecure 6th graders to me. I remember I had this polka dot t-shirt....forever known as the polka-dot cow shirt. Loose-fitting bold patterns make chubby girls cry.

editing to add: maybe check out pics of Kelly Clarkson for flattering styles :)

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 20, 2010

stars
Jun 11, 2008

Cross_ posted:

Thanks for your show & tell, stars. I have some questions for you:

I am assuming gores are the lengthwise patches. Why did you decide to do so many and why the french seams? Is the material really stiff and fraying ? It seems like a lot of work that will be hidden in the end.

Yes and yes for the cuffs, I would triple the length and make the sleeves more narrow as they approach the cuffs. Don't know about the neckline. It looks wrinkled; was the pink fabric bias-cut?

Gores refer to the skirt. It was part of the pattern she picked out and really, the perfect choice for an empire waisted dress the goes from a fullish skirt to very fitted on the torso and bust. The material is organza, very stiff and frayed quite a bit. I even french seamed the sleeves!!

Yeah, I am doing just that, making them a lot thicker in the process. The pattern called for the big wide sleeves but I agree that a regular, tapered sleeve will be more flattering.
It's just regular ribbing. The weird thing is I followed the 2/3 rule of ribbing to fabric but it looks like rear end. I think I got some super stretchy ribbing, or hosed up my measurements somehow. Eh, easy fix.

The original neckline is really low, I am thinking it might even look better with same-fabric facing so keep the wide shape.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Also, that sweatshirt looks like the bane of chubby insecure 6th graders to me. I remember I had this polka dot t-shirt....forever known as the polka-dot cow shirt. Loose-fitting bold patterns make chubby girls cry.

She picked out the fabric and asked for a sweatshirt. We live in Texas, she only had her school sweatshirt/sweater as winter clothes and it's been chilly. It also isn't that loose on her, but it covers her butt, so it actually (ribbing issues aside) is pretty flattering.

She is developed, and very short. Big belly, 'baby fat' type chubby, she does not look like she will be a big girl all her life, know what I mean? I am thinking of buying some adult plus size patterns made for a and use fabrics and trims to make the into tween style clothing. I've been looking at options of stuff just to buy and it' so depressing, I want her to look cute and trendy and fun, and not like an old lady or little kid. :(
EDIT: I feel too weird about pictures, even if they didn't include her head.

stars fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 20, 2010

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

stars posted:

She is developed, and very short. Big belly, 'baby fat' type chubby, she does not look like she will be a big girl all her life, know what I mean? I am thinking of buying some adult plus size patterns made for a and use fabrics and trims to make the into tween style clothing. I've been looking at options of stuff just to buy and it' so depressing, I want her to look cute and trendy and fun, and not like an old lady or little kid. :(

That's a pretty good description of me aged 12 :smith:

In other news, I finally got round to finishing the main structure on my jacket. It's from a 70s pattern, but I dropped the stupid decorative pockets (seriously, they were tiny) and put a polycotton lining in to make it look more professional. All I've got left to do now is make a covered button and a buttonhole.

The fabric is a Cath Kidston corduroy. Cath Kidston cottons sell for about £14 ($19) a metre, so I presume that this would've been pretty expensive brand new. My mum nabbed it on Freecycle!

That weird blue thing underneath is a top I was making out of old pyjamas, but I've abandoned it and might chop it up again to make a toy.

Anyway, do you think the jacket would sell on Etsy? It's too tight across my manly shoulders and makes me look like a hunchback children's entertainer, but I'm sure there's someone out there who would look good in it.
If you do think it would sell, how much for? And if you don't... what should I chop it up into? :haw:

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Hi there, my apologies for jumping in a megathread with a question, but this seemed to be the right place to ask this question. :)

My daughter needs a figure skating dress that looks like this:

except with long sleeves, and I really don't care what the back looks like. Mostly it's that skirt that I'm looking for. This pattern might have the skirt I'm looking for, but I'm having trouble deciphering their wording. Can any of you take a look and see if it looks like the right thing? Maybe the 200 series?

stars
Jun 11, 2008

hepscat posted:

Hi there, my apologies for jumping in a megathread with a question, but this seemed to be the right place to ask this question. :)

My daughter needs a figure skating dress that looks like this:

except with long sleeves, and I really don't care what the back looks like. Mostly it's that skirt that I'm looking for. This pattern might have the skirt I'm looking for, but I'm having trouble deciphering their wording. Can any of you take a look and see if it looks like the right thing? Maybe the 200 series?

You don't need a special pattern. You know on a pattern where it says 'lengthen or shorten here? If the skirt pattern doesn't have one, cut it in half (hamburger). Trace the top and bottom pattern piece with a space between, say 3 inches, then do the same again but add 6 inches. Use these 2 new pattern pieces, plus the original pattern piece, to make your layers.
To get the effect on the bottom hem you serge while lightly stretching the chiffon/georgette (I like georgette a lot better, and that's what it looks like it is in the photo- a bit stiffer and less clingy.) while you serge. You'll have to play around with the settings until you get a thin satin stitch.
https://specialtysportswear.com/cart/proddtl.php?catalog_id=100000479&
That pattern looks actually has a 2 tiered skirt, so you'd just need to draft the third layer/shorten the other pieces so it looks cohesive and not too long. Probably lots of pining and adjusting and just seeing what looks good. :)

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....
Don't use chiffon or georgette. That's a bodysuit with what looks like 3 tiers of circles sewn into waist. If it's for figure skating, the garment needs to be able to stretch and move with the body. A woven fabric will restrict movement. There are plenty of 4-way stretch fabrics that can achieve that look in the picture, you just have to shop around for them.

Also, buying a pattern for a circle skirt is a joke. You just need pattern pieces that look like this:

The inner curves just have to match up to the front and back measurements of the waistline.

4R7 THi3F fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 25, 2010

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
It definitely needs to be 4-way stretch for skating, but I like the look of georgette. I'm not sure how they finished off the edges on the skirt in the picture. This might be more than I can handle. :(

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

hepscat posted:

I'm not sure how they finished off the edges on the skirt in the picture.

Don't be worried about it, it looks really easy to make. It looks like they just fed the hem through a purl stitch machine, which is a cheap and fast finishing technique for mass industry. A nicer way to finish it would be an 1/8" baby hem.

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish

4R7 THi3F posted:

Don't use chiffon or georgette. That's a bodysuit with what looks like 3 tiers of circles sewn into waist. If it's for figure skating, the garment needs to be able to stretch and move with the body. A woven fabric will restrict movement. There are plenty of 4-way stretch fabrics that can achieve that look in the picture, you just have to shop around for them.

There may be other/better sources, but https://www.spandexhouse.com has a fairly wide selection, and I had a good experience ordering from them. I ordered most of the materials for my belly dance costume a few posts back from them (stretch sequin fabric, stretch velvet, stretch glitter mesh). I had never really sewn with stretchy fabrics before, but I was amazed at how easy it was.

stars
Jun 11, 2008
Of course the body would, but the skirt has to have stretch too? Why? Wouldn't that weigh a sheer fluffy skirt that that down? I looked online a bit and there is a lot about sewing skating dresses:
http://icemom.blogspot.com/2010/01/ice-moms-sewing-guide-all-about-fabrics.html
Which makes me really want to make another swimsuit. I still have a bunch of lining and agree that spandex house is the best. Don't forget your ballpoint needle for your sewing machine, either, I learned that by putting a run in an expensive fabric.
The hem I talked about, for the effect on that skirt, is here:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=654

Artemisia
Jun 27, 2002

Fetish

stars posted:

Of course the body would, but the skirt has to have stretch too? Why? Wouldn't that weigh a sheer fluffy skirt that that down? I looked online a bit and there is a lot about sewing skating dresses:
Which makes me really want to make another swimsuit. I still have a bunch of lining and agree that spandex house is the best. Don't forget your ballpoint needle for your sewing machine, either, I learned that by putting a run in an expensive fabric.
The hem I talked about, for the effect on that skirt, is here:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=654

Huhhh, I just used a regular needle for lightweight fabrics. Seemed to sew really well, but I guess nothing I was using was super delicate. I'll have to look into this ballpoint needle that you speak of, though...

kanteyluip
Aug 4, 2004

Mommy, I feel seasick.

Alamadu posted:

I guess I am plugging this site but it isn't my site. It is just a cool local business that I want to help support and I think you guys could make good use of it.

http://www.spoonflower.com/welcome

A friend of mine bought this tetris fabric from there: http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/111325

The quality is really good, and I'm definitely planning to order something in the future.

Artemisia posted:

There may be other/better sources, but https://www.spandexhouse.com has a fairly wide selection, and I had a good experience ordering from them. I ordered most of the materials for my belly dance costume a few posts back from them (stretch sequin fabric, stretch velvet, stretch glitter mesh). I had never really sewn with stretchy fabrics before, but I was amazed at how easy it was.

Oh hey, I forgot spandex house existed. I could spend all day looking at their stock. Now I'm seriously considering making a swimsuit, because the only thing holding me back had been the lame selection of fabric available locally.

kanteyluip fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 25, 2010

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

stars posted:

Of course the body would, but the skirt has to have stretch too? Why?
The bottom part of the skirt could be stiff as a board if you wish, but the top edge connects to the body and has to be tight meaning stretchy. One option would be to sew a 2"-3" strip of stretchy material to your non-stretch fabric and then sew the stretchy strip to the body. Should work for opaque fabric, but for sheers it might look odd.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

stars posted:

Thanks for that link, I just spent a long time digging in to that blog. Funny that she uses 2-way stretch, I think the best for comfort and flexibility you need 4-way.

By the way, if any of you need to make some money on the side, get a toe in at your local ice rink. There are people at my rink who pay a local seamstress to make new dresses every time they change their routine, and the going rate for a custom dress with Swarovski crystals is $400 and up. If you set up an internet shop you wouldn't make as much - it's the personal tailoring that people want.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Do any of you buy your fabric online?

I am taking a clothing construction class and we have ONE conveniently located fabric store. I figured I'd try online.

Suggestions for stores?

stars
Jun 11, 2008

Shnooks posted:

Do any of you buy your fabric online?

I am taking a clothing construction class and we have ONE conveniently located fabric store. I figured I'd try online.

Suggestions for stores?

Fashion fabrics club!

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
Denver Fabrics usually has a pretty good selection. It's hard to order online without looking at or feeling the fabric because it could be a completely different color, so get a swatch first if you can. I think with Denver you can order 1/8 of a yard since a lot of online places have a minimum of one yard. Spandex House gives out free swatches and is priced pretty cheap, if you want stretchy fabrics.

I don't know if you all have heard of Britex in San Francisco, but you can send them a swatch or a detailed description of a fabric and they will try and match it for you. They have a huge inventory. This would have been a life saver for me had I not heard of it sooner.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Collar question: I am working on a dress shirt again and the last one has taught me that I definitely need more interfacing/starch/collar stays. Any opinions on desirable width and length of collar stays ? My books here only mention that they exist; I have seen some that go all the way to the point wereas others only reaching the topstitching (0.25" from point).

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Spandex House gives out free swatches and is priced pretty cheap, if you want stretchy fabrics.
Just a word of warning: try ordering well in advance of your project. I ordered a couple of samples, waited 2 weeks, sent an email, waited another 2 weeks and then got the samples.

Fart Jesus LOL
Mar 11, 2007

I made a bag :-) It's not a great bag but I'm a total beginner and it was the first time I tried to use a lining sooo

Any suggestions on what might be improved?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Fart Jesus LOL posted:

bag bag bag bag

How did you do the bottom? My mom and I have been experimenting with grocery bags lately trying to make them lie flatter but hold more and I think squaring the bottom has worked the best. I LOVE the lining. I love the whole bag, really.

Fart Jesus LOL
Mar 11, 2007

Eponine posted:

How did you do the bottom? My mom and I have been experimenting with grocery bags lately trying to make them lie flatter but hold more and I think squaring the bottom has worked the best. I LOVE the lining. I love the whole bag, really.

Thanks! I didn't do anything special with the bottom really. There's not a seam there, the bag is just a rectangle folded in two and sewn on the sides. It lies flat this way but it's not especially spacious. I'll use it for school, it fits my laptop and the stuff I need for the day.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Fart Jesus LOL, the topstitching of the lining is an 1/8 of an inch on one side and then it becomes sloppy and gradually becomes a quarter of an inch on the other side. kill yourself!!!

Fart Jesus LOL
Mar 11, 2007

4R7 THi3F posted:

Fart Jesus LOL, the topstitching of the lining is an 1/8 of an inch on one side and then it becomes sloppy and gradually becomes a quarter of an inch on the other side. kill yourself!!!

I know. Did it on purpose to piss you off. Regular stitching is for girlies.

No but I'll try to improve, the fabric was pretty thick and my machine was having a hard time going regularly, next time I'll try another method for the lining. Also, kill yourself with a lasercutter.

stars
Jun 11, 2008

Fart Jesus LOL posted:

I made a bag :-) It's not a great bag but I'm a total beginner and it was the first time I tried to use a lining sooo

Any suggestions on what might be improved?

It looks really great. Where is that globe fabric from? Did you use interfacing in between?
I always sew over the top of my pocket sides and go back and forth a bit over the edge, it does not look as pretty but they always start to pull away after a few weeks use if I don't. You could maybe do a satin stitch right at the top of each side to be more polished looking.

Eponine posted:

To make it flat you need to actually make a separate piece of fabric to go around the bottom and sides. Like say 2 pieces 12x14, a 12x4 (bottom piece) and 2 14x4 (sides). I made a square bag with needlepoint plastic, like that little kids 'sew' with and grandmas make TP roll covers, inside to make it lightweight but sturdy. It went fabric, batting, plastic, interfaced lining. It really helped keep the square shape- even the expensive Vera Bradley purses my mom uses have cardboard lining the bottom.

kanteyluip
Aug 4, 2004

Mommy, I feel seasick.

Eponine posted:

I like to give my cloth grocery bags mitered bottom corners like on this page: http://www.craftandfabriclinks.com/totebag/tote_bag_pattern_pg3.html

It's the quickest way to give a bag a squared off bottom so that it holds more stuff.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
I made this bag just off the top of my head, using 5 pieces. Seems to work well, it isn't perfect (I didn't have the right needle so the webbing was almost too thick), I put a reinforcement in the bottom just like the grocery bags you buy at publix. :)

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Ahahaha I made gifs. I'm technologically challenged, so now I feel totally rad.

This was my way of solving my teacher's complaints that if I kept putting things on the inside, no one would ever see it while it was on a mannequin. Also shows how you put it on, hurray.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
But you look so sad wearing it :(

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Cross_ posted:

But you look so sad wearing it :(

That's not me, haha. My model looks sad because it's a very warm outfit, and she's got a million lights on her. I brought her OJ and pretzels though~

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I've been working on a hoodie for my younger sister that will hopefully look like a NY Rangers jersey (She's a huge fan). Maybe something like this (saying RANGERS instead of NEW YORK) and in general look more like the modern jersey. (No name or our last name on the back. Who knows) No pictures of this thing yet, but the letters are a huge bitch.

Being a dude (guys having a natural aversion to this :rolleyes:), no sewing machine (I don't know how much that would actually help), and only ever learning to make a pillow in home-ec in 8th grade, this is huge for me.
Been lurking in this thread for a while, and have been terribly intimidated ever since. Some serious talent in here. Also, Goldaline, marry me. Much love for your outta-da-box stuff. Many props to all y'all.

fake edit: Also, is there any difference in putting grommets on fabric as opposed to installing them on, say, a tarp?

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Goldaline, will you marry me? I'll handquilt whatever you want.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Rotten Cookies posted:

Being a dude (guys having a natural aversion to this :rolleyes:), no sewing machine (I don't know how much that would actually help), and only ever learning to make a pillow in home-ec in 8th grade, this is huge for me.
Hello there fellow male sewer :hfive: ! I picked up sewing without any home-ec classes so it can definitely be done; a sewing machine however would be rather helpful unless you are extremely patient and want to handstitch everything (yikes!). What's the problem you are having with the lettering ?

v- Sure.. :airquote:seamster:airquote:

Cross_ fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 11, 2010

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Cross_ posted:

Hello there fellow male sewer :hfive: !

I prefer the term "seamster" :v:.

edit: okay how about "tailor"?

nolen fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 11, 2010

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Cross_ posted:

Hello there fellow male sewer :hfive: ! I picked up sewing without any home-ec classes so it can definitely be done; a sewing machine however would be rather helpful unless you are extremely patient and want to handstitch everything (yikes!). What's the problem you are having with the lettering ?

Mostly just sewing by hand is all. I don't know anybody who has a machine, and I definitely don't sew often enough to warrant getting one. (Maybe one day?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffy_the_Diver
Oct 19, 2004

ALL ABOARD THE BUTT TRAIN
Do you guys have any good resources (preferably cheap/online) for different eras of clothing? I'm looking at 1850s through 1980s+. There are a lot of different styles I like, but I'm having one heck of a time pinpointing what the style is called, or what era/region it is from. Some sort of reference/textbook would be ideal. I'm especially partial to fashions from the 1910s-1950s, so if there's something that mostly focuses on that timespan and only lightly touches on the rest, I'm fine with that.

I'm also looking for a good, solid "basics of sewing" type resource. Things like "oh, this here pleat is called a french dart. These weird wavy sleeve things are called such-and-such. Pencil skirts look like this, and here is how they differ from, say, a-line. This is how you make ruffles without a stupid ruffle-foot ( :argh: )" If it included some sort of step-by-step how-to, that would be icing on the cake. Oh, and an explanation for the various types of fabric (organza, tweed, tulle, etc) would be awesome as my fabric knowledge is pretty much limited to corduroy, muslin, and "that stretchy stuff." I do have the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing, although I've never actually seriously looked through it.

I ask because I'm in desperate need of new clothes, I have a million yards of fabric, and am unemployed so I have countless hours to devote to learning how to make myself some nice dresses for summer.

Sorry for the derail :ohdear:

Edit: Reader's Digest, not Better Homes + Gardens!

Muffy_the_Diver fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 13, 2010