Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
God drat. Not to add to the circle jerk but GOD drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
PV you can image spam my browser any time with hotness like that :allears:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Semi-related: The first pictures of tiny mens I saved were some of Buffalo Chicken's zerg tyranids. :3:

[edit] Hah, you can't tell that I've been playing the StarCraft 2 beta all day.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Retarded white cyclone WIP time

Just looking at the picture of this thing I realize how much touching up I'm going to have to do once I get my whites finished and shaded. I need to get my steady hands back, christ. Ah well, at least my white is smoothing out after 4 coats (2 Wolf Grey, 2 Skull White) instead of 10 (don't paint white on black primer unless you are seriously the dumbest motherfucker around).

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
So, Oath for Feb:

I tried to do Wounded Warrior by gouging my Champion's shield and giving him a nice scar. I don't think it's terribly obvious, though.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wow those are really nice. Mind sharing how you did it (particularly the skin)?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Fyrbrand posted:

Wow those are really nice. Mind sharing how you did it (particularly the skin)?
Thanks!

Almost everything's in P3.

Skin:
Cygnar Blue Base
highlight with Frostbite
Asurmen Blue wash

Shield:
Sanguine Base
Skorne Red
Khador Red Base

Metals:
Tin Bitz
Shining Gold

Bone/Teeth:
Gun Corps Brown
'Jack Bone
Menoth White Highlight
Gryphonne Sepia wash

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Feeple posted:

Thanks!

Almost everything's in P3.

Skin:
Cygnar Blue Base
highlight with Frostbite
Asurmen Blue wash

Shield:
Sanguine Base
Skorne Red
Khador Red Base

Metals:
Tin Bitz
Shining Gold

Bone/Teeth:
Gun Corps Brown
'Jack Bone
Menoth White Highlight
Gryphonne Sepia wash

drat I just bought a bunch of P3 blues, but none of those shades. I'll grab those next time I'm near the lgs. Thanks man.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Fyrbrand posted:

drat I just bought a bunch of P3 blues, but none of those shades. I'll grab those next time I'm near the lgs. Thanks man.

Wish my store carried P3 :/

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Sorry. St. Louis has a pretty active Warmachine and Hordes community, so PP stuff is commonplace here. I'm actually getting into GW stuff for the first time seriously right now.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Feeple posted:

Sorry. St. Louis has a pretty active Warmachine and Hordes community, so PP stuff is commonplace here. I'm actually getting into GW stuff for the first time seriously right now.

My store is liquidating PP right now. Shame, really, as I love how they work with their stuff.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
p3 paints own qtiyd

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

p3 paints own qtiyd
My only annoyance with p3s is that they don't come in dropper bottles because I am a big baby who's too lazy to use a wet palette most of the time.

Also their metal batch consistency was poo poo before they recalled the drat things, but whatever. Their normal hues own, and thin down way nicer than my aging VGCs.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Dropper bottles lose their charm once you get some that spit or ooze.

Real men buy ridiculous numbers of pipettes off ebay for a pittance.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Pipettes just seem so wasteful with the paint. It's probably a similar amount compared to the brush-onto-the-palette method, but for some reason I don't like it.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

PaintVagrant posted:

p3 paints own qtiyd

Menoth White Highlight 4 lyfe

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Pipettes just seem so wasteful with the paint. It's probably a similar amount compared to the brush-onto-the-palette method, but for some reason I don't like it.

Whatever is left over, you can force back into the bottle by blowing through on the other end. Plus, if they are glass, you can wash them.

Plastic ones, well, I can see what you mean by being a waste.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I waste a bunch of paint in my dry palette but only because I am terrible at estimating how much I'm going to need, or how much of the highlight color I need to mix into the base to get the shade I want. I've ceased caring about it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Pull the nozzle off and then shove a paperclip through the hole from the bottom and it'll solve that problem

Also the best palette is a tattoo ink cap holder and ink caps

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Real men buy ridiculous numbers of pipettes off ebay for a pittance.

This is really true. I have a collection of the Reaper dropper bottle paints because I thought it'd be a lot easier to measure out mixes, but once the bottles clog up and you have to try and unclog them without making a huge mess it loses the appeal.

I've done the trick Silhouette mentions and it does work, it's just kind of messy and frustrating.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I've been using some puppy needles/syringes to mix my paints. It works!

Silhouette posted:

Also the best palette is a tattoo ink cap holder and ink caps
wtf are those?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I took a length of sprue and turned it into a big toothpick I use to get the drops of paint to the palette, then I use pipettes to get the water into the paint. I just scrape the excess paint off the spruethpick back into the pot. I should figure out an improvement to this, because it's uncomfortably wasteful, but I'll wait until I have to buy a bigger toolbox.

On another note, I bought one of GW's new brushes. Do brushes break in? The brush itself looks way puffier and ragged than my current synthetic in the same size, so I've not used it yet out of terror.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

A natural hair brush will probably need to be wetted before it comes to a point the first time you use it.

e: also, thanks for the pipette suggestions guys, I'm clearly a moron for not thinking of that.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Aranan posted:

wtf are those?

The caps are just little plastic thimble things, and the holder is a stand for them. Cool holders are shaped like dice and have (1d6 :downs: ) holes in each side.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I waste a bunch of paint in my dry palette but only because I am terrible at estimating how much I'm going to need, or how much of the highlight color I need to mix into the base to get the shade I want. I've ceased caring about it.

Same here and never really cared about how much I am using. Is it just an American thing to worry about? Are paints a lot more expensive or harder to get than over here in Blighty? :britain:

Apart from the main primary colours I've never found myself having to buy excessive amounts of anything, it all seems to last ages. Not having a go just curious really

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I just take an old lovely #2 brush and transfer paints from my pots to my palette, and to mix water into that paint and to mix. I never mix with my preciouses (s7's)

The only downfall of p3 paints is that somtimes the tab that holds the top on breaks off, and that sucks

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Crossposting from the Warmahordes thread:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

:aaaaa:

That is loving rad as hell.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Nice job, KingMob. Kraye always looks cool as poo poo.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

KingMob posted:

I love it all, my only complaint is that I don't like the gray for determining the front of the base. Perhaps you could do it the same blue as your armor?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

crime fighting hog posted:

I love it all, my only complaint is that I don't like the gray for determining the front of the base. Perhaps you could do it the same blue as your armor?

It's actually a light sky blue. I agree in the pic that it appears a little on the grey side.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thats really awesome :3:

Here are some dumb SH reshoots, with added scroll word goodness:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

allllllll over your loving scrolls you son of a bitch :argh:

and by son of a bitch I mean magnificent man-beast-painter-god.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That writing made a huge difference, thanks dude. That group shot is money as hell, too.

Edit: in case anyone is wondering about the librarian, Salamanders not surprisingly don't quite follow codex guidelines. Pic below comes from the old Index Astartes article about librarians.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 22, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

:hellyeah:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
The Librarian is really stunning, I have to say.

Just going to keep this PV reacharound going.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Yo soy jefe de los bibliotecarios, lellvo armadura tactica dreadnaught.

The pure black skinned Salamaders looks pretty dumb to me; GW fluff, whatever.

Also there is some rough bits on the metal, the cable running from the librarians arm to the axe looks particularly mucky. The top of the t-hammer also seems to have a bit of pooling.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PV, I used your "Sepia on metal!" for the Horned Rat icon on my standard.

gently caress, it looks cool.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

!amicable posted:

Every chapter needs some kind of downside.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Salamanders used to be I3 because of their heavy-grav homeworld. This was entirely irrelevant as a downside because back in those days only they could take Thunder Hammers on god-damned near everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

!amicable posted:

A redshirt is currently trying to persuade my friend to paint his salamanders skin anything other than pure black. I of course am opposing him since coal-skinned salamanders are rad as hell.

e: Those terminators are badass. How did you manage to get the gems/eyes/lenses so well? The level of detail is insane.

Vayra fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 22, 2010

• Locked thread