Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Reaper has a pretty great mini line for D&D models. You may have to do a weapon swap to get the exact combo you want, but that is usually not a big deal. Privateer Press (Warmachine/Hordes) also has some things that can work. Though the Warmachine line is often a bit too high tech, it works pretty well in a steampunk setting obviously.

The mini linked there by Lazerbeak could pretty easily have a shield thrown on and the axe changed into a mace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

NecronSchmecron posted:

I've been working on these sternguard little by little each week but there is some progress. I will be taking a better pic with a wonderous white background upon completion, which should be by this weekend ::fingers crossed::

These look great! Looking forward to a closer/brighter shot.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chenghiz posted:

These look great! Looking forward to a closer/brighter shot.

poo poo how did I miss these?

They look awesome but honestly without being told, at first glance I'd have thought they were regular tacticals, not sternguard. Obviously the combi-meltas give it away but I generally think of sternguard as being more blinged out. Still great especially considering they appear to be converted Black Reach dudes.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
I didn't notice that either. If they're Sternguard they should probably have white helmets or whatever Salamanders do for veterans.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I've never seen any GW fluff or pictures that indicates Salamander vets have different helmets. Plus I think white would look out of place in the color scheme. I've seen some people use black, or even orange, but most just leave the helmets green. Crux shoulderpads would be appropriate of course but since these are BR tacticals those are out. The generally accepted way to show veterans is to paint additional flame honor markings somewhere on the armor. (Technically all Salamanders should have a flame marking on their right shoulder pad. I don't do it because I suck rear end at freehand.)I think the old IA article specifically mentions veteran sergeants have one black kneepad with flame marking, for example. Captains, etc would have more markings on their armor.

So bottom line is paint some flames on the dudes- shoulderpads, greaves, etc. It may be too late to suggest things such as tabards, extra purity seals, or box mags, but those would help a lot too.

jesus get me talking about salamanders and I can be as bad as BL

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Gentlemen, they are PiP. They have assloads of bling on their shoulders and will be getting flames on their right shoulders along with 5 kneepads. The Sgt and one or two other guys have tapestries (whatever you want to call them) which I will be painting like lizard skin (scales.) They will be similarly painted to my captain.

(sorry if I've posted these before, can't remember)

You are all correct, They aren't the best sternguard conversions. I had planned on only converting some since I wanted some plastic sternguard. Plus it was a fun little project. I have tons of AoBR marines and blinged them out a little bit with the extra bits from my tactical marines. They will definitely stand out over my regular tactical squads, don't you worry.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 17, 2010

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's cool dude, we're all just trying to offer useful advice instead of B&C style circle-jerkery that benefits no one. Your stuff is still great and certainly better than my Salamanders.

Fitret
Mar 25, 2003

We are rolling for the King of All Cosmos!
Thanks for the Reaper Minis suggestion! I had looked at them before, but was never impressed by their models on the front page. After taking a second look some of these look like they'll definitely work so I ordered a couple.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Reaper has a huge range of stuff, and while some of it can be pretty dumpy a lot of it is actually quite nice. Their casting quality is good and their prices are pretty decent. They are also great for weird random one-off pieces. Like 'Man being eaten by swarm of beetles' and 'seriously overloaded peasant'.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Why did I get it into my head that Howling Griffins would be a good idea?
:cry:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
^^^Because they're pretty damned cool! I pray for you brave sir.

Fyrbrand posted:

It's cool dude, we're all just trying to offer useful advice instead of B&C style circle-jerkery that benefits no one. Your stuff is still great and certainly better than my Salamanders.

My laziness to shave the mold lines distracts from the paint. I really wish I had a better idea for the helmets than just plain ol' green though. I saw others with the white and orange like you mentioned but I thought they were only okay.

Black seems cool, but ugh, the highlighting. I already have to do the backpacks and joints. As you can see on the landraider, my highlights can be a bit thick. I've been experimenting with using super thin paint to correct that. I've corrected my hand shaking for the most part but still got twitches here and there and the lines will get thicker.

Also, Fyrbrand. I've seen your stuff before. It's good. I don't remember seeing your Vulkan though. Care to post a picture? Here's mine.

I want to rework him a little bit. Definitely replace the shoulderpad. He also needs to be cleaned up a little. For now, though, he's been good to me.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 18, 2010

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Asciana posted:

cause the babdab war is one of the few cool pieces of space marine fluff

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Respect to anyone doing a halved or quartered pattern, it's very frustrating to do. On the other hand it looks amazing when done well. I think PV had some sweet squads like that.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
I've no idea what color to highlight the Merchrite Red with. Washed the whole red armor with Baal red and shaded the recesses with Devlan mud. I tried some P3 Skorne Red, and I tried Blood red but they seem to be a little bright. Any suggestions?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Asciana posted:

I've no idea what color to highlight the Merchrite Red with. Washed the whole red armor with Baal red and shaded the recesses with Devlan mud. I tried some P3 Skorne Red, and I tried Blood red but they seem to be a little bright. Any suggestions?

I would try blood red and then wash with baal red. I've found that washing on top of highlights tends to help blend them in.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Maybe mix a little mechrite with an orange color. not too bright like firey orange though.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Asciana posted:

Howling Griffons own, you own. Stick to it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey Crime Fighting Hog, did you get a chance to try out the ink yet? I was wondering how it worked out for you.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fix posted:

Hey Crime Fighting Hog, did you get a chance to try out the ink yet? I was wondering how it worked out for you.

I was actually thinking about it earlier, but no things keep coming up. gently caress having 3 jobs and being a full-time student. I'll hopefully get to it tomorrow night though!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Asciana posted:

Here comes the PV broken record of "why not white primer?"

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Here comes the PV broken record of "why not white primer?"

I didnt want super bright colours so figured black primer was the way to go.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

NecronSchmecron posted:

I really wish I had a better idea for the helmets than just plain ol' green though.

I can't remember where (and google gets nothing) but I saw some Salamander vets with yellow helmets once. They looked pretty good, and it'd definitely help them stand out from your regular marines.

Flying Guillotine
Dec 29, 2005

by angerbot

Asciana posted:

Because they are a good idea. A great idea, in fact, and you are a man among men for choosing to paint an army of them.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Asciana posted:

I didnt want super bright colours so figured black primer was the way to go.

well, you can still use those foundations over white, they will just cover easier because you can thin them more. But anwyays, regardless:

mechrite red highlight...Id probably mix a little blood red into it, or dwarf flesh or orange if youre feeling funky

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oi, PV, what was the silver spray you used for your grey knights?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fix posted:

Oi, PV, what was the silver spray you used for your grey knights?

Probably the silver metal Army Painter spray.

PretendWizard
Sep 18, 2008
I'm making my first gaming board and I was wondering where I could get cheap water effects or how to make my own.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

PaintVagrant posted:

well, you can still use those foundations over white, they will just cover easier because you can thin them more. But anwyays, regardless:

mechrite red highlight...Id probably mix a little blood red into it, or dwarf flesh or orange if youre feeling funky

i'm doing Talabecland on my Empire Swordsmen, and that's basically the howling griffons pattern but on little dudes in tights. I'm doing it over white primer and jesus loving christ i can't imagine doing this over black primer. I would probably stab myself in the eye with my brush

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
from my last post about it in the oath thread

here's the first batch

Click here for the full 1600x844 image.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Asciana posted:

Only horrible part is quartered schemes take sooo much longer to paint

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

My local store had a painting contest this month - one Gor. I tried a non-standard skin color, and it's not quite as purple in real life, but I like it. I tried to use PV's Ork metal technique but I think I drybrushed too much boltgun back on.

Of course, everyone else took painting competition to mean basing competition, so we'll see how well I do.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
On the subject of Salamanders Sternguard...

Bonus pictures of Vulkan "fix."

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
UGH! niiiice! I love em! I was going to do the dark elf capes for my honor guard, whenever I get around to making them with a Tu'Shan conversion.

I also love the repose on your Vulkan. That's the only reason why I didn't buy the Metal one to replace my conversion.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 18, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

bhsman posted:

silver metal Army Painter spray.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

BRAINS! posted:

I'm making my first gaming board and I was wondering where I could get cheap water effects or how to make my own.

gloss acrylic varnish

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
sternguard sergeant w/ PF one of GW's best models ever, qtiyd

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
Cross post from the Oath thread

I brought up a basing guide and did all the bases tonight. I'm not that thrilled with the grass, and will have to figure out how to get it to work a little better. Nevertheless I'm happy with the way they turned out overall and am gearing up for the march oath =)

Click here for the full 615x461 image.

Click here for the full 615x461 image.

jubelio fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 19, 2010

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting, since I didn't get an answer in the warhammer thread. I keep managing to post my questions in the middle of ongoing conversations like an idiot.

Cricondentherm posted:

Time for another question regarding my tyranid color scheme!

So, yesterday I came up with a scheme I wanted to try, green/darker green.

Enchanted Blue/Regal Blue (completely done, based, etc.):

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

With black claws. And not as dark as the picture makes it seem.

versus

Camo Green/Dark Angels Green (somewhat crappy because I tried some yellow and settled on brown, not based)

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

With bone claws. Again, not quite as dark as the picture.

So, green or blue? Both have brown piping(?) or whatever the unarmored patches are as a sort-of-placeholder. I like the brown, but I'm sure there's a better color. I've tried red gore and liche purple on the blue scheme and yellow on the green, but didn't like them as much.
I feel like the blue gaunt came out looking better and will make for a nice looking army. The green one is a test model and I like the scheme.

Unfortunately, I use the same green/dark green scheme on my lizardmen and I paint my marines as Dark Angels. I have an abundance of green (or would, if I ever painted everything).
Green is awesome, but blue is too.
Comments on the piping, claws, or whatever would be great. I'm currently leaning towards bone claws since I can do them pretty easily now.

Any help is appreciated, since I'm indecisive as hell. :commissar:

Sorry for all these posts, I just want to make sure I pick a great scheme and thought I'd ask strangers for help.

Currently, I'm leaning more towards the blue scheme with bone colored claws. Mainly for a little bit of variety over my green marines. I am still open to ideas though I'd like to stay away from anything too similar to the main 3 tyranid schemes.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Oh god more crossposting...

C&C please, first powerarmoured dudes I've painted & I want to improve before I start on my terminators.

Edit^^ Nid dude, highlight the carapace dark grey on the blue nid & see how that looks first.

edit v2.0: It's a standard tactical marine torso.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Is that skull with wings torso a conversion or one of the standard CSM torsos?

• Locked thread