Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Looks like 1349 is coming to North America in time to promote a new album that doesn't suck...

1349 will release their as-yet untitled new album in North America on April 13th through Prosthetic via an agreement with Indie Recordings. The new CD, promises "a return to the band's more traditional, raw-yet-technical black metal sound". In addition, the band will be joining Cannibal Corpse, Skeletonwitch and Lecherous Nocturne for the following run of shows together:

April 20th Orlando, FL – Club Firestone
April 21st Atlanta, GA – Masquerade
April 22nd Raleigh, NC – Volume 11 Tavern
April 23rd Springfield, VA – Jaxx
April 24th Worcester, MA – Palladium (New England Metal and Hardcore Festival)
April 25th Long Island, NY – Crazy Donkey
April 27th Montreal, QC – Club Soda
April 28th Toronto, ON – Opera House
April 29th Chicago, IL – House of Blues
April 30th Milwaukee, WI – Eagles Club
May 01st St. Paul, MN – Station 4
May 02nd Lawrence, KS – Granada Theater
May 03rd Denver, CO – Gothic
May 05th San Francisco, CA – Slim’s
May 06th Los Angeles, CA – House Of Blues
May 07th Tucson, AZ – The Rock (no 1349)
May 08th Albuquerque, NM – Sunshine Theater (no 1349)
May 10th Corpus Christi, TX – House of Rock (no 1349)
May 11th Austin, TX – Emo’s (no 1349)
May 12th Houston, TX – Wired Live (no 1349)
May 13th New Orleans, LA – House of Blues (no 1349)
May 14th Jacksonville, FL – Freebird Live (no 1349)
May 15th Tampa, FL – Tate Theater (no 1349)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'll be at the Orlando show for sure but I might also go to the Tampa show too. More for Corpse though and not so much 1349.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Ordered a bunch of vinyl today.

Taake - Taake (double LP with bonus track)
Gorgoroth - Antichrist
Katharsis - Fourth Reich
Nocturnal -Violent Revenge
Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons (preorder)

Wohoo!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Looks like 1349... a new album that doesn't suck...

If this is in fact the case, I'll absolutely make the trek to the Chicago show.

Pleasure to chill posted:

Taake - Taake (double LP with bonus track)

Awesome, Taake kicks so much rear end.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Looks like 1349 is coming to North America in time to promote a new album that doesn't suck...

It's a shame there isn't anything closer to Michigan than Chicago or the Canada dates; I'm sick of those being my only options.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

Awesome, Taake kicks so much rear end.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting the record. I haven't heard the bonus track before (it's a cover of Burzum's A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit), so that'll be cool. I'm also really looking forward to seeing Taake live in a couple of months.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting the record. I haven't heard the bonus track before (it's a cover of Burzum's A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit), so that'll be cool. I'm also really looking forward to seeing Taake live in a couple of months.

I'm jealous, how much was it and where did you get it?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I bought it on eBay from a guy in Italy for $26. Kinda pricey, I guess, but I'm a sucker for special edition stuff (double gatefold 180g vinyl, different cover art, etc). Also, I got a pretty good deal on shipping since I bought several records from the same guy.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Hope I'm not making GBS threads up ye olde black metal thread with this, but....

:siren: FINNTROLL'S NEW ALBUM IS NOW ONLINE! :siren:

P.S. Gonna put Old Man's Child - Slaves of the World in the "Best of 2009" hat. It's the best thing heard all year, period.

Hellwuzzat fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 18, 2010

bij
Feb 24, 2007

+
a new album that doesn't suck...

I hope so

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Captain Chestbeard posted:

Hope I'm not making GBS threads up ye olde black metal thread with this, but....

:siren: FINNTROLL'S NEW ALBUM IS NOW ONLINE! :siren:

[url=

You probably want to edit that link out of your post dude.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

IRQ posted:

You probably want to edit that link out of your post dude.

Okie dokie. I figured maybe that was bad form, but didn't see it in the rules either, so....

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Forum Rules posted:

No warez. No warez, no cracks, no CD codes, no illegal programs that are used to either crack software or perform any malicious activity. Don't post links, ask for links to download, or otherwise discuss illegal copies of copyrighted works, including movies, books, software, etc. 45-second "sampler" mp3 files are acceptable, within context. ROMs are only allowed if they are out-of-print and unavailable for purchase.

Saying "it leaked" is fine, but anything more than that is skirting the rules.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, NMD is less retarded over-reactive than Games/TVIV post-Barnyard where even mentioning that the internet exists can get you a probation for piracy, but don't post links. Also... how is Finntroll black metal? :confused:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

IRQ posted:

Also... how is Finntroll black metal? :confused:

The same way that Old Man's Child is capable of releasing a good album post BotF? (It's not).

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I listened to the new songs on the Myspace and they are very bouncy. Reminded me of Korpiklaani but in a way that's done right, or at least a lot better than Korpiklaani.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Ooh, Nachtmystium tour the UK.

code:
03/19 Kingston, UK @ Fighting Cocks
03/21 Bristol, UK @ The Croft
03/22 Wrexham, UK @ Central Station
03/23 Manchester, UK @ oho Live
03/24 Glasgow, UK @ Ivory Blacks
03/25 Leeds, UK @ The Well
03/26 Nottingham, UK @ Rock City Basement
03/27 London, UK @ Islington Academy 2
03/28 Brighton, UK @ Engine Room
I'll be at the Glasgow show.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Oldstench posted:

The same way that Old Man's Child is capable of releasing a good album post BotF? (It's not).

Ba-zing.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

QPZIL posted:

Ba-zing.

Yeah I know - lame zinger. How about some content?

I know it's fashionable to hate on Wrest now for some reason (too popular?) but I am an unabashed Leviathan/LoC fanboy and am craving something new from him. Anyone heard anything about his current activity? I know he's sitting on like 2 or 3 full LoC albums and really wish he would release them.

Felix Towerpants
Nov 5, 2008

Practically perfect in every way!

Oldstench posted:

Yeah I know - lame zinger. How about some content?

I know it's fashionable to hate on Wrest now for some reason (too popular?) but I am an unabashed Leviathan/LoC fanboy and am craving something new from him. Anyone heard anything about his current activity? I know he's sitting on like 2 or 3 full LoC albums and really wish he would release them.

Wrest is too popular? That's news to me. I was thrilled to even see you mention Leviathan and Lurker of Chalice on this thread - I never hear anyone talk much about those bands any more. I would love to see a new LoC album too. I checked Metal Archives and all I can find about Wrest is that he's been recently lending his drumming skills to Nachtmystium. If that's the case, I wonder if that will end up taking up most of his time and postpone any potential LoC or Leviathan albums in the near future. Where did you hear that he's got new material pending release?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

lol_internet posted:

Wrest is too popular? That's news to me. I was thrilled to even see you mention Leviathan and Lurker of Chalice on this thread - I never hear anyone talk much about those bands any more.

I got that feeling from posts on other boards that it was the tru-kvlt thing to hate on Wrest nowadays. Personally I think he his one of the most consistently listenable and original artists in the genre so :iiam:

lol_internet posted:

Where did you hear that he's got new material pending release?

From the LoC page on Metal Archives:

Metal Archives posted:

According to a 2004 interview with Wrest there are four unreleased full-length albums by Lurker of Chalice.

I wish he would just release them already if this is true.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
New Burzum album leaked earlier today.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
So how is it?

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

I'm on the third track now, and it's sounding great so far.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Not Very Metal posted:

So how is it?

Highly repetitive.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I can't help but feel that Belus would be so much better with Filosofem's guitar sound.

Drudkh
Feb 17, 2009

by mons all madden
I think the new album is fantastic. Not sure yet if it lives up to the hype but i think it's a very good album.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

The new record is pretty drat good. Glemselens Elv is so killer. Easily will be in my top 10 for 2010.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

IRQ posted:

Highly repetitive.

So nothing has changed in 15 years, I see. Checking it out now.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...

m-o-o-n posted:

I can't help but feel that Belus would be so much better with Filosofem's guitar sound.

Yeah, Belus' production is incredibly muddy, even for a black metal album. Almost no treble in the mix what so ever. It is kind of hard to separate the highs from the lows whereas they are quite distinct on Filosofem.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

m-o-o-n posted:

This was my first reaction too. I like the drums and the overall production, but I wish the guitars had been harsher. After listening through it once, I think it's pretty good. There are a lot of riffs I like, and the songs are much better than I expected. The semi-spoken parts in Kalmaidalthas Nedstigning are cringeworthy, though.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

ultraviolence123 posted:

Glemselens Elv is so killer.

Couldn't agree with you more, the riff at 7m20s is loving amazing.

It's so refreshing to hear guitars playing in different channels and everything not maxed out. (dynamics!)

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

Indeed. Filosofem has to have one of the greatest guitar tones in the history of black metal. Someone should find the manufacturer of those headset mics or whatever and get them to produce a kvlt edition to sell to musicians.

Hrafn
Feb 17, 2010

The semi-spoken parts in Kalmaidalthas Nedstigning are cringeworthy, though.

Really? I think they are pretty much my favourite part of the album.

What I find really interesting is that this is something I'd actually call a "beautiful" album. The aesthetics, while still melancholic in the Burzum-way, are actually kinda positive. It seems less about darkness and despair than the older works; it's more colorful, but still burzumy.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Just chiming in with more love for Belus, this is some of the best stuff Varg has ever recorded. Does anyone else think it sounds a bit like Negură Bunget at times? There are parts of the album that sound like a close cousin to their Ţesarul De Lumini.
Anyhow, it's great to see Varg coming back with such force. I was just listening to it while on the bus, and I caught myself thinking "Holy poo poo, I'm actually listening to new Burzum material. And I'm loving it!".

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Hrafn posted:

Really? I think they are pretty much my favourite part of the album.

What I find really interesting is that this is something I'd actually call a "beautiful" album. The aesthetics, while still melancholic in the Burzum-way, are actually kinda positive. It seems less about darkness and despair than the older works; it's more colorful, but still burzumy.

The parts where he chants "Jeg reiser tilbake/til mψrkets tid/der alt er dψdt" sound incredibly lame to me. I think he sounds like a presenter on a children's TV show or something. I've only listened to it once, though, maybe it'll grow on me.

As I mentioned, though, I'm liking the album a lot so far. It's much better than I expected. Glemseens Elv is my favorite track too.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Is it just me or are quite a few of the riffs very familiar?

Hrafn
Feb 17, 2010

AgentJotun posted:

Is it just me or are quite a few of the riffs very familiar?

Well, Belus' Dψd is the metal version of Daudi Baldrs he mentioned a few years ago, but otherwise I think it's pretty much just the style of the music. With the atmosphere he tries to create, many songa are just bound to sound somewhat similar.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Oldstench posted:

tru-kvlt

Its way cooler not to use those memes in Black Metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronnie Spector
Dec 4, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Faux Shoah posted:

So nothing has changed in 15 years, I see. Checking it out now.

It might be hard to quantify the difference between 'hypnotic' and 'boring' but Belus definitely falls square under the latter category. Outside of Filosofem Burzum was never particularly repetitive anyway, and that album relied on subtle harmonic and rhythmic variations to make it work. Pretty much every song on this album alternates between two melodic phrases which are repeated ad nauseam with none of the buried harmonies of a track like Jesus' Tod, backed by rock drumming which serves to de-emphasize the melodic, droning nature of the guitar melodies rather than emphasise it as the drumming on older albums did. The end result is that rather than being put in a state where time doesn't matter, we are stuck squarely in the now wondering "Jesus Christ when is he going to play a different loving riff." Having failed to make repetition work, the songs never actually go anywhere either, thanks to simplistic, recursive structures. Essentially, it's Burzum does rock music without any of the things that make rock good, like hooks or brevity. I have to think that anyone who really enjoys this doesn't really understand what makes the old Burzum albums great.

Ronnie Spector fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 20, 2010