Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PaintVagrant posted:

If you have adeptus battlegrey, try that

Is that the darker foundation? I used to highlight with astronomicon and now I want to go back and strip all my marines because they look like asssssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

PaintVagrant posted:

Leman russ wasnt a primarch when that model was made, he was just some space marine guy in the 1st edition "pre-genetic enhancement" space marines of rogue trader

hence him being tinier than a scout

I know, but it's still pretty cool to see a miniature from the dark ages of 40k. I had a couple of marines from the same period, and it's amazing how tiny they were.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

crime fighting hog posted:

Is that the darker foundation? I used to highlight with astronomicon and now I want to go back and strip all my marines because they look like asssssss

yeah, its the darker foundation grey

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

who is pv
font of wisdom
that is pv

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Where can you guys order the white ink?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

bhsman posted:

Where can you guys order the white ink?

I went with aartifolk.co.uk who charged a fortune for postage. :(

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
Finished my dragon, didnt want to do indepth blending for all the armor just the helmet. Really needs more front on light in the photo (still messing with lightbox) but the edge highlights are a bit more pronounced, was way too bright (straight golden yellow) originally but a second red wash muted it just enough

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Finished my dragon, didnt want to do indepth blending for all the armor just the helmet. Really needs more front on light in the photo (still messing with lightbox) but the edge highlights are a bit more pronounced, was way too bright (straight golden yellow) originally but a second red wash muted it just enough

That looks flippin' awesome!

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Fantastic blending. Keep it up.

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I went with aartifolk.co.uk who charged a fortune for postage. :(

If you are in the UK then find out if there is a HobbyCraft near you. They do the FW inks, and other good stuff like series 7s. I end up buying a ton of random poo poo any time I go there.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

:siren: INTERNATIONAL GOONS :siren:

I will ship internationally, but ONLY the bling kit. I will charge you based on the cheapest shipping cost I can get to where you live, so if you are interested let me know and I will look up the price.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3271910&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post373012268

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I come to you, painting gurus, with a question.

I'm painting some Cryx stuff and I'm doing my own paint scheme because the official one is just a little too noxious green for my tastes. What I've been doing is a base paint scheme of lich purple and gore red, with gold accents. In most cases this means purple armor, red cloth (except on warcasters, their cloth has been fortress grey with white highlights) and gold trim around things like bane knight shoulder pad details.

With all of that said, my question is this: What color should I use to edge highlight the purple? I have hawk turquoise and was thinking about that but figured I'd ask and see what the brain trust suggested.

Thanks for the help, this thread got me off my butt and back into painting and ultimately back to miniature gaming. I'm stripping my Space Marines to return them to my first Chapter as well, Blood Angels.

So thanks again, warhams. :argh:

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

More work on the Paladin/Lancer today and last night. Here it is:

This is the rough shape of the knight. I need to do weapon arms and bulk up some massive armoured shoulder pads (probably in two layers, like the pauldrons on a Roman lorica segmentata) and the usual host of details, like cables, some hydraulics, etc.

And here he is from another angle. I am really pleased with the posing on the legs, especially since I haven't used any plans or templates for this thing at all.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PaintVagrant posted:

I will ship internationally, but ONLY the bling kit. I will charge you based on the cheapest shipping cost I can get to where you live, so if you are interested let me know and I will look up the price.

PV I don't want to undercut you or nothin but all I want is the long straw grass stuff, and I'm in the UK. If I was doing a google search for it, what is it called?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

field grass

anarchywrksbest
Sep 24, 2003
anarchy sucks
I went on a mad painting binge today to finish up my February oath.

So much pink. :o

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

anarchywrksbest posted:

:tviv:

These rule.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Crosspostin' from the Oaths Thread:
The only paint on these models is on the bases - everything else is a wash over white primer!

For some reason (lighting, probably) the coats look the same color as the gloves, webbing, and masks. They are actually pretty different, but you can't tell in the photos. Anyway...

Group Shot:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Closer troop shots:

"Don't you know, bitch? Plasma gets HOT! FWOOM!"

Sending hot lead downrange:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Another oath crosspost.

Putting pigments on is fun.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Another oath crosspost.

That is fuckin delicious.

How did you get the pigments to stick?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Thanks.

First of all I mounted the model on an old pot so I never had to touch it directly, then just brushed the powders on where I wanted them and when I was happy I used a perfume bottle style atomiser to spray Mig pigment fixer on.

Edit: Always, always, always shake the bottle before appying the fixer. Otherwise it will take days to dry.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Another oath crosspost.

Is this.... is.. is it floating in mid air? :psyboom:

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Thanks.

First of all I mounted the model on an old pot so I never had to touch it directly, then just brushed the powders on where I wanted them and when I was happy I used a perfume bottle style atomiser to spray Mig pigment fixer on.

Edit: Always, always, always shake the bottle before appying the fixer. Otherwise it will take days to dry.
Hrm-I am just using artists chalk. Do you think spraying some fixative on there would gently caress it up? Maybe I'll just hit it with flat coat.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm not familiar with artist chalk, but wouldn't have thought it would gently caress it up.

Anphrax posted:

Is this.... is.. is it floating in mid air? :psyboom:

Yes, yes it is.

Matgash
Apr 25, 2008

Know no fear!
Really liking the Rhino RJS!

Click here for the full 1405x2021 image.

My finished Tigurius from earlier in the thread.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

anarchywrksbest posted:

This is glorious. And so much other sweet stuff on this page from the oathing thread, great work people!

I finished the new Nemo sculpt this weekend. Here he is on the left beside my old color scheme on the old model. It was one of the first Warmachine figs I painted :unsmith:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Arlaharen posted:

This is glorious. And so much other sweet stuff on this page from the oathing thread, great work people!

I finished the new Nemo sculpt this weekend. Here he is on the left beside my old color scheme on the old model. It was one of the first Warmachine figs I painted :unsmith:

Oh wow, the new one is such a huge improvement. Nice work. Also anarchywrksbest I never thought pink power armor could be so intimidating.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The new warcaster sculpts are almost entirely awesome. The only one I'm on the fence about is Asphyxious, who has some serious pimp lean going on.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Cross posting from the oaths:

Rank and File:

2 Detailed Archers:

Detailed Banner (Rune for Senlui - Swiftness and Accuracy):

Few minor details to clear up but it's table top standard for me.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Arlaharen posted:

Holy crap. The new scheme looks a lot better and makes Nemo look even more bad rear end.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Arlaharen posted:

I must say you did a good job on this. I especially dig the glasses.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Yog-Sothoth posted:

There's some rules, I got some rules when I show down and I do my standup, I got rules and poo poo. Faggots aren't allowed to look at my rear end while I'm on stage! That's why I keep moving while I'm up here.

You don't know where the human being section is, you gotta keep movin'.
So if they do see it, quick, you switch, they don't get no long stares at your poo poo

so that their imagination is flowing about my

I know when you're looking, 'cos my rear end starts to get hot.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Does anyone have any idea how this guy from CMoN paints this poo poo?

It's loving insane :psyduck:

edit: here...
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/237611.page

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 1, 2010

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
:psyboom:

That is the most amazingly painted mini I have ever seen.

Granted I haven't seen a huge number, but jesus gently caress.

edit: he has a small tutorial later in that thread.

Edit 2, electric bugaloo: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/237611.page#699819

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 1, 2010

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Finally, a rival for our PV? This means war! :jihad:

edit: is anyone else participating in the golden throne deal that Game$-Workshop is doing? I've got about half the boxes yet to still do.. in only 13 days :sweatdrop:

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Mar 1, 2010

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Bone with brown streaks. loving brilliant. *breaks down and weeps in the corner*

Yog-Sothoth
Mar 8, 2005

Yog-Sothoth is the key and the guardian of the gate
Yeah I mean it's interesting weathering on a vehicle and very impressive freehanding on the tanks but I'm not seeing how this is the best model ever, or anything other than competent tabletop quality? The basic paint coverage is pretty patchy in parts, overly thick in others and not even in the lines in some places. It's a great example of creative weathering techniques and freehand but uh yeah, no rival to paintvagrant's stuff, at all :shobon:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
lmao you all are fawning over a dude who painted a naked lady on his tank

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Yog-Sothoth posted:

Yeah I mean it's interesting weathering on a vehicle and very impressive freehanding on the tanks but I'm not seeing how this is the best model ever, or anything other than competent tabletop quality? The basic paint coverage is pretty patchy in parts, overly thick in others and not even in the lines in some places. It's a great example of creative weathering techniques and freehand but uh yeah, no rival to paintvagrant's stuff, at all :shobon:

:a2m:

Alls I'm sayin' is the poo poo looks drat good. That and I kinda wanted to start a war here :jihad: (again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!

Yog-Sothoth posted:

I was just getting ready to post exactly this. Some of it is downright sloppy in places and by no means is the scheme complicated in itself. The freehand is good but that just makes the rest of it look a little bit worse as far as I'm concerned.

• Locked thread