Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

luma posted:

Yup! What are those boxes on the top?

The top one is a Kaleidescape 1U Server and the bottom one is a Kaleidescape 1080P Player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asari
Jul 8, 2008
http://www.kaleidescape.com/

Movie server with 1080p upscaling movie player. Rips dvd's, uses RAID 5, and has a really nice interface.

EDIT: JERK

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

luma posted:

Yup! What are those boxes on the top?

Piles of money.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of those devices - is there anything significant that the Kaleidescape product does that 7MC doesn't do with the addition of a couple free plugins? Their pricing seems beyond the levels of normal AV absurdity.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

luma posted:

I'm trying to figure out the purpose of those devices - is there anything significant that the Kaleidescape product does that 7MC doesn't do with the addition of a couple free plugins? Their pricing seems beyond the levels of normal AV absurdity.

Kaleidescape makes products for wealthy people who want to record and watch DVDs without having to know anything about anything. If I put a PC in a customers home as a media player, I would be getting service calls every week. Now picture that times hundreds of houses.

My rack pc loaded with XBMC is used 90% of the time. I have a Kaleidescape system at home mainly to develop and enhance our touch screen interface with the product. I also got a really good deal on the system because it was a company demo.

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

Legdiian posted:

I rackmounted my 360, my PS3 and my Wii. Do I win? :)

Sweet jesus I just came. That is loving awesome.

Visual GNUdio
Aug 27, 2003

Legdiian posted:

I have a Kaleidescape system at home mainly to develop and enhance our touch screen interface with the product. I also got a really good deal on the system because it was a company demo.
That is an extraordinarily good reason to own a couple. Nice rack!

edit: Mind sharing with us what controllers you work with? Crestron/AMX or something else?

asari
Jul 8, 2008
Crestron

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Legdiian posted:

I rackmounted my 360, my PS3 and my Wii. Do I win? :)

Is it wrong that the first thing I thought is "drat that PS3 must be hot as gently caress"?

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

Trapdoor posted:

Excuse the mess, I'll clean it up... I swear :(

Click for full 1,904 x 2,114 pixels

Click for full 1,936 x 1,296 pixels

Specs

TV Sony Bravia KDL-40D3550 (40" LCD)
Receiver Yamaha RX-V590RDS (will be replaced early 2010)
Front speakers Proson Stratego Top 10 SAH
Rear speakers Infinity Reference 61i
Computer Intel Core i7 940, 12GB DDR3 ram, 6.8TB storage
HD-PVR
Xbox 360 Elite
Playstation 3

I do not know much about speakers, are mine any good? I've read reviews where people praise both of them but I've also heard claims that both brands were budget brands.

To the far left in the first picture there are 2 cables hanging from the roof, this is Cat6 ethernet cable going from the basement (im 2 floors up) and coax, they will both be rearranged to not be so ungodly distractive.

Finaly got to replace my reciver, got a NAD T-747 instead. It's rated (by NAD) at 7x60W but 5x141W has been measured.
Even with the Proson speakers, the difference is mindblowing, and well worth the $1300 I paid of it.

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa

Corzaa posted:

Is it wrong that the first thing I thought is "drat that PS3 must be hot as gently caress"?

yeah..

if you see a pic of the back it's wide open, the custom rack shelves LOOK like things are getting suffocated, but they have slits in them letting air pass through the shelf itself.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Legdiian posted:

The top one is a Kaleidescape 1U Server and the bottom one is a Kaleidescape 1080P Player.

care to share how much those things run? and is the server able to handle HD rips and new codecs? say MKV files? I'd love a solution like this for my mp3's and blu-ray rips but only if it can handle newer codecs.

I'm also looking for a price for the disc speed reader as it looks like a solution we've been looking for at work for ripping piles of CD's but I'm not finding any pricing online anywhere...

I guess if anyone knows of any other companies that make CD speed readers for ripping hundreds of CD's that'd be good to know about too. Some coworkers in our music licensing dept. are looking for a way to get the hundreds of promo CD's they receive on a monthly basis into a digital library efficiently.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 12, 2010

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
They are start around 10k and go up from there. The user can load their own DVDs and CDs. No HD, other than pre-loaded content.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Cornjob posted:

They are start around 10k and go up from there. The user can load their own DVDs and CDs. No HD, other than pre-loaded content.

ouch, nvm then... guess I'll look into good media center software. No way I'm paying that much for a rack of $100 HD's with a NIC and some proprietary software... especially if it's not going to support HD.

edit: here we go, I need this Zalman HTPC case and a nice media center app that looks like what the xstreamhd coverflow looks like http://www.xstreamhd.com/

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 12, 2010

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

MMD3 posted:

ouch, nvm then... guess I'll look into good media center software. No way I'm paying that much for a rack of $100 HD's with a NIC and some proprietary software... especially if it's not going to support HD.

You can do a fully-functional XBMC rig that'll output 5.1 and handle 1080p for about $300 + storage (and that assumes you buy an IR dongle and a flash drive for it). $10,000 is a joke.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Legdiian posted:

Kaleidescape makes products for wealthy people who want to record and watch DVDs without having to know anything about anything.

As I said before, Kaleidescape is not for everyone and I would not have one in my house if I didn't get a ridiculous deal on it.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Sorry in advance for my crappy pics. I'm working in a 10x10 bedroom with almost no light. I have an A/V question and there's no megathread it fits in. God I hope this is an okay place to put it.

I have recently moved my A/V setup into my bedroom in its entirety. What I once had spread across seven shelves in a three tower unit I now have on one shelf in a single tower.

Click here for the full 483x644 image.

It's not too pretty but it works. From the top, that's a trutech TV (some brand Target had on sale 2 years ago on Black Friday), a Sherwood RX-4103 Stereo Receiver, a Yamaha CDC-610U RS CD player, an Xbox 360, an original Xbox (soon to host XBMC), an NES, a Dreamcast, my laptop (currently displaying this thread on the TV up top), a Sega Saturn, and an HP printer. I haven't put the speakers in yet, I'm doing that tonight. Here's my problem:

Pulled away from the wall:

Is this going to kill me? Specifically this carabiner:

looks intensely overloaded. That's a mix of cables, some A/V, some power. I should be separating those, right? This is just begging for terrible things like interference and the holocaust, correct?

I really wish I had the room to separate this stuff, but I don't The rack to the right of this one is getting replaced within the week by a dresser, so moving things onto it is not really an option.

Yalc
Mar 5, 2003

Gayin it up itt

Plastik posted:

if you used about 200x more cable ties, and pulled everything tight, had power setup so it was all on a different side. AND had the cart setup so it just had one or two cables plug-in out side of it (power/Ethernet. And like black cloth or wood painted back behind it to keep your eyes from focusing on the noisy rack. It wouldn't look TOO bad and be functional in its a bad rear end portable station..

but drat man, NEED MORE WIRETIRES

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
If you aren't noticing any interference I wouldn't worry. The only item I would recommend checking is that you have a good quality multi-board for powering all of that. Basically don't use a $2 multi-board as they often suffer for serious problems.

One of the common things that I see in burn out houses is the fires that have started behind home theatre systems where a multi-board has shorted and caught on fire.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Devian666 posted:

If you aren't noticing any interference I wouldn't worry. The only item I would recommend checking is that you have a good quality multi-board for powering all of that. Basically don't use a $2 multi-board as they often suffer for serious problems.

One of the common things that I see in burn out houses is the fires that have started behind home theatre systems where a multi-board has shorted and caught on fire.

When you say multi-board you mean power strip, right?

If that is the case, then this system is attached to some pretty cheap multi-boards.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Well after reading this thread and seeing Huge_Midget's setup with the green I decided to paint my living room this weekend. Previous was all white (new house, builders dont like color).

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

dietcokefiend posted:

Well after reading this thread and seeing Huge_Midget's setup with the green I decided to paint my living room this weekend. Previous was all white (new house, builders dont like color).

two two chairs right in front of the tv look really pathetic. you should think about putting that couch there instead. it is a girl repellent.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

two two chairs right in front of the tv look really pathetic. you should think about putting that couch there instead. it is a girl repellent.

blow me

The couch is the most uncomfortable thing on the planet. The cushions basically turn into holy wafers after sitting on them for about 20 minutes. Its like sitting on an old lovely pillow. It has been like that since new (wasn't even a cheap couch, drat thing was like 1200 with a pullout bed) so until I can get those rebuilt custom its off to the side. Those IKEA chairs were a godsend and even though they cost like 40 bucks each they dont rape your back.

Right now this is just an interim solution until my basement is completed. Once that is done the living room will be turned into a living room and it will look more towards your definition of normal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa

Plastik posted:

Sorry in advance for my crappy pics. I'm working in a 10x10 bedroom with almost no light. I have an A/V question and there's no megathread it fits in. God I hope this is an okay place to put it.

I have recently moved my A/V setup into my bedroom in its entirety. What I once had spread across seven shelves in a three tower unit I now have on one shelf in a single tower.

It's not too pretty but it works. From the top, that's a trutech TV (some brand Target had on sale 2 years ago on Black Friday), a Sherwood RX-4103 Stereo Receiver, a Yamaha CDC-610U RS CD player, an Xbox 360, an original Xbox (soon to host XBMC), an NES, a Dreamcast, my laptop (currently displaying this thread on the TV up top), a Sega Saturn, and an HP printer. I haven't put the speakers in yet, I'm doing that tonight. Here's my problem:

looks intensely overloaded. That's a mix of cables, some A/V, some power. I should be separating those, right? This is just begging for terrible things like interference and the holocaust, correct?

I really wish I had the room to separate this stuff, but I don't The rack to the right of this one is getting replaced within the week by a dresser, so moving things onto it is not really an option.

Invest in zip ties, 8 and 12". What I would do is plug everything in to find out how much slack you need, then run each individual power cable up the main leg of the rack, then when you have to branch off the main leg, make what I call a "dog bone" (essentially a flattened out loop of excess wire/cable a zip tie on both ends and one in the middle effectively making what looks like a dog bone) out of the excess cable going to the back of the device.

But, for power it's not really critical.. and I assume that you're using cables that came with your devices, so they are probably shielded anyways, so I'm pretty sure you're in the clear, but yes... rule of thumb is always keep Audio and Video cables away from power.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

I can't tell, is that a weird reflection or do you still have the plastic on the corners of your TV?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Plastik posted:

When you say multi-board you mean power strip, right?

If that is the case, then this system is attached to some pretty cheap multi-boards.

I couldn't recall what the US term for multi-boards was. So, yes.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

dietcokefiend posted:

Hahaha, nice! Did you go with Artichoke?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Hahaha, nice! Did you go with Artichoke?

drat straight skippy ;)

TheMadMilkman posted:

I can't tell, is that a weird reflection or do you still have the plastic on the corners of your TV?

Its a Sony TV with the piano black glossy trim. Its just reflecting the white snow from outside.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Trapdoor posted:

Finaly got to replace my reciver, got a NAD T-747 instead. It's rated (by NAD) at 7x60W but 5x141W has been measured.
Even with the Proson speakers, the difference is mindblowing, and well worth the $1300 I paid of it.

I really, really want a new receiver with actual balls. My old NAD integrated 2-channel amp at 25w/channel pumped out more punchy bass (from the front 2 speakers, I mean) than my Onkyo 7.1 does now.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Plastik posted:

Get a roll of Velcro instead, zipties suck.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Sorry to derail this thread, but Huge_Midget, is there any way I can email you? I just got a Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 and I have a few questions to ask you.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

CitizenKain posted:

Get a roll of Velcro instead, zipties suck.

What, they're like $5 for a can of 500 or so. If you need to move things around then just chop off the old ones and put new ones on.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Sorry to derail this thread, but Huge_Midget, is there any way I can email you? I just got a Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 and I have a few questions to ask you.

Huge_Midget fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 18, 2010

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007
^^^^ for random information: Google will deliver to you no matter where or how many periods are in your email address. You don't actually need the dot. Protip: You can also add "+[anything you want]" before the @ and you'll still get it. Great for figuring out who is selling your email address.

kuffs posted:

What, they're like $5 for a can of 500 or so. If you need to move things around then just chop off the old ones and put new ones on.

I'll second the velcro. Chopping off zip ties is a huge pain in the rear end unless you want to keep a pair of side cutters behind your AV gear. A roll of velcro is like 7 bucks on Monoprice and makes life a helluva lot easier.

monkeybounce fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 17, 2010

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
Thanks Huge_Midget, I shot you an email so you can delete it from your post if you want.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Just mounted my TV on my stand [Salamander Synergy] tonight, I'm pretty pleased with the results but I was really pushing it by doing it alone. When I have a friend over I'm going to adjust it down 1-2 inches.

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

Sony STR-DA2400ES
Sony 40v4100
Tivo HD
PS3
Oppo 970
Speakers: Definitive ProMonitor 1000 [finally replaced my minipods!]

I'll post more when I get my center and sub.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Plastik posted:

You can clean that all up by using pegboard as a backing and cable-tying the everything neatly. See here for more details: http://www.flickr.com/photos/evoque/sets/72157607303548820/

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Dr JonboyG posted:

You can clean that all up by using pegboard as a backing and cable-tying the everything neatly. See here for more details: http://www.flickr.com/photos/evoque/sets/72157607303548820/

this is brilliant and I don't know how I didn't think of it sooner... thanks so much. My media rack is 74" tall black industrial post shelving. The TV lives in the middle, components/game systems below, dvds/games above. The wires look horrible through the shelving though so this should make for a great weekend project.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.

qirex posted:

Just mounted my TV on my stand [Salamander Synergy] tonight, I'm pretty pleased with the results but I was really pushing it by doing it alone. When I have a friend over I'm going to adjust it down 1-2 inches.

How do you like your Salamander furniture? I'm looking for some new A/V furniture, and while I really like the Salamander stuff, my wife isn't thrilled by the price.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good entertainment center or hutch? Ideally, I'd like something with an open spot for the center speaker and perforated/glass doors to keep our baby from unexpectedly cranking the volume on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Understeer posted:

How do you like your Salamander furniture? I'm looking for some new A/V furniture, and while I really like the Salamander stuff, my wife isn't thrilled by the price.
The price hasn't been that bad for me because I bought a plain Twin 20 in 2000 and have been adding to it ever since. The stuff is built super-well and it's very adjustable but yeah, it's pricey. There is a serious lack of decent A/V furniture out there. If you do go the Salamander route I got a good deal from these guys, I found them on AVSforum and saved a decent chunk of change.

One thing I will say is that the frosted door does not transmit IR very well, I'd definitely go for the perforated.