Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Found some pictures of my GTI I took over the summer. Ill take some better ones soon now that I figured out how to use my camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

stangman posted:

Yep, clange on the corral.

Hahaha! I thought that was you. The car is looking tits, man. What all have you done to it?

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure

ScaryFast posted:

I just got this a few days ago.

Are those what are known as "winter wheels"? Coming from the south of the UK where we don't have proper seasons, we tend to just leave our wheels on all year round.

Do you people with proper weather keep a winter set with (I'm guessing) grippy winter tyres, a narrower profile, cheaper (steel?) wheels specifically because the expensive summer wheels are likely to get messed up in the winter?

cheers

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

plecostomus posted:

Do you people with proper weather keep a winter set with (I'm guessing) grippy winter tyres, a narrower profile, cheaper (steel?) wheels specifically because the expensive summer wheels are likely to get messed up in the winter?

cheers

Winter tires are made from softer rubber which performs better in cold weather, the tracks are also designed to let go of snow easier. The steelies are because it's easier to swap wheels than change tires.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Pipkin posted:

Found some pictures of my GTI I took over the summer. Ill take some better ones soon now that I figured out how to use my camera.

That's my least favourite model of Golf/Rabbit, but yours looks really nice.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Anjow posted:

That's my least favourite model of Golf/Rabbit, but yours looks really nice.

Thanks. I didn't like them either until I got one (needed a daily and wanted a VR6). Its really been a good car.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's not that expensive summer tires get messed up by winter, it's that they don't grip and you slide into a solid object and get your front end messed up. The steelies are, as mentioned above, because they're cheap and it's easier to swap wheels than to swap tires.

Plus, I like the way matte black steelies look, at least on my car.

(shameless excuse to post another picture of my ride. 4 months and still very happy with it)

talk show ghost
Mar 2, 2006

by Ozma

This car is also a member of the black steelies club, you'll just have to believe me on this one.

talk show ghost fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 17, 2010

stangman
Mar 13, 2003

frozenphil posted:

Hahaha! I thought that was you. The car is looking tits, man. What all have you done to it?
Thanks. Other than fixing up, not much. It's still where it was back then performance-wise (lots of bolt-ons, stock heads and cam). 186,000 miles now. I'm about to be on my 4th seat track but it's running as solid as ever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Plus, I like the way matte black steelies look, at least on my car.
I love how steelies look. I don't know what's wrong with me.

Getindachoppa!
Aug 21, 2005
Go! Now!
Just got her:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Getindachoppa! posted:

Just got her:

Nice - I almost bought one last year. What are you doing under the hood?

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
I may or may not post a project thread about this car this summer. I've had my 1986 Subaru XT for a little over a year, I bought it as a beater but it is really too nice/rare/rustfree to neglect.

What I have in store for it this summer is a center rear window louver (It has the side pieces, the center was missing) a new uncracked dashboard, and driver's seat rebuild. And about 50 miles a day, lots and lots of 80's music. Also going to put a trigger on the pistol shifter to play laser noises from an engine bay mounted speaker (more on that later)

It's a miniature Japanese Trans-Am designed for the U.S market! Pew pew! It owns, hard.

LaserDash 1986 with turbo triangles & volumetric cubes for some reason™

The interior from when I bought it, before I got rid of the autozone seat covers. The factory ones are cloth & rectangle patterned, had coffee/soda/80s stains that cleaned up.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

It has a JCWHITNEY spoiler with LEDZZ. The trunklid is also a spoiler. Yo dawg

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

The hi-tek console with cruise, CB and trip computer.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Getindachoppa!
Aug 21, 2005
Go! Now!

ab0z posted:

Nice - I almost bought one last year. What are you doing under the hood?

Thanks! That's my friend--when the car is at idle it makes a repetitive ticking sound almost like a clock. I later found out it is the fuel pump and its a completely normal noise, but at the time he was using that thing to somehow listen to it to figure out what it was. I don't know what he was doing.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Getindachoppa! posted:

Thanks! That's my friend--when the car is at idle it makes a repetitive ticking sound almost like a clock. I later found out it is the fuel pump and its a completely normal noise, but at the time he was using that thing to somehow listen to it to figure out what it was. I don't know what he was doing.

If it's what I think it is, it's sort of the reverse of the old hearing trumpets people used to use. Basically, it centers your hearing down to a very focused point so you can find out exactly where a noise is coming from.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I think this may be the only time my car will see snow in north TX.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

MikeyTsi posted:

If it's what I think it is, it's sort of the reverse of the old hearing trumpets people used to use. Basically, it centers your hearing down to a very focused point so you can find out exactly where a noise is coming from.

Kinda. You take any solid object, like a broom handle, screw driver, or a piece of metal and place one end against a part you think a noise is coming from and the other end on your jawbone right next to your ear. This makes it extremely easy to pinpoint where a noise is coming from in a cramped and noisy place like an engine bay. I've used it to listen for whether or not a tapping sound was coming from the rockers or a fuel injector and it works great.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

frozenphil posted:

Kinda. You take any solid object, like a broom handle, screw driver, or a piece of metal and place one end against a part you think a noise is coming from and the other end on your jawbone right next to your ear. This makes it extremely easy to pinpoint where a noise is coming from in a cramped and noisy place like an engine bay. I've used it to listen for whether or not a tapping sound was coming from the rockers or a fuel injector and it works great.

I love the scenes in Das Boot with the engineer who uses one of those. It's like him and that engine are the only things in the world who can understand the other.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Getindachoppa! posted:

Just got her:

Is that a...Malibu SS? I didn't know they existed.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Matlock posted:

Cobalt SS

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Some updated pictures.

Well the most updated pictures I have, I took the spoiler off a few days after I took those, it was super lose and was letting water into the trunk, and the screws it was mounted with were stripped.

ohh and I pulled out this thing

and swapped out the innards.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

bung posted:

Cobalt SS

That explains it. The perspective made me think it was a bigger car.

indecision
May 17, 2009

MATLAB 1988 posted:

I want this so god drat much...you have no idea.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

1986 Rustang 5.0, been searching for a solid four eyed fox for a few months. Found one last week about 3 hours from my house. Drove it home in 20 degree weather with both windows down, due to a slight exhaust leak :rolleyes:. Very solid car, just needs paint and a lot of tlc. Had a 86 5.0 in high school, froze my rear end off with no radio and was smiling the whole time driving that three eyed battle axe home last week.

sk8bored
May 23, 2007

plecostomus posted:

You have the best colour, BRG :britain:
Um.....have to disagree i am partial to Storm Titanium. Just finished getting it setup for Auto-x this year.

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

Pipkin posted:

Wait, a Mk3 with missing foglights and rubstrips?! :haw:

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
Just picked this up for $23.5k (+TTL) the other day.

2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track M/T. It was a defaulted lease with 15k miles on it. I know the pic isn't that great, but I kind of like the way it looks all dark and stealth-like.

Here's the interior:

I'll try to get some better pics if anyone wants.

Meatsicle fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 18, 2010

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I love how steelies look. I don't know what's wrong with me.
Nothing at all, man. Don't hide your love, there's no shame here.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

I may or may not post a project thread about this car this summer. I've had my 1986 Subaru XT for a little over a year, I bought it as a beater but it is really too nice/rare/rustfree to neglect.
Pew pew! It owns, hard.

indecision posted:

I want this so god drat much...you have no idea.

gently caress yes. I have mixed emotions about your Subaru Spaceship. On the one hand, I'm very happy to hear you're taking good care of her. On the other, I'm insanely jealous. Your car owns insanely hard.

Requesting video of that dash in action.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Matlock posted:

Malibu SSes exist.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ziploc posted:

Malibu SSes exist.

Hell yes they do.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Contraband posted:

Wait, a Mk3 with missing foglights and rubstrips?! :haw:

The foglights are there and functional. I don't get the rubstrips part? :ohdear:

edit: You meant the thingy that goes between the blinker and foglight. It wont stay on so its in the trunk. Thanks for that lovely design, VW. I found long foglights to fix the problem but I have a couple other more important things to fix first.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 18, 2010

sacre
Jan 26, 2007

Meatsicle posted:

Just picked this up for $23.5k (+TTL) the other day.

2010 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track M/T. It was a defaulted lease with 15k miles on it. I know the pic isn't that great, but I kind of like the way it looks all dark and stealth-like.

Here's the interior:

I'll try to get some better pics if anyone wants.

That is such a good looking car. Nice work!

ronaldrape
Mar 3, 2006

I've always thought that I would be an exception to the Mazda curse, since I mostly lurk the forums. The curse shows no mercy.

It's a 2008 mazda3 hatch that I found with low mileage, a reasonable price, and a standard transmission.

:smith:
Big chunk of ice fell off of a car that was two or three lengths in front of me on the freeway. I couldn't avoid it without sideswiping another car, and now a new rim and tire is costing me $550. The car is four days old.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

ronaldrape posted:

Big chunk of ice fell off of a car that was two or three lengths in front of me on the freeway. I couldn't avoid it without sideswiping another car, and now a new rim and tire is costing me $550. The car is four days old.

Surely you can find 1 wheel and 1 tire for less than $550.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Csixtyfour posted:

1986 Rustang 5.0, been searching for a solid four eyed fox for a few months. Found one last week about 3 hours from my house. Drove it home in 20 degree weather with both windows down, due to a slight exhaust leak :rolleyes:. Very solid car, just needs paint and a lot of tlc. Had a 86 5.0 in high school, froze my rear end off with no radio and was smiling the whole time driving that three eyed battle axe home last week.

I had the same car, and the front bumper was a loving pain in the rear end to find a replacement for. 4-Eyes for life!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

TurboLuvah posted:

I had the same car, and the front bumper was a loving pain in the rear end to find a replacement for. 4-Eyes for life!

You didn't look hard enough. The fox body cars have almost as many restoration parts available as the early Mustangs.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

ronaldrape posted:

I had some larger wheels on an old Altima and I bent one of the rims on a pothole but I found a local place that repaired the it for about $100.

ronaldrape
Mar 3, 2006

The $550 was actually the most reasonable. The Mazda dealership wanted $900. I'm having the old tire put on a refurbished rim right now for $250. The tire was fine with no bulging or anything. Anyone have any input on refurbished OEM wheels? The rim looked fine and its saving me quite a bit.

Smittykins
Jan 29, 2010

sk8bored posted:

Um.....have to disagree i am partial to Storm Titanium. Just finished getting it setup for Auto-x this year.

I looked at an Elise in this color, and it's wayyyy better than silver. I definitely like it on your Exige, but I wasn't as much of a fan on the Elise; for some reason I just don't think it fits the Elise's character as well as it does the Exige's.
(I know that sounds new-agey and such, but it's true.)

I've been thinking of doing that rear badge switch (like they have on the Euro models) -- how easy was it to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ronaldrape posted:

The tire was fine with no bulging or anything. Anyone have any input on refurbished OEM wheels? The rim looked fine and its saving me quite a bit.

Different people will tell you different things. I've taken my aluminum winter wheels to this place to have serious (much worse than what you had) bends repaired:
http://rimandwheelworks.com/straighten.html
I don't really like the owners there, but the setup they have is very good. Note that they claim they can repair even magnesium wheels, which I find hard to believe. It was $100 a wheel for me and the balance with them now is fine. e: I don't believe it'll ever be as good or as strong as before, but I don't expect the wheel to spontaneously crack and destroy itself from normal driving over the rough roads of Boston.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 18, 2010