Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Psychorider posted:

It's probably just cleaning the cache. It can take quite a while if you've had it running for some time. To test it try closing opera, reopening it and then immediately closing it again. It should close pretty much instantly.

But why would this be the case of I have disk cache set to 20MB and the checkbox that says "Empty on exit" is not checked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

thrawn86 posted:

Come to think of it, the opera process ALWAYS takes 30-60 seconds to quit.
This doesn't sound right - from >6 hours of usage with ~15 tabs and 470 MB of ram the 10.10 process closes in ~5-8 seconds after disposing the window. If it's just disposing objects the time should be directly proportional to memory use. 30 to 60 seconds of shutdown time regardless of state happens on none of my machines with none of my opera installs.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

But why would this be the case of I have disk cache set to 20MB and the checkbox that says "Empty on exit" is not checked?

Don't ask me why but opera doesn't delete anything in the cache while it's running. If it's set to 20MB it deletes old stuff until there's only 20MB left in it. If you check "Empty on exit" then it deletes everything when you exit. Sometimes I don't close it for weeks and I end up with over a gig in the cache until I close it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Ugh. Okay that's ridiculous but at least it explains everything. Maybe I'll try just disabling disk cache, unless that means "use disk cache and delete everything when you exit." :sigh:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Psychorider posted:

Don't ask me why but opera doesn't delete anything in the cache while it's running. If it's set to 20MB it deletes old stuff until there's only 20MB left in it. If you check "Empty on exit" then it deletes everything when you exit. Sometimes I don't close it for weeks and I end up with over a gig in the cache until I close it.

It finally makes sense. I always wondered why that happened.

mcyahwe
Apr 24, 2009

by Ozma

thrawn86 posted:

opera has always been a memory hog for me. I have a few google searches and gmail running, and I'm at 360. (10.10) Come to think of it, the opera process ALWAYS takes 30-60 seconds to quit. blazing fast once it actually manages to start back up, however.
I had the same problem when running WinXP, usually just ended the process instead, on Win7 it closes instantly. Probably something with how WinXp manages memory.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mustach posted:

Sounds like you got some bugs.

Could you help me with a bit of troubleshooting. What do you have for the shortcut on your "find as you type" inline find? Is it "Find Inline", "Find Inline, 1", "Find Inline, 2" or "Find" or something else? Because I'm trying everything and nothing is working for me.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Submitting a bug. My shortcuts are the same as yours but my find isn't working like yours at all.

Edit: Just did a reinstall and it's all the same.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 16, 2010

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Man, we had new builds every day and even multiple some days last week and now it's nothing since the Beta. I was getting all spoiled. :(

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Lakitu7 posted:

Man, we had new builds every day and even multiple some days last week and now it's nothing since the Beta. I was getting all spoiled. :(

Betas generally need to be more stable because they're much more widely advertised. If you don't follow the Opera Desktop Team blog, it's unlikely you would have seen any of the pre-alphas, but the 10.50 beta is linked from the main Opera download page.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Is anyone elses Opera Beta really unstable? Mine crashes way too often to be my every day browser. I wonder if it's because I've been updating after each of the builds, maybe I should wipe it and reinstall the beta.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
I've found that the important thing when you've having crashy test versions and want to start over, is not cleaning out the program install directory, but getting rid of your configuration and profile information in your application data folder.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
Does the beta allow anyone to use images on the desktop as wallpapers? It does nothing when I try to set an image as a wallpaper.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Stop moaning about lack of updates, there's a new snapshot out! Lots of 'general fixes' apparently.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Rightclick | "Go to web address" is still broken :(

Well, here's to random unspecified stability and memory improvements :)

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Lakitu7 posted:

Rightclick | "Go to web address" is still broken :(

Well, here's to random unspecified stability and memory improvements :)

The mouse gesture for copy link still seems to be broken as well. However, they seem to have fixed the GDI leak. What's a normal memory usage for a web browser? Right now, with 7 tabs open, it's using 243 MB.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Anunnaki posted:

The mouse gesture for copy link still seems to be broken as well. However, they seem to have fixed the GDI leak. What's a normal memory usage for a web browser? Right now, with 7 tabs open, it's using 243 MB.

Memory usage in Opera is a tricky thing, because if you set the memory cache to "auto" it will gobble up free memory to expand the cache and make browsing faster. This is by design, obviously, and you can turn it off if you don't like it doing that.

The problem people have been seeing with the 10.50 series so far is leaks in the creation/release of GDI objects, which is an entirely different thing and unrelated to how much memory it's using.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone been having issues with in-page searches (the ones where you hit . and start typing)? I'll hit . and type and nothing will happen until I physically click the 'find next' button.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Aunt Beth posted:

Has anyone been having issues with in-page searches (the ones where you hit . and start typing)? I'll hit . and type and nothing will happen until I physically click the 'find next' button.

You're in the minority with that, but there's another guy some replies back that is having the same issue. You two should try to compare your setups and see if you can narrow down why you have it and most of us don't.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Another crash-fixing build!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

quote:

Known issues
The Advanced section of the Preferences dialog is corrupted

I think I'll skip this one :gonk:

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Yeah, it's not great.

EDIT - found this in the desktop blog post comments:

quote:

Preferences dialog can be fixed by editing ui\dialog.ini file.

Find "Widget_notification_checkbox" (there are two lines with that string next to each other) and remove ", End" from first line.

Works a treat.

Kameleon fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 18, 2010

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This doesn't sound right - from >6 hours of usage with ~15 tabs and 470 MB of ram the 10.10 process closes in ~5-8 seconds after disposing the window. If it's just disposing objects the time should be directly proportional to memory use. 30 to 60 seconds of shutdown time regardless of state happens on none of my machines with none of my opera installs.

yeah I don't know, my computer/opera runs 24/7 and its always been sluggish to quit and especially to open, on every install/machine I've had since XP.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

thrawn86 posted:

yeah I don't know, my computer/opera runs 24/7 and its always been sluggish to quit and especially to open, on every install/machine I've had since XP.
Yeah, as others have mentioned its likely an xp vs vista issue, all my pcs here run 7 or vista.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
New build with a ton of fixes

quote:

Fixed DSK-261896 (Freezes, and ghost feed items after restart)
Very glad to see that finally fixed.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Interesting known issues too:

quote:

Scrolling on pages with plugins leaks GDI handles

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah, as others have mentioned its likely an xp vs vista issue, all my pcs here run 7 or vista.

this is including 7, which I'm on right now (desktop and mobile). actually Opera's been causing me a lot of grief on my tablet coming in and out of sleep mode. It normally wakes up in <5 seconds, but today the screen sat black for close to a minute, and when it woke up it was unresponsive and opera was sitting at 100%.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I love that Opera link makes 10.5 feel so close to 10.10 but why oh why can't it carry my feed list over?

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005
Looks like Opera might need to rush out 10.5 to get it as a 'browser ballot' choice:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8524019.stm

quote:

Millions of European Internet Explorer (IE) users will have the option to choose an alternative browser from 1 March, Microsoft has announced.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Opera open sources Dragonfly.

Opera Software posted:

Since the inception of Opera Dragonfly, we planned for it to become an open source project. It has always been released under an open source BSD licence, but the source repositories were on Opera servers. Starting today, Opera Dragonfly is a fully open source project, hosted on BitBucket. Since the previous version of Opera Dragonfly, a lot of work has gone on behind the scenes replacing the existing architecture with a modern version of the Scope Protocol – STP-1. Opera Dragonfly has been rewritten to use this faster and more efficient version of Scope. Now that we believe that the underlying protocol is stable and performant, and a public desktop build has been released with this included, it is time to put Opera Dragonfly on a public Mercurial repository.

If you have a Mercurial client you can visit the Opera Dragonfly STP-1 repository and check out the source code. We have provided initial documentation in the Wiki to get you started. This is Opera’s first full open source project, so there will be a learning curve. We ask you to bear with us while we get everything up and running and policies in place. Coming from a closed source background there are some hurdles to overcome, such as the current bug tracking system being on a closed server. We hope to migrate to an open bug tracking system as the project gets on its feet.

They're obviously trying to fight off Firebug. Hope this works out for them.

Farts Domino posted:

I love that Opera link makes 10.5 feel so close to 10.10 but why oh why can't it carry my feed list over?

I would like that as well. I get by with having a feed list as a note but it's not nearly the same.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Sergeant Hobo posted:

I would like that as well. I get by with having a feed list as a note but it's not nearly the same.
I haven't installed the beta over my email/rss-install on my work machine yet. Does the beta delete that or what?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is it a known issue that Opera 10.10 does not allow QuickTime Movies to be downloaded?

I just updated to 10.10. I seem to have lost the ability to download embedded movies (works n Safari for the same page). (Search yields some people reporting similar problems with the only proposed solution being don't use QT, which is all well and good but.

(After downbgrading to 9.64, I have found that yes indeed it is a 10.10 bug. Dammit, Now my mail is broken, and my personal bar is whacked)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 20, 2010

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is there a way to zero out the Opera Link on their servers? I stopped using it a while back because it never stopped duplicating everything, but I need to down grade to 9.64 to get back the broken QuickTime functionality.

Edit: (Rube Goldberg method)
1. Create new account on computer.
2. Synchronize with Opera Link on New account.
3. Erase all bookmarks Notes and Speed Dials on local computer.
4. Synchronize with Opera Link

(It seems like there should be a more direct method to do this, but...)

kapalama fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 20, 2010

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Opera just forgot my entire tabs session.

I hate snapshots.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

ufarn posted:

Opera just forgot my entire tabs session.

I hate snapshots.

That's why I tend to avoid the snapshots that have explicit warnings such as, "We recommend against upgrading your stable installation of Opera," and "You could lose all your bookmarks by upgrading."

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Aunt Beth posted:

I just set down for a few hours this morning and figured this out. My search.ini file automatically breaks Find. Whether I copy it from a previous installation or use Opera Link, it's a murder file. Try removing your search.ini and see how a rebooted Opera behaves. I did a total clean sweep and rebuilt my searches by hand (which was a pain) and "find as you type" seems to be working for me finally.

A question regarding "." or Ctrl-F find, does ESC automatically close the Find bar? Because mine doesn't even on the cleanest of installations (literally no Opera Link, no previous files, uniquely named Folder) and it seems like it should.

Edit: So here's the deal. It appears Opera requires that you keep the original entry for "Find in Page" in your searches. You can change the keystroke assignment but if you delete it and rebuild it it will break Find-in-page. It's perfectly repeatable for me. Some time ago I rebuilt my searches to make them better organized and in the process broke the new Find in the process. And two attempts at hand rebuilding my searches revealed that Opera loves that entry in the custom searches and will be a spiteful bitch if you ever delete it.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 20, 2010

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

A question regarding "." or Ctrl-F find, does ESC automatically close the Find bar? Because mine doesn't even on the cleanest of installations (literally no Opera Link, no previous files, uniquely named Folder) and it seems like it should.

It does. Have you used a clean install of 10.5 beta? They warn you from upgrading your main install for a reason (not that I listened, but it sounds like I have a hell of a lot less bugs than you).

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
^^^

Neat. I verified that solution with my install, but then I opened my search.ini and pulled out a lot of cruft that had built up in it over time, especially a lot of searches were marked 'deleted' but were still present. I have a hunch that the 'find in page' search may have caused some issues. I completely obliterated that entry (and a bunch more of the default type entries), and now my inline search works just wonderfully. So one way or the other, we're both back in business!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Kameleon posted:

It does. Have you used a clean install of 10.5 beta? They warn you from upgrading your main install for a reason (not that I listened, but it sounds like I have a hell of a lot less bugs than you).

Cleanest of the clean. I've still got my untouched 10.10 install. Back to the uninstall/delete cycle to track this problem down.

Edit: Just to be clear, if you press Ctrl-F and then press ESC, it immediately closes the Find Bar, right? And if you press "." and then immediately press ESC, it closes the bar before the 3 second timeout.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 20, 2010