Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oso
Dec 22, 2006

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it

Ha wow, I just got out of Swansea after spending a fairly lousy 3 years studying there. By the end it was fairly obvious the place was grim as hell - spend any time around some of the estates or just generally away from the main Wind street / Kingsway areas and it becomes obvious (the beach was just about the nicest, cleanest part and even that had its share of trash) but I had no idea it was as hosed as that film makes out.

180% increase in Heroin use in 2009 is mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Some other recommendations from films I saw at Full Frame last year. Some of these are more light-hearted than others, but all of them are highly recommended:

Sons of Cuba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYR3hpkkG5A

Mechanical Love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBTc-WyWUHQ

Reporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSsHMSuX6t0

Supermen of Malegaon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goQp6qVjdn8

urbster1
Apr 13, 2005

y⊙U aRE b⊙RING
The Yes Men (2004) (Netflix Instant Watch)

A hilarious documentary about a group of activists who pull ridiculous spoof stunts impersonating the WTO at various academic conferences. It's ludicrous to see what they get away with, and how people believe them even to the point of giving them news coverage without realizing they've been pranked. Genius.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
Good Hair

black hair serious loving bidnis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A68UVn0nMvo

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It Might Get Loud
I just watched this the other day. Jimmy Page, The Edge, and Jack White get together to talk about guitars, songwriting, and how they each approach the instrument.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sBLir8H2zM

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
If this has been posted already then I'm a giant retard that missed it, either way:

Vice Guide to North Korea on VBS.TV
(http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/vice-guide-to-north-korea-1-of-3)

Though I'll just 'enth what people have been saying that most of the VBS stuff is pretty good.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

I'll definitely have a lot to watch in the coming weeks, this is awesome.

A good documentary if you want to look at how animals are treated in society, but want to leave out the crazy PETA poo poo, look at the documentary Earthlings. It's very powerful and doesn't sugar coat anything. Be careful though, We saw this with an entire class, and there wasn't a person who wasn't crying. You might even become a vegitarian for a while, I did.

possibly :nms: if you have a heart.
http://www.earthlings.com/

Add me to the list of people who couldn't even make it through the trailer for this documentary. I think I made it about 55 seconds in before I decided I'd seen enough.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Torture: America's Brutal Prisons
:nws:

You know all the terrible things I always post about the US prison system (and Joe Arpaio)? Now you can watch some of those things on video with this British doc. Definitely :nws: due to language, nudity, extreme violence, and Joe Arpaio.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Walking the Line

"WALKING THE LINE offers a harrowing view of the chaos along the U.S.-Mexico border through private citizens who are taking the law into their own hands. Following a growing movement of anti-immigrant vigilantes, some clad in fatigues and armed with semi-automatic weapons, the documentary provides a scathing critique of our failed border policy."

Focused primarily in Arizona. Despite the description it also shows Mexican points of view, as well as folks who help immigrants, and (briefly) touches on Amerindian points of view. Paints the "anti-immigrant vigilantes" in a pretty negative light (albeit through their own words) so know that going in. Some adult language and (very brief) shots of dead bodies, but it's not excessive. Pretty sure it's okay for work, especially if you have a job where you can watch internet documentaries on the clock.

The Warning

"In The Warning, veteran FRONTLINE producer Michael Kirk unearths the hidden history of the nation's worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. At the center of it all he finds Brooksley Born, who speaks for the first time on television about her failed campaign to regulate the secretive, multitrillion-dollar derivatives market whose crash helped trigger the financial collapse in the fall of 2008 [...] Now, with many of the same men who shut down Born in key positions in the Obama administration, The Warning reveals the complicated politics that led to this crisis and what it may say about current attempts to prevent the next one."

Video does what it says on the package.

Off the Chain

"At the turn of the century, the pit-bull was America's favorite pet. How did it go from Pete in the Little Rascals to public enemy number 1. This documentary is an undercover look at the world of dog fighting and how its damaged the breed. Its not bad dogs, its bad owners."

Don't watch this if you like dogs. :nws: due to graphic violence, language, and footage of do-it-yourself veterinarians.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
That Lions and hyenas documentary was amazing. Just the right mix of :cry: and :3: with awesome cinematography. On the other hand, I found Abel Raises Cain boring despite an interest in hoaxes and trickster mythology.

Of all the documentaries I've seen that have been listed here, I recommend Food Inc. the most. Just don't watch it if you're the kind of person who can't restrain your imagination or you might never eat again.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Oh my, no one has mentioned The Corporation?

This film examines, you guessed it, corporations! It does a great job of expressing the unease most people feel about giant corporations, and their hold on society.
Wiki: "The documentary is critical of the modern-day corporation, considering its legal status as a class of person and evaluating its behaviour towards society and the world at large as a psychiatrist might evaluate an ordinary person."
part 1/23 on youtube
playlist with the other 22 parts
Should go well with the documentary Yes Men that urbster1 mentioned earlier.

coolhandsarrah
Feb 17, 2009

HidingFromGoro posted:

Off the Chain

"At the turn of the century, the pit-bull was America's favorite pet. How did it go from Pete in the Little Rascals to public enemy number 1. This documentary is an undercover look at the world of dog fighting and how its damaged the breed. Its not bad dogs, its bad owners."

Don't watch this if you like dogs. :nws: due to graphic violence, language, and footage of do-it-yourself veterinarians.

I watched this one when it was posted in the last thread. I straight-up bawled. The history is really interesting, but the dog fighting stuff... oh man.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Tough crowd... I guess my short didn't make the cut at GBS Film Fest. :)

Jedah fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 20, 2010

Need No Instruction
Jul 23, 2007
To Know How To Rock

BillyRubin posted:

Abel Raises Cain

This one really pops with me. It's about a world-famous pranker of the media, who has for the past thirty-something years has been a professional hoaxer. For a unique perspective on the man, his wife, and his mission to confuse and entertain the world, the documentary is actually made by his daughter.

Thanks! I just watched this whole thing in one sitting. That guy is awesome.

triple
Oct 28, 2004

amusinginquiry posted:

The Corporation

You can view it in better quality at Archive.org without dealing with so many Youtube parts, plus they have direct file downloads of the two parts.

http://www.archive.org/details/The_Corporation_

Off the Grid: Life On The Mesa - http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/off_the_grid_life_on_the_mesa/

Twenty-Five miles from town, a million miles from mainstream society, a loose-knit community of eco-pioneers, teenage runaways, war veterans and drop-outs, live on the fringe and off the grid, struggling to survive with little food, less water and no electricity, as they cling to their unique vision of the American dream…

robot smith
Feb 7, 2010

A good documentary if you want to look at how animals are treated in society, but want to leave out the crazy PETA poo poo, look at the documentary Earthlings. It's very powerful and doesn't sugar coat anything. Be careful though, We saw this with an entire class, and there wasn't a person who wasn't crying. You might even become a vegitarian for a while, I did.

I can't even read vague descriptions of it on here without feeling incredibly depressed. I don't think I can do it.

To contribute:

Gender Redesigner
The story of a female-to-male transsexual man and his journey through medical transition and surgery. It's an incredible movie, and fAe is hilarious. Plus, filmed in my city and I've gotten to meet fAe a few times. He's just darling.

No full movie, but here's the trailer: http://rainbowamerica.org/faetrailer.html

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot

So, I started to watch it. loving DO NOT WATCH IT I can not emphasise this enough. I literally :barf: whilst crying. I had to turn it off. I've become desensitized to so much due to SA and the internet and nothing has ever effected me more.

Maybe I'm a pussy but I swear to God, that is the most sickening thing I've ever watched and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone unless you are going to use it as a torture device.

To contribute:

Children of the State Part 1

This documentary was filmed by Ahn Chol, a journalist who secretly filmed in North Korea. He travelled through North Korea trying to find out what it is like for children that are poor or orphans. He travels to Camp 22, the concentration camp in North Korea as well as the city of Pyongyang, which he describes as 'eerie' 'like a multi-million dollar film set'. It is incredibly moving as well as quite dangerous for Ahn Chol himself.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

amusinginquiry posted:

Haack: The King of Techno
A film about the (amazingly original) electronic musician Bruce Haack. I had never heard of Haack until I watched this documentary. He's definitely one of the most interesting and unique musicians I know of.
an interview with director Phillip Anagnos about the doc
clip of Bruce on Mr. Rogers' Neigborhood

I was really hoping for a better documentary about Bruce Haack. Unfortunately, this one was pretty low budget and they hosed up the most important part of making a good documentary, which was the sound levels. I take it the people who made this film were musicians, and they were celebrating a musician, so loving up the most essential thing, the SOUND, was really unforgivable.

Half the time, the music was drowning out the interviews, or the interviews were drowning out the music. Also, half the people were completely unintelligible because of poorly done mic work or bad reverb (or being stoned out of their gourds). They were interviewing half these people in sound studios! What the gently caress!?

I was also disappointed that they didn't give us a good look at all the custom built sound equipment he made. Was making a trip to his old studios just not in the budget? Surely some of it must still be kicking around somewhere.

While I picked Haak up at the alternative video store down the street (they have a whole wall devoted to documentaries. It's awesome. I loving love living downtown), I also picked up Moog. This documentary only suffered from being too short, but they had enough time to demonstrate some of the great things musicians have done with the instrument over the years. It also happened to get pretty technical at times. Here was Bob Moog himself soldering up some synthesizers and talking about his circuit boards. It was absolutely wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGojNAfqN90&feature=related

I would also like to suggest Theremin

I watched this documentary years ago, and it was absolutely fantastic. Did you know Bob Moog started out building these bad boys? Well, if you watched the previous documentary you do. There were even some pretty awesome Theremin solos in Moog. I say watch them both. Actually, watch them all, even the not so well done Bruce Haack documentary. They all give really excellent insight into the raw beginnings of electronic music.

Trailer: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2784362777/

If you want to build a kind of chronological timeline and are up for a triple header, watch Theremin, Haack, and Moog in that order. Now if only I could find a documentary about Brain Eno to finish it off with. Oh poo poo! There is one! Imaginary Landscapes http://www.artspace.it/flv/brian%20eno.swf gently caress it, I'm never going to get to bed tonight.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 20, 2010

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

amusinginquiry posted:

The Corporation

This is also on Hulu. It's an excellent documentary for the most part, minus Michael Moore's last 10 minutes.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

HidingFromGoro posted:

Torture: America's Brutal Prisons

You know all the terrible things I always post about the US prison system (and Joe Arpaio)? Now you can watch some of those things on video with this British doc. Definitely :nws: due to language, nudity, extreme violence, and Joe Arpaio.

Well this was just loving depressing.

gently caress. This. poo poo. I still have nightmares about that poor blinking raccoon dog. I'm choking back tears now just thinking about it. This is the most brutal thing I have ever, ever seen.

lexleningrad
Feb 19, 2010

Party Hard.
Shake Hands with the Devil: The Journey of Roméo Dallaire

quote:

Between April and June 1994, an estimated 800,000 Rwandans were killed in 100 days. Most of the dead were Tutsis by the hands of the Hutus. The genocide began when Rwandan president Juvenal Habyarimana's plane was shot down above Kigali airport on April 6, 1994.

Canadian Armed Forces General Romeo Dallaire was put in charge of a United Nations peacekeeping force during this 1994 genocide. His proposal called for 5,000 soldiers to permit orderly elections and the return of the refugees. The soldiers were never supplied and the killing began.

The documentary tells the story of the now-retired Lieutenant-General Dallaire, and shows his return to Rwanda after ten years.

One of the most powerful documentary films I've ever seen, if you study international relations it's a must see. Actually, if you have any interest in the future of humanity. It doesn't pull any punches, so be forewarned.

Part One
Part Two

edit: fixed links

lexleningrad fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 20, 2010

gomababe
Oct 5, 2008

I only just managed to get through that, but my God. I'm sitting here looking at my landlady's cat and just crying my eyes out. I don't understand the mentality of the people who do this, why they somehow think it's acceptable to do this to animals but not to humans {I'm sure a small minority would more than likely not bat an eye if others were doing this to humans as well to be honest though}. There has to be some serious mental disconnect going on. Not going to bother with the whole thing, thank you, the trailer was more than enough.

mysmileisfake
Jun 22, 2005
Gimme a break or I'll break your legs.

Angiepants posted:

I love these threads. :allears:

Promises is a 2001 documentary film that examines the Israeli-Palestinian conflict from the perspectives of seven children living in the Palestinian communities in the West Bank and Israeli neighborhoods of Jerusalem.
[Google video]

This is one of my favorite documentaries ever and I recommend it to anyone and everyone who asks.

Wikipedia says there is a follow-up video of that documentary, and I cant find it in google. Do you have a link?

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Should I even ask for some text-version of that Earthlings.com trailer, or is that too much for this thread? Because if it is, I'm perfectly willing to sit in ignorance.

Foamball
Nov 4, 2009

It's not so bad. I made it the whole film.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Fog of War is a documentary where form Secretary of Defense Robert Macnamara explains the 11 lessons that he's learned about war, largely through the failings of the Vietnam War. I was introduced to it last summer in a thread talking about his death. I'm really surprised it hasn't been brought up so far. Early on you learn just how close the world came to blowing up during the Cuban Missile Crisis, which is absolutely loving scary. There's also no animal abuse in this movie.

Ears
Aug 28, 2007

it's true

Jibo posted:

Murderball is a film about a paraplegic wheelchair rugby team, their lives, and their experiences with the paralympics. It's really fantastic, especially in that it's not overly hokey and makes few attempts to tug on your heart strings. Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kaT5dDiISw

came here to post this - the one fella was on an episode of Jackass - he rolled down a ramp and tried to "jump" over Johnny Knoxville who was laying on a float. IN A POOL.

also Zeitgesit - the first 1/3 is about the story of Jesus, how he likely didn't exist, and that most of his story is recycled from faiths like the Eqyptians. Seriously neat. Stop after you watch that, because the other 2/3 is about WTC conspiracy theories and how money is manipulated by shadow agencies.... not so much.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jedah posted:

As a follow up to my last post, here's a goon-exclusive short film. I've been holding off on posting this for a long time. It's transformed from a student project into my debut documentary:

The Sundowner
Synopsis: Unable to ignore the call of the ocean, a civil engineer builds his own fifty-three foot sailboat and sets sail, transforming his dream of life at sea into reality. In jagged waters, he is in turn transformed from a man of hubris to a man of humility.

Part 1 (9:55)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aZakwSRlv8
Part 2 (9:09)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ65a6k4FAk

So far, we've gotten into 4 film festivals, including Slamdance (runs concurrently with Sundance). That was definitely the most surprising one, a real eye opening experience for me. We just took home 2nd place at our last fest. Here's hoping for a few more down the road. Eventually, we'll put it up on the website in much higher quality, but for now, I'm eager to hear your thoughts.

Thanks, that was very nice. Great tone and interesting story. Missed a narrator, but I suppose the text was good enough. Best of luck with being an awesome film maker.

AtomD fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 20, 2010

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

mysmileisfake posted:

Wikipedia says there is a follow-up video of that documentary, and I cant find it in google. Do you have a link?

I've done quite a bit of searching myself and haven't been able to find it. :(

robot smith
Feb 7, 2010

quote:

Black Diamonds: Mountaintop Removal & The Fight for Coalfield Justice is an award-winning documentary exploring coal surface mining, mountaintop removal and radical community resistance in West Virginia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Zb3Tb0oSM

I only saw bits and pieces of this, but came in at the end and got instantly depressed by what corporations have done to this town.

Stadol
Feb 5, 2007

If I write long enough, perhaps something of import will occur. Then again....

Stuporstar posted:

The Nomi Song

A very decent documentary about Klaus Nomi. He was probably the most bizarre musician of the 80s, mixing pop music with opera and donning and alien persona. His live acts were an interesting bit of avant garde theater. He's probably best known for appearing live with David Bowie on Saturday Night Live in 1979. But his fame continues long into his death as a villain on the Venture Brothers! :v:

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/the_nomi_song/

I can't recommend this highly enough. Nomi was immensly gifted, and woefully unacknowledged in his time.

One of the premier countertenors of our time (or any time really).

Sorry for 'sperging on this, I'm a professional singer, and it just hit home with me.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

AtomD posted:

Thanks, that was very nice. Great tone and interesting story. Missed a narrator, but I suppose the text was good enough. Best of luck with being an awesome film maker.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. That means a lot. :) I considered a narrator, but I feel like Jon is very succinct and poetic with his words. He's had a lot of time to reflect on all of this. Ultimately, to me, that felt compelling enough on its own to guide us through the film.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
OP updated with the first 2 pages of links, let me know if any of them are dead or bad. I'll keep updating as and when each page is completed

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

Samurai Goat posted:

Should I even ask for some text-version of that Earthlings.com trailer, or is that too much for this thread? Because if it is, I'm perfectly willing to sit in ignorance.

I don't even know what that means. I think there's a voice-over in the trailer, perhaps by Joaquin Phoenix, as he was pictured on the site, but the words are meaningless. (Maybe this project is what drove him insane.) Unless you're planning on starting some kind of crusade in your life, really, just forget about this thing. I thought maybe it was the mood I was in, or my meds, or god knows what, but despite watching my share of "shock videos" on the internet -- and being genuinely disturbed and sickened by them -- this particular trailer -- just the trailer, mind you -- hosed me up to the point where, days later, just reading others' accounts of having watched it, my head is spinning and my hands are shaking.

But here's my text version, just in case: It's animals being tortured, killed, and filmed in horrific close-up for reasons that I don't even want to know. Yes, there's the familiar "factory farm" stuff, the geese being force-fed with foot-long tubes, the pigs and cows being stuffed together in cells of varying sizes then bludgeoned and gutted; but there are other images I have no explanation for, and do not want to understand. I saw a dog's neck being crushed into mud by a boot, saw something -- I don't even know what -- being skinned alive and its face filling up the screen because the camera operator zoomed in and stood there filming. There's lots of spasming and bugging eyes and suffering. I think I saw a dog being thrown into a trash compactor. I don't know. Luckily I seem to have forgotten most of it. I'm only writing this in the hope that a) through some kind of catharsis I rid myself of the lingering memories, and b) other people will skip this video -- unless, as I said, you're intent on funneling your disgust and sadness into some kind of real activism.

Foamball posted:

It's not so bad. I made it the whole film.

I hope that's trollspeak.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 20, 2010

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
If anyone post's hulu links, could you try and find other sources for us Canadians and other foreigner's? Pwetty pwease!

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

Samuel K. Doe posted:

:nms: The Vice Travel Guide to Liberia :nms:
http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/the-vice-guide-to-liberia-1-of-8

Holy poo poo...

On a related note, some people are doing a documentary on Joshua Blahyi AKA "General Butt Naked."

http://www.generalbuttnakedmovie.com/

The trailer is :nms: due to images of dead bodies. They aren't making GBS threads when they call Blahyi's past "violent." The civil war in Liberia was unbelievably gruesome and he and his soldiers are responsible for all sorts of atrocities involving murder, rape and cannibalism.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Anus Dei posted:

I don't even know what that means. But here's my text version, just in case:

That's exactly what I wanted, and I will be skipping this in its entirety. Thank you.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Halcyon Leviathan posted:

Anyway, for those of you who like depressing documentaries about Romanian orphans who live in the subway and spend most of their time crying, fighting, and huffing paint, I recommend Children Underground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7FQCKJzldI

This was tragic. Also, shocking to me because we really don't have this in the states at all. You have poverty but it's never that bad. Unbelievable. Great documentary.

Bidoof
Jan 8, 2008

Putting in my two cents for Ryan. Quality animation, quality story. I read that he's dead now, after making a semi-comeback on MTV. I think that somewhat undermines the image given in the film, but its still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Areola Canasta
Oct 14, 2007

"You lookin' at me?"
Here's a better copy of Zoo:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/zoo/

Oh, right, a synopsis. Zoo is a controversial, 'critically-acclaimed' documentary about the death of Kevin Pinyan (aka Mr. Hands) and the zoophilia subculture he was involved in. An elegant and informative film about a man getting raped to death by a horse.

Miss Areola Canasta fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 24, 2010