Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
I figured it could be a good idea to have a thread focusing merely on news from the auto-industry.
More specifically, new models coming out from the manufacturers.
I don't know about you guys, but I like to keep up to date on most things car related.

What I picture this thread to be, is a place to post new cars that some, or most people may not be aware of yet. Then we can discuss what we think, until someone post something more interesting.

Please post any news with the obvious facts like, manufacturer, model name and basic facts.

I just came across the new VW Polo GTI today, and I have to say, it looks brilliant.

It'll have a Twin Charged 1.4 liter engine, producing 180 hp at 6200 rpm.
It's also got 250 NM of torque all the way from 2000 to 4500 rpm.
Put it together with a 7 speed DSG gearbox, and it'll get from 0-100 km/h in 6.9 secs and max out at 230 km/h.

The car will be available in both 3 and 5 door versions, and has the advanced ESP and electronic diff from the Golf GTI. It's also lowered 15 mm from the factory, and will be delivered with 17" rims as standard.

Prices aren't revealed yet though, but it's a 1.4, how bad can they be?
I really think this will be a fun car to drive, it's the same size as the original Golf GTi, but with even more power. I also think VW did a great job on making it look a lot less cheap than the previous model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Those are the coolest seats I've ever seen.

Carry on.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Hermansen posted:

Prices aren't revealed yet though, but it's a 1.4, how bad can they be?

With both a turbocharger AND a supercharger! :psyduck:

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.

Method Loser posted:

I guess that's why ze germans gets almost as much horsepower out of 1.4 liters, as americans do from 4.

Hermansen fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 21, 2010

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Hermansen posted:

I guess that's why ze germans gets almost as much horsepower out of 1.4 liters, as americans do from 4.

There's no replacement for d

...oh yeah

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Hermansen posted:

You should see what happens when Americans put turbos on their supercharged engines. ;)

the chic in psychic
Jun 18, 2005
U r Stinky Mcbutt mkay?
As a Eurogoon, im one of the few with the previous generation Polo Gti, with the 1,8T, its a great car, and because its a bit cheaper, its a great alternative to the larger Golf Gti, BUT, VW seems to be incapable of ironing out the old nagging issues with the 1,8, at 8000km's its allready eaten a turbocharger (Thank god warranty covered that) and a hose cracked, that made the boost go willy-nilly, and put the car in limp-mode, and yeah it sucked, but otherwise its been a great car, and its really fun on curvy backroads, and i cant wait to see how the new one performs, might go and testdrive one when they hit the showrooms here

And, as a bonus, i got almost exactly those seats, but without the alcantra(?) sides :cool:

Edit: And if you have any questions about the new Polo, i can try to answer them, because i have test driven two of the new generation Polo's, one them had the 1,4 petrol, and the other one was the TDI

the chic in psychic fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 21, 2010

localized
Mar 30, 2008
I really dig that side profile. I hate those wheels though...

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Those are the coolest seats I've ever seen.

Carry on.

The design used for MKV's are cooler IMO

Best picture I could find

Every part where two or more colours interesct there is a fuzzy bit.:3:

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I kind of like individual threads for each piece of automotive news.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
I want to drive a 1.4TFSI, my friend with a chipped 2.0t golf drove one while he was in France and said it was fun as poo poo.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Comrade Flynn posted:

I kind of like individual threads for each piece of automotive news.

I don't think there would be a problem having both. Some topics would warrant an outside conversation so it didn't derail the general news topic. I think this can be a cool thread. Minor news can go in here too, that no one cares about, watch I'll show you:

Dodge unveiled a new color for the Challenger, Furious Fuchsia. It's a take on the old Panther Pink. It even comes with white pearl interior.

SRT8 trim, only 400 available:

Click here for the full 1280x833 image.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...

VikingSkull posted:

I don't think there would be a problem having both. Some topics would warrant an outside conversation so it didn't derail the general news topic. I think this can be a cool thread. Minor news can go in here too, that no one cares about, watch I'll show you:

Dodge unveiled a new color for the Challenger, Furious Fuchsia. It's a take on the old Panther Pink. It even comes with white pearl interior.

SRT8 trim, only 400 available:

Click here for the full 1280x833 image.

:rice: fuschia?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Beowulf posted:

:rice: fuschia?

That designer lived his live one drop of semen at a time.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Method Loser posted:

VW did the Golf GT a while ago, it also had a turbocharger and a supercharger, but apparently it never really worked well.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

the chic in psychic posted:

VW seems to be incapable of ironing out the old nagging issues with the 1,8, at 8000km's its allready eaten a turbocharger

Blown turbos were an issue with the 1.8, but that engine was put to rest in 2006 wasn't it? It was replaced with the first-gen 2.0T, and the second-gen 3 years later.

the chic in psychic
Jun 18, 2005
U r Stinky Mcbutt mkay?

el topo posted:

Blown turbos were an issue with the 1.8, but that engine was put to rest in 2006 wasn't it? It was replaced with the first-gen 2.0T, and the second-gen 3 years later.

I think they kept a pile of 1,8T's somewhere, because the Polo Gti's between 2006-2008 have the 1,8T

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

I'd love to get one of those Polo's. I have a huge soft-spot for small, fast cars. Unfortunately, I live in Canada, so they only option is the Mini Cooper S, and by the time you get one of those, you could get a Golf GTI for almost the same price.

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.
While sort of still on the topic of the new Polo, here's its sister, the Audi A1.

Just like the Polo GTI it is expected to make it's first appearance at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show.
Sales of the initial 3-door A1 model are anticipated to start in continental Europe in the summer of 2010, followed by the United Kingdom in September 2010. A 5-door A1 Sportback model is also expected to be launched later

The engines range will initially comprise turbocharged 1.2 (86 PS) and 1.4 litre (122 PS) petrol engines, plus a 1.6 litre common rail diesel engine (105 PS)

Being an Audi, it will probably cost more than the Polo, but in my opinion.. the Polo looks better, inside and out. Yes, I do realize there might be something like an S1 someday, to compete with the Polo GTI, but frankly, the basic Polo looks better than the basic A1 to me.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

By the way, would anyone be able to layer both the sideviews of the two cars on top of each other? I want to see how similar they really are..
I can't find a bigger image of the Polo..

Hermansen fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 22, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hermansen posted:

By the way, would anyone be able to layer both the sideviews of the two cars on top of each other? I want to see how similar they really are..

To me, it looks more similar to a Mini Cooper or ever the Mini Coupe concept.

Other news:
GQ ranks the 10 most stylin cars per decade:
http://www.gq.com/cars-gear/cars/201001/most-stylish-cars-in-history
For the most part I agree with the list, until the 2000s. Need some distance before I can judge some of the cars of the present.

Hennessey hopped up the Raptor to produce an even more ridiculous Velociraptor (:downsrim:):
http://jalopnik.com/5468801/hennessey-velociraptor-500-first-drive
Well at least you're honest, John:

John Hennessey posted:

We make fast cars faster. In this case, we made a slow truck faster.

Garth Vader
Jul 10, 2007

by Peatpot
Finally, a news thread! I was getting sick of seeing jalopnik jr. headlines as thread titles.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Naky posted:

That designer lived his live one drop of semen at a time.

Wait until they re-release Statutory Grape.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Just saw this on TG. Looks rather tasty.

2010 Audi Rs5

quote:

TopGear.co.uk
Revealed: Audi RS5

"We weren't supposed to find out about this until next week, but call it an early GenevaPresent. Ready? OK.

Audi has revealed the RS5 - a 444bhp rival for the BMW M3 Coupe - ahead of its Geneva debut after brochure details were leaked onto the internet by some naughty rapscallions of loose morals.
But to heck with the back-story. Let's kick off with the Big Numbers: the four-wheel-drive RS5 will crack 62mph in 4.6 seconds and run to 155mph - unless you ask Audi very nicely to remove the limiter, in which case it'll hit 174mph. Yes, it's faster - and more powerful - than the M3 Coupe.
That 444bhp comes courtesy of a reworked version of the R8's 4.2-litre V8, making a full 30bhp more and driving all four wheels through a seven-speed DSG gearbox. A new centre diff feeds 60 per cent of the torque to the rear wheels in normal driving, but can send up to 85 per cent to the rear - or 70 per cent to the front - in extreme conditions. Oh, and you can turn the ESP off. Like, properly off. Good.
Visual differences from the S5 could best be described as ‘subtle': there's a new front splitter and bigger air intakes, with a retractable spoiler round the back that raises at 75mph, a feature officially known as the ‘Ooh, look at me, officer!' wing.
We're expecting the RS5 to cost around £60,000 when it goes on sale later this year, making it more expensive than that M3 Coupe. We'll bring you more details from the Geneva show next week. Waddya think, y'all?"
More pics at: http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/audi-rs5-2010-02-22

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 22, 2010

Blocko
Jul 12, 2008

Spoiler alert: Blood Ravens are actually Hiigarans who got sucked into the warp, were sent back in time to fight in WWII against the Panzer Elite, then stole a nazi time machine to go into the future and save mankind from an army of Lobster-Elephants and other impossible creatures.

Rated R.

Preoptopus posted:

That looks like pure evil. I would kill for one of those.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.
Most audis look pretty awful to me but I liked the A5 and was wondering if they would do an RS5 to compete with the M3...

Das Volk defend yourself!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
AWD is cool and all that but if that was RWD it would somehow be more amazing.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

2010 Audi Rs5

Looks like poo poo in the red on the Top Gear site. The black looks unbelievable, though. And I agree about the AWD.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hermansen posted:

I heard the twincharger engine won't come to the U.S.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Heh, I didn't understand what you guys were posting about until I checked the US price for the old RS4. Apparently in the US the RS4 starts at $66k, similar to the M3 as you would expect.

I'm baffled as to why in Canada the RS4 starts at $95,000, considering the M3 sedan starts at $69,000, not much more than the US price.

Maybe that's why they weren't selling well in Canada. V:saddowns:V

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Nah, we Canadians just plain get screwed by the Canadian subsidiary of the carmakers. :canada:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Heh, I didn't understand what you guys were posting about until I checked the US price for the old RS4. Apparently in the US the RS4 starts at $66k, similar to the M3 as you would expect.

I'm baffled as to why in Canada the RS4 starts at $95,000, considering the M3 sedan starts at $69,000, not much more than the US price.

Maybe that's why they weren't selling well in Canada. V:saddowns:V

You can import RS2s now, AOC did it so people will bring those in instead.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

el topo posted:

Nah, we Canadians just plain get screwed by the Canadian subsidiary of the carmakers. :canada:

But that's not even it? In every other country the RS4 is a M3 competitor, except in Canada where it costs the same as an M5? What?

EDIT: That's why I never even realized the RS4 was an M3 competitor. To me it was always the ":lol:$95,000:lol: A4".

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 23, 2010

Hermansen
Sep 2, 2006

Breaker, Breaker,
High Ball, Ten Ten,
Till We Do It Again,
Captain Slow.

Preoptopus posted:

Apparently the RS5 will have a brand new generation of the Quattro four wheel drive system, with a much more advanced center differential. There will still be a 40/60 distribution between the front and the back, but now it's also capable of sending 70% to the front or even 85% to the back when needed.
An electronic torque-distributor between the wheels on each axel will also boast sporty abilites.
More so, there will also be a "sport differential" as an extra option on the rear axel.

I like the look of thing thing, I really do.. But if I was able to fork out the money it costs, I'd be in a Porsche quicker than you can say Germany.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Basically the Canadian subsidiary set their prices to be 20 to 40% (in the case of Volvo) higher than the American price and they blame it on the exchange rate. It doesn't pass the smell test, they're regularly asked to explain it, and they don't. They have a local monopoly over their brands and they're milking it.

Edit: this isn't about the RS4 specifically but I did the research on this back in 2006 when the CAD was momentarily worth more then the USD.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

el topo posted:

Basically the Canadian subsidiary set their prices to be 20 to 40% (in the case of Volvo) higher than the American price and they blame it on the exchange rate. It doesn't pass the smell test, they're regularly asked to explain it, and they don't. They have a local monopoly over their brands and they're milking it.

Edit: this isn't about the RS4 specifically but I did the research on this back in 2006 when the CAD was momentarily worth more then the USD.

What the Christ are you talking about? Are you responding to my posts? I'm not comparing it to the US price. The M3 starts at CAD$69k, the C63 starts at CAD$63k. What is the CAD$95k RS4 supposed to be competing against?

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 23, 2010

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Throatwarbler posted:

What the Christ are you talking about? Are you responding to my posts? I'm not comparing it to the US price. The M3 starts at CAD$69k, the C63 starts at CAD$63k. What is the CAD$95k RS4 supposed to be competing against?

I think hes saying it only applies to some brands which is why its skewed.

Over here an M3 is AU$170k and a Carrera S is AU$250k, and our money is similar so...

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

I think hes saying it only applies to some brands which is why its skewed.

It isn't. The regular A4/A6 isn't any more expensive than a 3/5 series or C/E class.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Hermansen posted:

Apparently the RS5 will have a brand new generation of the Quattro four wheel drive system, with a much more advanced center differential. There will still be a 40/60 distribution between the front and the back, but now it's also capable of sending 70% to the front or even 85% to the back when needed.
An electronic torque-distributor between the wheels on each axel will also boast sporty abilites.
More so, there will also be a "sport differential" as an extra option on the rear axel.

The 2010 S4 already has that, it's the Gen 5(6?) quattro system I believe.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 23, 2010

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

Preoptopus posted:

2010 Audi Rs5

Very hot car, but no manual makes me sad. I also wonder how they're going to deal with carbon buildup issues in this car, or if they have anything at all planned to alleviate the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I want that Polo GTI so bad.