Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Mithaldu posted:

I haven't installed the beta over my email/rss-install on my work machine yet. Does the beta delete that or what?

I think notes get synchronized with Opera Link so I just keep a list of websites in a note that gets carried over. I haven't bothered to do e-mail and RSS on the beta yet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Immediately closes, as you would expect from any piece of software.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Kameleon posted:

Immediately closes, as you would expect from any piece of software.

drat, even with a directory install in something like "Opera Please Work", no Opera Linking, no older files, bare bones install it won't behave. :(

Seduced Milkman
Aug 26, 2007

Oui Milou, c'est quelque chose d'horrible.
Yet another new snapshot. Don't these people ever sleep?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ape Agitator posted:

drat, even with a directory install in something like "Opera Please Work", no Opera Linking, no older files, bare bones install it won't behave. :(

You said you still have 10.10 installed, right? Did you clear our the folders in %appdata% for anything marked Opera?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Casao posted:

You said you still have 10.10 installed, right? Did you clear our the folders in %appdata% for anything marked Opera?

Yeah, I've cleared the App Data, Program Files, and the one under Local Settings just to be sure. But by using a unique directory, I've also been keeping it clearly separate from any other Opera installation. I got really good at that tracking down the search.ini problem.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Seduced Milkman posted:

Yet another new snapshot. Don't these people ever sleep?

It seems this build crashes on start-up every time for me. Super.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Sergeant Hobo posted:

This seems like a dick move but thanks for being the guinea pig. I'm going to avoid this snapshot. I'm having enough crashing issues as it is.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Ape Agitator posted:

Edit: So here's the deal. It appears Opera requires that you keep the original entry for "Find in Page" in your searches. You can change the keystroke assignment but if you delete it and rebuild it it will break Find-in-page. It's perfectly repeatable for me. Some time ago I rebuilt my searches to make them better organized and in the process broke the new Find in the process. And two attempts at hand rebuilding my searches revealed that Opera loves that entry in the custom searches and will be a spiteful bitch if you ever delete it.
I don't think this is the case. I explicitly deleted the 'find in page' entry from my search.ini file. I've had the 'f' search keyword mapped to Facebook search for as long as I can remember. Things are still just hunky dory for me. If you want, I'll post my whole search.ini file, but it's pretty ugly.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That's curious, after the last snapshot launching the 10.50 executable instead opens a tab in 10.10 if it happens to be running. Guess someone typod the Process name to check during startup, eh?

kholdstayr
Dec 7, 2002
Revenge is a dish best served Khold

Sergeant Hobo posted:

The new build is working for me just fine. Well, I have had it crash once so far, when I tried to use Opera's built-in content blocker to kill an ad on a webpage.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Aunt Beth posted:

I don't think this is the case. I explicitly deleted the 'find in page' entry from my search.ini file. I've had the 'f' search keyword mapped to Facebook search for as long as I can remember. Things are still just hunky dory for me. If you want, I'll post my whole search.ini file, but it's pretty ugly.

It's a beta so I'm more than willing to accept some strangeness but I went through this thing for a while to figure it all out.

- Pristine installation, new unique folder used, no Opera Link, totally generic, no search.ini file in the Apps Data folder (which is correct because it's the default): Find works right
- Delete any entry but Find from the Searches, search.ini file created (to change the default searches to "deleted"): Find works right
- Delete Find from the search: Find hosed
- Re-add Find using the same strings as before "&Find in page": Find hosed

I can't say whether this is still the case with the newest snapshot though.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Startacus posted:

This seems like a dick move but thanks for being the guinea pig. I'm going to avoid this snapshot. I'm having enough crashing issues as it is.

It looks like this new snapshot build includes a Windows 7 crash fix, which apparently is what I was experiencing. It also fixes the video HTML 5 element.I'm up and going again. Plus, they changed something so I don't have to hit my Start key to access my Start menu anymore. :neckbeard:

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Sergeant Hobo posted:

It looks like this new snapshot build includes a Windows 7 crash fix, which apparently is what I was experiencing. It also fixes the video HTML 5 element.I'm up and going again. Plus, they changed something so I don't have to hit my Start key to access my Start menu anymore. :neckbeard:

Awesome, I'm going to give it a shot. These random crashes are really one of the only things keeping me from using the Beta as my go to browser. Thanks.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Startacus posted:

Awesome, I'm going to give it a shot. These random crashes are really one of the only things keeping me from using the Beta as my go to browser. Thanks.

Interestingly enough, I never remembered having as many crashes with previous alpha or beta builds as I have had with the 10.5 series. I guess all that means is that the rendering library and the Javascript engine were enormous changes. I'm glad it's all getting hammered out.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can't even open Opera now. It crashes on start-up.

But I know they're only doing so much testing due to the new version of Windows that has the browser-installation prompt whose deadline is March.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
New build.

Desktop Team posted:

This build should also be more stable on Windows after running a long time due the fixing of a GDI leak which could cause crashes and freezing tendencies.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Hey, cool, it's a new one without horrible crippling known-issues. I've actually upgraded to this one. :)

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
New build fixed my ESC problem so I'm feeling quite happy.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
In the new build, the forums ads at the bottoms of pages break frequently and become a huge tall box that makes the vertical scrollbars really long. wunderground.com also renders similarly broken except in the horizontal direction. "Fit to width" does nothing for it. Anyone else?

[edit] I'm debating downgrading back to the beta build. Too many random sites are broken. Google maps and battle.net have issues too.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 24, 2010

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Beta 2

The changelog is ridiculously huge considering we've been getting daily builds.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Plorkyeran posted:

Beta 2

Nice. They fixed a bug where numerous parts of my skin would render as transparent so now i don't have to reload it on each start of the browser. :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
drat, I still have the above rendering bugs on the beta. It's not just me, right? I suppose my install could need to be nuked.

[edit] Yeah, it was just me. I nuked my profile folder and now it's fine. :)

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 24, 2010

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Haha, what the hell? I install Beta 2 and now my single tab bar approach has collapsed everything into the title bar. I'm not actually opposed to it but drat that was kind of bizarre to see in WinXP. It's pretty awesome, but how do I control it (like turn it on or off)?

Edit: I installed it and went "oh what the hell, did they change the default skin color to blue? Why, the gray was kind of rocking... wait a minute, that's no moon. That's my title bar, with useful stuff in it instead of dead space!" :aaa:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 24, 2010

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Can you post a non-thumbnailed version of that screenshot?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Click here for the full 1278x53 image.

I don't know why the forums tab has a magnifying glass icon. It's correct in the windows panel (what I actually use).

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mithaldu posted:

Can you post a non-thumbnailed version of that screenshot?

Sure, but I thought it got the point across. I kind of expected Win7 to be able to do cool stuff like using the Titlebar in a useful manner but in WinXP it was kind of surprising.
http://i50.tinypic.com/xanhh0.jpg

Edit: Every once in a while things will happen where I'll get a very thin bar between the page content and the tab bar which shows the domain of the site I'm at. It seems to happen when I show the Address Bar on one tab but keep it hidden in all the others. My default is to hide the Address Bar all the time unless I want to check out the whole URL of a site. So if I gesture to open the Address Bar on one tab it seems like it creates this tiny bar on the rest of the tabs when I go check them out. However, sometimes the little bar will evaporate on mouseover and sometimes it won't. Checking under Customize->Appearance and clicking on it turn the tiny bar into the Address Bar so I'll inclined to think that's what it is but maybe bugged out (or featured out).

I've seen this bar in many, many versions of Opera up to and including 10.50 Beta 2.

The tiny bar is very erratic and unpredictable but potentially useful. Are there any reigns to control this wild stallion or must I let it roam free and haunt me from its woodland glade, a creature of mystery and fate?

Picture of the beast (don't look in its eyes, you'll spook it)
http://i49.tinypic.com/v3lw5f.jpg

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 24, 2010

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

Sure, but I thought it got the point across. I kind of expected Win7 to be able to do cool stuff like using the Titlebar in a useful manner but in WinXP it was kind of surprising.
http://i50.tinypic.com/xanhh0.jpg

Thanks, I'm mostly asking so i can show it to others. I can't figure out how the hell to activate that in the first place. (Maybe it's because I'm running Win7 and not using that Aero bullshit?)

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 24, 2010

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
is there any decent way to adblock? the method listed in the OP (the ini file) isn't really blocking anything at all. if there's a better way to do it i'd love to hear it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mithaldu posted:

Thanks, I'm mostly asking so i can show it to others. I can't figure out how the hell to activate that in the first place. (Maybe it's because I'm running Win7 and not using that Aero bullshit?)

Cool. My progression was 10.50 install (whichever was most current on Feb 20th) in a clean directory, hide everything but the Tab Bar/Page Bar, then upgrade to 10.50 Beta 2 using the Classic installer.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 24, 2010

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

AquaVita posted:

is there any decent way to adblock? the method listed in the OP (the ini file) isn't really blocking anything at all. if there's a better way to do it i'd love to hear it.

It works fine. Get the pgl.yoyo.org one.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Casao posted:

It works fine. Get the pgl.yoyo.org one.

yeah that's the one i initially used, but i didn't see that i had to put everything under 'include' instead of 'exclude' which was the way it came. now it's working great!

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
People upgrading from the other labs releases to beta 2 and having problems should consider backing up your bookmarks (Opera menu tab -> "Settings" -> "Import and Exports" -> "Export Opera bookmarks") and then doing a full uninstall, followed by wiping out both the install and user profile directories by hand. I just did that, as a precaution, and Beta 2 is very stable and exceedingly fast.

Yes, this is sort of a pain, but people who use alpha/beta software should be used to it by now.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Plorkyeran posted:

Beta 2

Let's not also forget the Mac Beta RC for our friendly, neighborhood Mac users.

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005
My googling is lacking. I can't find the answer to this. How do I get links to open in a new tab from the Speed Dial page. If I click on a link now it opens in the same tab. I would just like the speed dial page to be my first tab, and always have it there.

alltoohuman
Jul 26, 2007

Shut up, Marx.

Greenfield posted:

My googling is lacking. I can't find the answer to this. How do I get links to open in a new tab from the Speed Dial page. If I click on a link now it opens in the same tab. I would just like the speed dial page to be my first tab, and always have it there.

Middle click.

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005

alltoohuman posted:

Middle click.

All that does is change how my mouse scrolls. Using a MX Revolution.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Greenfield posted:

All that does is change how my mouse scrolls. Using a MX Revolution.

Disable that poo poo in the Setpoint control panel and try it then.

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005

Casao posted:

Disable that poo poo in the Setpoint control panel and try it then.

I didn't have setpoint installed. I just installed it after alltoohuman said middle click would open new tab. It doesn't work either way. It just changes how smooth the scroll wheel goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjume
Feb 8, 2009
I'm also using a MX Revolution and Middle Click works fine for opening new tabs.
You'll have to define the micro button (number 6) or the scrollwheel click as "Mouse:3. Middle Button" in Setpoint.
It's been a while since I configured my mouse, so I'm not sure if this works with vanilla Setpoint or if you need uberOptions for that.