Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

Not much of a conversion, just a very mild repose/base

Ah, yes, I've seen this one: I didn't know it was a repose though, it's very subtle.
Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Aargh gently caress. I'm trying to paint the skin on my Oathed Elves and on my Escher gangers and I'm experimenting with different degrees of thinning (I know, like milk... what the gently caress is the consistency of milk :cry:) and basically don't seem to be able to avoid either a really streaky finish or a really clumpy texture... What am I doing wrong?

Yeah, I hear you. 'Consistency of milk' doesn't mean poo poo to me either. I wouldn't be able to thin my paints without my dropper bottles. I tried finding some other way to measure them with eye droppers and poo poo but didn't have any luck. Clumping out brush-fulls of paint onto my palette didn't lead to any predictable or repeatable experiences, it was just too hard to compare water to however much paint I had scooped out.

Generally what I find works good for me is trying to get a 2:3 water to paint ratio and work from there depending on what color you are painting, what you are painting over and what kind of effect you are trying to achieve. How you get that ratio is the mystery.

LSD
Oct 20, 2008

by Ozma
Is there a good way to strip the paint of models? I have some space marines that a friend gave me way before I even knew what War Hammer was, but they are pretty poorly painted. Or would it be better just to paint over the original paint?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If you're in the US, go to Dollar Tree and buy a quart of LA's Totally Awesome, in the cleaning section. Let them soak overnight, and scrub the paint off with an old toothbrush.

LSD
Oct 20, 2008

by Ozma

MasterSlowPoke posted:

If you're in the US, go to Dollar Tree and buy a quart of LA's Totally Awesome, in the cleaning section. Let them soak overnight, and scrub the paint off with an old toothbrush.

Ok cool, thanks. I think I might even have a bottle of this stuff already.

Here's to hoping I can actually repaint the models better than my friend who was in the 6th grade when he painted them!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Wear gloves.

LSD
Oct 20, 2008

by Ozma

Fix posted:

Wear gloves.

Haha yeah I figured that much. I have a few chemical burns from concentrated cleaners, I've learned my lesson.

My space marines are soaking now, I hope they don't melt.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
A dude here left his plastic spaceship fleet soaking in LA's for over a year and they were perfectly fine.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
For paint removal, if you have any metals, you can use that gel paint remover stuff. I picked up a can at Home Depot, and the paint was coming off my Steel Legion as I was brushing the gel onto the model. A light brushing took off all traces of paint. In ten minutes, I had models that looked like they came fresh out of the blister.

In contrast, I had Steel Legion sitting in a bath of Super Clean for a week that still had paint I couldn't scrub off of them.

In other words: Plastics = Super Clean, Simple Green, etc. Metals = Paint removing gel. You will be so much happier.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Pretty much anything that removes paint can work for metals. You'd need some hardcore poo poo to damage that stuff. I've used the equivalent of Simple Green to great result, I'm just going to need some acetone still because of the glue and the really thickly slabbed-on decades-old paint in the crevices on some of the minis.

It's kind of fun stripping minis that you bought on eBay. Some of them will reveal really funky colour choices.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fyrbrand posted:

Before:

After:

Bonus nurglesque action shot:

Quotin' this for new people. LA's Totally Awesome works pretty well. I would prefer to use Simple Green as it's not harmful to dump down the drain, but I can't beat the price of LA's.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

LSD posted:

Haha yeah I figured that much. I have a few chemical burns from concentrated cleaners, I've learned my lesson.

the greatest username/post combo I have ever loving seen.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
The 'main' warhammer thread is being too busy having a which chaos god hates who and why 90210/the hills type discussion, so I'll drag this here.

How lame is this?

Yes it's mine, I'm going for a Deff Dred. I plan to make it more orky, but should I even bother or is the foundation too crap?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Indolent Bastard posted:

The 'main' warhammer thread is being too busy having a which chaos god hates who and why 90210/the hills type discussion, so I'll drag this here.

How lame is this?

Yes it's mine, I'm going for a Deff Dred. I plan to make it more orky, but should I even bother or is the foundation too crap?

Sorry, it was just chatter. :ohdear:

I think that the base has potential, but it obviously needs work - especially on those wide, curved panels, which isn't very orky at all. When you first posted it I thought it was going to be some sort of Tau supermech, which might give you some idea of how the current look is 'off'. I think it can work depending on what you do with it, though. Definitely ork up the front, mount some guns or additional arms below the current pair (or maybe one below, one above, and stick some sort of bosspole on it.

I'm not a huge fan of the feet, although its hard to see what you're working with from the current angle.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Cricondentherm posted:

Crossposting, since I didn't get an answer in the warhammer thread. I keep managing to post my questions in the middle of ongoing conversations like an idiot.

Currently, I'm leaning more towards the blue scheme with bone colored claws. Mainly for a little bit of variety over my green marines. I am still open to ideas though I'd like to stay away from anything too similar to the main 3 tyranid schemes.

I like the green one but I'm biased since that's the one I picked out if I was ever going to do Nids again. It's what I used when I painted the couple of bugs I got from bhsman a couple of weeks ago. I'll take a picture if your interested.

I used the Army Painter Army Green spray primer, which actually matches Knarloc Green. Then dry brushed Camo Green then Rotting Flesh over it. I just did the carapaces and claws black, but if I really cared I would do some highlights, probably in greens and browns there.

For the couple I did before, I did the little muscle bits with bubonic brown with one highlight of bubonic brown mixed with bleached bone. And the weapon hoses, tongues and other extra bits were orange. I matte varnished them and painted the carapaces with clear gloss varnish for shininess.

It was pretty simple to start with but holy crap did spray base coating the green make it so much faster.

ineptmule posted:

Aargh gently caress. I'm trying to paint the skin on my Oathed Elves and on my Escher gangers and I'm experimenting with different degrees of thinning (I know, like milk... what the gently caress is the consistency of milk :cry:) and basically don't seem to be able to avoid either a really streaky finish or a really clumpy texture... What am I doing wrong?

There is a fine line when using just water and paint. If you use a little mixing medium it's a little easier to get it thin enough without streaking.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

GoodBee posted:

mixing medium

Hmmm... What is mixing medium?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

chelsea clinton posted:

Pretty much anything that removes paint can work for metals. You'd need some hardcore poo poo to damage that stuff. I've used the equivalent of Simple Green to great result, I'm just going to need some acetone still because of the glue and the really thickly slabbed-on decades-old paint in the crevices on some of the minis.
True. I have used it in the past, but had forgotten how fast it worked, since I hadn't stripped metals in ages. Also, as a bonus, it eats the hell out of superglue. Limbs just fall right off!

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

quote:

Hmmm... What is mixing medium?
It's basically the water + acrylic polymer binder that the pigments in acrylics are suspended in.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Indolent Bastard posted:

How lame is this?

Is... is that an Atomic Robo body?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Indolent Bastard posted:

How lame is this?

This is just begging to be turned into an Orky Iron Man.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

bhsman posted:

The arms & legs have potential, the chest looks like a Tau objective marker.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cakefool posted:

The arms & legs have potential, the chest looks like the glowy power core.

:colbert:

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
Hey, I have a few basic questions about painting and thinning.

What is a good ratio of paint to water for foundation paints used as a basecoat? I've heard 2:1 and 3:2 a lot for normal GW citadel paints, but nothing about foundation.

Do I need to thin washes at all?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Indolent Bastard posted:

How lame is this?

It looks like Iron Man put on a few pounds and needed a Plus Size suit made up

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

The Good Professor posted:

Hey, I have a few basic questions about painting and thinning.

What is a good ratio of paint to water for foundation paints used as a basecoat? I've heard 2:1 and 3:2 a lot for normal GW citadel paints, but nothing about foundation.

Do I need to thin washes at all?

Thinning is more about feel than ratios...thin the paint, apply it...if it doesnt cover well, add a touch more paint to the mix, etc.

The more you paint the better you will get at controlling it.

Foundations tend to need more water than other paints, because they are thick as hell and have more pigment than most paints do. Using them out of the pot is a no-no.

GW washes dont have to be thinned, but depending on how dark a wash you are using, and how light a basecolor, you might want to. I wouldnt, at least for now, til you get the hang of using em

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe you could play up the Tau-y aspect, make it seem like they built it from the scraps of some Tau stuff. Looted, if you will.

Then cover it in butchered slabs of metal with rivets everywhere.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

PaintVagrant posted:

Thinning is more about feel than ratios...thin the paint, apply it...if it doesnt cover well, add a touch more paint to the mix, etc.

The more you paint the better you will get at controlling it.

Foundations tend to need more water than other paints, because they are thick as hell and have more pigment than most paints do. Using them out of the pot is a no-no.

GW washes dont have to be thinned, but depending on how dark a wash you are using, and how light a basecolor, you might want to. I wouldnt, at least for now, til you get the hang of using em

PV your advice is often what keeps me from eating my brushes and models and giving this whole foul jamboree up.

Just thought you should know.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack
I'm looking at the special units I have in preparation for the march oath, thinking about doing my spirit host but after looking around at some ghost ideas I'm not sold on what to do or more specifically what is a relatively easy way to paint them to give them a nice ethereal look. Any Ideas?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

jubelio posted:

I'm looking at the special units I have in preparation for the march oath, thinking about doing my spirit host but after looking around at some ghost ideas I'm not sold on what to do or more specifically what is a relatively easy way to paint them to give them a nice ethereal look. Any Ideas?

Paint green-blue, drybrush up lighter. done.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Devlan Mud posted:

Paint green-blue, drybrush up lighter. done.

:hfive: exactly what I was looking for.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I painted this Reaper mini tonight. Mine looks like Ronald Reagan.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Is... is that an Atomic Robo body?

bhsman posted:

dpack_1 posted:

It looks like Iron Man put on a few pounds and needed a Plus Size suit made up

Well actually....

Minus the head, shoulders and thighs. Plus the calf and feet are turned 180 degrees.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Hope you have some guitar string

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Hope you have some guitar string

I've got a bunch of the ribbed hose from these guys.

I figure that will do it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

enjoy your image spam and slow browsing :buddy:

more angles and poo poo here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3145404&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Oh, I almost forgot: buffalochicken did the modelling on these SH terminators, hes a pretty baller sculptor/converter/hell of a nice guy.

Plus he can sculpt dicks with termagants coming out of them soooooooo

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

those are loving rad holy hell

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

Plus he can sculpt dicks with termagants coming out of them soooooooo

Candirugants.

Fyrbrand