Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009
I just binged through the BBC series "Robin Hood" and found the second half of the finale to be one of the best I have ever seen. It was probably the saddest as well. I also regret finishing it, because now I want to watch it over again.

EDIT: Also I know it was an english show that is cancelled, I would suggest watching it if you have the means.
EDIT 2: Just wanted to also add props to the guy who did the music for this, it was all composed greatly with the scenes.

Dassiell fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

spe posted:

Jack is the best character on Lost followed closely by his dad and Ben. I never understood the Jack hatred, he brings so much awesome intensity and psychosis to the show. The dude doesn't even cool:

JACK: I showered. I mean, I guess I just didn't cool. I -- I wanted to get back down here and check on you. It was a Tour de Stade.
SARAH: What?
JACK: It is when you run all the steps in every section of a stadium up and down.
SARAH: Why would you do that?
JACK: I'm -- I'm intense.

Hahaha that scene and then when he walks in on Kate in the shower are two of my favorite Jack moments.

gently caress the Jack haters, Fox does a great job with the character and he really operates like someone who is forced into the leadership role.

The only characters that I really don't care for are Juliet, Claire, and Sun. Charlie was annoying, but it was only because he was being written as Claire's man-bitch. He could have been really interesting as a supporting character but aside from his destiny that never really manifested as anything. Ana Lucia was pretty hardcore. Eko was awesome. Locke was awesome. In fact, I hope Locke turns out to be correct about everything. I like the whole island-directed fate thing.

Johnny B. Goode fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 20, 2010

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I should quantify, I don't hate Jack. But I've liked Sawyer from the beginning and he has one of the best character arcs on the entire show. He's arguably one of the most developed characters as well. Plus, Jack is whiny about Kate. Sawyer's all, "It ain't gonna suck itself."

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

V-Men posted:

I should quantify, I don't hate Jack. But I've liked Sawyer from the beginning and he has one of the best character arcs on the entire show. He's arguably one of the most developed characters as well. Plus, Jack is whiny about Kate. Sawyer's all, "It ain't gonna suck itself."

Well that's what he puts on. Of course he really likes her but he can't let his loving self-hate complex go to enjoy her. At the beginning of the show I saw the love triangle starting to develop, and I thought I was going to hate it. I'm pleasantly surprised. Also when Sawyer killed the real "Sawyer" he pretty much solidified his personality for the rest of his life.

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Jack is the man, he's completely unhinged and also the Master of Faces.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm about half way through season 2 of The Shield and its starting to lose me. I dunno, its just getting so samey and bland. I love the style of the show, but the stories and characters are just starting to wear on me.

Dassiell
Apr 3, 2009

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm about half way through season 2 of The Shield and its starting to lose me. I dunno, its just getting so samey and bland. I love the style of the show, but the stories and characters are just starting to wear on me.

That happened to me but later on in the series.

fanbase
Jan 21, 2005
I am about to start binging through Weeds. I have heard good things about it but never watched it. I had the series last year but never watched it and just let other people borrowed it. but now I have a new friend and she is really into the series, it is her favorite, so I am going to give it a go. Most of my good friends don't watch any tv so at least I can discuss Weeds with her.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Fonzarelli posted:

The show really started hitting its stride around later Season 2 and Season 3. I'd really recommend that you try to stick it out a bit longer before abandoning it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dassiell posted:

That happened to me but later on in the series.
Strangely enough, same thing for me. I was ambivalent towards the show in the first 2 or so seasons, loved season 4, was emotionally gutted by season 5 (in a good way I guess), but somewhere along the line in season 6 I just sort of wanted to throw up my hands and skip to the end. I wound up reading a summary of season 7 and just don't feel compelled to watch it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I feel obligated to chime in that I thought the latter half of Season 7 of The Shield was by far the most well-executed ending to any quality drama I've ever watched -- and I don't think my opinion is an outlier. I can understand some impatience with Season 6 and the beginning of 7 but eventually it pretty much all pays off with some of the most riveting stuff in the history of the medium.

And the person who's stuck in Season 2, at least finish the season. The events of the Season 2 finale, together with what happens in the pilot, are the catalyst for everything that follows in the series.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I bought both seasons of the post-apocalyptic drama Jericho quite a while ago, but I never got around to watching them until now. The series was really awesome, and watching it on DVD makes the pacing seem so much better.

I also re-watched Daybreak, another series canceled before its time. It's about a cop who wakes up and discovers that he's being framed for murder. The next day he wakes up and it's the same day as yesterday - time is looping for him, and him alone, and it's going to stay that way until he dies or solves the mystery.

It was a really smart show which was very cleverly plotted, and the huge conspiracy was explained in a very satisfying and logical manner. Little things that had been in the show from the very start turned out to be very important. It had some nice tweaks to the "24 does Groundhog Day" gimmick to keep the tension and surprise factor.

I picked up the second season of Life so I'm going to watch both seasons of that now. drat you, Jay Leno.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Walrus posted:

I considered adding that, but didn't because I've never seen it. Also, I've heard the production values are less than stellar, and I wanted to only include, full, beginning-to-end, polished series. Also it seems odd to go "the wire, shield, SFU, Sopranos, and a science fiction show"

Well you did say "and a cartoon." There's no inherent reason why being science fiction (or a cartoon, don't think I am judging you) should disqualify a legitimately great show - the production values notwithstanding, although subjectively that could bring it down.

Two more I'd add to the list are Battlestar Galactica and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. The former, especially, fits into something like the style and tone of the others that were mentioned, as well as having good production values. I would say as long as someone who's looking for good TV isn't dismissing science fiction out of hand, BSG is worth a try.

Babylon 5, on the other hand, does take some effort, especially in the first season. It's a low budget show from the '90s and feels a little more dramatized, something like an opera or stage play. It helps if you can shift to viewing it that way, and let your imagination carry you along.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Oh my loving god, did Jin really have to loving die? That's so goddamn depressing :qq:

I can't believe I haven't been watching this freaking show. One episode you're all like gently caress yea this is awesome and the next you want to just crawl into a corner and die. The only other series I've seen like this is BSG.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

You've got a whole hell of a lot of ups and downs to come in season 5 too. You're gonig to crash hard though when you finish with that and have to adjust to waiting a week between episodes.

SharkMaster
Aug 19, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions guys, will probably give them all a shot.

What's the general opinion on Generation Kill?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

SharkMaster posted:

I thought it was fantastic. I've never it heard be described as anything but a realistic portrayal of life for US forces in Iraq.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SharkMaster posted:

Absolutely amazing. Its only real apt comparison/competition is Band of Brothers, both being war miniseries. But GK deals with a fairly different subject matter and is fairly different in tone, so people mostly like it for a different reason(s) than BoB. For one thing, it absolutely nails marine life and culture. While I love BoB dearly, it is very easy to see after GK how much of it feels like a drama that still glorifies war and its participants on a certain level. GK goes out of its way for example to show that while these guys may have each others' backs, ultimately it is unlikely they'd actually be friends in civilian life. To me, it feels a lot more realistic.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Since I have nothing to watch I binged through The Sopranos for about the fourth time.

I might do Sleeper Cell or Weeds again in the near future.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

SharkMaster posted:

The constant singing got kind of annoying. My only complaint.

spe
Aug 28, 2007

All Stocked Up
Generation Kill is better than Band of Brothers on every level unless you like it when the main theme plays and the hero does something cool.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Oh my Jesus gently caress. I just finished the season 4 finale and.... my... what.... the....

:suicide:

WHAT THE gently caress IT WAS LOCKE?! WHAT THE loving gently caress HOW COULD THEY DO THAT

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

fanbase posted:

I am about to start binging through Weeds. I have heard good things about it but never watched it. I had the series last year but never watched it and just let other people borrowed it. but now I have a new friend and she is really into the series, it is her favorite, so I am going to give it a go. Most of my good friends don't watch any tv so at least I can discuss Weeds with her.

Ah, Weeds. The first season is so great. Just great TV it is. Season 2 is great, too- but be warned, this show takes the sharpest nosedive in quality I've ever seen in my life almost as soon as season 3 begins. By the time Season 4 rolls around the show is almost unrecognizable.

So yeah. Enjoy the first two seasons! I've actually been watching them again and they're just fantastic.

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Oh my Jesus gently caress. I just finished the season 4 finale and.... my... what.... the....

:suicide:

WHAT THE gently caress IT WAS LOCKE?! WHAT THE loving gently caress HOW COULD THEY DO THAT

Despite how extremely wise it would be for you to stop posting till you catch up, I'm getting a serious pleasure out of watching you watch this show.

...chin up.

epic weed mom fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 21, 2010

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
The first three seasons of Newsradio are on Netflix Instant, and I had never seen that show before two nights ago, shamefully. I can't believe I've missed out on this for so long. What a loving great sitcom.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dark Weasel posted:

Despite how extremely wise it would be for you to stop posting till you catch up, I'm getting a serious pleasure out of watching you watch this show.

...chin up.

Why would it be unwise? It's not like someone is going to do this:

Miles dies, Sawyer dies, Juliet dies, Sayid dies. in that order.

..Sorry, what?

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 21, 2010

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

Dark Weasel posted:

Ah, Weeds. The first season is so great. Just great TV it is. Season 2 is great, too- but be warned, this show takes the sharpest nosedive in quality I've ever seen in my life almost as soon as season 3 begins. By the time Season 4 rolls around the show is almost unrecognizable.

So yeah. Enjoy the first two seasons! I've actually been watching them again and they're just fantastic.

tIt's kind of fascinating how that happened, it's like Heroes in that regard. Season 3 isn't all bad, though, it has the hilarious scene where U-Turn does a drive-by as a passenger in Nancy's car.

Druck
Jul 25, 2002

"That's some kinda nice."

Johnny B. Goode posted:

Uh i'm in the middle of the season 3 finale but I had to pause it and say

:rock:gently caress YEESSSSSSS HURLY:rock:

edit: Charlie :cry:

And what the loving holy gently caress. That ending made me so loving depressed. :qq::cry::qq:
god i would give so much to be able to watch that season 3 finale for the first time again. the 9 month wait to season 4 was excrutiating but i'll be damned if it's a flash-FORWARD?!?!?!?!? wasn't the most mind blowing thing i had ever seen on TV.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Druck posted:

god i would give so much to be able to watch that season 3 finale for the first time again. the 9 month wait to season 4 was excrutiating but i'll be damned if it's a flash-FORWARD?!?!?!?!? wasn't the most mind blowing thing i had ever seen on TV.

It's almost too bad they semi gave it away by putting a beard on Jack. I had already heard that would happen from another thread totally unrelated to Lost in which some douchebag spoiled it, but I wasn't actively looking for it (and I had even forgotten about it temporarily), but I realized what was happening the first time we saw Jack all hosed up

Similarly, I knew that was Locke--- in the coffin, and I had never even heard of anything related to that. Some things are pretty obvious, but are still loving awesome when revealed.

edit: It's pretty obvious they're going to bring Locke back somehow (since they have to return to the island), but I'm still interested as poo poo to see how.

Johnny B. Goode fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 21, 2010

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Vivek posted:

Jack is the man, he's completely unhinged and also the Master of Faces.

It has become abundantly clear in recent episodes that Locke is the new master of faces.

Druck
Jul 25, 2002

"That's some kinda nice."

Johnny B. Goode posted:

It's almost too bad they semi gave it away by putting a beard on Jack. I had already heard that would happen from another thread totally unrelated to Lost in which some douchebag spoiled it, but I wasn't actively looking for it (and I had even forgotten about it temporarily), but I realized what was happening the first time we saw Jack all hosed up

Similarly, I knew that was Locke--- in the coffin, and I had never even heard of anything related to that. Some things are pretty obvious, but are still loving awesome when revealed.

edit: It's pretty obvious they're going to bring Locke back somehow (since they have to return to the island), but I'm still interested as poo poo to see how.
Honestly I just assumed Jack got really hosed up after Sarah left him and somehow cleaned himself up just before he got to the island. The twist at the end completely hit me by surprise. Then again I watched it live without any spoilers so that probably had something to do with it. You should stay away from anything Lost related until you get caught up, the surprises are what makes the show!

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
JBG, I'm guessing you'll turn around on Juliet soon. She was a total Mary Sue in her earlier appearances but she becomes a really compelling character right around where you are.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

JBG, I'm guessing you'll turn around on Juliet soon. She was a total Mary Sue in her earlier appearances but she becomes a really compelling character right around where you are.

I don't think that means what you think it means.

Juliet still gets awesome though.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I just finished Rome. Holy production values, Batman!

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008
Just binged through series 1 and 2 of 'Sons of Anarchy' the series finale was loving incredible. Anyone now if a series 3 is in production?

dirigible stew
Feb 18, 2006

the_cow_fan posted:

Just binged through series 1 and 2 of 'Sons of Anarchy' the series finale was loving incredible. Anyone now if a series 3 is in production?
Sutter and crew have already started writing the eps.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
I really don't like this whole omg they have to get back to the island plot. It just screams that the writers second guessed their decision at the end of season 4.

That said, I would rather them be on the island than off of it so I'm not too upset with it.

edit: Also this Sawyer and Juliet: Wonder-years of the 70s is almost too much for me to handle. loving out of left field and pretty pointless.

Johnny B. Goode fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 22, 2010

Vivek
Jun 27, 2007

What part of "We have to go back!" didn't you understand?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma

Vivek posted:

What part of "We have to go back!" didn't you understand?

Is this a serious question or a play of words?

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
So what is the universal goon opinion on Lost Season 5? Everyone raves about season 4 and rightfully so, but so far the whole "holy poo poo it's the 70s" has been pretty campy.

That said the episode where they have to save little Ben loving owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
Season 5 the worst in terms of "you'll see where we're going with this later" episodes. I wasn't wild about it until the finale came along and put all of the pieces into place, and now it's probably my favorite season.

Finale Spoilers: I love that Jack leads his people to be suicide bombers on the loving timeline. There are a load of great religious references and imagery throughout the season.

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 22, 2010