Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

evil spiff posted:

Anything for Dragon Age: Origins (360)?

I feel like it may have been mentioned briefly earlier in the thread, but I have been following it since the beginning, so it's starting to run together a bit. :downs:

I've found (and hell, posted for help myself) with this game the 360 version is actually still harder than the PC version just because of the lack of isometric view. Don't be afraid to have every encounter be a min-max fest, the game is actually challenging. If you have a rogue in your party (and you really should), use traps. Tell your comrades to chill somewhere, lay down traps, then pull your encounter, it makes a huge difference. Don't be afraid to coat your weapons in poisons/what have you, saving them up is useless and using them comes in handy, every bit of extra damage does help. Mess around with the macro function of your allies, so that they don't suck when you're not controlling them. In particular, have Wynne save up all of her mana for healing and buffing. If you bought the game new and have access to the DLC, remember the equipment you get is probably the best gear you can get...for your level, it'll be outclassed in 1 or 2 armor tiers. If you care about that sort of thing, wait until the end to do those quests. AOE spells suck due to how hard it is to control your characters during the heat of the battle, and they'll probably run into them, use them only when the enemies are coming towards you and there is little to no risk of your allies getting hit by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.
Is there a benefit to picking up the corpses of downed enemies in Valkyria Chronicles?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Primitive Screwhead posted:

Is there a benefit to picking up the corpses of downed enemies in Valkyria Chronicles?

Small exp boost.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Palleon posted:

Small exp boost.

I really don't think that's true in the version of Valkyria Chronicles released outside of Japan. I never noticed any boost when I would approach enemy corpses.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up Civ3 Complete on a whim since it was $5 on Steam. Never played a Civ game before, nor have I ever really been great at strategy games. Any tips?

Pi Soup
Oct 12, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

Picked up Civ3 Complete on a whim since it was $5 on Steam. Never played a Civ game before, nor have I ever really been great at strategy games. Any tips?

Luxury goods are stupidly good to trade with other cultures, so if you're big on diplomacy try to take as many luxuries as you can.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Primitive Screwhead posted:

I thought in later levels it gave a chance to receive their weapon. Or maybe only certain enemies give you their weapon. But I don't have any direct proof of that.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Orvin posted:

I thought in later levels it gave a chance to receive their weapon. Or maybe only certain enemies give you their weapon. But I don't have any direct proof of that.

You get the weapons from killing Aces or from getting an A rank on the mission (starting with mission 10 or 11, I believe). It's automatic as long as you meet those parameters. You'll always get presented with the weapon (aces) or told to visit the castle (A-rank)

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

Pi Soup posted:

Luxury goods are stupidly good to trade with other cultures, so if you're big on diplomacy try to take as many luxuries as you can.

In the later era, you can trade these (and technologies) to other countries for hundreds of gold a turn. You'll never have to worry about money again if you play your cards right.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Any more tips on Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga? There's some info on the Wiki but it's pretty scant, and it seems to be generalized info for all SMT games.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Strange Matter posted:

Any more tips on Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga? There's some info on the Wiki but it's pretty scant, and it seems to be generalized info for all SMT games.

Yeah, some of the entries there seem to be for Nocturne (I don't recall fog breath even being in these games, but it's been awhile). What I would suggest:

- Develop your characters' magic primarily along the line of their weakness, not strength (e.g. focus Serph down the fire path, not ice one). This is because the line for each element includes not only offensive spells for that element, but also defensive skills against it, and in this game...

- ... shield (or absorb) skills will win you tough battles. If a boss hits someone's elemental weakness, they get an extra half-turn. If they hit a shield spell covering an element, they lose an extra one (or two? don't remember any more; absorb takes away the rest of their press turns and heals you, but that's later in the game).

- It's a megaten game, so buffs are important; there are 4 levels of those in DDS1 and 3 in DDS2 (not 1 like in Persona 3/4). Later on, you may want to have dekaja and dekunda available at least as combos

- Eat plenty, hopefully during every random encounter (hitting elemental weaknesses makes it easier). There are some skills that make you share the gotten atma

- Both parts will shuffle around your character availability at some points, so it may make sense to invest in the shared karma (IIRC) skills.

- Remember you can pass at cost of half of a turn. It can be very important.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
For people with Last Remnant Questions, I think there is a big difference between PC and 360 so it would help to mention which version was played.

I started playing Lost Odyssey this last week, and I have seen other things mentioned, but not these questions:

Which Rings are useful? I am about 10 hours into the game, and I have a ton of rings like the element ones, things that hurt certain classes of enemies like biological enemies, beasts etc, things with a chance at status effects like poison and paralyze, and things that drain MP and so on. I have upgraded some rings to something like Fire Ring + 1, which has a bigger "ring" area, for lack of a better term. I also found the guy who combines basic rings, so I have a bunch that are something like an element + damage by combining a fire ring (or water or whatever) with a bruiser ring. The only one that seems significantly better than others is the adamantite or whatever it is called ring which I got from the guy in a pot for 20 seeds, because it has 3 effects on it.

Right now it seems like other than the adamantite ring which I keep on Seth , it seems best to just use whatever elemental goes against the weakness of what I am fighting. I have not used any of the status effect rings at all, because I don't know how often they go off, is it like 50% of the time if you get a Perfect, 20%? I have no idea. They seem like they would be useful if they go off often, but if it is rare I don't see a point in hoping for something like paralyze to happen when I could have been doing more damage every hit with an elemental ring. Also, does the first ring +1 extra (the one with a bigger ring you make by combining the basic ring with 5 or 6 things that you find later) do more elemental damage, or is it just a bigger "good" rating ring range?

Also, with rings, where exactly are you supposed to stop it to get perfect? I get perfect maybe 30-40% of the time, but it is all based on timing, not looking at the ring exactly, I get good the rest of the time. Using the extra 1+ rings with the huge ring, it does not seem easier to get perfect, just that the good range is increased? Is that correct?

This game seems like has a few vague descriptions on some spells/abilities/effects that don't really help you understand what it does. Seal - Seals enemy? I could figure that out, but without looking it up online I would still not know what it does.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

I know they both have entries in the Wiki in the OP, but I need some tips on System Shock 2 and STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

The two most important statistics for guns are accuracy (determines how far your bullet strays from your intended target) and handling (determines the recoil of each additional shot). The game simulates ballistics which means you have to lead targets (aim ahead of them if they're moving based on distance and angle) and something new players just can't seem to wrap their heads around is that, like a real gun, the recoil causes you to pull your shots upwards. If you aim directly at the head with an inaccurate gun, yes even from 10' away, your shot will whiz right past them and they'll unload like 30 shells into you before you can readjust your aim.

Always aim at center mass and gently caress headshots; most shots stun enemies anyways so you get an extra second to keep putting bullets into them. Until you get a scoped, accurate weapon you'll never get a headshot without wasting tons of ammo and time or unless you're standing 5' away from an enemy and if they're aware of you at that distance I guarantee you're dead or about to be dead.

The AI is pretty brutal, even on normal, and you'll notice enemies will split up, flank you, toss grenades, and lead you into ambushes. If you see someone breaking off from the pack it means they're trying to flank you. Vision is the #1 important thing to the game because the radar only picks up people firing at you and trust me when I say it's easy to lose sight of a target in a hectic fight.

Midway through the game you'll get some automatics and scopes which make things easier but don't get careless because enemies will still surprise you. I can't think of any other shooter that's made me a more humble and conservative player. Stalker isn't a traditional shooter and if you play it like one you'll die. A lot.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

al-azad posted:

The AI is pretty brutal, even on normal, and you'll notice enemies will split up, flank you, toss grenades, and lead you into ambushes.
The part about grenades is 100% false in vanilla, leading you into ambushes almost never happens (except for 1 or 2 scripted sequences)

quote:

the radar only picks up people firing at you
Also totally false.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

The part about grenades is 100% false in vanilla, leading you into ambushes almost never happens (except for 1 or 2 scripted sequences)
Also totally false.

I was playing 1.5 and people were throwing grenades so maybe I had something else installed, I don't know. I played through vanilla on hell and by "leading you into ambushes" I meant lone enemies will fall back and regroup if pressed. First time I noticed this was clearing the bandits out of the car park (which is pretty much a wake up call for new players). One of the dudes by the fire moved into the long hallway while two others went out the garage doors. I followed the dude into the hallway thinking my allies would handle the other guys only to have the lone guy I was chasing lead me outside where the two other bandits killed me.

And I don't know the details but I noted the radar was based on sight/firing. If you see a hostile enemy they appear as a small red dot and disappear after a few seconds if you lose sight of them. When they fire at you their dot grows larger.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 26, 2010

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

al-azad posted:

The game simulates ballistics which means you have to lead targets (aim ahead of them if they're moving based on distance and angle) and something new players just can't seem to wrap their heads around is that, like a real gun, the recoil causes you to pull your shots upwards.

Always aim at center mass and gently caress headshots;
Seriously? I may have to play this just for those facts alone.

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

al-azad posted:

The two most important statistics for guns are accuracy (determines how far your bullet strays from your intended target) and handling (determines the recoil of each additional shot). The game simulates ballistics which means you have to lead targets (aim ahead of them if they're moving based on distance and angle) and something new players just can't seem to wrap their heads around is that, like a real gun, the recoil causes you to pull your shots upwards. If you aim directly at the head with an inaccurate gun, yes even from 10' away, your shot will whiz right past them and they'll unload like 30 shells into you before you can readjust your aim.

This is bogus. The first shot out of a real firearm goes almost precisely straight; the impulse of recoil doesn't significantly impact your aim until after the bullet has left the barrel. In STALKER, rifles shoot above the point of aim of the iron-sights because whoever coded the aiming in that game was retarded. It might make sense as the rifle being zeroed for a longer distance, but there's a reason firearms have adjustable iron sights. It's usually about half a centimeter high, and if you can anticipate that, you'll be right on your point of aim every time. There's no good reason not to use a firearm to the point where you can make consistent headshots and then relying on them.

Incidentally, a good rule of thumb for STALKER (at least in Call of Pripyat) is to float your target on the center dot of the front sight. Adjust for variable ranges; because bullets have simulated external ballistics, at two hundred yards or so the point of impact will fall back down to even with the front sight.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Flatness is a pretty important stat that isn't shown on the weapons for some reason. It affects the velocity of the round and how much it drops.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Any tips for Battlestations Pacific (on the 360)? I'm clearly going to have to sit down with the manual and whatever in-game tutorials there are to even begin to wrap my head around this one, but anyone have any general tips for how to approach either the SP or MP?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

John Pastor posted:

This is bogus. The first shot out of a real firearm goes almost precisely straight; the impulse of recoil doesn't significantly impact your aim until after the bullet has left the barrel. In STALKER, rifles shoot above the point of aim of the iron-sights because whoever coded the aiming in that game was retarded. It might make sense as the rifle being zeroed for a longer distance, but there's a reason firearms have adjustable iron sights. It's usually about half a centimeter high, and if you can anticipate that, you'll be right on your point of aim every time. There's no good reason not to use a firearm to the point where you can make consistent headshots and then relying on them.

Incidentally, a good rule of thumb for STALKER (at least in Call of Pripyat) is to float your target on the center dot of the front sight. Adjust for variable ranges; because bullets have simulated external ballistics, at two hundred yards or so the point of impact will fall back down to even with the front sight.

Maybe I'm just limp wristed but whenever I fire a gun I have to compensate for the fact that squeezing the trigger causes the tendons in my forearm to naturally jerk. It's why I hate the first shot of a double-action pistol and instinctively lock the hammer back because those extra pounds of pressure kill my first shot. I thought the game simulated that but I didn't know the gun's sights were hardcoded like that. Still, common sense dictates that there's little point in aiming at the smallest possible point on a target. Human enemies go down after 3 or 4 shots and you stun them on a successful hit anyway. Aiming for the head and possibly missing a bunch of times while subsequently leaving yourself open is just dumb. Again, I played the game on hell which is no joke early game.

And I didn't know there was a hidden stat that affected velocity. I did notice some guns drop off closer than others.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

al-azad posted:

Always aim at center mass and gently caress headshots; most shots stun enemies anyways so you get an extra second to keep putting bullets into them. Until you get a scoped, accurate weapon you'll never get a headshot without wasting tons of ammo and time or unless you're standing 5' away from an enemy and if they're aware of you at that distance I guarantee you're dead or about to be dead.

Midway through the game you'll get some automatics and scopes which make things easier but don't get careless because enemies will still surprise you. I can't think of any other shooter that's made me a more humble and conservative player. Stalker isn't a traditional shooter and if you play it like one you'll die. A lot.
This is so true.

The instinct of someone who plays FPS games is to always aim for the head. The LP of Stalker is from someone who knows the game and still misses way too often from aiming at the head and with an "accurate" weapon. The game is so different from conventional FPSs.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Nah.

Mid-game+ guns are accurate enough to get constant headshots, and most early game combat should be at point blank - starting guns are hilariously inaccurate at any other range even if you go for bodyshots.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
How bout Monster Rancher? (Monster Rancher 2 in the US) I haven't played it in many many years and wasn't that good at it to start with.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Any scrub tips for DoW2? Just got it via THQ's website. Looking for vs. skirmish tips, specifically, for any race.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I've been thinking of taking on Final Fantasy II for the PSP. I've played both Dawn of Souls and the original NES game, so I know for the most part what I'm getting into. But I heard the changes made to the PSP version actually gently caress over people playing it conventionally. How should I play the game so I can get through it with a minimum of getting hosed over or bored grinding?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What's some good tips for Dawn of War II. Just picked it up from the UK THQ sale for seven dollars and was wondering if there any general advice. I only did the first tutorial mission and haven't spent any points yet.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Any tips for Battlestations Pacific (on the 360)? I'm clearly going to have to sit down with the manual and whatever in-game tutorials there are to even begin to wrap my head around this one, but anyone have any general tips for how to approach either the SP or MP?

It's not really that hard of a game to figure out, and the SP should teach you all you need to know. Just remember that your ships automatically repair themselves over time, so if you think you're hosed in a battle, don't be afraid to fall back. Also, medals in SP missions are based off your objectives, and not on time. When I did the Battle of Midway it took as long as the real thing because I was retarded with how I dealt with the last ship, and I still got gold.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Finally managed to track down a copy of Ico. Anything in particular I should know before I jump into it?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Panic Restaurant posted:

Finally managed to track down a copy of Ico. Anything in particular I should know before I jump into it?
Honestly, no. It's pretty straightforward and there's nothing you can really miss that I can think of.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh good this thread isn't too badly dead. Guess I'll post in it.

I'm jumping into Dragon Quest Warrior VII. It's the only one, barring the first 3, that I've not played. I'm told it's one of the grindiest games in the whole grindy series and the grinding increases tenfold if you aren't totally familiar with the job system.

Also I have a question: Do I ever get party members that aren't the Prince and Mirabel, because I utterly loathe them both.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Panic Restaurant posted:

Nate RFB is right. There isn't much you need to know. If you like hidden stuff, though, there's a weapon you'll likely miss unless you look up its location. It's not at all necessary, though.

Edit: Also the save screen music is kickin' rad.

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006

Corridor posted:

Oh good this thread isn't too badly dead. Guess I'll post in it.

I'm jumping into Dragon Quest Warrior VII. It's the only one, barring the first 3, that I've not played. I'm told it's one of the grindiest games in the whole grindy series and the grinding increases tenfold if you aren't totally familiar with the job system.

Also I have a question: Do I ever get party members that aren't the Prince and Mirabel, because I utterly loathe them both.

Yea you will. Make sure you don't leave shards with your party members. There is a part where Maribel leaves, and they didn't bother to have her give you the stuff she is carrying. I figured that one out after wandering all over looking for the one shard I was missing. That save went down the drain, thanks Maribel!

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Panic Restaurant posted:

Slow down and look around every once in a while. The lighting effects in particular were great for their time and if you get too lost in the game you can end up powering through and missing some pretty stuff.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

ShiningForceHero posted:

Yea you will. Make sure you don't leave shards with your party members. There is a part where Maribel leaves, and they didn't bother to have her give you the stuff she is carrying. I figured that one out after wandering all over looking for the one shard I was missing. That save went down the drain, thanks Maribel!

Thanks, I will make doubly sure that no NPC has anything except equipment and herbs at any given time. Honestly Squeenix I thought you'd have sorted out that bullshit by the SEVENTH game in the loving series.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Somehow managed to not notice this before despite posting right after it.

The game itself is kinda short, and uh, a bit dull to play. I mean I love it, but it is. It's more about the art/story/atmosphere than it is about innovative radical awesome gamer moves. Just go into it with the knowledge that it's kind of an interactive art book, then hopefully you won't be one of those guys who are hatin' on Ico because it's SO BORING I MEAN IT'S THE SAME FIGHT MOVE OVER AND OVER WTF IS THIS poo poo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Corridor posted:

Thanks, I will make doubly sure that no NPC has anything except equipment and herbs at any given time. Honestly Squeenix I thought you'd have sorted out that bullshit by the SEVENTH game in the loving series.

Square hadn't merged with Enix yet but DQVII is the "grindiest" game in the series. You earn class levels by battling, not experience, which means you advance the same fighting blue slimes as you do harder monsters. The time mechanics also mean you end up going through dungeons more than once. The game is the longest in the series and even if you cruise through it you're looking at a 100 hour adventure minimum.

There's a reason the game is the 2nd best selling version in the franchise. Japanese people eat this poo poo up.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Well, if you don't like escort missions, the game may not be the best for you, as almost the entirety of the game is one. Fortunately, your partner character is useful in areas and manages to avoid being annoying for the most part.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

If you get stuck and can't find the shards you need, after saving one of the towns you can find a witch who will give you hints. I forget the name of the town, but it's the one that gets besieged by robots. She'll be at the entrance of the robots' base.

When Maribel leaves you temporarily, I'm pretty sure you can refind whatever shards she had. If not, she's the only party member who can mess you up like that.

You don't get access to job classes until you save Dharma Temple. If you want to minimize the amount of grinding in the game, I would suggest using GameFAQs to look up the requirements for the third tier jobs. Start working the hero and Gabo towards one each since they will be available immediately and never leave. That will also send them through the more useful jobs as the requirements. If you find any Heart items, those are one-use items that will unlock a class for a character. Monster classes are probably more work than they're worth unless you really like the idea or you stumble across a heart for a high-tier monster. (PS: The GameFAQs guide says you need three intermediate classes and a Hero Heart for the Hero class. That's not true; it's three intermediate classes OR a Hero Heart.)

al-azad posted:

Square hadn't merged with Enix yet but DQVII is the "grindiest" game in the series. You earn class levels by battling, not experience, which means you advance the same fighting blue slimes as you do harder monsters.

This is true for the most part. You do get only one job EXP per battle, but areas have a level cap after which they stop giving job EXP. These level caps are actually really high, and you probably will not run into them unless it's on purpose. Either way, once you get to disc two there are no level caps on the world map, and the town of Krage will have nothing but slimes around it. This town is also good for grinding regular EXP since there are lots of metal slimes there.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I've been thinking of taking on Final Fantasy II for the PSP. I've played both Dawn of Souls and the original NES game, so I know for the most part what I'm getting into. But I heard the changes made to the PSP version actually gently caress over people playing it conventionally. How should I play the game so I can get through it with a minimum of getting hosed over or bored grinding?

I've never played the GBA version of FF2 but I tackled the PSP FF2 after reading the FF2 LP and I never really had an issue. There are three new dungeons in the main game that I've heard require multiple runs of each. The dungeons need the right keywords to be completed and of course the keywords necessary to beat the dungeon are inside the dungeon itself. There's also a game mode available when you beat the main game where you play as all the guys who died in the main game grinding out a completely new cast.

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006

Miracon posted:

When Maribel leaves you temporarily, I'm pretty sure you can refind whatever shards she had. If not, she's the only party member who can mess you up like that.

Since she comes back later, I think the developers figured, "Hey, we don't have to bother having her give all her items to the party, because she will be back later!". There are potentially two items she can leave with, a windshard and the RainbowDew. Having her leave with either of these is game breaking. I just really enjoy that this happens about 60 to 70 hours into the game, so if this happens and you don't have a backup save, you are hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stri-Daddy
Feb 15, 2003
I really want to play Phantasy Star 1-4.

Which one is considered the best, and what should I know before starting?