Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

bhsman posted:

This is just about the greatest thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

All dark elves should be on snow bases because thats what mine have :colbert:

I'm doing (awful) snow bases for my blood angels, so I don't want to repeat.

I'm going with Valhalla. Beyond the bases themselves the movement tray edges look pretty cool so that's nice.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ughh snow bases used to be edgy and cool. Now they're so...pedestrian. Time to change all my bases. :smug:

j/k obviously, snow bases own, 4:20 base in snow every day

A Powerful Cream
Jun 25, 2009

get ready to read some badposts b*tch!! - fdr to hitler, 1972

Fyrbrand posted:

j/k obviously, snow bases own, 4:20 base in snow every day

:respek:

Even though I've based literally one mini so far.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Dale-Taco posted:

This is just about the greatest thing.

I believe it won golden daemon for 2007? I remember seeing it in White Dwarf right when I got into the hobby and I came thiiiiiis close to starting Dark Angels.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
PaintVagrant your basing kits own almost as much as my warham photo skills blow

I think tomorrow I'm gonna bust out the heavy duty poo poo and try getting some photos that don't turn out like total poo poo.

EDIT: Jesus gently caress, I almost regret posting that loving thing. That is really not a good photograph, yet it is somehow the best one I got.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I've remembered what it is that I hate about metal models.

godamn mold lines

more specifically...

removing godamn mold lines from metal models :orks:

beginning to regret my march oath of 5 wraithguard but meh, needs must and all that.. better get used to it given that a good chunk of the eldar range is still metal :(

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I so prefer removing mold lines on metal models to plastic ones. I'm always shaving away too much on the plastic, and that's hard to do with the metal.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
My problem is the one mold line/bit of flash that you always overlook until you finish priming, then there it is, staring up at you from the middle of your loving model, mocking you.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
What do y'all think about "limited edition" models?

Back in the Rackham metal days I used to hate that there were miniatures that I probably couldn't get my hands on due to limited numbers, but now that I've been able to get a few, I am a little scared.

Do I paint these things up? Do I leave them in original packaging? What if I do paint them up and they look like rear end? Will the other 299 people who own the same piece laugh at me?

I know it comes down to "do what you want: it's your mini!" but I guess I just want to hear thoughts on this.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Do what you want, it's your mini.

Also, stop fearing nerds.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I dislike not being able to get a super cool miniature because it was only sold at event X or on day Y.

Trying to create a market for tiny little men to forever be kept in their blisters is stupid. They're there to be painted, and with that in mind everyone should be able to paint one.

At the least they should make them available after a year or two.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Just break that bad boy out of his blister and be done with it

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
I will paint these things up. I will fear no nerds!

"I dislike not being able to get a super cool miniature because it was only sold at event X or on day Y"

- I have bought mini's in the past that were a little pricey because they were exclusive ones, only to have the same ones released a little later on at regular price :(

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have a handful of WoC limited models like Archaon on foot and the Chaos Battle Standard guy, but the one I really want is the Wolfpriest. It's probably one of the coolest LEs out there.

Oh, and while I'm sure it's nothing impressive to the English Warhams, but I also have the Bugman's Brewery exclusive Bugman on barrels who kicks a lot of rear end.

I fully intend to paint them all, one day. Archaon is the closest to being actually finished.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Doombull incoming:

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 21, 2014

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Skarsnik posted:

Doombull incoming:

Click here for the full 720x692 image.

You know, for a roided up cow, that looks sweet.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Seconding, that's a very sweet paint job on a pretty awesome model.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

What do yall think of the P3 paints? I'm about to start painting some warmachine minis, and I've always used GW paints before, and I'm thinking about jumping brands. I've heard lots of good things about Vallejo model series, but my brother and a good friend of his (who is a pretty badass painter) use P3. Was curious to have some of your input about this. I'm half tempted to just stick with GW because I can find it locally, and it's what I know/am comfortable with. I do hate the paint pots and love the droppers though.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Korwen posted:

What do yall think of the P3 paints? I'm about to start painting some warmachine minis, and I've always used GW paints before, and I'm thinking about jumping brands. I've heard lots of good things about Vallejo model series, but my brother and a good friend of his (who is a pretty badass painter) use P3. Was curious to have some of your input about this. I'm half tempted to just stick with GW because I can find it locally, and it's what I know/am comfortable with. I do hate the paint pots and love the droppers though.

P3 have their uses, I use a handful, the first to spring to mind are battlefield brown and the two menoth whites (base & highlight) but they only tend to get used painting bases, not overly fond of them for painting minis themselves.

Prefer Vallejo and citadel foundations for that job.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

ANAmal.net posted:

I think tomorrow I'm gonna bust out the heavy duty poo poo and try getting some photos that don't turn out like total poo poo.

EDIT: Jesus gently caress, I almost regret posting that loving thing. That is really not a good photograph, yet it is somehow the best one I got.

Nice man, is that the static or turf?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Korwen posted:

I use mostly p3. Its good stuff.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

ANAmal.net posted:

How are you taking your pictures? That picture isn't really out of focus as such, you just have a very narrow depth of field so that only a small slice of it is actually in the focal range. I'm guessing that you're using a low f-stop on your camera or possibly a the Flower/Close up mode? That helps with getting enough light in but it makes it really hard to get the whole miniature in focus.

The best way to get a picture is really to use a tripod. If you have enough control over your camera, set it to a high f-stop to increase your depth of field. This will also push the shutter speed way down, which is why you need to mount it on a tripod so that you can use as long an exposure as you need. If you don't have actual f-stop control, maybe you can set it to the 'Mountain/Landscape', which should push for a high stop and better depth of field.

You may need to push the camera to overexpose a bit, too, judging by the shadows. Sometimes a camera will meter based on the white background and underexpose the actual model - if you can adjust the focus/meter framing to work from the model that would help, too.

Disclaimer: I don't actually do any of the stuff above because my painting is bad and good pictures make me hate my work, but technically it should help.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Hey, where's a good place to buy a bunch of regular and 40mm bases on the cheap?

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

PaintVagrant posted:

Nice man, is that the static or turf?

Static, though admittedly I rushed through that one, in complete disregard of the tips sheet you included in the box, because I really badly wanted to see how it looked. I think the glue underneath was still wet when I was doing the drybrushing, and I slopped way too much on there when I was trying to get the grass to stand up. Considering this is the first model I've actually based, I'm OK with the results, but when I do the rest of the squad tonight I'm intending to half-rear end it a lot less.

Enormous line-by-line quote breakdown of Ashcans's post incoming. Sorry for the long quotetrain, but I thought it was a v. good post and I wanted to give it the reply it deserved. :unsmith: Thanks for the tips, man.

Ashcans posted:

How are you taking your pictures? That picture isn't really out of focus as such, you just have a very narrow depth of field so that only a small slice of it is actually in the focal range. I'm guessing that you're using a low f-stop on your camera or possibly a the Flower/Close up mode? That helps with getting enough light in but it makes it really hard to get the whole miniature in focus.

That one was at f/6.3, 200mm, I think ISO400, with image stabilization on, hand-held, from the other side of the room.

Getting enough light is always a problem in that room (this was at night, so no natural light), so I gave the 70-200 VR lens a shot - the hope was that the VR would hold the thing still long enough to let me shoot slow and still get decent shots. Unfortunately I still had it too open (f/6.3 isn't enough), and on top of that, I forgot that long focal lengths just poo poo all over depth of field. I took the oath complete shots at I think f/8 or f/11, which I think I'm going to stick with, because those looked a bit better.

I went with the long lens as an experiment because none of the glass I have can get close enough to fill the frame with an inch-high model without being well inside the minimum focusing distance of the lens. I actually think it sort of worked in that regard, though there are still other problems.

Well, that's not entirely true, the 50mm 1.8 can do it, but the DoF on that...

Ashcans posted:

The best way to get a picture is really to use a tripod. If you have enough control over your camera, set it to a high f-stop to increase your depth of field.

Yeah, I've come to realize, albeit far too slowly, that hand-holding with available light is never going to work. Next up is trying a tripod or a speedlight with a diffuser. I have both a good tripod and an SB600, so I think some combination of the two will let me light these loving models up brighter than the surface of the sun.

Ashcans posted:

This will also push the shutter speed way down, which is why you need to mount it on a tripod so that you can use as long an exposure as you need.

Exactly. I need either more light (to shoot fast) or a tripod (to shoot slow). I have both, I'm just not using them, because I'm probably a retard.

Ashcans posted:

If you don't have actual f-stop control, maybe you can set it to the 'Mountain/Landscape', which should push for a high stop and better depth of field.

Part of the reason my situation is slightly embarrassing is because I actually have a decent SLR and I'm shooting in full manual. I promise I'm not this bad at shooting larger objects, but god help me I cannot take pictures of these tiny loving things to save my life.

Ashcans posted:

You may need to push the camera to overexpose a bit, too, judging by the shadows. Sometimes a camera will meter based on the white background and underexpose the actual model - if you can adjust the focus/meter framing to work from the model that would help, too.

I've noticed it doing this, yeah, and I usually overexpose a couple of stops, going by the built-in lightmeter.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 4, 2010

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

All the expensive camera equipment in the world is worth gently caress all without proper lighting. If you can see any sort of real shadow in the pic, youre lighting rig doesnt have enough lights. I use one above, and one on each side, and I use (probably too strong) 100w style halogen daylight bulbs.

If I was buying the rig again, Id drop the wattage but still use the 3 daylights

e:

and follow the directions in the kit for maximum static grass "standuppery"

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Photography derail! :toot:

ANAmal.net posted:

That one was at f/6.3, 200mm, I think ISO400, with image stabilization on, hand-held, from the other side of the room.

Getting enough light is always a problem in that room (this was at night, so no natural light), so I gave the 70-200 VR lens a shot - the hope was that the VR would hold the thing still long enough to let me shoot slow and still get decent shots. Unfortunately I still had it too open (f/6.3 isn't enough), and on top of that, I forgot that long focal lengths just poo poo all over depth of field. I took the oath complete shots at I think f/8 or f/11, which I think I'm going to stick with, because those looked a bit better.
I wouldn't have thought to use a zoom for miniatures (I shoot with my standard 28-80), but it's not a bad idea. I think it would probably work out alright with a higher stop, I used to use a 200mm to take pictures of insects and stuff, when the problem was as much getting close to something without spooking it. I think the real issue is the f/6.3, f/11 is good but I actually try to take miniatures at f/16 or higher (although that can be hard lightwise even with stabilization, especially if you're shooting at night using whatever lighting you have).

quote:

I went with the long lens as an experiment because none of the glass I have can get close enough to fill the frame with an inch-high model without being well inside the minimum focusing distance of the lens. I actually think it sort of worked in that regard, though there are still other problems.
Something else I do that you might want to consider is punch up the picture size/quality really high. If you are taking pictures at your best quality and highest resolution (I think mine is 4000x3000 or something close) then you can take them with the model only being a quarter of the frame and crop it down to a decent 800x600 image. Unless you need really high res pictures for something, that should really be fine for posting online, etc.

quote:

Part of the reason my situation is slightly embarrassing is because I actually have a decent SLR and I'm shooting in full manual. I promise I'm not this bad at shooting larger objects, but god help me I cannot take pictures of these tiny loving things to save my life.
Taking pictures of miniatures and other small-detail stuff is pretty different, partly because the depth of field fucks with you a lot more and also because (unless you're using dedicated equipment) you start getting into the complications of minimum focal length and so on. I also use a SLR and honestly sometimes the amount of control you get doesn't provide any help at all. Rather than full manual I usually set it to aperture priority and maybe +0.7ev and let the camera take care of the rest.

I can't provide any help on the diffuser, I have the SB400 flash but I don't have a diffuser and get minimal use out of it. The biggest difference is really just going to be in bothering to get your setup right with the lightbox, tripod, etc. Like I said, this is something that I never actually do because its a pain in the rear end, but its probably the easiest fix. If you have other stuff painted, getting set up and taking a whole bunch of pictures makes it seem like less of a hassle/waste of time.

Edit: PV is right, equipment can only do so much to compensate for lovely conditions. If your lighting is just bad it can help, but getting good lighting in will make it much easier to sort out the DoF problems as well.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

fffff it turns out that cork noticeboards are actually the thinnest possible layer of cork over a core of corrugated cardboard.

Oh well, just ordered a sampler of cork tiles from ebay.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

All I know about my DSLR is that when I take a picture and it starts making all sorts of grouchy gronk noises as it adjusts, I know I hosed up the f-stops or the lighting is bad

I shoot in full manual using my lightbox, manually white balance it before shooting, and then shoot at +.7, or 1.0.

I then photoshop, and usually lower the brightness by about 10 and raise the saturation by about 10. Daylight bulbs are color correct, but I cant seem to get enough light without killing the colors a bit, so a saturation adjustment is usually needed :\

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Anyone thinking of switching away from GW paints should note that no-one on the planet makes a paintpot as loving poo poo as GW, also, P3 & Vajello both make pretty drat good paints, and if you can't find them cheaper than GW I'll be amazed.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hey, be glad that GW gave up those hex screw-cap pots, those were even worse. I have hex flip-tops from 1995 that still hold paint, but all my screw-tops dried up in months. loving things.

How are the metallics for P3? I have pretty much only bought Vallejo paint recently (except for GW washes) but I wasn't really taken by their metallics.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Anyone thinking of switching away from GW paints should note that no-one on the planet makes a paintpot as loving poo poo as GW, also, P3 & Vajello both make pretty drat good paints, and if you can't find them cheaper than GW I'll be amazed.

p3 just got a price increase, but is still cheaper than GW afaik. The only problem with their pots is that the paint can build up around hte edge, making them hard to close, which can lead to that little tab thing that holds the top on to break. Which sucks.

So clean your pot lids and youll be fine

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Ashcans posted:

How are the metallics for P3? I have pretty much only bought Vallejo paint recently (except for GW washes) but I wasn't really taken by their metallics.

P3 metallics are pretty hard to come by, they had such batch consistency issues that they recalled them all a couple months back.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah, their silver colors are fine, but all their golds/brass/etc are garbage. So are GW's though, the problem is that the pigments are too expensive so they water them down and then they dont cover for poo poo.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

PaintVagrant posted:

Yeah, their silver colors are fine, but all their golds/brass/etc are garbage. So are GW's though, the problem is that the pigments are too expensive so they water them down and then they dont cover for poo poo.

Which is why pros use silvers washed with brown/sepia to do bronze/gold.

Or so I've heard.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I pretty much try to avoid watering down metallics if I can help it- the gold/brassy ones at least.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

fukkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Best silver I've ever used is a pot of 'Inscribe' lovely water-reducible craft paint, cost me 99p like 3 years ago. Dropper top, I've thinned it almost down to a wash & it doesn't clump. I'll be pissed when I finish this pot but it's 60ml, so should last me another 5 yrs at present rate :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ive started to mix GW gold and mithril silver together, and use that as a basecoat, then sepia wash it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PaintVagrant posted:

fukkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

PV has a tentaclecable-rape fetish :twisted:

• Locked thread