Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thom Yorke can suck my dick

So can Michelle Shirelle for that matter

Oh yeah musician bj snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Sugar Blaster posted:

"I wanna kiss you on the lips."

3/4 of the lyrics for a radiohead song:

"Even though I might, even though I try, I can't."

Of course I'm listening to Turbonegro so who am I to criticize lyrics.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Gee guys that's a lot of backlash for saying I like a band.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

drunk asian neighbor posted:

This is the ska thread, we have a lot of that building up inside us.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

drunk asian neighbor posted:

You listen to ska, you should be used to it

Tip the veal and try the waitress I'm here till Thursday

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I don't remember seeing this in the thread - there's a track list on wikipedia right now:

"Birds Flying Away" (originally by Mason Jennings)
"Hell" (originally by Squirrel Nut Zippers)
"Just" (originally by Radiohead)
"Skyscraper" (originally by Bad Religion)
"Punk Rock Girl" (originally by The Dead Milkmen)
"Linoleum" (originally by NOFX)
"Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" (originally by Paul Simon)
["They Provide the Paint" (originally by Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution) Oh come on really
"Red Rubber Ball" (originally by The Cyrkle)
"The Troubador" (originally by Louis Jordan)
"Such Great Heights" (originally by The Postal Service)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
He's covered something of his on every album he's done post-Keasbey Nights, except for SitB, that's really not surprising

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

Dickeye posted:

He's covered something of his on every album he's done post-Keasbey Nights, except for SitB, that's really not surprising

Haha not even. He covered Supernothing from Smiles for Macavity on both Rules of the Game and Keasbey Nights. Then on A Call to Arms he covered Dear Sergio. On Everything Goes Numb he covered Heres To Life and Keasbey Nights was all covers. Even Smiles for Macavity had a cover of One Tin Soldier.

So basically the only album Tomas ever did without any sort of cover at all was Somewhere in the between.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
poo poo I forgot about Supernothing, but the rest of that was all included in "Post-KN" because I didn't feel like typing it all out and lookin' like a sperglord

So thanks I guess

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

So I just got an email from the RISC store tonight saying the poster and 99 Songs vinyl I ordered were shipped. :aaa:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Man enough hating on the Steinways.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

FateoMcSkippy posted:

So I just got an email from the RISC store tonight saying the poster and 99 Songs vinyl I ordered were shipped. :aaa:

Skip I think you know what I'm going to ask you to do when it arrives

DRD
Aug 8, 2008

Cheesegod posted:

So basically the only album Tomas ever did without any sort of cover at all was Somewhere in the between.
Didn't Somewhere in the Between have songs that he started writing during the Keasbey Nights era?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That doesn't make them covers. Just old songs that he never finished writing. Covers would mean that he'd previously released them.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

http://skamania.org/

Who wants to go create the largest Ska festival ever there?

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

FateoMcSkippy posted:

http://skamania.org/

Who wants to go create the largest Ska festival ever there?

Only if we could get a ska band to reunite as the main piece. Suburban Rhythm or something.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every high school ska band has to get back together. That includes known ska bands that started in high school like The Hippos and the original version of Rx Bandits.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I thought about this, and I came to a conclusion: You need to have three good bands playing and then all the others are just god-awful poo poo local bands

The catch is, the three good bands open the whole thing because it gets people thinking that holy poo poo something awesome is gonna happen I mean fuckin' Streetlight opened, and then it's just some band doing really bad LTJ covers

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

25 bands all doing a cover of "The Impression That I Get."

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only if they all play at the same time and it's the marching band version.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Miscellaneous_T posted:

Only if we could get a ska band to reunite as the main piece. Suburban Rhythm or something.

Five Iron Frenzy :smith:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Miscellaneous_T posted:

25 bands all doing a cover of "The Impression That I Get."

137 bands play Bad Town, badly, at the same time

Historians will later cite this as the lowest point in human history

Crowe
Sep 10, 2003
Where is the bomb!?
Hey I'm in a trad ska and reggae band based in Devon, England called The Simmertones. We play covers of artists such as Prince Buster, Desmond Dekker, Toots and the Maytals and Justin Hinds as well as original material. Been gigging over two years now and its sounding pretty good.

We've done some recording too recently. Check out this cover of the Doctor Who theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1EyR8ClqX0. It's had airplay on both local radio and the other week on national Radio One on Mike Davies' late night ska/punk show. If you like it there's more where that came from on http://www.thesimmertones.co.uk. Hope you guys like.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Every high school ska band has to get back together. That includes known ska bands that started in high school like The Hippos and the original version of Rx Bandits.

But ever single member of my ska band goes to different colleges now !

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
I found a headliner for this thing!

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Everyone cancel your orders, Tip The Van does a better cover of Such Great Heights

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That led me to Tip the Van and RBF doing She Has A Girlfriend Now and goddamn the girls in Tip the Van are good looking, I always forget this until I see another video

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Ooooo look what came in the mail today:

Along with a Bosstones zippo and a Streetlight poster. Good day for ska.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I have a feeling these might be final tracks though :ohdear:

I dunno about tracks other than Such Great Heights (as that's all I've listened to) but if you listen to the leaked S.G.H. and the preview of it on the official site, the guitar and horns sound drastically different, at least in audio quality.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Dickeye posted:

That led me to Tip the Van and RBF doing She Has A Girlfriend Now and goddamn the girls in Tip the Van are good looking, I always forget this until I see another video

I like Tip The Van plenty. I hope they make it as much as a ska band can.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
http://www.skabrewing.com/main.html Two of my favorite things have finally come together.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I see someone read the Post What You Bought thread and then googled ska brewing. Like I did.

They only sell it in a small area though. :(

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
Yep, and yep. My local liquor store is pretty good about ordering things, but the highest abv of their regular brews was 6% and that's just not going to support my alcoholism.

On a more Ska related note - is Catch 22 no longer a band? Their last website or myspace update is at least 2 years old. While, I didn't like their last album Dinosaur sounds was alright, and they were totally kickass live even on the songs that were mediocre.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 24, 2010

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

They played with the Bosstones on Aug 15th last year. That's the last I've heard of them. They played like poo poo then. Said something about not being able to play any songs of Keasbey. Which are really the only songs I wanna hear.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What's been the general consensus on Permanent Revolution anyway? I liked a couple songs off it.

I also liked Dinosaur Sounds, but it seems I'm the only one who does. :(

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

aricoarena posted:

On a more Ska related note - is Catch 22 no longer a band? Their last website or myspace update is at least 2 years old. While, I didn't like their last album Dinosaur sounds was alright, and they were totally kickass live even on the songs that were mediocre.

The live CD they released is one of the worst cds I have ever heard. Dinosaur Sounds was pretty bad. If they are still playing I wish they would stop because its just sad of how far they have fallen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dinosaur Sounds is mediocre but gently caress you the live album is good

On a semi-related note, I'm calling it now: the next Streetlight 99SOR album (in 2037) will have a studio recording of Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

CodfishCartographer posted:

I also liked Dinosaur Sounds, but it seems I'm the only one who does. :(
I like Dinosaur Sounds well enough musically, but lyrically it's awkward as gently caress.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dickeye posted:

I'm calling it now: the next Streetlight 99SOR album (in 2037) will have a studio recording of Point/Keasbey/Counterpoint

I would go for this, if only so I don't have to watch terrible-quality youtube videos to hear the compilation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I thought Permanent Revolution had two good songs, and two ok songs, but overall as an album it was plain old bad. Dinosaur Sounds I like for the most part, the music is solid to great (great being the instrumental) and while the bad songs are just god awful its pretty good and I can just skip the 2 songs i don't like. I think touring for that album was the last time I saw them, or maybe one more time after that with Big D and the Kids Table, and sweet jesus what the gently caress happened to them. I couldn't even make it though the last Big D album.