Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It turns out Homebase no longer stocks cork tiles or cork-board at all.

UK Goons, any ideas? I can't start my March Oath without it. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

If you want it today, I'd see if you've got a local hobbycraft. They stack bucketloads of useless poo poo for people like us who'll find a use for it. Failing that, google should give you some art supplier types who'll stock it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Just to make sure everyone is aware, there are a loving ton of painters better than me, Im just a local forums celebrity because I post too much

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MasterSlowPoke posted:

lmao you all are fawning over a dude who painted a naked lady on his tank

To be fair the whole thing looked pretty tasteful, unless of course he decided to paint another tank with his waifu on it.

PaintVagrant posted:

Just to make sure everyone is aware, there are a loving ton of painters better than me, Im just a local forums celebrity because I emptyquote too much

:q:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

bhsman posted:

:q:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I redid the gold on the Harbinger, and decided to change my Menofixs to white.

PV you were absolutely right about Menoth White Highlight as a way to brighten colors for highlight. Since it's more of a cream it doesn't look so stark. Note the purple. Also I did it just for you !ambicle.

I love how the gold looks it just take a long time to do/get right. And if you mess up you have to start back from silver.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Arlaharen posted:

This is glorious. And so much other sweet stuff on this page from the oathing thread, great work people!

I finished the new Nemo sculpt this weekend. Here he is on the left beside my old color scheme on the old model. It was one of the first Warmachine figs I painted :unsmith:

Fantastic! I never got around to painting the original, and now that his staff's broken, I'll never have to.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PaintVagrant posted:

Just to make sure everyone is aware, there are a loving ton of painters better than me, Im just a local forums celebrity because I post too much

That's like saying there's a whole bunch of better drivers in Formula 1 than the guy who came in last place. Even if he came in last place, he's still a Formula 1 driver.

you really do emptyquote too much though!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I could drive formula 1, Im the right size and weight and have an enormously strong neck

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Is there a role in Formula 1 similar to a enforcers in hockey? Because I think I could drive an F1 car long enough to crash into the race leader and give my teammate a chance to win.

As long as the cars are automatic, I can't drive stick. And I haven't driven a car at all in a couple of years.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Bitches, trad games discussion is where I come to get away from the clusterfuck that is the F1 thread in SAS :argh:

Just under two weeks to go until the season opener :ohdear:

In other news, did anyone see the 'paint a grot' competition on dakka? despite it being a godawful forum, I thought I'd take the challenge of at least half arsed'ly playing with a grot and ultimately failing to get it painted and forgetting it ever happened.. but eh, anyway, I've got this little grot.. marginally converted using parts from a total of 4 grot bodies. More later! :ssh:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah they are mostly automatic, although the drivers occasionally use the paddleshifters to downshift afaik.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

you really do emptyquote too much though!

dont give a fukkkk

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

dont give a fukkkk

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Heh, funny you should ask that, as I went to Homebase at the weekend looking for the very same stuff :(

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I watch Top Gear so I don't know poo poo about cars vroom vroom

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol I don't actually watch formula 1, about all I know about it is from top gear

enri
Dec 16, 2003

godamn heathens

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Everything I know about cars I learned from GW.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

enri posted:

godamn heathens

PaintVagrant posted:

dont give a fukkkk

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ebay has loads.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Ebay has loads.

Yeah, I know.. I was just hoping I could walk into a nearby store.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

lol I don't actually watch formula 1, about all I know about it is from top gear

this thread is now about the stig

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Gonna sculpt that helmet, cast it and make a Stig Marine army. It will be awesome and invincible*

*may or may not happen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"The Stig Squad" made up of all the various Stigs they've had over the years. Yes.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah, I know.. I was just hoping I could walk into a nearby store.

Check a cooking store. I got cork trivets/hotpads for cheap.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

jus need to add heads before primering. Supposed to be rubric marines, deciding between maxmini steamknight heads vs hornless chaos warrior heads. Was gonna use the OG headdress heads but if I figure if I was gonna use that I should've just went with the pewter box set instead of converting

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I painted some Skaven! :3:

My Deacon has a converted ccw. I think I could've bollocksed it up somewhat less; The pommel is all crooked, but it was a tiny piece and I have big clumsy fingers.

A very blue banner. I... wish I had pulled off the sigil better. And I need to repaint his nose. loving banner carriers; they need to be less top-heavy somehow without my having to pack the base full of greenstuff or pennies.

This one dude is why all my Skaven will be based in snow. He's skiing. :3:

Raar, my plague is apparently hantavirus! You'd think us giant rats would all have it, but nope! Just me and some other dude!

I tried this guy differently, didn't like it, did everyone else another way, and now I wish I'd done them all like him. :(

You may have noticed my Plague Monks are not in white. I figured perhaps the sun bleaches their robes white over time, and these tiny plastic ratmen are just new. Only just got infected or something. Makes them look nice and ragtag.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Wow, that grey is really effective. Nice models :)

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
C&C on the dirty white scars, please!

Click here for the full 729x1000 image.

Click here for the full 590x1000 image.

Click here for the full 781x1000 image.

Click here for the full 572x1000 image.

(the grime definitely does not look that dark in person)

-----------------

Click here for the full 1000x820 image.

Click here for the full 953x1000 image.

Click here for the full 1000x797 image.

Click here for the full 900x1000 image.

Ignore the mold lines (if you can!), I don't even remember where I got this model. I've never even primed white :smug:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Anphrax posted:

Wash it with Devlan Mud and repost pics. You really need shading with white especially.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Dont use black for the cracks, its too dark. Use a grey or a brown.

I think paul sawyers white scars had lightly sponged on edge weathering, using a brown or grey

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Goddamnit this Rhino is DONE!

Sternguard are nearly ready for basing. The just need a touch more detail work.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The icon on the side is facing the wrong way :byodood:

Other than that it's awesome

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fyrbrand posted:

The icon on the side is facing the wrong way :byodood:

I know... :cry: It was discovered about a month after gluing in the doors. They're on there good, I made sure of it. :doh:

Painting the flames was a blast and I think I'm getting better. I need to improve my lava though. I can't keep painting it exactly the same way as the flames. It's starting not to look right. Any tips? Should I use more orange than Yellow when I'm blending? I think its called blending, what I'm doing.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

oh man I'm actually painting all the tau I should have been painting for weeks and I'm making progress and and and why is starcraft installing oh shi-

prxi
Jan 10, 2009

It's time for a
summery execution!
So I've made my first custom(ish) model! He still needs some cleaning, but I'm looking more for the general idea.

He's supposed to be an ork kommando, so I figured I'd try my hand at the old barrel idea.

(Cross posted from oath thread)

His body fit in the barrel pretty well, though I had to do a lot of work to get the legs to fit properly (read: cut cut cut!) But I think they came out okay!

I tried to get the knife a little closer to the guy, but I would have ended up having to green stuff a lot, and being that i'm really newbish with the stuff, I figured I'd better keep it simple for now.

I though I did an okay job on the guardsman, but I worry that the head might not paint well, due to it normally being severed...

Anyway, I was hoping someone could provide me with some C&C on the guy. Thanks! :)

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NecronSchmecron posted:

I know... :cry: It was discovered about a month after gluing in the doors. They're on there good, I made sure of it. :doh:

Painting the flames was a blast and I think I'm getting better. I need to improve my lava though. I can't keep painting it exactly the same way as the flames. It's starting not to look right. Any tips? Should I use more orange than Yellow when I'm blending? I think its called blending, what I'm doing.

Yeah I'm definitely not the person to ask about that. My inability to paint proper looking flames = a shameful salamder

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PaintVagrant posted:

Wow, that grey is really effective. Nice models :)

The amount of times I wanted to break down crying and start over painting the mantles because I was sure I had loving ruined them all, man, I'm gratified for the thumbs-up.

Anphrax posted:

Instead of approaching it with the idea of adding grime, why not go the other way? Grime it all up first, then lightly paint back on the cleaner areas. That's what I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prxi
Jan 10, 2009

It's time for a
summery execution!

Anphrax posted:

Drybrushing! Using it on your models can add some really convincing 'dirty' areas. On my chimera I did a light drybrush of black and then one of scorched earth and it looked like dirt had crept all along the hull. I thought it worked out really well, I can throw a pic up if you'd like.

Also, washes work well for getting in the crevices, like everyone has said. The gryphonne sepia wash is really great too. A lot lighter than devlan mud :)

Edit : If you wanted a comparison :) Here's a sepia wash and here's devlan mud

prxi fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 2, 2010

• Locked thread