Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Really pointy brushes, really steady hands, and a bunch of practice, I'd imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Sold his soul, actually.

Matgash
Apr 25, 2008

Know no fear!
Ok, so here is my WIP Tigurius, still need to do a few bits and touch up in a couple of places.

Click here for the full 1824x1368 image.

My question is, how should I do the eyes/face? I have always struggled with faces, which is why all my marines wear helmets! Any help would be appreciated as its the best model I have ever done and I don't want to ruin him by cocking it up.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Matgash posted:

Ok, so here is my WIP Tigurius, still need to do a few bits and touch up in a couple of places.

Click here for the full 1824x1368 image.

My question is, how should I do the eyes/face? I have always struggled with faces, which is why all my marines wear helmets! Any help would be appreciated as its the best model I have ever done and I don't want to ruin him by cocking it up.

I'd say put a few Elf Flesh highlights on the raised areas of his face: tip of his nose, cheek bones, etc. It'll help his face pop a little more, just be sparing in your application.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

The Good Professor posted:

A redshirt is currently trying to persuade my friend to paint his salamanders skin anything other than pure black. I of course am opposing him since coal-skinned salamanders are rad as hell.

Honestly painting anything pure black is probably a mistake. It doesn't leave you any colors to use for shadows. I think that's one of the few things I remember from art classes - oil painters almost never use pure white or black except to mix with other colors. I always recommend my friends use a very dark brown or blue if they are painting something 'black'.

If he does want to go with black skin, look at some photos to get some guidelines on how to best pull it off (Salamanders with tribal style face paint/tattoos would be neat)

http://www.loupiote.com/photos/2917217657.shtml

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah he shouldn't try to do pure black- more like dark greyish base with almost-black to black shading and lighter gray highlights. When I do mine I base it gray than wash the poo poo out of it with multiple washes of badab black.

According to the book, Salamanders do a lot of ritual scars/brands which makes sense with the whole fire thing. Basically the longer they live, the more they have. But they start on the chest, I think, and only the most senior dudes have them on their faces. I'd have no idea how to paint scars like that nor would I have the ability to do that kind of intense detail work.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 22, 2010

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Here's some WIP pics of my Stormcaller who's rolling along nicely. This is a little more than a single night of work, he's a lot of fun to paint and came together pretty quickly. Just have to do his arms/staff and some clean up and he's done.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hell Diver posted:

Here's some WIP pics of my Stormcaller who's rolling along nicely. This is a little more than a single night of work, he's a lot of fun to paint and came together pretty quickly. Just have to do his arms/staff and some clean up and he's done.

Hell Diver, you're making me want to play Space Wolves. Stop it. :mad:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I might steal your wolf pelt ideas, Im painting up some TT style SW characters this week

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaintVagrant posted:

I might steal your wolf pelt ideas, Im painting up some TT style SW characters this week

Like most of the painting I do I try to boil down to as few steps as possible, so I do Cathan Brown with a Devlan wash and Khemri Brown/Kommando/Bleached Bone for the light areas. The black was mainly a way to break up the big patch of fur, but I need to blend it better on the head. I'm sure you can execute on the idea far more capably.

I'm kind of bummed that his beard/face is my favorite part of the model but they didn't photograph that well. :(

PierreTheMime posted:

Hell Diver, you're making me want to play Space Wolves. Stop it. :mad:

Just give in, you know you want some Thunderwolves.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 22, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've just removed the mold lines from 25 torso fronts, backs & pairs of legs. Tomorrow, arms, heads & backpacks. Eye-gougingly fun stuff.

Also, have set a personal challenge, how many skulls can I get on a single dude. With a legswap & a belt buckle swap I'm up to 4 at the chest. Head, arms, shoulder pads, backpack & weapons should get this one dude up to 13, now just to find a helmet with a skull on it. I may go all Spacehulk with the base though, stuff it with every skull I've removed from the chaos sprues. Is there a plastic spacemarine helmet that looks like a skull?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Cakefool posted:

Is there a plastic spacemarine helmet that looks like a skull?

There's a good CSM one you can file down to remove some of the chaosy stuff.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

KingMob posted:

Crossposting from the Warmahordes thread:

God drat, that's a sweet looking Kraye.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fix posted:

There's a good CSM one you can file down to remove some of the chaosy stuff.

I'm looking through that set now, not sure which one you mean...

I ordered the SM casualties on Thursday, free next day delivery hasn't turned up yet <:mad:>

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Cakefool posted:

I'm looking through that set now, not sure which one you mean...

Click here for the full 1632x916 image.

The one on the left.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Hell Diver posted:

Your painting is repeatedly clean, They look really great!

I think my major issue is not being able to tell where the detailed points are. What to paint a different color, where to paint a different color. I think I could paint better if I knew just a few of those basic ideas. Hell or PV, if you have any suggestions that would be awesome.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fix posted:

Click here for the full 1632x916 image.

The one on the left.

Huh, I don't have one of those. I have 2 boxes of CSM, I take it that's from a different box?
I will also steal the idea of using the tabards to disguise the cut-up legs, I never seem to get the upper legs to look right.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Cakefool posted:

Huh, I don't have one of those. I have 2 boxes of CSM, I take it that's from a different box?
I will also steal the idea of using the tabards to disguise the cut-up legs, I never seem to get the upper legs to look right.

You get one in each of the new-ish Chaos Space Marine boxes. I bought a few boxes of CSM a year or two ago and they have them.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Anphrax posted:

Your painting is repeatedly clean, They look really great!

I think my major issue is not being able to tell where the detailed points are. What to paint a different color, where to paint a different color. I think I could paint better if I knew just a few of those basic ideas. Hell or PV, if you have any suggestions that would be awesome.

I tend to work fairly methodically through my models as I get easily sidetracked. The best thing for me is to start with the big picture and work my way down to the little stuff.

I always start by basecoating everything. For the average space wolf I'll paint the whole model codex grey. Then paint one shoulder pad Iyanden, then the other mechrite, all of the wolf pelts cathan brown, then the bone Khemri brown, etc., etc., etc.

Blocking the model out in this way can really help you put everything in its place before you get too focused on highlighting or picking out the little details. It also gives you a better guide to work from than just painting one section at a time, as it can still sometimes be hard to get an idea of how the colors will interact if you're just building one area up at a time.

tl;dr: Basecoat everything first. This helps you get a big picture of the model and then start working from the biggest stuff downward.

As for actual color selection, a lot of that comes from practice and trying different things out. What does help me is that I have pretty routine ways of painting different materials and I take the time to decide on what will be what before I get past the basecoat stage. A good concept can be just as valuable as steady hand when it comes to painting.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 22, 2010

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

You get one in each of the new-ish Chaos Space Marine boxes. I bought a few boxes of CSM a year or two ago and they have them.

:( drat. I'll make a note for the next bits buy.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

PaintVagrant posted:

This. That librarian's eyes are awesome, and a little bit scary.

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
There's also a berserker head that is more skull-like and less helmet-like iirc, but you would need to cut off the bunny ears.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
I'm looking to attempt some wetblending on my fire dragons helmets, from blazing orange to an orange/golden yellow blend (towards yellow for pure yellow edge highlights) and I'm wondering - is it better to do orange basecoat & wash, then pure orange at the top and blend in 2 or 3 strips of progressively lighter yellow/orange down to the yellowest parts, or basecoat yellow then paint orange at the top and drag it down through the still wet yellow, reapplying orange in smaller areas until only the deepest bits are pure orange? should i skip basecoating alltogether and start straight off with the blends? I've seen it done a few different ways and it's still a little hard to follow

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Cakefool posted:

I've just removed the mold lines from 25 torso fronts, backs & pairs of legs. Tomorrow, arms, heads & backpacks. Eye-gougingly fun stuff.

Also, have set a personal challenge, how many skulls can I get on a single dude. With a legswap & a belt buckle swap I'm up to 4 at the chest. Head, arms, shoulder pads, backpack & weapons should get this one dude up to 13, now just to find a helmet with a skull on it. I may go all Spacehulk with the base though, stuff it with every skull I've removed from the chaos sprues. Is there a plastic spacemarine helmet that looks like a skull?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1310001&prodId=prod550008a

crap. not plastic.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I swear I read about some fantasy skull helmet that people use to convert up chaplains, but I'd have no idea where to look.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
It is on the Chaos Warriors sprue.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Meh, I'll survive, it was only to see how many skulls I could get on one guy out of the box.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I'm not sure about the fantasy head, but isn't there a skully chaos space marine helmet people use to make chaplains?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

NecronSchmecron posted:

I'm not sure about the fantasy head, but isn't there a skully chaos space marine helmet people use to make chaplains?

Yeah, that's the one I indicated.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Nah there's another one different to that. I'll try to find a pic but there's an awesome variant of it on the chaos vehicle accessories sprue that has a big rear end bionic eye on it.

Remove studs from helmet = awesome-o chaplain helmet

edit: ding ding! this guys used it for... a chaplain conversion! :downs:

enri fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 23, 2010

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fix posted:

Yeah, that's the one I indicated.

BAH! I fail, and apologize, good sir.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's ages since I posted anything, so here's a bit of wip. I call him... Mr. Ploppy.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Cakefool posted:

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/skulls-bases-round-25mm-p-142.html

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

But those are...bases? :psyduck:

Here's a good head, I used it in a Chaplain conversion awhile back.

EDIT: And here's the Fantasy skull head people mentioned earlier. From personal experience I'll tell you know that should need to trim the back of it a little bit for it to fit on a Marine torso.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 23, 2010

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Just wanted to say, Helldiver, KingMob, PV and RJS you guys have made the last two pages many shades of awesome. Your paintjobs all look awesome and effortless

:awesome:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
So a local tournament has been announced for late march. I decided to register.

I've also decided to paint and base more in a month than I have done in the past year. :psyboom:

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

NecronSchmecron posted:

So a local tournament has been announced for late march. I decided to register.

I've also decided to paint and base more in a month than I have done in the past year. :psyboom:

You've got this. Vehicles are easy and fun to paint and you have done a beautiful job on the other guys. How many points at the tournament and what does your list look like?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Its 1750 and its kind of a stupid list.

HQ
Vulkan
libby w/ terminator armor storm shield
Null Zone, Might of the Ancients (thinking of changing this since I will almost always have Null Zone up at close range)

Troop
x2 10 tac marines combi flamer power weapon
flamer multi melta

Elite
10 Assault terminators w/ thunderhammer storm shields

10 sternguard w/ 4 combi melta 1 meltagun
rhino

Dreadnought w/ extra armor multi melta, heavy flamer
drop pod

Heavy support
Whirlwind

1750 on the nose.

I've already undercoated the rhino, whirlwind and the drop pod (almost) with knarloc green. The Dreadnought's lava basing is all he really needs and that is nearly finished. I'll post pics when he's fin.

Edit: Update. Brother Rone was a non conformist. He said "NO!" to base centering.

NecronSchmecron fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 24, 2010

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

bhsman posted:

But those are...bases? :psyduck:

Here's a good head, I used it in a Chaplain conversion awhile back.

EDIT: And here's the Fantasy skull head people mentioned earlier. From personal experience I'll tell you know that should need to trim the back of it a little bit for it to fit on a Marine torso.

Yeah, those are bases. If one was going to try to put the most skulls on one marine then they should get the most skulls as possible on his base too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
So, I'm bored.
Well, not so much bored as I am out of ideas for photo tutorials for the thread.
So, I turn to you, fellow Goons, for suggestions.

Let me know what you want to see--anything non-painting is fine--and I'll get to it. I've covered a lot of "green stuff" in the past, and I could always use practice for more, different things that I have yet to try.

• Locked thread