Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Why do all the good ska bands not make it, or turn really lovely, or drop their horns, and the lovely ones do ok?

I still have my lovely VHS of the slapstick reunion show. At least we got The Lawrence Arms out of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!

aricoarena posted:

Why do all the good ska bands not make it, or turn really lovely, or drop their horns, and the lovely ones do ok?

I still have my lovely VHS of the slapstick reunion show. At least we got The Lawrence Arms out of them.
Yes and Tuesday and the Broadways and the Falcon and the Alkaline Trio.

I actually listened to the Slapstick anthology for the first time in almost a decade and it really isn't anything to rave about. I get why Kelly got tired of playing in it.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
The High School Football Heroes reunion show just sent out an update:

quote:

Hello Everyone!

Just a quick update, we're gonna have presale tickest on sale this friday at 10:00 am at http://eastcoastcollectiveli.bigcartel.com

also, the opening bands are going to be Terence Marciano Band, Hardcore Karaoke Pile-on Extravaganza, Sonic Boom Six, The Forthrights, Los Bungalitos, Barnaby Jones, Royal City Riot + 2 more TBA!

- Sam Gursky

Looks like it's going to be a pretty fun show.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streetlight_manifesto#99_Songs_of_Revolution

quote:

99 Songs of Revolution will consist of two hundred full-length CDs by Streetlight Manifesto, and no full-length CDs by the Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution. In addition, forty other albums will be performed; two CDs each by two other Streetlight-related artists. Volume No. 1 of the new album is never to be released to the public for if it is, minds will be blown.

Which one of you did this? :colbert:

Also calling it now: One of the two unnamed bands for 99SOR will be Catch 22 WHOOPS NEVERMIND I'M TOTALLY LATE ON CALLING THIS

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 2, 2010

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Way to call that like way the hell after everyone else

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I love that they sited references for that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

aricoarena posted:

I love that they sited references for that.

They cited the interpunk and victory pages, let's not get carried away

Speaking of which, I check my email every day to see if interpunk shipped it yet

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
I just liked how in their fake edit they did the work of including citations as though it was real.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
e: nvm

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
There's clips up of the Streetlight album on Amazon. It sounds good.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
nobody ever plays the part of Punk Rock Girl I want to hear. Where's the solo? Play me that solo on a drat trombone already

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

See, now this sounds more like what I was expecting. I'm glad that those leaked demos were spruced up nice for release.

This is Unsavory
Feb 14, 2009
Streetlight just posted a (mostly) full preview of "Hell" on YouTube. The song starts around 1:43.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUQ5b8_BnKI

I've been anxious to finally hear this one, but I don't think it's one of my favorites out of what I've heard. Still, not too bad, though.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

Syphilicious! posted:

There's clips up of the Streetlight album on Amazon. It sounds good.
Where is this? I can't seem to pull up samples for the album and am not noticing any links to it.

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

EatinCake posted:

Where is this? I can't seem to pull up samples for the album and am not noticing any links to it.

http://www.amazon.com/99-Songs-of-Revolution/dp/B003ALDXUK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1267714099&sr=8-3

Little black play buttons next to the songs.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why would they skip the solo in Punk Rock Girl? It's one of my favorite solos just for how sloppy it is.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Also, I don't think it used to be there, but Amazon MP3 now has the five-track Bandits of the Acoustic Revolution - A Call To Arms for sale.

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
anyone who pays for the BOTAR EP and doesn't get a handmade CD case is a sucker :smug:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Why would they skip the solo in Punk Rock Girl? It's one of my favorite solos just for how sloppy it is.

No no I mean none of the clips will play that solo. That's the only part of the song I care about hearing

Well I mean care about more than that cover, belting that song is my favorite way to stay awake when my store is empty at 4 AM

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's my mistake for thinking that's when the solo occurs. It actually comes right after that clip ends.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
From the Hell youtube video's info:

quote:

the record, the first in a series of cover records by a few different groups, is called "99 songs of revolution". volume 1, by streetlight manifesto, comes out on march 16th, 2010.

They're all going to be cover records. Assuming it takes 2 years for each album (since it took 2 years from SITB to Vol. 1) we should hear some completely new Streetlight material in roughly eight years.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CodfishCartographer posted:

From the Hell youtube video's info:

They're all going to be cover records. Assuming it takes 2 years for each album (since it took 2 years from SITB to Vol. 1) we should hear some completely new Streetlight material in roughly eight years.

Two are by Streetlight, 2 are by BOTAR, and the others are by as-yet-unnamed bands, this is not a secret, neither is the fact that they're all cover albums

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sugar Blaster posted:

anyone who pays for the BOTAR EP and doesn't get a handmade CD case is a sucker :smug:
I didn't know that was an option, and I love poo poo like that, but realistically I've come to learn that I need less clutter in my life, so I'm sort of okay with missing out.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Anyone have any suggestions for a fan of ska like Desmond Dekker, or The Skatalites?

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a fan of ska like Desmond Dekker, or The Skatalites?

Some early ska artists from roughly the same period are The Rico Rodriguez All-Stars, Toots & The Maytals, and Justin Hinds & The Dominoes. The solo work of the founding members of The Skatalites (especially Don Drummond, Rolando Alphonso and Tommy McCook) is also worth checking out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

I didn't know that was an option, and I love poo poo like that, but realistically I've come to learn that I need less clutter in my life, so I'm sort of okay with missing out.

It's not an option anymore. When the EP first came out, it came in a handmade case made out of like cardboard and tape and velcro and poo poo.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

heh, 99SOR is going to come out before the FIF dvd isn't it?

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007
The full version of "Hell" is linked to from Streetlight Manifesto's website; it's up on the Pentimento website as well. It's pretty sweet, now that you can hear the ending and all.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
And Me And Julio got released as a downloadable single on Amazon which means it's probably floating around for free somewhere if you're desperate

It's pretty fun by the way

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Holy poo poo

quote:

03.11.2010 | DO NOT SUPPORT VICTORY RECORDS
Hello there. Just a quick note from us:
If you want to support Streetlight Manifesto by buying a CD, shirt, hoodie, poster, etc etc, PLEASE do not buy anything from Victory Records or their website. Use our online store or come out to a show and support the band by buying merch there. We cannot condone or agree with the actions or ethics of our record label, nor do we want to support them financially through revenue made under the guise of helping Streetlight. Hey douchebag lawyers: This is not libel or slander. We're just letting our fans know how best to support the band if they should choose to do so by buying stuff. That is all.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that just a general "bands make all their money off of shows and merch" statement, or has Victory wronged them in some way?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Bands do make money off their shows and merch, but that should include merch sold through their record label's website. Victory is semi-notirious for being terrible to bands from what I've heard, so they're just trying to get their fans to not give Victory any more money than they have to.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Should I not be buying the new album through Amazon MP3 then? Because that's what I was planning to do.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
From what I understand, 99SOR has been done for MONTHS - as in, done recording, artwork finished, COMPLETELY done - and victory has been holding it back for legal reasons.

That's probably one of the reasons they don't want them to be supported.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Should I not be buying the new album through Amazon MP3 then? Because that's what I was planning to do.

I've already got it pre-ordered through interpunk so look at me just shrugging since I don'y really buy merch

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Update!

quote:

As a bonus, let's play "GUESS THAT QUOTE"!!!1! Here it is:
"I absolutely believe that allowing people to cherry-pick the tracks they want from each album cannibalizes full-length album sales and is ultimately detrimental to the artists who created the music� It is important for people to experience the entire album. Not just a track(s)."

You probably guessed it, so we'll just go ahead and give you your prize:
Another full, high quality mp3 from our new record! Apparently, Victory chose this as our first single for us, which we found out by seeing it iTunes. Awesome! Thanks guys!~

Here it is.

And they link to the Julio cover. Suck a cock, Victory

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
My love for Streetlight just continues to grow.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
This just means they are one step closer to working with Quote Unquote...

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

lessthankyle posted:

This just means they are one step closer to working with Quote Unquote...

We'd still see releases about as often as we do BTMI albums since Tomas is a perfectionist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Dickeye posted:

We'd still see releases about as often as we do BTMI albums since Tomas is a perfectionist

BTMI Releases: 2005, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2007, 2009, 2009, 2010 (8)
Kalnoky Releases: 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2010 (7)

I didn't count BTMI vinyl-only stuff or Kalnoky stuff that's only available on cassette. I would kill for Streetlight/BOTAR to have a BTMI release schedule.