Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
I just recently rewatched the 1990 Royal Rumble and Beefcake was over like rover with the fans. Huge pop on entrance and then when he put the Genius to sleep it was crazy.

Also Ventura got a great line in when the fans were chanting "human being" at the Genius: "All the fans here out to support Brutus Beefcake who's from San Francisco."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
He looked pretty bad-rear end as the Disciple at first.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

apsouthern posted:

Exploding Anus Death Match

Just want to reiterate that this is not made up and was actually enforced. I'm a huge Hayabusa mark but God the H poo poo was heinous.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Critical posted:

Just want to reiterate that this is not made up and was actually enforced. I'm a huge Hayabusa mark but God the H poo poo was heinous.

I remember Zach Arnold reporting on this when it was announced. For years I have referenced it but I am glad I never, ever saw it.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Exploding Anus Match does sound pretty hardcore. But I've actually seen a match where people bumped onto loving hypodermic needles. And the worst part was the needle spot didn't even end the match.

Then of course, there is the legendary Chris Bosh Suck My Cock match. Hardcore in a totally different way.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Exploding Anus Match does sound pretty hardcore. But I've actually seen a match where people bumped onto loving hypodermic needles. And the worst part was the needle spot didn't even end the match.

Then of course, there is the legendary Chris Bosh Suck My Cock match. Hardcore in a totally different way.

The hypodermic needles were used in the "Saw Deathmatch" between Drake Younger and Thumbtack Jack; ostensibly promoted by wXw, but in actuality is just in somebodies garage and back alley. There was also, IIRC, a razor blade chair and an electric drill.

Deathmatch wrestling always has bizarre stipulations such as (and these are the official titles)

Burning Coffin Death Match
200 Carpet Strip Death Match
Hot Coals & Lit Cigarettes Match
Barefoot poo poo You Don't Want To Step On Death Match
Bed of Nails and Anything With Nails On Them Match
Taipei Death & poo poo That Hurts When You Get It In Your Cuts Match
Ultraviolent Boxes, Squared Circle Of Fear & Whatever The gently caress Is Left Match
200 Light Tubes, Panes of Glass, and All the Other poo poo in the Back We Could Find Match

And I did see a Drunken Death Match between Necro Butcher and (I think) JC Bailey, where the stipulation was that they had to stop every 2 minutes and take a shot of tequila

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

I remember Zach Arnold reporting on this when it was announced. For years I have referenced it but I am glad I never, ever saw it.

The silly thing is it was part of a loving awesome multi-year feud that FMW was famous for. Check it:

Hayabusa and Mr. Gannosuke train together, are good friends, and develop a rivalry that turns amazingly hostile. After Hayabusa wins a particularly grueling and (non death)match, he tells Gannosuke to stop being a silly human being and extends his hand in friendship. Gannosuke fakes him out and puts the boots to him. That poo poo happens all the time here but people lose their minds in Japan about it because of their beliefs in honor.

They have another match and 'Busa goes over again clean with a Falcon Arrow in the middle of the ring. He is presented flowers in the victory ceremony. The person presenting said flowers, however, is in cahoots with Gannosuke and smashes the vase over 'Busa's head. They then strip him naked and drag him around the ring with a chain and a dog collar.

This is where it gets amazing.

Haybusa snaps, sheds his persona and becomes H. He loses his mask and trades in his Sabu pants for daisy duke shorts and a big loving falcon-like tattoo on his upper chest. Mr. Gannosuke then proceeds to steal H's old gimmick, becoming Hayabusa and claiming he has been the whole time. Same mask, same outfit, same ring music.

H goes loving bonkers and challenges Gannosuke to the aforementioned Anal Explosion match. The winner is determined when a bottle rocket is placed between your opponents rear end cheeks, is lit, and explodes. H loses and receives the rectal ramifications. All the propellant explodes out the back of the rocket, so while it probably didn't feel all that great, it was safe and a lot less gruesome than you're thinking.

A few weeks after this H and Gannosuke now brawl through the crowd where H goes bonkers and starts bodyslamming fans onto chairs and throwing haymakers at anyone near. Apparently getting punched by a wrestler is an honor in Japan so he didn't get his dick sued stiff. At least that's what Mick Foley says.

The blow off is a Match between H and Gannosuke with Shawn Motherfucking Michaels as the special guest referee. H wins, and after the match, Gannosuke does what he should have done in the first place and finally shakes his hand. HBK then cuts a promo about how FMW will be the #1 promotion in years to come because of the talent and sportsmanship. They were out of business a few years later and the head booker hung himself.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Critical posted:

The silly thing is it was part of a loving awesome multi-year feud that FMW was famous for. Check it:

Hayabusa and Mr. Gannosuke train together, are good friends, and develop a rivalry that turns amazingly hostile. After Hayabusa wins a particularly grueling and (non death)match, he tells Gannosuke to stop being a silly human being and extends his hand in friendship. Gannosuke fakes him out and puts the boots to him. That poo poo happens all the time here but people lose their minds in Japan about it because of their beliefs in honor.

They have another match and 'Busa goes over again clean with a Falcon Arrow in the middle of the ring. He is presented flowers in the victory ceremony. The person presenting said flowers, however, is in cahoots with Gannosuke and smashes the vase over 'Busa's head. They then strip him naked and drag him around the ring with a chain and a dog collar.

This is where it gets amazing.

Haybusa snaps, sheds his persona and becomes H. He loses his mask and trades in his Sabu pants for daisy duke shorts and a big loving falcon-like tattoo on his upper chest. Mr. Gannosuke then proceeds to steal H's old gimmick, becoming Hayabusa and claiming he has been the whole time. Same mask, same outfit, same ring music.

H goes loving bonkers and challenges Gannosuke to the aforementioned Anal Explosion match. The winner is determined when a bottle rocket is placed between your opponents rear end cheeks, is lit, and explodes. H loses and receives the rectal ramifications. All the propellant explodes out the back of the rocket, so while it probably didn't feel all that great, it was safe and a lot less gruesome than you're thinking.

A few weeks after this H and Gannosuke now brawl through the crowd where H goes bonkers and starts bodyslamming fans onto chairs and throwing haymakers at anyone near. Apparently getting punched by a wrestler is an honor in Japan so he didn't get his dick sued stiff. At least that's what Mick Foley says.

The blow off is a Match between H and Gannosuke with Shawn Motherfucking Michaels as the special guest referee. H wins, and after the match, Gannosuke does what he should have done in the first place and finally shakes his hand. HBK then cuts a promo about how FMW will be the #1 promotion in years to come because of the talent and sportsmanship. They were out of business a few years later and the head booker hung himself.

Every time somebody here explains a japanese wrestling angle I confuse it with somebody describing their most recent acid trip. I know about the ladder, but how many other inanimate objects have had a title reign?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Why does WWE hate us?

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Because we don't buy enough merchandise.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Jerusalem posted:

As a kid I genuinely enjoyed the Brutus Beefcake/Outlaw Ron Bass feud, which started with Bass taking the spurs to Beefcake's face (one of the most :gonk: memories of my childhood) and ended with Beefcake putting Bass to sleep, then cutting up his cowboy hat and dancing around goofily in the ring.

Beefcake was my favorite wrestler as a kid.. I try my best to avoid going watch and watching matches from that era, i dont want all my chilhood memories spoiled by watching how bad some of that stuff was

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The A-Team Van posted:

Why does WWE hate us?

WWE Loves us, its just that we make them hit us.

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS
Been watching some Nitro's from January 1999 and have a quick question about this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZpteGbxWo

What's the back story with Pepe Chavo's horse was it just a stupid Al Snow Head type gimmick? Norman Smiley is hilarious in this video.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

gibsonisacripple posted:

What's the back story with Pepe Chavo's horse was it just a stupid Al Snow Head type gimmick?

Pretty much exactly that.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The A-Team Van posted:

Why does WWE hate us?

Because we're on the Internet.

My question is why is the WWE's hiring/firing process so loving arbitrary?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

gibsonisacripple posted:

Been watching some Nitro's from January 1999 and have a quick question about this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZpteGbxWo

What's the back story with Pepe Chavo's horse was it just a stupid Al Snow Head type gimmick? Norman Smiley is hilarious in this video.

Chavo basically just had a gimmick of being a bit nuts because Eddie kept pressuring him into being a "real" Guerrero, ie. lying, cheating and stealing and Chavo couldn't handle it so he snapped.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This question may sound stupid because I seriously know very little about pre-Hogan wrestling. I was looking through a list of Wrestling Observer's "Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic" award that was posted in another thread. What was wrong with Bob Backlund's title reign to give it the award in 1982?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

crankdatbatman posted:

This question may sound stupid because I seriously know very little about pre-Hogan wrestling. I was looking through a list of Wrestling Observer's "Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic" award that was posted in another thread. What was wrong with Bob Backlund's title reign to give it the award in 1982?

Well, two things to consider

1. At that point, the Observer was really just given to Dave's friends and
2. Backlund was the Cena of his time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

crankdatbatman posted:

Backlund had held the title for about 5 years at that point. Except, he didn't have Bruno's charisma, wasn't the draw he was, and was well... boring. Imagine a year long Shelton Benjamin reign.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MassRayPer posted:

Backlund had held the title for about 5 years at that point. Except, he didn't have Bruno's charisma, wasn't the draw he was, and was well... boring. Imagine a year long Shelton Benjamin reign.

How is that disgusting? Sounds more like just...bad booking.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Vinnie Mac wasn't in full swing yet, so that was the only thing that qualified as offensive at the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

crankdatbatman posted:

How is that disgusting? Sounds more like just...bad booking.

The first few years of the award it mostly just went to dumb angles or bad booking. It wasn't until wrestling started exploiting deaths that it was really about the most DISGUSTING.

Bikeage
Nov 10, 2009
So ECW goes off the air tonight. The last WWE show that got cancelled was Heat in '08, and Velocity got axed a year or two before, but those weren't legit brands like ECW has been painted as. Was the last major show to go off the air... the original ECW on TNN?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WCW Nitro, WCW Thunder, WCW Worldwide, WCW Saturday Night.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

LividLiquid posted:

WCW Nitro, WCW Thunder, WCW Worldwide, WCW Saturday Night.

That reminds me, Worldwide was actually the last Turner WCW production to air, since it was on a one week delay.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Critical posted:

HBK then cuts a promo about how FMW will be the #1 promotion in years to come because of the talent and sportsmanship. They were out of business a few years later and the head booker hung himself.

Wrestling in a nutshell

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

apsouthern posted:

And I did see a Drunken Death Match between Necro Butcher and (I think) JC Bailey, where the stipulation was that they had to stop every 2 minutes and take a shot of tequila

It was Necro and Corporal Robinson during the 2002 TPI, and it's less of a graphic death match and more two guys who drink a ton and occasionally hit each other. Plus you get up close shots of Necro puking after the match. Dean gave it a million billion stars and I find it hard to disagree with that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bikeage posted:

So ECW goes off the air tonight. The last WWE show that got cancelled was Heat in '08, and Velocity got axed a year or two before, but those weren't legit brands like ECW has been painted as. Was the last major show to go off the air... the original ECW on TNN?

Pro Wrestling NOAH on NTV last spring, Pro Wrestling had been on NTV for decades.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

C. Everett Koop posted:

It was Necro and Corporal Robinson during the 2002 TPI, and it's less of a graphic death match and more two guys who drink a ton and occasionally hit each other. Plus you get up close shots of Necro puking after the match. Dean gave it a million billion stars and I find it hard to disagree with that.

The TPI is a hell of a tournament.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Wazzu posted:

The TPI is a hell of a tournament.

Can't argue with that - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hflWN79amYc

Just think how good it could be if a better company ran it

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Because we're on the Internet.

My question is why is the WWE's hiring/firing process so loving arbitrary?

Because professional wrestling, is, by nature, an arbitrary and petty business.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CM Junk posted:

Because professional wrestling, is, by nature, an arbitrary and petty business.

Yeah, but that's expected of a weekly territory in Shitsplat, TN that runs in armories and flea markets. You'd think something as corporate in every other respect as WWE would have more of their poo poo together in Human Resources.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Considering the people who run creative and talent, in addition to Vince himself, still have their roots in the carny territory days, it'll be a while until that dies out.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*
When did WWE start altering/adding in crowd noise to shows?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Germ Incubator posted:

Once the technology to do so was developed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

To be fair, this was way more a WCW thing.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*

Capsaicin posted:

Well I gathered, I was hoping for a more specific time haha.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
How did Undertaker's "Ministry" heel turn come about? I remember him fighting Austin at SummerSlam '98 and it was kind of a face vs. face mutual respect thing. Next thing I remember he's strapping Austin to the giant Undertaker symbol, and turning Mabel into a zombie at the Royal Rumble. Even after that he was fighting off Vince's guys for the most part (before the Corporate Minsitry formed in classic RUSSO SWERVE fashion) so I'm just trying to figure out at what point the turn actually happened.

And after that, he was basically the heel AmishTaker until he got injured and returned as BikerTaker, right? Or did something else happen in between there that I forgot?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

To be fair, this was way more a WCW thing.

yeah, the earliest I heard of this was piped-in "GOLDBERG!" chants in arenas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Germ Incubator posted:

Does always count? Go watch an old Saturday Night's Main Event where Akeem takes on Brutus Beefcake or something equally boring and the crowd is dead in the background but the crowd noise is through the roof.