Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

ShoodZ posted:

Dumb question but how do you get the pitch bend to show in the main automation lane? I can bend the individual clips' envelope sections but I haven't been able to get it to show up as selectable on the dropdown list of automations.

BUTTERWORBS fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Dumb question but how do you get the pitch bend to show in the main automation lane? I can bend the individual clips' envelope sections but I haven't been able to get it to show up as selectable on the dropdown list of automations.

When you have a parameter selected over the main midi pattern, hit the little plus by the selection box to add its own lane.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

mezzir posted:

When you have a parameter selected over the main midi pattern, hit the little plus by the selection box to add its own lane.

I do know how to add an extra lane, but I mean I can't get "pitch bend" to show up as a parameter at all. I can only see it from each clip's envelope menu.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

BUTTERWORBS posted:

I do know how to add an extra lane, but I mean I can't get "pitch bend" to show up as a parameter at all. I can only see it from each clip's envelope menu.

Oh. That idk, thought I'd know how to do it then just went to try, and nope :(

Also, first track I've started since designing my new logo and holy poo poo its not a remix of anything, its an actual original track!

breaks
May 12, 2001

Pitch bend is clip-only in Live. I know that's ridiculous but that's Live for you.

For Massive in particular, you could assign osc pitch to a macro knob and automate that.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
you could just bounce your midi clip down to audio!

create an audio track next to your midi track. freeze the midi track and drag the frozen midi clip into the audio track. presto! audio clip to pitch bend!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

breaks posted:

For Massive in particular, you could assign osc pitch to a macro knob and automate that.

This is a good idea anyway as it gives far more control. Even better: assign one of Massive's Macro controls to controlling the pitch of all three oscillators so you only have to deal with a single lane.

Pitchbend may generate a shitload of MIDI messages and isn't particularly accurate.

trill rear end posted:

presto! audio clip to pitch bend!

Yes, but then you'll lower fidelity :(.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Yoozer posted:

Yes, but then you'll lower fidelity :(.

Sometimes it sounds cooler though.

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch

BUTTERWORBS posted:

It's not a dumb question. All my automations were in the individual clips but I pasted them into the main automation lane for illustrative purposes instead of taking a million screenshots of each individual clip automation :D

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
New track!

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch
While Im waiting for a friend to pop by and properly mix and master the Johnny track, I started on a new project and it came out quite well so far. Need some input on the automations and if its too confusing. Download it if you really want the full woosh of the wobble

Dubstep Sketch

http://soundcloud.com/djwood/streetcleaner-0-4

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

finally making dance music again

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

IanTheM posted:

I'm not a huge fan of two-step but this is pretty good. I really like the arrangement, how it builds up, but it seems like it collapses and ends way too fast. Is it unfinished or was that a choice you made?

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 17, 2010

Lowbo
Jan 16, 2010
I'm releasing an EP on my friends label in a couple of months, here are the originals:

Water:
http://soundcloud.com/lowbo/water

Air:
http://soundcloud.com/lowbo/air-1

Any feedback is appreciated!

mezzir posted:

Also, first track I've started since designing my new logo and holy poo poo its not a remix of anything, its an actual original track!

This is super super solid. I honestly have nothing to say except keep making tracks, the force is strong in you

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Altoidss posted:

I'm not a huge fan of two-step but this is pretty good. I really like the arrangement, how it builds up, but it seems like it collapses and ends way too fast. Is it unfinished or was that a choice you made?

I'll usually mess with the arrangement a bit later because when I'm producing I just wana get it all my ideas down, and it's hard to know how long certain bits should be when you've been listening to them on loop for 2 hours.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

IanTheM posted:

Try slowing down the tempo a scosche and giving the kick more presence relative to the bass, this is good stuff though!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Everyone needs to fastforward this to 2:25 immediately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HpaI9fUO5Y&feature=player_embedded

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
uh what

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Taking a more direct hand in mastering the track instead of relying on presets. I'm happier with the results since it feels less squashed than my tracks tend to be.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

magiccarpet posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HpaI9fUO5Y&feature=player_embedded

don't click its lady gaga all the way through to the end of the video

itsatrap :negative:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Lady Gaga is awesome and that's a fantastic clip.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

h_double posted:

Lady Gaga is awesome and that's a fantastic clip.

That bass guitar/mpc/keyboard is GIANT!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

This has been bugging me and I don't know where to ask it!

I was at the Polysics show in Chicago the other day and they were using a strange device. It looked sort of like a Kaossilator (http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?&pd=564) but when you wave your hands over the top it detects them and produces sound like a theremin.

Please tell me what this is!

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

breaks posted:

I suck at Massive and can't get this to work. I don't really quite understand the macro system in this software, I'm dragging knobs to pitch and dragging the osc pitch to knobs but nothing really does anything for me. For some reason I can't even find a decent tutorial.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Rkelly posted:

That bass guitar/mpc/keyboard is GIANT!

That thing is loving hilarious, but is she slightly out of time there? Her timing and the backing track just feel off to me.

breaks
May 12, 2001

BUTTERWORBS posted:

I suck at Massive and can't get this to work. I don't really quite understand the macro system in this software, I'm dragging knobs to pitch and dragging the osc pitch to knobs but nothing really does anything for me. For some reason I can't even find a decent tutorial.

In the upper right of each macro knob box is a + shaped handle, drag that to the top box under the pitch section of the oscillator(s) you want to modulate. Another little box will show up next to it that says 0.00. Click and drag on the numbers in there to change the amount of pitch modulation. If you change it to 12 it will go up 12 semitones obviously.

The bottom box marked SC lets you modulate the depth of the modulation, but it does nothing by itself. To see how it works, drag an LFO handle into the top box and turn up the modulation amount to a couple octaves, then drag a macro knob handle unto the bottom box. Next, click on the dash between the two boxes until it turns into an upward facing triangle. Then, mess with the macro knob.

breaks fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 18, 2010

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

BUTTERWORBS posted:

For some reason I can't even find a decent tutorial.

What do you want to achieve? I'll type up something with screenshots if you want to.

Kessel posted:

It looked sort of like a Kaossilator (http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?&pd=564) but when you wave your hands over the top it detects them and produces sound like a theremin.

There are a shitload of light-based Theremins out there, including some DIY units.

Was it perhaps an Alesis Airsynth?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Yoozer posted:

There are a shitload of light-based Theremins out there, including some DIY units.

Was it perhaps an Alesis Airsynth?

Thanks for your help!

It definitely looked sort of like a Kaoss (red lighted squares in a grid, and the works) and when you waved your hands above the top end of the unit a little red light came on and sounds came out.

I know this isn't a helpful description, but I'd really like to know what demonspawn device this is. :(

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
I want to automate the pitch of a synth so that it can steadily rise from like g0 to g4 over 16 bars but the only synth I figure out how just to draw the pitch is operator which has an option for a fixed pitch. In ableton or reason is the another easier/better way to do this?

Lowbo
Jan 16, 2010
Two ways you could do it are pitch bend and portamento.

With pitch bend you just set the range to whatever you want it to rise to and automate the pitch bend slowly increasing.

With portamento (or glide), set it to a really high level, have the synth play a g0, then immediately play a g4 and hold it for the 16 bars.

I don't use Ableton so I don't know exactly where the controls are, but they shouldn't be too hard to find.

skrath
Nov 14, 2000
Horsum venit vir qui fert locustas!
Sort of evil techno, would love some feedback :)

http://soundcloud.com/the-sargents/hexagon-wip

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

Are there any free autotune vsts for Mac?

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

mezzir posted:

Quincy's seen this but I figure this is the best place to ask for other opinions for this logo/wallpaper/etc or two I've been working on:

Click here for the full 800x800 image.

Click here for the full 2000x2000 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Top one's the one I've been working on tonight, bottom two are the original concept.

edit: oh god click them, it squishes them for the thumbnails and makes it look horrible

Personally, I like the bottom one :)

magiccarpet posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HpaI9fUO5Y&fmt=18&feature=player_embedded#t=2m25s

Fixed the link for ya! ;)

dookie posted:

Are there any free autotune vsts for Mac?

Yes, here: http://www.olilarkin.co.uk/index.php?p=freeplugins#at

Exadus
Jan 1, 2010

I would get her SO pregnant :catholic: :ohdear:
Could anyone recommend a good, free tutorial source? I can do some basic poo poo, but I feel that by simply experimenting, I won't get far. I need more guidance.

Also, I tried using Ableton, but I really.. I don't know. I felt like I was boxed in. It's probably great live, but the lack of good instruments makes me not want to use it, but I'm getting a lot of flack elsewhere for using FL Studio, seeing as it's considered a sort of an entry-point. Can some people give their opinion on this? Will, later on, I feel limited by FL Studio, especially if my goal is making trance and acid house?

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Exadus posted:

Could anyone recommend a good, free tutorial source? I can do some basic poo poo, but I feel that by simply experimenting, I won't get far. I need more guidance.

Also, I tried using Ableton, but I really.. I don't know. I felt like I was boxed in. It's probably great live, but the lack of good instruments makes me not want to use it, but I'm getting a lot of flack elsewhere for using FL Studio, seeing as it's considered a sort of an entry-point. Can some people give their opinion on this? Will, later on, I feel limited by FL Studio, especially if my goal is making trance and acid house?

Sure, here you go: http://audio.tutsplus.com/

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Exadus posted:

Live's strong suit isn't its instruments but the workflow; there are a bajillion good softsynths/plugins out there you can use with it.

FL doesn't personally push my buttons but there are plenty of good producers who use it to good effect. I don't know what kind of built-in synths in comes with these days, but again there are lots of good third party plugins so that's sort of secondary to the basic workflow. Just don't be too much of a preset monkey; use whatever host feels right to you.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental

Kessel posted:

Thanks for your help!

It definitely looked sort of like a Kaoss (red lighted squares in a grid, and the works) and when you waved your hands above the top end of the unit a little red light came on and sounds came out.

I know this isn't a helpful description, but I'd really like to know what demonspawn device this is. :(

Maybe a Roland SP-555? I really want one :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw-NT3yRBNA (he starts playing the d-beam like 2 minutes in)

Meatsplosion fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 19, 2010

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

New version of a remix I've been working on off and on for a week or two of Chromeo - Night By Night

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Meatsplosion posted:

Maybe a Roland SP-555? I really want one :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw-NT3yRBNA (he starts playing the d-beam like 2 minutes in)

This is EXACTLY what it is! Thanks! I was busting my hair out trying to find out what the hell it was.

holy poo poo now I REALLY want one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I fancy a new synth, and Zebra is looking like a likely candidate. I've played with the demo and have been impressed....I really like the flexible, modular thing it has going on. However, £165 is a lot of money. Are there any Zebra users here who can offer some feedback as to whether or not it's a decent purchase? What have you found it's strengths/weaknesses are?

Alternatively, are there any other new amazing synths that have come out lately? I've had a few months off music production (I'm a recovering Modern Warfare 2 addict....it's consumed all my spare time since it was released) and I'm not up to date with the latest synth developments.

• Locked thread