Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I am starting this tonight! I heard it mentioned that this show contains convoluted political backstabbery on par with or exceeding that of Frank Herbert's Dune and boy am I ever in need of political backstabbery in my anime. Onwards I go, comrades! Let's hope I meet you all in the end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimProfitAnon
Feb 16, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

I am starting this tonight! I heard it mentioned that this show contains convoluted political backstabbery on par with or exceeding that of Frank Herbert's Dune and boy am I ever in need of political backstabbery in my anime. Onwards I go, comrades! Let's hope I meet you all in the end!

I would not go so far as to say it is up to the level of Dune, but it is indeed a very good anime. I think you will enjoy it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'd say it's better than Dune's, since Dune's is inherently affected by WHY YES WE HAVE PSYCHIC POWERS which kind of lames up the stuff.

JimProfitAnon
Feb 16, 2010
To each his own.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dune is kind of screwed by the psychic powers taking the forefront and then each descendant of paul needing to be better than the last. It's got some real good political action but as far as a really fleshed out and realized universe Galactic heroes is far and beyond much better.

Not to mention, but as far as I know kevin J anderson hasn't even heard of LoGH.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
KIRCHEIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was not expecting that to happen for at least 50 more episodes, now I'm really interested in how this will go.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Saw the first episode. Pretty good, but a tad confusing with everything being introduced and all. Looking forward to the next one! I wanna see how this battle resolves!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

Saw the first episode. Pretty good, but a tad confusing with everything being introduced and all. Looking forward to the next one! I wanna see how this battle resolves!

Don't worry, each major character will have a title graphic at the bottom so you don't forget who's who.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
And even if you don't remember all of their names, they have really distinct faces :)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DrSunshine posted:

Don't forget to watch the first movie, which is the "true" first episode.

And the second movie which was recently subbed can replace the first two TV episodes as well.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
When I first finished the series a few years ago I could probably rattle off 30 character names and at least a vague description of their role in the story. Of course that's more a testament to the quality of the narrative than my memorization skills.

And man, now with the second movie out we're getting close to all the LoGH content seeing translation, this is gonna be awesome:

1 Valley of White Silver #1-4 (side stories series episodes 1-4) check
2 Morning's Dream, Night's Song #1-4 (5-8) check
3 Disgrace #1-4 (9-12) check
4 A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights #1-12 (13-24) check
5 Spiral Labyrinth #1-14 (25-38) check
6 Mutineer #1-4 (39-42) check
7 Those Who Duel #1-4 (43-46) check
8 Those Who Recapture #1-4 (47-50) c'mon c'mon do it
9 The Third Tiamat Battle #1-2 (51-52) c'mon c'mon do it

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Don't forget to watch the first movie, which is the "true" first episode.

Wait, so I was supposed to watch the movie first? Ohh dearie. Wellp, I sure am I glad I downloaded the ADTRW sample platter!

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

As someone who hasn't yet seen any of the movies/side episodes, you'll be fine without it. It's probably a better introduction but if you've already started it's not like it's critically important.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I really need to check out some of the LoGH stuff thats outside the main series like the Gaidens. I imagine they are pretty awesome too? Whats the gist of them, which should I start with, etc? On a side note I find if you want o introduce people to the show, the first movie is a great introduction.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

The first Gaiden is A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights. The second is Spiral Labyrinth. The former focuses mostly on early Reinhard, and the latter is more an even split with Yang.

The movies are Overture to a New War (remake of the first 2 episodes), and My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (the pilot, taking place right before the series). There is another movie, Golden Wings, focusing on young Reinhard, but CA hasn't subbed it yet, and it loses the look of the rest of the series, so, yeah.

The movies can be watched in any order. For the Gaidens, start with AHBSAHBL (the worst acronym), then go to Spiral Labyrinth.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

potatoboat posted:

There is another movie, Golden Wings, focusing on young Reinhard, but CA hasn't subbed it yet, and it loses the look of the rest of the series, so, yeah.

That's not all it loses. It's pretty awful all around. If CA never subs it, the world will be a better place for it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, so I was supposed to watch the movie first? Ohh dearie. Wellp, I sure am I glad I downloaded the ADTRW sample platter!
Since it was subbed after the series, and CA of course doesn't include it in their initial batch of episodes, a lot of people didn't see it first either...most of us in this very thread I'd wager. However, it was released before the first episode of the series, and offers a better introduction for Yang and Reinhard. But missing it your first time through isn't the end of the world or anything.

So the ideal way to watch LOGH in my opinion is:

Movie 1
Movie 2
Main series episodes 3-110
Gaidens

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I feel I should post this here in case people didn't see the post in Games about it, but the LoGH mod for Sins of a Solar Empire has entered beta testing.

It's available here and is quite good from what I've played of it. However, I'd advise going to the mod team's forum and getting the patch otherwise it has problems with crashes possibly caused by a memory leak.

It has a nice system of each ship built coming with 6-20 free additional ships in formation with it, and you can get a combination of generic admirals in unnamed battleships and carriers, or the big names from the show bought through research at your home planet. The AI names are also randomised from the show - last time I played the AFP AI player was called Dusty Attenborough (I ultimately lost after Reinhard got killed by a no-name Alliance officer and then they rolled all the way up to my home planet.)

What's also cool about it is that the Empire ships have German voice acting and names, while the Alliance ones are in English.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Bob Smith posted:

I feel I should post this here in case people didn't see the post in Games about it, but the LoGH mod for Sins of a Solar Empire has entered beta testing.

It's available here and is quite good from what I've played of it. However, I'd advise going to the mod team's forum and getting the patch otherwise it has problems with crashes possibly caused by a memory leak.

It has a nice system of each ship built coming with 6-20 free additional ships in formation with it, and you can get a combination of generic admirals in unnamed battleships and carriers, or the big names from the show bought through research at your home planet. The AI names are also randomised from the show - last time I played the AFP AI player was called Dusty Attenborough (I ultimately lost after Reinhard got killed by a no-name Alliance officer and then they rolled all the way up to my home planet.)

What's also cool about it is that the Empire ships have German voice acting and names, while the Alliance ones are in English.

Welcome to one page ago buddy, but yeah its cool, and if you have Sins of a Solar Empire you should pick it up.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Welcome to one page ago buddy, but yeah its cool, and if you have Sins of a Solar Empire you should pick it up.

drat, I didn't realise!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Honest Ray posted:

I really need to check out some of the LoGH stuff thats outside the main series like the Gaidens. I imagine they are pretty awesome too? Whats the gist of them, which should I start with, etc?

The gaidens are definitely worth seeing after the main series. They're numbered in a confusing way, but basically it's two season's worth of episodes. The first dealing with Reinhard before we see him in the first ep of the main series, the second season is the same thing for Yang. You can see how each individual gaiden is split up in my post earlier on this page, with 1-4 being season one and 5-9 season two.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
so I'm about halfway through the main series and it's really fantastic. While it has no fancy animation of the last decade, it has an amazing plot. I'm also surprised by how violent some of the imagery is(like people holding their guts in, decapitated corpses, and brains leaking out of people's heads) since it has the feeling of a space opera.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I'm also about halfway through, and I was not only surprised but a little disappointed by the spats of ultraviolence. It was mostly one episode that was guilty where they showed people inside the ships as they were exploding, but before then it had been tastefully restricted to getting shot/axed with appropriate levels of blood. It's not that I'm sensitive to this or anything, but it really stands out among the rest of the show as if it doesn't belong.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Swilo posted:

I'm also about halfway through, and I was not only surprised but a little disappointed by the spats of ultraviolence. It was mostly one episode that was guilty where they showed people inside the ships as they were exploding, but before then it had been tastefully restricted to getting shot/axed with appropriate levels of blood. It's not that I'm sensitive to this or anything, but it really stands out among the rest of the show as if it doesn't belong.

Every time they show gore it has a thematic point. The entire point of that scene was to show the senseless violence the war causes. War is violent, it costs lives. LOGH looks at things always from the perspective of the commander moving troops, moving numbers. Reinhard almost carelessly blows men's lives away, but each of those men are people, they have families, they have loves, they have lives.

It's not gore-pandering, it's not meant to be shocking you out SAW like, it's supposed to make you think about holy poo poo there are people dying; Yang was reflecting on the fact that it was hypocritical of him to seek personal happiness when he marches millions of people to their deaths consistently, tantamount in his mind to genocide on people who have faith on him. He carries that burden only because he thinks it will save more lives, he thinks. But he's still the one responsible.

The fact that such a cruel scene is included actually emphasizes the sheer amount of thought that is involved int he series' production; it has a measured, important point. It wasn't excessive, it was just right to make the situation clear.

The same is true of other really gory scenes, generally speaking.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I get the point, but it really seemed to needlessly smack you in the face with it when the rest of the show doesn't. There were some guys being locked out by a bulkhead who got blown up, others staggering around and falling, a missing limb or two, this all fit fine. But then there was the guy pulling his guts in without anything nearby that would have caused such an injury, and another who crawled in from off frame looking like he was simply mortally wounded until you see everything below the waist is missing; I think these were excessive.

It's not like there's nothing to keep the theme going outside of space battles either. Quite a bit of brains in the small scale gunfights, and one shot of a guy stepping into a pool of blood where his subordinate's head should have been without even flinching.

It's just my opinion, but I hope there isn't much more of that coming up.

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

Honestly the rarity with which very gory scenes occurred made me think it was more of an attempt at a realistic portrayal of violence than gore-pandering.

For example, if LoGH was a gore pandering show then all the hand-to-hand combat sequences wouldn't have just shown sprays of blood.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I got my mom to watch this and she's enjoying it. Compared to other shows like Gundam, she has to pause a lot more because of harder words (English is not her first language) but hey, I'm happy that I got someone interested in LoGH.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Holy poo poo this show has balls, 82: I never expected this to happen. They killed him off, how the hell are they going to continue? Such a terrible way to die, too.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Swilo posted:

Holy poo poo this show has balls, 82: I never expected this to happen. They killed him off, how the hell are they going to continue? Such a terrible way to die, too.

The next episode is worse, trust us.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
83 and 84 weren't surprising, just realistically sad :confused:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Swilo posted:

83 and 84 weren't surprising, just realistically sad :confused:

I meant in terms of sadness/ dangness.

82 wasn't that surprising imo since they foreshadowed it pretty drat hard for episodes before hand, especially goddamn narrator.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
They foreshadowed that either Yang or Julian would die but I guess I fell into the trap Mrs Yang did about thinking he would never die. Now I'm all antsy about whether Mittermeyer or Reuental will bite it next since they've also had their last meeting according to the narrator :mad:

Show is still really awesome, and the gore factor has been back to normal since that one episode I mentioned. Gonna be sad when I finish it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Swilo posted:

They foreshadowed that either Yang or Julian would die but I guess I fell into the trap Mrs Yang did about thinking he would never die. Now I'm all antsy about whether Mittermeyer or Reuental will bite it next since they've also had their last meeting according to the narrator :mad:

Show is still really awesome, and the gore factor has been back to normal since that one episode I mentioned. Gonna be sad when I finish it.

Well yeah, that ep (50 or 52 or whatever) isn't like "Okay bitches time to get xxxxtreme!" It's to detail something we hadn't really been exposed to in the series, which is of course how all those people on those ships actually die. It's not just "poof" smoke, and then nice quiet painless death. It's basically the worst thing ever and you should know that both yang and reinhard do that to thousands of people almost every episode :psyduck:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Zorak posted:

I meant in terms of sadness/ dangness.

82 wasn't that surprising imo since they foreshadowed it pretty drat hard for episodes before hand, especially goddamn narrator.

Admittedly, though, I personally didn't want to believe it. Like you knew it was a possibility and you knew it was coming, but at the same time you still didn't want it to be true. Then it happens and you're devastated. And then they show the aftermath...

Yeah, 83 was a harsh episode.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.

Zorak posted:

Every time they show gore it has a thematic point. The entire point of that scene was to show the senseless violence the war causes. War is violent, it costs lives. LOGH looks at things always from the perspective of the commander moving troops, moving numbers. Reinhard almost carelessly blows men's lives away, but each of those men are people, they have families, they have loves, they have lives.

It's not gore-pandering, it's not meant to be shocking you out SAW like, it's supposed to make you think about holy poo poo there are people dying; Yang was reflecting on the fact that it was hypocritical of him to seek personal happiness when he marches millions of people to their deaths consistently, tantamount in his mind to genocide on people who have faith on him. He carries that burden only because he thinks it will save more lives, he thinks. But he's still the one responsible.

The fact that such a cruel scene is included actually emphasizes the sheer amount of thought that is involved int he series' production; it has a measured, important point. It wasn't excessive, it was just right to make the situation clear.

The same is true of other really gory scenes, generally speaking.

Yeah, I would agree that this was the point of that episode, but it does kind of weirdly jar with the rest of the series. I mean, is the viewer supposed to go "Yeah, the plot of the series is just petty power struggles that cost millions of lives. Now let's watch 58 more episodes of those power struggles."

I'm 64 episodes in, and it seems like there's some leftist junior director struggling against the generally conservative tone of the series. 51, that episode on the rural border planet, and the history of Earth episode all seem to have this kind of divergent message from the rest of LoGH.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Food Court Druid posted:

Yeah, I would agree that this was the point of that episode, but it does kind of weirdly jar with the rest of the series. I mean, is the viewer supposed to go "Yeah, the plot of the series is just petty power struggles that cost millions of lives. Now let's watch 58 more episodes of those power struggles."

I'm 64 episodes in, and it seems like there's some leftist junior director struggling against the generally conservative tone of the series. 51, that episode on the rural border planet, and the history of Earth episode all seem to have this kind of divergent message from the rest of LoGH.

It's not so much fighting the tone so much as drawing back the perspective. The focus is on the protagonists, but ultimately you have to keep perspective that this war is more than just them. It's not something that should be waged for personal squabbles. Yang only fights because he thinks it's his duty to his nation and to democracy to keep on fighting.

Honestly, trying to attribute liberalism and conservatism to the series is kind of stupid, since the series goes all over the board with this stuff. Hell, Reinhard is a liberal reformist who is ultimately a dictator and supports a dictatorial system.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Food Court Druid posted:

Earth history episode and kaiser history episode are some of my favorite. It underlines the historical tone of the series and beyond that are really cool and interesting. Fleshing out sci fi series in a believable way always gets my support.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
The narrator certainly doesn't fail to remind us how war is hell and tactitians are awful and irredeemable people at what feels like the start and end of every battle. He's right though, and that's why the explicit gore in that one episode didn't feel out of place to me, just really disturbing and made me question whether the battles being fought were really worth this immense human cost.

That's why Oberstein is my favourite character, because he's one of the few characters that truly takes this question seriously and actively looks for alternate routes, though his methods may appear ghastly and unthinkable.

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

But Oberstein also causes millions of deaths to achieve his goals, just like Yang and Reinhardt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dire Penguin posted:

But Oberstein also causes millions of deaths to achieve his goals, just like Yang and Reinhardt?

Yes, but he looks at it in terms of how to resolve a battle or conflict with the least loss of life. He isn't "honorable", but he is unlike the others a realist.

Reinhard would rather beat armies against each other for long as possible so long as it results in his glorious victory. Oberstein looks at it from a purely statistical standpoint, which is perhaps inhuman, but at the same time he's probably causing more people to survive overall.

Even letting the nuke to hit, and bringing innocents into the situation, he was saving a net number of lives and ending a war that could have possibly have killed many times that many innocents.

Of course, his motivations behind this is up in the air. If you think favorably of him, you can look at him as just being the ultimate definition of a realist who essentially fills the position of douchebag because someone has to. He strengthens the Empire under Reinhard because he recognizes it as the most stable form of government available, and has the potential to end the war and save lives... or so the thought is.