Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

R.S. Gumby posted:

Well, I really liked your use of the land raider engine bit in the back, and am stealing that idea, if I can just find one. I'm also seriously considering rebuilding the feet on mine, seeing how good yours look. Mine are much simpler and without hydraulics. It'll probably be a week or two before I do any more work on it. drat you, real life for interfering with my hobbies.

I finished painting that, as well as the camo on the carapace. Time to get some photos done, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ashcans posted:

What was your mix ratio like? That sounds like you had more yellow in there than needed, which makes it much softer and stickier. If you're just plugging gaps in the base, you can go heavier on the blue in the mix, which makes it stiffer and less gooey.

Cool. Looking at my strip, there's actually more yellow overall than blue, so that's probably what keeps loving me up.

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Your blend is smooth as silk well done. Out of curiosity, did you use any extra agents in your paint? Or just water?

I couldn't get a blend with just water, and have been experimenting with matte medium and flow retarder. Just wondered what you used?

Just water, this is all dry layering, extremely diluted paint applied in very thin coats, I lost count how many, thin enough that you can apply the paint then dry it near instantly by blowing on it and then add another layer, building up the opacity slowly for a smooth blend

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Oh cool, can't imagine myself doing that on a whole unit let alone army. I found flow retarder and using a second brush to feather the highlights gives a similar result but faster, and I never had the patience to do it with just water. Kudos.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
*CROSSPOSTIN' IT UP!*

(Painting prototype for my sisters army)

ohshititsric
Jul 17, 2009

Fyrbrand posted:

image spam ITT, I reshot a bunch of stuff
[salamanders ski vacation shots from a few pages back]

How'd you do this snow? I'm gonna be making Ice Orks as soon as I finish moving into my new place.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Amykinz posted:

*CROSSPOSTIN' IT UP!*

(Painting prototype for my sisters army)

Did...did a bird expertly void it's bowels onto her gloves? :ohdear:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ohshititsric posted:

How'd you do this snow? I'm gonna be making Ice Orks as soon as I finish moving into my new place.

I mix my snow flock with white glue and a little water. I can't really give exact ratios, but you want roughly toothpaste consistency. More water would probably give you a slushier or wet snow look, though. After it's mixed, I dab it on wherever. Then I sprinkle some additional snow flock over the top.

You can play with ratios of snow/water/glue to get different effects. You can also do things like build up layers, drying them in between, and all kinds of different stuff. Some people paint skull white before the put the snow down, for example- makes it brighter. Others mix in water effects. GW actually has some really cool examples on the 2nd page of this article: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=cat1290202&pIndex=0&aId=4400036a&start=1

ohshititsric
Jul 17, 2009
Thanks dude, all of that owns and helps a lot except for the fact PV dosen't believe in free trade agreements and won't ship any of his fake space snow to the frostbitten grim northness that is Ontario, Canada.

But regardless that GW article and your tips will help me a lot. I ordered AoBR and am selling the Marines to my future-roomate. Gonna go all nutty and do Hawk Turquoise skinned Orks from Hoth.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Im not officially part of the g8 yet

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
White glue can go yellow over time, put a bit of white paint into the mix.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

White glue can go yellow over time, put a bit of white paint into the mix.

I've only really seen this happen to wood glue. Is this true with elmers and GW's?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Far as I know it's any white glue depending on its quality.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Here's a mostly finished demo table a friend and i will be presenting on a local con this weekend, as usual everything was done at the last possible moment so no real wip shots. As of that pic i's mostly finished with just a few details and touch-ups to do.

Bigger shot here:
Click here for the full 2048x1216 image.

It has light effects and the smokestack smokes, we hope to get some good pics or maybe even a vid during the weekend.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Thats awesome, is it for pulp city?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Bistromatic posted:

Here's a mostly finished demo table a friend and i will be presenting on a local con this weekend, as usual everything was done at the last possible moment so no real wip shots. As of that pic i's mostly finished with just a few details and touch-ups to do.

Bigger shot here:
Click here for the full 2048x1216 image.

It has light effects and the smokestack smokes, we hope to get some good pics or maybe even a vid during the weekend.
Someone plays Pulp City! Neat!

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Yes, should have mentioned that, it's for Pulp City.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PaintVagrant posted:

this is kinda cool, if youre into birdmen or whatever

Perfect Herald for a Daemons list.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

:siren: SHILLING :siren:

I just added some stuff to my basing kits SAmart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3271910

I just added this to the OP

Fine Turf

autumn red/mix (good for fall/woodsy type bases)

added it as an option to most kits, and added it to bling, bringing the bling kits cost up to $33 shipped

And PICSSSS (the quarter is just for scale, you dont get it its MY QUARTER)

BLING KIT (not including the new autumn, just use your imagination)

DELUXE KIT (with 2 options picked)

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

DELUXE KIT (with 2 options picked)

How much for example would the bag with the black and grey basing material cost? I'll probably order some for my birthday. :c00l:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

bhsman posted:

How much for example would the bag with the black and grey basing material cost? I'll probably order some for my birthday. :c00l:

just the ballast? its grey and brown, but I mix new batches that have random colors in them, its more about the size. Check out the basic kit itt. You def have to paint this ballast, btw

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Here are some progress shots on my Warhound:

This is the carapace now dressed in its snappy dazzle camo.

Here's the engineering section I added, all painted up. I love seeing photos of my work, because I get to see all the things I have hosed up.

Here's the turbolaser, with carbon buildup and a shiny glowing barrel. I did something similar with the plasma blastgun, and really like how the warm colours contrast with the colder colours of the titan.

This is a still very much WIP vulcan megabolter. I had originally planned on more or less discarding this weapon as I wasn't happy with it. However, after seeing some of the beautiful work elsewhere in this thread I took it back in hand for further work, mostly detailing. That said, I also pulled off older barrels and replaced them with something far larger. The old ones looked like a large assault cannon, and I may save them for that very purpose.

That's not all, though...

I started working on an Imperial Knight. For those unfamiliar, they are large war walkers that fall somewhere between a dreadnought and a scout titan in size. Here are the legs, tonight I hope to have the hips and lower hull at least started.

The model is an unfinished Marneus Calgar included for scale. The knight will be either a Paladin or Lancer, not sure which.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Fearless posted:

loving sweet. At first I was going to be sarcastic about you painting camo on a titan but then I realised that a] they used dazzle camo on battleships b] titans are shorter than buildings so camo makes sense and b] it looks cool.

The turbolaser is awesome.

What are you going to do after the Warhound is complete?

Edit:

PaintVagrant posted:

GS is kind of a bitch. Some people use light oils, try that instead of water I guess

If you've got a goony greasy face (or even just the usual amount of natural oil on your skin without being a horrifying goon) then rubbing the clean sculpting tool across your skin is often enough to stop the greenstuff sticking to the tool. GROSS BUT PRO

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 26, 2010

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Danger - Octopus! posted:

loving sweet. At first I was going to be sarcastic about you painting camo on a titan but then I realised that a] they used dazzle camo on battleships b] titans are shorter than buildings so camo makes sense and b] it looks cool.

The turbolaser is awesome.

What are you going to do after the Warhound is complete?

I've already started that Imperial Knight, so depending on how that goes I may make another couple so as to have a small order of them. Eventually I want to scratchbuild a Reaver, which is really pushing it in terms of a tabletop 28mm scale mini, but that is a long way off. My current plans are to finish the backlog of Ultramarines that I have waiting: a terminator librarian, the crew of a Land Speeder Storm, a tactical squad and four devastators are currently waiting to be painted.

WRT the titan camo, it makes sense for the Warhound more than any other, given that it's the only titan suitable for urban ops and seems to be deployed very, very differently from the larger titans.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
[pictures are massive]

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Next, (serious!) my prototype dreadclaw:

(lovely low-light for the win!)

And this sexy little fucker:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
For you dudes who use the FW artist's inks:
How is the white ink? What does it work well for? Any tips/tricks?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Anphrax, is that Leman Russ?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

!amicable posted:

Only used it a little so far so I've not learnt any particular quirks. It seems good at covering over lighter colours so I'm assuming it will work well to get white over black if you put down a transitional layer of astronomican grey.
It's a lot like pre-thinned white paint really.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 27, 2010

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
Does anyone have a method of doing white/grey lenses or gems? The eyes on my firedragon look a bit flat compared to the rest and i'd really like to give them some depth but getting a white gem look with the standard dark-light-white spot method doesn't seem like it would work for white?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fearless posted:

Anphrax, is that Leman Russ?

That is the Leman Russ :D

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Anphrax posted:

That is the Leman Russ :D

Glorious! Where did you get him?

Also, does anyone know anything about the non-GW primarch models that were being produced, and if there was one for Roboute Guilliman?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fearless posted:

Glorious! Where did you get him?

He was among many more rare models that redshit at my local store (Gig Harbor!) bought at an estate sale. Good times! The fella passed away and his family had no idea what they were worth. Sold the whole lot for $150.00. There were thousands of old models. Some really incredible stuff.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

!amicable posted:

So far, I like the white the best. It's really just like a thinned white paint, but it covers so well it's unreal. I've been going black->white without any intervening steps in two coats, sometimes just one. It's supposed to work with airbrushes as well, though I don't have one of those.

I have noticed that if you let it pool on a flat surface it will dry with cracks in it, but only if it's in a sort of bead. I got a bit in a nook on one of my Rhinos that I didn't notice, so there's a little crackled spot in one of the crannies.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Fearless posted:

Awesome. I really like that paint job. And it's magnetized? Niiice.

Can't wait to see how the knight turns out. Legs look like a good start.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

R.S. Gumby posted:

Awesome. I really like that paint job. And it's magnetized? Niiice.

Can't wait to see how the knight turns out. Legs look like a good start.

Thank you for the kind feedback. I tend to magnetize everything, mostly because I really like tinerking. The entire thing is magnetized so I can disassemble it for transport and to suit whatever mission it's participating in. I love the flexibility that magnets gives me, it's remarkable how far the hobby has come in the past dozen years since I started.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Leman russ wasnt a primarch when that model was made, he was just some space marine guy in the 1st edition "pre-genetic enhancement" space marines of rogue trader

hence him being tinier than a scout

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I used a bit of the white ink tonight between paintings of tau and it works pretty well. I'll definitely use it from now on. Also tried doing a different scheme for Templars by doing a 1:1 mix of chaos black and fortress grey as a basecoat, the washing with badab. The armor is very dark but you can see the texture from the wash so it looks highlighted already. I tried to go over the sharper edges with fortress and hosed it up, so I may just try not to bother with the highlight after the wash.

I'll post pics tomorrow if I have the time (which I should)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

I used a bit of the white ink tonight between paintings of tau and it works pretty well. I'll definitely use it from now on. Also tried doing a different scheme for Templars by doing a 1:1 mix of chaos black and fortress grey as a basecoat, the washing with badab. The armor is very dark but you can see the texture from the wash so it looks highlighted already. I tried to go over the sharper edges with fortress and hosed it up, so I may just try not to bother with the highlight after the wash.

I'll post pics tomorrow if I have the time (which I should)

try a darker grey for the highlight, fortress is wayyyy too light

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PaintVagrant posted:

try a darker grey for the highlight, fortress is wayyyy too light

I get fortress and codex confused. I used the darker of the two but you're right it's too bright anyways. Probably have to darken to a 2:1 with black:gray. I just get impatient and wish I could pull off the super fine lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

I get fortress and codex confused. I used the darker of the two but you're right it's too bright anyways. Probably have to darken to a 2:1 with black:gray. I just get impatient and wish I could pull off the super fine lines.

If you have adeptus battlegrey, try that

• Locked thread