Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Ways to make your bases less boring. Not sure if that's really your thing, but I'm pretty much always looking for new peoples' takes on the topic.

I am a sniping machine this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Click here for the full 1600x776 image.

Click here for the full 1600x652 image.

I think all I have to do is the cupolas and the weathering. I was thinking of doing a bunch of water transfers, but I'm having a hard time building up the nerve to do it. I'm not really sure it needs it. They're kinda plain where they're not stenciled, but I don't really mind it, you know?

The weathering, on the other hand, I'm not sure about. I've got the army based on grey dirt, so I've got to do the same sort of colors for dusting up the tanks, yeah? Anyone done that in grey? All I ever see is variations on browns and some reds.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Uh, Fix, the lines on those eagles are a little wavey....

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I think he explained it as, free handing the clean up from the spray over from the stencil.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I don't even see it; I'm just busting his chops.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Jesus Christ, those Rhinos are amazing.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
What if there's a new codex and they make him field a 4th one, though...:ohdear:

EDIT:

Speaking of which... :ohdear::respek::razz:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 24, 2010

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Regarding basing, how would you guys deal with this situation?

I'm working on my Steel Legion for this month's oath, and am finished up to the basing point. I laid some of the Citadel basing material down (I like the variations in the gravel sizes) but the troopers feet are seriously buried. These guys were apparently sculpted with some regard to the human form, and don't have size 15 feet clad in giant space-boots like the Cadians.

I pulled the models out of the bases, snipped off the tabs, then filed down the remaining flashing on the feet (damaging my paint job in the process,) and covered the base completely in sand. I'll paint the bases next, then super glue the models to the bases, but this seems like I run the risk of getting a model that won't be making good contact with the base now, due to the uneven surface. In addition, this is going to be a real pain in the rear end if I have to cut the tabs off of 100+ models and file them all down.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 24, 2010

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

berzerkmonkey posted:

Regarding basing, how would you guys deal with this situation?

I'm working on my Steel Legion for this month's oath, and am finished up to the basing point. I laid some of the Citadel basing material down (I like the variations in the gravel sizes) but the troopers feet are seriously buried. These guys were apparently sculpted with some regard to the human form, and don't have size 15 feet clad in giant space-boots like the Cadians.

I pulled the models out of the bases, snipped off the tabs, then filed down the remaining flashing on the feet (damaging my paint job in the process,) and covered the base completely in sand. I'll paint the bases next, then super glue the models to the bases, but this seems like I run the risk of getting a model that won't be making good contact with the base now, due to the uneven surface.

Using a modelling drill, bore a small (1-2mm) hold into one of the feet of the model and then bore another hole directly through the base and basing material to where you want the foot to meet. Clip a bit of paperclip (or other small yet sturdy material) to a length that cover the hole in the foot and passes through the bottom of the base-hole. Place some glue in the hole on the foot and then foot itself, please the piece of paperclip in the foot-hole and then through the hole in the base. Place glue on the bottom of the base and the remaining end of the paperclip; let the glue dry.

Easy and makes for a remarkably stable model. All of my Tyranid that are 40mm+ are based in this way and are rock-solid.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
buy some plasticard, then lay down two narrow strips of it, on either side of the slot of the base. Glue the model down to that strip, so its raised up a little higher than the rest of the base, and when you base it most of the sand will go under the feet, as opposed to covering them

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

PaintVagrant posted:

buy some plasticard, then lay down two narrow strips of it, on either side of the slot of the base. Glue the model down to that strip, so its raised up a little higher than the rest of the base, and when you base it most of the sand will go under the feet, as opposed to covering them

I don't know why I never thought of this. I don't really have a problem with my "giant space boots", but my Necrons kind of have the buried feet problem. I thought about ripping an pinning too, but I'm eventually redoing my necrons to stand straight so I will be all pinned out. heh.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

PaintVagrant posted:

Good call. I'll give that a shot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I always just make my bases look kind of muddy and it looks like they're sinking in a bit. *shrug*

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

stabbington posted:

Ways to make your bases less boring. Not sure if that's really your thing, but I'm pretty much always looking for new peoples' takes on the topic.

I am a sniping machine this week.

You kidding me? I love making hosed-up bases! :haw:
I actually had an idea for doing some Tyranids in swamp/bog themed bases, complete with water effects. Sound interesting?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Water effects & basing gets my vote. go for it.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

bhsman posted:

What if there's a new codex and they make him field a 4th one, though...:ohdear:

I... actually already have a 4th one in my list. It's just not going to fit into this little flotilla. Maybe I'll figure some way to do another aquila across the front or do a tiny one on the back like a "hey guys, waittup!" kind of thing.

So no one has done grey dirt or ashen weathering then? Dang.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Uh, Fix, the lines on those eagles are a little wavey....

:toughguy:

Fix fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 24, 2010

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
if you thinly spread superglue over the base then apply a finer grit it won't completely bury their feet. I base my guys before I prime them basically for this reason.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

:siren: Interest Check :siren:

If I was able to offer basing kits, with a variety of smallish bags of ballasts and different colors of static grasses for a reasonable price (much cheaper than buying them all seperately from GF9 or whatever) would anyone be interested?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Fix, what did you use to make the stencils for these? I want to do a similar design on two rhinos I have.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

CyberLord XP posted:

Fix, what did you use to make the stencils for these? I want to do a similar design on two rhinos I have.

Printed it onto normal paper, glued that to cardstock, cut it out carefully.

vvvv I DON'T SEE IT. I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. EVERYTHING IS JUST DUCKY.

Fix fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 24, 2010

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man that middle eagle is really off-centre :smugdog:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

this is kinda cool, if youre into birdmen or whatever

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How big is it?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

looks close to 28mm, its by enigma minis

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I meant the actual size of it, not the scale. I looked the thing up and found that it's apparently 35 mm tall. So not quite big enough to be used as a tzeentchian daemon prince. :shobon: With swapping the head for a helmet and getting rid of the wings it'd make for a nice chaos lord, though.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

chelsea clinton posted:

I meant the actual size of it, not the scale. I looked the thing up and found that it's apparently 35 mm tall. So not quite big enough to be used as a tzeentchian daemon prince. :shobon: With swapping the head for a helmet and getting rid of the wings it'd make for a nice chaos lord, though.

Just put him on a really big base :downs:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

chelsea clinton posted:

yeah thats what I meant, I think thats a standard wm small base

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

crime fighting hog posted:

Just put him on a really big base :downs:

Like that guy who bought the standard bearer for the metal goblin chariot, put an axe at the end of the pole, gave the little guy gargoyle wings, put it on a big honking base, painted it red and called it a bloodthirster.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

chelsea clinton posted:

Like that guy who bought the standard bearer for the metal goblin chariot, put an axe at the end of the pole, gave the little guy gargoyle wings, put it on a big honking base, painted it red and called it a bloodthirster.

Now you have to post pics.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I saw it years ago! it's probably long gone by now.

My searches did find me these things, though:

Making one out of a balrog http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215714

lmao http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90746 cool objective markers, though, and the defiler is fine

Making one out of a bloodthirster and also it has helicopter rotor blades http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/248261.page and upon further inspection some rad daemons in general

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Sole.Sushi posted:

So, I'm bored.
Well, not so much bored as I am out of ideas for photo tutorials for the thread.
So, I turn to you, fellow Goons, for suggestions.

Let me know what you want to see--anything non-painting is fine--and I'll get to it. I've covered a lot of "green stuff" in the past, and I could always use practice for more, different things that I have yet to try.

Space tits.

PaintVagrant posted:

this is kinda cool, if youre into birdmen or whatever

Hawk Lords chapter master!

PaintVagrant posted:

:siren: Interest Check :siren:

If I was able to offer basing kits, with a variety of smallish bags of ballasts and different colors of static grasses for a reasonable price (much cheaper than buying them all seperately from GF9 or whatever) would anyone be interested?

You know I'm interested :colbert:

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

PaintVagrant posted:

If you can manage to be competitive with the skullcrafts guy, then more power to you. The market is probably there.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I finally found a store around town that sells modeling stuff. Time to start making copious amounts of terrain.

First try at a decently-sized terrain for a forested industry world. I'll post it again once it's painted and purtied up.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

PierreTheMime posted:

I finally found a store around town that sells modeling stuff. Time to start making copious amounts of terrain.

First try at a decently-sized terrain for a forested industry world. I'll post it again once it's painted and purtied up.

Nonsense just find a GW store and buy jungle plants, manufactorums and citadel woods :downs:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
image spam ITT, I reshot a bunch of stuff

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Fyrbrand I really love your bases. The snow looks all powdery and great. But salamanders on a snow planet? Ski holiday?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

stabbington posted:

If you can manage to be competitive with the skullcrafts guy, then more power to you. The market is probably there.

Its definitely going to be pretty inexpensive and convenient, Ill be able to get some pics and prices relatively soon. I wont have all the bling resin stuff that guy has though, but Im hoping my kits will appeal

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

Its definitely going to be pretty inexpensive and convenient, Ill be able to get some pics and prices relatively soon. I wont have all the bling resin stuff that guy has though, but Im hoping my kits will appeal

Maybe include basing instructions or suggestions for colors to paint the sand/ballast and base rims?

Edit:

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Fyrbrand I really love your bases. The snow looks all powdery and great. But salamanders on a snow planet? Ski holiday?

It is at least conceivable that they'd fight somewhere other than their homeworld, and I wanted to avoid the cliche lava bases, so yeah.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 25, 2010

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

please the piece of paperclip in the foot-hole

That sounds very naughty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.

Fyrbrand posted:

Maybe include basing instructions or suggestions for colors to paint the sand/ballast and base rims?

Edit:

It is at least conceivable that they'd fight somewhere other than their homeworld, and I wanted to avoid the cliche lava bases, so yeah.

Not trying to piss on your chips I think the bases are great just a little....novel for salamanders. Which was your intention. Soooo..... well done

• Locked thread