Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Anphrax posted:

White Scars

Step 1-Prime White

Step 2-Paint details

Step 3-DEVLAN MUD. EVERYWHERE. AHAHAHHAHAHAHA-

Step 4-Clean up areas with white

Step 5-Finished! :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Someone wanna post PV's Storm Lords for inspirational purposes? :smug:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Those models never cease to amaze me, it's like an act of hobby masochism.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

Saw this loving coming a mile away. Good show. :cheers:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

Did you post a short "how-to" back when we were still allowed in GBS?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

(stalks threads, waiting for my name to be mentioined, posts pics, basks in glory*

Sigh.

Yeah, the how to is in the EOW plog forum somewhere, check there

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

(stalks threads, waiting for my name to be mentioined, posts pics, basks in glory*

Sigh.

Yeah, the how to is in the EOW plog forum somewhere, check there

:argh: if I didn't love you, I'd hate you!

Seriously though, that poo poo needs to be in the OP.

edit: for anyone who cares:

PaintVagrant posted:

1: basecoat blood red
2: make a watery mix of half brown ink (old style) and blood red, plus water, paint it in the recesses ONLY, let it fill the cracks and stuff
3: cleanup the flat areas with blood red again, covering any of the brown ink mix that got out of the recesses
4: highlight with a mix, 20% 40% 40% blood red, sunburst yellow, and white. make sure the highlights are as thin as possible, otherwise your red will start to look orangey or pinkish
5: stop whining about red and start painting sexy red things like cult of speed or blood angels or saim hann

I tried something a little different:

Click here for the full 827x1000 image.

Click here for the full 729x1000 image.

Click here for the full 675x1000 image.

Still just screwing around with test models I still need to- oh god the mistakes :cry:

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 2, 2010

that ostrich
Jul 18, 2005

Don't worry, I'm a Media Technician Lead. This shit is on LOCKDOWN.
Okay I am not the best painter or modeler, but I'm pretty happy with how these two heads turned out and I just thought I'd share:

I thought Thomas and Guy-Manuel would make good noise marines. I'm just one lash prince away from 2000 points of painted Emperor's Children now!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

You have Daft Punk noise marines.

You... have Daft Punk noise marines.

You.

I like you.

that ostrich
Jul 18, 2005

Don't worry, I'm a Media Technician Lead. This shit is on LOCKDOWN.

Fix posted:

You have Daft Punk noise marines.

You... have Daft Punk noise marines.

You.

I like you.

Thanks, you're quite the looker yourself.

I realized when I would never be able to afford a set of Daft Punk Kubricks that this would be the next best thing.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fix posted:

Check a cooking store. I got cork trivets/hotpads for cheap.

:aaa: This is a BRILLIANT idea.

that ostrich posted:

HARDER FASTER BETTER STRONGER

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

HARDER FASTER BETTER STRONGER

This is an unnervingly apt phrase for Slaanesh :psyduck:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

:aaa: This is a BRILLIANT idea.

The secret to saving hobby money is to realize that you are being charged out the rear end for materials that are readily available in some other part of your life. That anyone would spend money on sheet plasticard is pretty much laughable given how many things we buy are packaged in it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

that ostrich posted:

Okay I am not the best painter or modeler, but I'm pretty happy with how these two heads turned out and I just thought I'd share:

I thought Thomas and Guy-Manuel would make good noise marines. I'm just one lash prince away from 2000 points of painted Emperor's Children now!

You. gently caress you. Those figures are fantastic, the paintjobs simple and glorious, and the conversions hilarious. gently caress you for saying "I am not the best painter or modeler", that's reserved for stuff like my skavenslave or that white scar a few posts back. <:mad:>

edit: I've been painting a ratling gun for like 3 days, I've been doing that "90% water 10% scaly green" super thin mix to add the oxidation to the metal bits, how do I get it to apply better without overwhelming the brass itself? I must have applied like 300 layers of it and it's only barely shown up in the more noticeable areas.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Try a lighter dilution.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: I've been painting a ratling gun for like 3 days, I've been doing that "90% water 10% scaly green" super thin mix to add the oxidation to the metal bits, how do I get it to apply better without overwhelming the brass itself? I must have applied like 300 layers of it and it's only barely shown up in the more noticeable areas.

I've used Vallejo mixing medium + water instead of just water to make a verdigris wash and got a result I liked in three-five layers or so. I also used a little more paint in the mix as well.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Arlaharen posted:

I've used Vallejo mixing medium + water instead of just water to make a verdigris wash and got a result I liked in three-five layers or so. I also used a little more paint in the mix as well.

A cheaper alternative is to get a big rear end bottle of acrylic medium from an art shop. It's the same thing, only instead of 17ml you get 500ml, I use it for everything: 20% acrylic, 30% water and the rest paint.

Added bonus is you can pour it neat onto an old ruined platic palette, let it dry then peel the lot off for a shiny clean palette.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I'm piecing together a Witch Hunters army with an Arbite theme and I need something short but super oppressive to write on the dozer blade of my Repressor. You know like when you walk past a church and they have some sort of slogan implying that you are a lesser being for not believing in God? That x 1000.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR

richyp posted:

A cheaper alternative is to get a big rear end bottle of acrylic medium from an art shop. It's the same thing, only instead of 17ml you get 500ml, I use it for everything: 20% acrylic, 30% water and the rest paint.

Added bonus is you can pour it neat onto an old ruined platic palette, let it dry then peel the lot off for a shiny clean palette.

That's awesome news, I use medium for almost everything except basecoating and burn through a bottle pretty quickly. Thanks for the tip!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Arlaharen posted:

That's awesome news, I use medium for almost everything except basecoating and burn through a bottle pretty quickly. Thanks for the tip!

This is the stuff I bought, but I'm guessing there are cheaper brands out there than W&N: http://www.winsornewton.com/product...ia-matt-medium/

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Only one I found close to me was Liquitex Matte Medium which is ~15 bux for 237 ml which is still hell of a lot cheaper than Vallejo or Game Color. I could wash my entire apartment in verdigris if I wanted to.

Any recommendations on other useful artist supplies I should pick up while I'm there?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
I have realized I enjoy making terrain.

Time to get to work making 4-5 more so I'll finally have a gaming table that doesn't use torn cardboard and coke bottles for terrain.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
So I'm having a problem with my lava bases. They look ok, and I like the cracks I make but I can't seem to get the lava pools just right.

An example is this jerk.

I personally think I'm using too much yellow and not enough reds and oranges. Any tips?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

PierreTheMime posted:

I have realized I enjoy making terrain.

Time to get to work making 4-5 more so I'll finally have a gaming table that doesn't use torn cardboard and coke bottles for terrain.

These are cool but that tin can still looks like a tin can - might have been better to make a plasticard framework around it so you can still see the corrugations but it disguises the shape a little.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Miles O'Brian posted:

I'm piecing together a Witch Hunters army with an Arbite theme and I need something short but super oppressive to write on the dozer blade of my Repressor. You know like when you walk past a church and they have some sort of slogan implying that you are a lesser being for not believing in God? That x 1000.

'PREPARE TO BE JUDGED'
or
'THIS END TOWARD SINNERS'

or just 'REPENT'

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

REPENTIUM AD ABSURDUM

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

NecronSchmecron posted:

So I'm having a problem with my lava bases. They look ok, and I like the cracks I make but I can't seem to get the lava pools just right.

An example is this jerk.

I personally think I'm using too much yellow and not enough reds and oranges. Any tips?

Doesn't lava have chunks of stuff cooling on the surface? perhaps some larger sand pebbles or rock salt or something painted a darker charcoal / black floating in it?

also thin the paints a bit more to get a more even blend between the colours and definitely tone down the white and yellows and bring it back to reds and orange. Try a Baal Red wash over what you have there and see what that does for the brighter colours?

Finally perhaps dry brush or wash a very thin coat of red / orange / yellow on the legs of the marine to give it a glow effect?

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
Thanks a lot, that was very helpful. I don't really want to paint the Ambient light on his legs. That's a little beyond my talents and is a little intimidating, for now. I would like to get the colors right for now. I might experiment with the dried lava in the middle of the pool though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anphrax posted:

:argh: if I didn't love you, I'd hate you!

Seriously though, that poo poo needs to be in the OP.

edit: for anyone who cares:

I tried something a little different:

Click here for the full 827x1000 image.

Click here for the full 729x1000 image.

Click here for the full 675x1000 image.

Still just screwing around with test models I still need to- oh god the mistakes :cry:

Wow man that is a big improvement from your last couple models!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

that ostrich posted:

oonts oonts oonts oonts oonts

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PaintVagrant posted:

pv sends good painting karma via posting

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

PaintVagrant posted:

I think it's because of the "weathering techniques". I'm usually a pretty clean painter but I was trying to go for a messy and ended up with a lovely. Any tips or suggestions? I really like how the red turned out, and the yellow doesn't look nearly so green in person. The white could probably use another light coat I just don't want it to look thick.

Anyway, thanks!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

crime fighting hog posted:

pv sends good painting karma via posting

Not empty quoting

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Anphrax posted:

I think it's because of the "weathering techniques". I'm usually a pretty clean painter but I was trying to go for a messy and ended up with a lovely. Any tips or suggestions? I really like how the red turned out, and the yellow doesn't look nearly so green in person. The white could probably use another light coat I just don't want it to look thick.

Anyway, thanks!

You could probably get away with cleaning up the white a little bit.

If you want to paint grime and dirt it needs to be subtle. You could try using some chalk dust. Grab a stick of brown/gray/whatever from an art store and grind off a little bit of dust. You can apply with a brush (like makeup :sissies:).

You can also work with layering washes. Just wash the areas where you want there to appear to be dirt build up.

You could also combine those methods. Wash an area a few times, making the layers uneven. Once that's try hit it with the chalk dust.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

These are cool but that tin can still looks like a tin can - might have been better to make a plasticard framework around it so you can still see the corrugations but it disguises the shape a little.

This. Take a goosey ganders in the apocalypse rulebook for a pretty neat way of turning a tin can into something that doesn't look like a tin can. I did my own variation on it and built it into a 'hill' of sorts but I can't take a pic because I'm not at home until tomorrow :(

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Anphrax posted:

Anyway, thanks!

There are really two ways to do weathering/grime. One way is to shade with a dirt color, like a rusty orange/brown etc. The other way is to do paint damage/chipping on the edges. This is done sort of in the reverse of the first way, by applying (with a sponge) a dark color to the edges. Sort of like this:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

crime fighting hog posted:

oonts oonts oonts oonts oonts

Destroy the world.
Destroy the world.
Destroy the world.
Destroy the world.
be-doop-doop-doop-doop-dop-doop-doop-de-doop
be-doop-doop-doop-doop-dop-doop-doop-de-doop

[Repeat until Chaos is victorious]

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yo PV can you add this to the op somewhere? Lot of questions about snow bases lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Fyrbrand posted:

Yo PV can you add this to the op somewhere? Lot of questions about snow bases lately.

added

• Locked thread