Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Interesting that he cites Bathory, Hellhamer, Slayer and Sodom as early examples of pre- Death death metal...I thought they were clearly first wave black metal! :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Slayer, Sodom....death metal? :psyduck:

Felix Towerpants
Nov 5, 2008

Practically perfect in every way!

Ronnie Spector posted:

It's worth noting that ANUS was pretty much the first place on the internet for metal-related content (their first entry on archive.org is from 1997 and they've been around as a Usenet presence since 1987). They also kept the names of some more obscure bands alive over the years, for example I doubt Demilich would be anywhere near as well known as they are now were it not for ANUS. Prozak's political beliefs are some kind of loony attempt to reconcile postmodernism with radical traditionalist fascism but I agree with his assessment of death metal and black metal bands almost 100%. Essentially the ANUS perspective is that not long after the most obvious tropes of those genres were codified into an easily replicable template (around 1990 for death metal and 1994 for black metal) their respective scenes were flooded with copycat bands who aimed to be black metal or death metal by virtue of emulating those tropes, but lacking an understanding of the deeper complexities which made the early bands great. It's probably a pretty good means of understanding the life of all genres, for example look at what's happening with dubstep right now as hordes of bedroom producers seek to emulate Chase & Status/Caspa/Rusko's dumb brostep poo poo.

Prozak also has a totally separate online presence for his real-world persona with corresponding Amazon account where he reviews contemporary lit and Iron & Wine albums which is pretty funny.

Heh, not bad. Thanks for that detailed explanation.

Hrafn
Feb 17, 2010

Hung Yuri posted:

Slayer, Sodom....death metal? :psyduck:

Pre-Death Metal or Proto-Death Metal, i. e. Speed Metal bands that came close to what Death Metal would later be.

Ronnie Spector put it quite well, while some of the Mods and Admins are pretty loony and pretentious, they still have some of the best metal reviews I've ever read on their site, and their continued active support of the underground is impressive.

By the way, the Schuldiner letter was actually sent to his mother. Prozak's a charming guy.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"

Not Very Metal posted:

Plasma1010 posted:

Plasma1010 posted:

Check out Evilfeast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iX1bI-9b3w
This poo poo is awesome. Thanks for the tip!

Wow. Great stuff. Will have to check out Evilfeast in its entirety now. Thanks.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Ronnie Spector posted:

I guess Summoning's post-2000 work is good but I'd rather listen to something like Basic Channel or Maurizio which is basically the same idea but in an electronic dance music context and relieved of the embarrassing D&D aesthetic.

In what bizarro world does Summoning have the slightest bit of commonality with Basic Channel? They both tend to be slow?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really digging this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQM5G5y7ik

The Black Satans are pretty good!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Latis posted:

I'm really digging this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQM5G5y7ik

The Black Satans are pretty good!

This is pretty awesome, I gotta say. The lead singer smiling like an idiot the whole time just makes it something special.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

This is pretty awesome, I gotta say. The lead singer smiling like an idiot the whole time just makes it something special.
It ties the thing together, but the best parts for me are the guy smashing the stick against the tree for no reason and the kickline that for some reason they only shot above the waist.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
I like this one better. Those guys also made some hip-hop videos similar to Cypress Hill.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

re: ANUS - people saying that their reviews are good reads need to check their wank-o-meter because they are, by and large, impenetrable and pretentious bullshit masquerading as English-language sentences. I'm not disputing the site's influence on the presence of metal on the internet, I'm just saying they don't do reviews (or politics for that matter) well at all.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 1, 2010

Scientology
May 19, 2009

The evolution of knowledge is toward simplicity, not complexity.
So I just finished listening to the new Darkthrone album, and the new Burzum album. I'm excited about Burzum just because it's Burzum, though I haven't had much time to give it a proper investigation. The new Darkthrone, on the other hand, is immediately recognizable as a phenomenal album, but not really a black metal album.

Observe the title track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOdUJiLDjIU

Goddamned if I don't love it though.

Eyes Burst At Dawn is another stand-out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgfuYRvsQnc

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

So, does this mean the Darkthrone album has leaked? I've preordered it on vinyl, but I don't think I can withstand the temptation to give it a spin if it's available.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Pleasure to chill posted:

So, does this mean the Darkthrone album has leaked?

Yes

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Scientology posted:

Observe the title track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOdUJiLDjIU

Did NOT expect that of the vocals. Interesting.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Kaiho posted:

re: ANUS - people saying that their reviews are good reads need to check their wank-o-meter because they are, by and large, impenetrable and pretentious bullshit masquerading as English-language sentences. I'm not disputing the site's influence on the presence of metal on the internet, I'm just saying they don't do reviews (or politics for that matter) well at all.

It's not so much that the reviews are good (because they aren't, really, unless you like reading ridiculously wordy stuff with no punctuation) but because generally speaking prozak only reviews black and death metal bands that are actually good. Death metal especially he really is mostly on the money, so it's not so much what he writes that you look for but rather that he writes in the first place. He can be a little more iffy on black metal, like his almost creepy fanboy stalker obsession with Averse Sefia.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Scientology posted:

Eyes Burst At Dawn is another stand-out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgfuYRvsQnc

That's bloody brilliant.

Also is that a necro native american on the cover

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Eyes Burst at Dawn is pretty cool, it's been up at Peaceville's site for a while (I posted a link earlier in this thread, I believe). I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. Darkthrone is one of the few 90's bands that has managed to evolve without starting to suck.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Caucasus Belli posted:

That's bloody brilliant.

Also is that a necro native american on the cover

I pretty sure that is War Chief Max Necro. Dennis Dread is a crusty art genuis!

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
The last track on the new Darkthrone is standing out for me. I like how the outro for the album is a minute of chanting in Norwegian followed by a awesome instrumental. More albums should end in a similar way.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Sounds like it's going to be another Darkthrone album that I listen to two or three times then never touch again.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

scrabbleship posted:

The last track on the new Darkthrone is standing out for me. I like how the outro for the album is a minute of chanting in Norwegian followed by a awesome instrumental. More albums should end in a similar way.

They are chanting "don't burn the castle" in Swedish, but with a heavy Norwegian accent. Maybe it's some kind of reference. v:shobon:v The album kicks rear end in my opinion. I just wish Darkthrone would start playing live, but I guess that's not gonna happen.

Ronnie Spector
Dec 4, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
The new Darkthrone has some good songs. It's dumb and regressive and self indulgent but it is at least spirited and at times they totally nail what I assume they're going for so that still makes it about a hundred times better than Burzum's latest effort even if they're not breaking any boundaries.

Oldstench posted:

In what bizarro world does Summoning have the slightest bit of commonality with Basic Channel? They both tend to be slow?

I dunno they both do this long slow-building thing where there's not really any structure or thematic development just a repetitive rhythm and a basic riff and then a bunch of other elements are introduced over that. In retrospect it was kind of a dumb thing to say.

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies
Darkthrone is the best Norwegian punk band since Turbonegro.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

EvilRobot posted:

Darkthrone is the best Norwegian punk band since Turbonegro.

If Turbonegro's post-Apocalypse Dudes material and Darkthrone's recent albums are the best punk Norway has to offer I truly feel sorry for the country

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Yeah Turbonegro have been poo poo since their comeback, and they keep getting worse. Although the new Darkthrone has some punk-ish elements, I think calling it punk is a far stretch.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
New Darkthrone seems to have taken a lot of influence from early doom metal. Which is good.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

m-o-o-n posted:

If Turbonegro's post-Apocalypse Dudes material and Darkthrone's recent albums are the best punk Norway has to offer I truly feel sorry for the country

There are some actual punk rock bands still going, but most of the old ones did not survive the early/mid-1990s (after which the number of new punk bands slowed to a trickle as the kids who might have formed them were getting into metal instead).

Edit: The only new, good punk band I can think of is Brutal Kuk ("Brutal Cock") from Trondheim. They're certainly punk as hell; the one time I saw them live the concert was aborted after three songs due to some moron triggering the fire supression system (breathing that powder sucks, and turns your snot blue for a week), after which the band resorted to getting drunk and belligerent backstage and had to be evicted from the venue by the cops.

Groke fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 2, 2010

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
The new Darkthrone is good but I definitely like their other post-cult albums better. So far anyway.

Some of the new poo poo they're trying out works pretty well. The new vocals aren't an improvement to me though. I do like some of the new guitar direction, but I miss the simple and fast attack they had going on FOAD, etc.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 2, 2010

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
I actually think Wagons might be my favourite Darkthrone to be honest

Plasma1010 posted:

Check out Evilfeast.

This is loving amazing tyvm for bringing it to my attention

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Caucasus Belli posted:

I actually think Wagons might be my favourite Darkthrone to be honest

I think I may have to agree with you. I'd be perfectly happy with several more Darkthrone albums with this crust punk to black metal ratio.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Groke posted:

There are some actual punk rock bands still going, but most of the old ones did not survive the early/mid-1990s (after which the number of new punk bands slowed to a trickle as the kids who might have formed them were getting into metal instead).

Edit: The only new, good punk band I can think of is Brutal Kuk ("Brutal Cock") from Trondheim. They're certainly punk as hell; the one time I saw them live the concert was aborted after three songs due to some moron triggering the fire supression system (breathing that powder sucks, and turns your snot blue for a week), after which the band resorted to getting drunk and belligerent backstage and had to be evicted from the venue by the cops.

Haggis is another good Norwegian punk band, they have some metal-influences though.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
So, does anyone have their hands on a copy of the new Countess album Burning Scripture? I know they had already taken pre-orders, but I figured they had probably shipped by now. Reviews?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So, does anyone have their hands on a copy of the new Countess album Burning Scripture? I know they had already taken pre-orders, but I figured they had probably shipped by now. Reviews?

I preordered, got nothing yet. Not being in Europe probably means I'll be the last to get it though.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Okay, I didn't see this one coming:

Proceeds from Burzum album “Belus” to benefit Haitian earthquake victims

quote:

Byelobog Productions announced that proceeds of the forthcoming Burzum album “Belus” will benefit victims of the earthquake in Haiti. The album, heralding the return of black metal legend Varg Vikernes after 11 years of inactivity, explores themes of Apollonian moral purity.

“Black metal is not a label I use for my music any longer,” said Vikernes. “It was the dark, the Dionysiac, and that is a force no man can control. Instead, I pursue the pure and honorable, which includes racial purity for Norwegians, and helping those who suffer misfortunes in life.” Vikernes added that the album will be released March 8 worldwide, including in quake-stricken Haiti.

In other words, help those less fortunate by buying Belus. :wtc:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That is unexpected.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Donating proceeds to Haiti and then in the next paragraph a bit of classic Varg racism. :3:

I am more entertained by this than Belus.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Caucasus Belli posted:

This is loving amazing tyvm for bringing it to my attention

Yeah if you didnt already hear some of his other tracks, here is another great track ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEefW_XViP8

Ill suggest getting a copy of Lost Horizons of Wisdom, if you only get only one Evilfeast Album. But all the albums are def. worth checking out. Off of the album Lost Horizons of Wisdom, the track called My Tower Among the Timeless Mountains is just a masterpiece of BM synth / guitar. That is indeed my favorite track of Evilfeast and has to be heard at all costs. In fact, I will challenge Filosofem with that track, and that is saying a lot.

Felix Towerpants
Nov 5, 2008

Practically perfect in every way!

ElectricWizard posted:

Okay, I didn't see this one coming:

Proceeds from Burzum album “Belus” to benefit Haitian earthquake victims

quote:

“It was the dark, the Dionysiac, and that is a force no man can control. Instead, I pursue the pure and honorable, which includes racial purity for Norwegians, and helping those who suffer misfortunes in life.” -Vikernes

Oh Varg... :allears:

Sure he views blacks as unworthy subhumans unfit to live amongst the proud Norseman. Sure, he keeps contradicting himself over the nature of his music and his beliefs. Sure, he's spent the last 15 years living in denial about committing a senseless murder which had no legal justification, BUT HEY, at least he's loving charitable okay!!! :cry: Varg has feelings too, man!

No, but in all seriousness, that's definitely not what I would have expected him to do. Kudos on finding that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Plasma1010 posted:

Ill suggest getting a copy of Lost Horizons of Wisdom, if you only get only one Evilfeast Album. But all the albums are def. worth checking out. Off of the album Lost Horizons of Wisdom, the track called My Tower Among the Timeless Mountains is just a masterpiece of BM synth / guitar. That is indeed my favorite track of Evilfeast and has to be heard at all costs. In fact, I will challenge Filosofem with that track, and that is saying a lot.

I'll see if I can find it. Amazon UK only had Funeral Sorcery - which I now own and am very impressed with, Im Schatten in particular.

Looks like I can order Lost Horizons from the label and get it airmailed if all else fails.

Latis posted:

That is unexpected.

Maybe he thinks that helping to rebuild Haiti will lead to more Haitians staying there?

Caucasus Belli fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 4, 2010