Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Got all of your emails! I'm back at school and have the pattern written down here, so expect a reply soon :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello fence
Apr 24, 2008

I'm Gonna Hurt You.
made a couple of these based on a free pattern I found for valentines! both came out a little lopsided, I always miscount somewhere ugh

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

and I'd be interested in the kitty pattern as well, hope you don't mind another email!

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

hello fence posted:

made a couple of these based on a free pattern I found for valentines! both came out a little lopsided, I always miscount somewhere ugh

and I'd be interested in the kitty pattern as well, hope you don't mind another email!

Ahh hearts! I still haven't tried my hand at making any but I should.

And no problem, I don't mind at all! :) I'll try to send it out tonight.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.

hello fence posted:

Where is the pattern for these?

Also, your avatar inspired me to post this:

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

I kind of made him up as I went along. I used the wrong size eyes and now he sort of looks like Howard and Old Gregg's lovechild.

hello fence
Apr 24, 2008

I'm Gonna Hurt You.

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Where is the pattern for these?

Also, your avatar inspired me to post this:

Click here for the full 453x604 image.

I kind of made him up as I went along. I used the wrong size eyes and now he sort of looks like Howard and Old Gregg's lovechild.

haha, it's a silly watercolour I did. little Gregg is cute though, I love how you did his face!

the pattern is here, as a pdf http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/Seasonal/WR1828+Amigurumi+Heart.htm
I just used the basic heart shape, I thought the rest looked a bit too silly (but could come in handy for other things)

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Alright guys, I sent out my pattern! I think there were 6 of you who asked. If I forgot anyone, just let me know and I'll send it your way.

Also, since I don't want to bombard your inboxes with corrections, I already found another error in my pattern: at some point I tell you to "dec" instead of "invdec," but I don't actually mean anything different. :( My brain just turned to mush and I guess I forgot to specify invisible decrease instead of regular decrease. Sorry about that!

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!

shark farts posted:

Alright guys, I sent out my pattern! I think there were 6 of you who asked. If I forgot anyone, just let me know and I'll send it your way.

Also, since I don't want to bombard your inboxes with corrections, I already found another error in my pattern: at some point I tell you to "dec" instead of "invdec," but I don't actually mean anything different. :( My brain just turned to mush and I guess I forgot to specify invisible decrease instead of regular decrease. Sorry about that!

Nothing is in my inbox, I'll drop you another e-mail.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Are you on Ravelry? Would you mind me posting the pattern there or do you want to keep it to these forums only?

Feet Slash Birds
Feb 5, 2008

I demanded real money for internet risk and this is the result

shark farts posted:

Kind of a repost, made another Valentine's kitty and fixed up the pink one I already posted a photo of. They're all finished and boxed up to send to my admiree :)

I made sure to write down the pattern and tried to improve it as I worked, if anyone would be interested in the pattern (it might be a little confusing at parts due to my lack of know-how but it's not too hard) just let me know. I'd love to see what other people's look like!

As the Valentines Day recipient of these guys I can certify that they are "kickin rad."

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Ms. Happiness posted:

Are you on Ravelry? Would you mind me posting the pattern there or do you want to keep it to these forums only?

I am, though I haven't posted or done anything yet. My username there is sarsel. I was thinking of eventually offering the pattern for sale (not much, maybe just $3 or something) if it wasn't too complicated and you guys enjoyed it, but if you want to post it in the meantime I'm fine with that!

Also, sorry CureMinorWounds! It should be in your inbox now.
I'm glad the original kitties got to their recipient safely! And that they are also kickin rad. Knowing that you like them has totally made my day. :)

shark farts fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 19, 2010

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
I posted this on Crafster but I wanted to make something to wear, before this week I'd only made little beasties and blankets.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

McBeth,

Very nice! Was it difficult to make?

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006

Ms. Happiness posted:

McBeth,

Very nice! Was it difficult to make?

Thanks! No it's a bunch of granny squares. I used the wrong sized hook and when assembled was huge on me. So I took it all apart, checked measurements and had enough leftover squares for a scarf. I got the pattern here:

http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/27943.aspx

Then I bought some of their other gorgeous patterns and am working on something else.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I'm making a goofy hat for my sister for her birthday. Here's my kid modeling the unfinished product.

I'm a little less than halfway through and her birthday is this Friday. I hope I can finish it in time!

hello fence
Apr 24, 2008

I'm Gonna Hurt You.
oh man, tried out the pattern

and made a white kitty, plus scarf :3:

I think he turned out pretty good, and I even learned a new trick (the invisible decrease) woo. the one thing I kinda stumbled on was making the arms, near the end the decreases made the arm hole really really tiny, so I ended up putting an extra stitch or two between decreases. that coulda been my mistake though. either way it wasn't a big deal, and I still love it. gonna send this one out as a birthday gift, hope that is okay! (not gonna sell them or anything, especially if you're thinking about selling the pattern yourself) thank you again for the pattern!

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
I promised my friend I'd make him a Meta Knight for his birthday in October. Being the bad person I am, I just finished it.

Here he is with his cape:

Here he is with wings, instead (they're interchangeable on the doll):

Here he is eating a really terrible Kirby doll I made awhile ago:

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006

electricgoat posted:

I promised my friend I'd make him a Meta Knight for his birthday in October. Being the bad person I am, I just finished it.

Here he is with his cape:

Here he is with wings, instead (they're interchangeable on the doll):

Here he is eating a really terrible Kirby doll I made awhile ago:

Wow you need to send this to ravelry, craftster, geek crafts, etc. It's awesome.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Does anyone have any ideas about where/what kind of magnets I should get if I'm going to make animals that hold hands/kiss? Someone told me to just get cheap alphabet refrigerator magnets and just pop the magnets out the back, but they've got to sell small, durable, strong magnets at thrift stores, right?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Does anyone have any ideas about where/what kind of magnets I should get if I'm going to make animals that hold hands/kiss? Someone told me to just get cheap alphabet refrigerator magnets and just pop the magnets out the back, but they've got to sell small, durable, strong magnets at thrift stores, right?

Thrift stores not so much, unless you intend to take the magnets from something else.

You can get magnets without the crap stuck to them at craft stores.

I bought a pack of magnets at Walmart ages ago and there's no sort of strength designation on them. They're about the diameter of a nickel and just a tad thicker, but these ones probably aren't strong enough to hold through yarn. My suggestion would be to aim for the middle of the price range when buying magnets from a craft store, unless they have some sort of strength scale.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 24, 2010

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Yeah, I meant to write craft stores, not thrift stores. :downs:

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

hello fence posted:

oh man, tried out the pattern

and made a white kitty, plus scarf :3:

I think he turned out pretty good, and I even learned a new trick (the invisible decrease) woo. the one thing I kinda stumbled on was making the arms, near the end the decreases made the arm hole really really tiny, so I ended up putting an extra stitch or two between decreases. that coulda been my mistake though. either way it wasn't a big deal, and I still love it. gonna send this one out as a birthday gift, hope that is okay! (not gonna sell them or anything, especially if you're thinking about selling the pattern yourself) thank you again for the pattern!

Oh my god he's adorable! :3: You did such a good job! Hmm, as for the arm though, I usually only decrease on one round after the round where I make the thumb, and then just continue to SC 8 all the way up to the top... So I'll see if I encounter the same problem when I make my next one. Sorry for the confusion!

And giving him as a present is totally fine, don't worry!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I just finished my valentine kitty, will take pictures when I get home. I used almost a whole skein of Lion brand Jiffy, also in white. SC 8 around the arm didn't feel too tiny for me. I really like how the pot belly turned out and the thumb construction is very clever. Well done writing the pattern too, the directions were quite clear.

Charmmi fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 26, 2010

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
That looks great!

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Awesome job!

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

are requests for the pattern still ok? It looks so adorable!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Dang mark me down for a pattern too.

Pot bellied kitties are my favorite kind of kitties.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

shark farts posted:

Kind of a repost, made another Valentine's kitty and fixed up the pink one I already posted a photo of. They're all finished and boxed up to send to my admiree :)

I made sure to write down the pattern and tried to improve it as I worked, if anyone would be interested in the pattern (it might be a little confusing at parts due to my lack of know-how but it's not too hard) just let me know. I'd love to see what other people's look like!

Are you still giving out the pattern? I'd love to see it :> I get PMs and I can give you something in return if you want?

shark farts
Nov 28, 2007

Requests for patterns are still totally cool if you guys want, I'm so happy you guys like it! Charmmi he is adorable and I love how he turned out :3: It's so interesting to see how the stuffing affects their shape! I seriously overstuff mine so they look really fat, but I should consider cutting back on the stuffing because yours and Hello Fence's look SO cute!

I don't have platinum, so if you guys want the pattern just sent me an email at sarsler@gmail.com and I'll reply ASAP! I'm thinking of making lots of these little guys and selling them and the pattern itself at a convention I'm going to this summer so I'm seriously overjoyed to see that people like them :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I barely know how to crochet, so I was wondering if anyone knew a good instructional video/videos on really easy granny squares.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Does this this help at all?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ms. Happiness posted:

Does this this help at all?

I'll let you know after I drive myself crazy with my hook and yarn.

I'm going to learn to crochet well, drat it! And make that little bear myself!

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I'm confused. I'm making these socks: http://www.crochetandknitting.com/socks.htm . I'm all the way at row 38 for the rest of the foot, and I somehow JUST NOW noticed it says "turn" at the end of every row.

Did I gently caress this up? I thought you make socks in the round, why would you turn at the end of each row? Would you then be going back and forth in some weird zigzag? Please tell me I don't have to unravel everything I just did...I've had these drat socks in progress for over a month now.

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

pepsigloworm posted:

I'm confused. I'm making these socks: http://www.crochetandknitting.com/socks.htm . I'm all the way at row 38 for the rest of the foot, and I somehow JUST NOW noticed it says "turn" at the end of every row.

Did I gently caress this up? I thought you make socks in the round, why would you turn at the end of each row? Would you then be going back and forth in some weird zigzag? Please tell me I don't have to unravel everything I just did...I've had these drat socks in progress for over a month now.

Are you making the heel flap? With socks, you usually work in rows for the heel flap and then re-establish the round later.

pepsigloworm
Mar 11, 2005
Moo
I'm done with the heel flap actually, and on the "rest of the foot" part...I did the heel flap just fine, it turned out great. However when continuing with the rest of the sock, I just noticed the "Turn" at the end of each row. If it's in the round, why would you turn? Or am I not supposed to be doing it in the round?

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
I think they tell you to turn because you generally want the right side of your crochets to all face the same way. You're still working in the round, but by doing a slip stitch at the end of each row, you're ending that row, then chaining to go up to your next row. Not turning might cause your increases and decreases to not line up.

Working in the round just means you're making a tube, much like with knitting.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
^^^

What Solana said, I've made several pair of socks from this pattern.

It's getting spring-ish out, and my annual I-need-new-sundresses itch has kicked in hard. I've already got a few lined up to sew when I get some time next week, but since I learned how to crochet over the summer last year I'd really like to try crocheting a dress this year. The problem is all I can seem to find online pattern-wise is a few horrible dresses from the 70's (and I *like* retro clothing). Can anyone suggest a place to get some nice, somewhat simple (I'm at probably advanced beginner level so far) sundress crochet patterns? Even knit ones would be a start; I picked up a book on translating knitting patterns into crochet, so I could likely muddle my way through by trial and error.

If all else fails, I'm going to try just keeping it simple and winging it. I like halter-top dresses, so I figure I could start with a halter-top shirt or bikini pattern in one color/stitch (I'm thinking this one), kind of eyeball it, then change colors and/or stitches under the bodice part and crochet it in the round in an a-line skirt pattern.

It looks okay in my mind, but who the hell knows if it'll turn out, heh. Nice thing about yarnworking at least, is if it looks terrible, I can just unravel it and not have wasted the yarn.

King of the Mambo
Aug 2, 2009
So it's okay to finish up a rnd, turn, and start working the next rnd in the opposite direction?

I'm asking because I'm trying to make a hat with a dc mesh pattern and I'm pretty sure the directions are wrong, so I'm sort of winging it...

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

Cerri posted:

It's getting spring-ish out, and my annual I-need-new-sundresses itch has kicked in hard. I've already got a few lined up to sew when I get some time next week, but since I learned how to crochet over the summer last year I'd really like to try crocheting a dress this year. The problem is all I can seem to find online pattern-wise is a few horrible dresses from the 70's (and I *like* retro clothing). Can anyone suggest a place to get some nice, somewhat simple (I'm at probably advanced beginner level so far) sundress crochet patterns? Even knit ones would be a start; I picked up a book on translating knitting patterns into crochet, so I could likely muddle my way through by trial and error.

You could try Contemporary Crochet by Sys Fredens - there's definitely a dress in there but I forget what yarn it uses, it may be more autumnal...it's a v-neck with long sleeves iirc. If nothing else there are plenty of halter tops and skirts in it which should be easy enough to combine. I'd love to make something like that but it's not worth it atm, what with being 6mo pg!

To contribute...have been locked away doing repetitive toy commissions for ages, but whizzed up these cute little baby hats this week :)

And blog post here: http://bit.ly/aMwq8O

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
Hey, don't know how many of you read the knitting thread as well, but I've put up a big chunk of my yarn stash for sale in SA Mart, if anyone's interested. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Has anyone tried to make the Infant Hip Dress in the free patterns on Ravelry? I'm getting so frustrated now that I'm at the point where I'm supposed to be shaping the arm holes. :(