Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maybe I'm alone in disliking bases that are that busy and complicated. Not only does it seem like a pain to try and attach your standard model to them, they're just so packed that it seems like it would detract from the model itself most of the time. I also get spergy about the way they end up conforming directly to the base dimensions. Why is there a tiny little goop pool the exact size of the base? Why is someone standing on it. Why would you be standing on the opening iris of a rapechamber?

The ones Cakefool (I think) did were really nice, they had lots of neat little industrial elements while still looking like part of a greater scene and not overdoing it too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Anyone thinking of switching away from GW paints should note that no-one on the planet makes a paintpot as loving poo poo as GW, also, P3 & Vajello both make pretty drat good paints, and if you can't find them cheaper than GW I'll be amazed.

P3s also come with about twice as much paint as gw pots. It's really noticeable when I transfer them to dropper bottles.

PaintVagrant posted:

fukkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I saw something similar to these made by Micro Art Studios and thought they were awesome as poo poo but they only came in rounded bases. They're still 40mm, but I'd want my smaller troop units to have the rounded edge bases too and as far as I can tell nobody makes 25mm rounded edge bases. Did you make those or are they someone else's?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Ashcans posted:

Maybe I'm alone in disliking bases that are that busy and complicated. Not only does it seem like a pain to try and attach your standard model to them, they're just so packed that it seems like it would detract from the model itself most of the time. I also get spergy about the way they end up conforming directly to the base dimensions. Why is there a tiny little goop pool the exact size of the base? Why is someone standing on it. Why would you be standing on the opening iris of a rapechamber?

The ones Cakefool (I think) did were really nice, they had lots of neat little industrial elements while still looking like part of a greater scene and not overdoing it too much.

I think the trick with the elaborate bases is to paint them in more muted colors than those stock images use, because they would really divert attention from the model itself painted that way.

I just like gay steampunk tentaclerape, what can I say

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ashcans posted:

Cool, thanks.

*Waiting for Furret Basket to use & paint hers*

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PV, wash-wise, how would you do a bronze? Mithril, Devlan x2, Mithril, Sepia?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I think boltgun, sepia, devlan shade, but I cant really remember

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Why would you start with silver?

My favorite way of doing bronze is:
Vallejo Bronze
Wash with mix of Vallejo Sepia Ink and Black
highlight with Bronze
highlight with Bronze + (a bright) Silver

the black + Sepia wash is also my all-purpose metal wash

Stock photo of my Leviathan, because that was one of the few times i bothered to do a decent light setup.

Edit: I remember promising more pictures of our Pulp City table, unfortunately i forgot to take my camera to the convention :saddowns:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Burnished Gold and Brown ink used to be a good combo for bronze.

A couple of years ago when inks were around I did the bronze on these that way. Maybe Burnished Gold and Devlan?

(same but with Dwarf Bronze and ink)

richyp fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 4, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bistromatic posted:

Stock photo of my Leviathan, because that was one of the few times i bothered to do a decent light setup.

Edit: I remember promising more pictures of our Pulp City table, unfortunately i forgot to take my camera to the convention :saddowns:

Diggin the gently caress out of that base.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The lipped bases for warmachine/etc are practically begging for the use of kewl water effects.

Nice model bistro, youre a good painter as well as a stately gentleman

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bistromatic posted:

Why would you start with silver?

Cuz I only have silver paint. :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Start with silver because I hate non-silver metallics because they cover like poo poo :\

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

PaintVagrant posted:

Start with silver because I hate non-silver metallics because they cover like poo poo :\

This, oh god this, gold on my recent troop of high elf archers was a pain in the rear end!

You have two choices, paint straight from the pot and slop it on like glue or thin it down the tiniest bit and get no coverage what so ever and nice droopy clumps.

Definitely testing silver and wash mixes in the future.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Gold works ok if you base with something like scorched brown then just drybrush gold straight from the pot. Sometimes I'll do it right over the black primer too. Definitely not worth trying to actually *paint* with it though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

mithril + gold, it sort of looks like white gold, then a sepia wash

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!
I know thinning metallics is a no no here, but aside from many coats to cover a piece is there another problem doing this? I thin mine and yes it is frustrating sometimes that i need to put a billion coats on but it's after that and a grepphone sepia and it looks fine. I've used unthinned gold metallics and I'd really prefer my thinned gold's look in the end.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I always thin metallics, the issue is that thinned golds dont cover at all, so you have to 2 or 3 coat them and they are gloppy and destroy brushes and generally infuriating

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
The only metallics I ever use are Boltgun and Burnished Gold. I thin the Boltgun just like anything else, but the Gold I either slap on right out of the pot (picking out details) or thin just a tiny tiny bit (for bigger areas).

I know multiple thin coats will look better but jesus christ thinned GW gold takes forever to cover black primer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Do yourself a favour & get a pot of mithril silver or other bright silver, makes a brilliant highlight from boltgun upwards.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Vallejo bright bronze thins remarkably well, considering.

On a slightly related (and crossposty) note, I finished a model :toot:

Now to find a chance to actually buy my light box shopping list so that I have less of a lovely photo problem.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Is there a good alternative to green stuff for gap filling? I'm really terrible with the stuff.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Fix posted:

Is there a good alternative to green stuff for gap filling? I'm really terrible with the stuff.

Fill the gap with super glue, throw some baking soda on it. Dries instantly, fills the gap perfectly, sand it down a little bit.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ashcans posted:

How are the metallics for P3? I have pretty much only bought Vallejo paint recently (except for GW washes) but I wasn't really taken by their metallics.

Vallejo model color Brass is great, as is Oily Steel. gently caress the others.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Fix posted:

I use some paper towel or toilet paper. poo poo dries like cement!

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
so ya I have a skaven army I am painting traditionally, and it is taking a ton of time, also a warmachine army done in pink (seriously, gently caress painting pink)

I now have an Ork army put together, I do not have the time or patience to do another horde army the normal way. I have a pot of army shader strong tone I bought on a whim some time ago and wondering if it would look ok on orks? What green should I use as a base that would look ok shaded with an earthy brown?

I have looked around and saw some badly painted orks dipped with dark tone, but the base coloring was sloppy so hard to say if it looked ok.

prxi
Jan 10, 2009

It's time for a
summery execution!

Fix posted:

Have you tried to make the green stuff into a long thin, snake like form? Then all you do is press a small amount into the hole using some sort of knife and BAM, done.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Booger posted:

so ya I have a skaven army I am painting traditionally, and it is taking a ton of time, also a warmachine army done in pink (seriously, gently caress painting pink)

I now have an Ork army put together, I do not have the time or patience to do another horde army the normal way. I have a pot of army shader strong tone I bought on a whim some time ago and wondering if it would look ok on orks? What green should I use as a base that would look ok shaded with an earthy brown?

I have looked around and saw some badly painted orks dipped with dark tone, but the base coloring was sloppy so hard to say if it looked ok.

Army dip might work, but I'm a fan of GW washes to make horde painting quick and painless. When I do my lootas this month, I'll do a before and after shot of an ork boy as well. You will see the magic of foundation paints+badab black.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

crime fighting hog posted:

Fill the gap with super glue, throw some baking soda on it. Dries instantly, fills the gap perfectly, sand it down a little bit.

Alternatively, I use blu-tac.. sure it never cures or anything but once it's been hit with a few voats of PVA + sand etc. then no ones ever going to know its under there and it's pretty solid from there anyway v:shobon:v

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

PaintVagrant posted:

fukkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

wanna gently caress that steel portal

Ceritus
Jul 31, 2002

C'mon, all the cool kids are doing it.

Bistromatic posted:

That is one seriously badass leviathan.

prxi
Jan 10, 2009

It's time for a
summery execution!

Bistromatic posted:

This is awesome! I really like the logs you did (A silly thing to like, I know, especially when it's an awesome model all around)

Also, thanks for posting this! I decided to try my hand at some water action because of it!

Here's my second kustom kommando! (Cross posted from oath thread)

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I haven't added the watery looking stuff yet, but I think you want to do that after painting the model.

I know it's just a model with no paint, but C&C always welcome :)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Before I bother trying to assemble my Stormvermin, should I elevate them somehow over the base? I could swear it came up in this thread that just putting models up a bit helps with basing down the road, and now that I'm finally basing my older models, and getting goddamn glue and sand everywhere, I'm thinking this sounds smart.

So is slapping little risers beneath their feet a good idea?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I honestly wouldn't bother with it for horde units. Maybe for the front rank or characters, that kind of thing. But you'd drive yourself nuts doing whole big units like that.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

crime fighting hog posted:

Found a video on doing this. I'll give it a shot.

It's insane how much of a gap there is in the Exorcist pipes. That whole assembly is junk, never mind trying to get it to sit flush on the back of the Immolator top.

prxi posted:

Have you tried to make the green stuff into a long thin, snake like form? Then all you do is press a small amount into the hole using some sort of knife and BAM, done.
Yeah, I have, I'm just awful at mixing it right, and it always dries out too quick. I dunno.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Got some more work done on my warhound, namely the leg armour. Also covered the upper body. Still needs detailing on the upper body and head, and joints to mount the weapons, but after that it's probably ready for paint.

Click here for the full 574x700 image.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

R.S. Gumby posted:

Got some more work done on my warhound, namely the leg armour. Also covered the upper body. Still needs detailing on the upper body and head, and joints to mount the weapons, but after that it's probably ready for paint.

Whoa

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

R.S. Gumby posted:

What set of templates are you using? I had a quick play around with the ones by some JSV fella or whatever his name his and the head is baffling the hell out of me. I've got the 3 main components, and barring having to add tabs, I can't for the life of me work out how the feck it's supposed to go together. The bit causing me the most grief is the bit labelled 'lower head assembly' - some of the slim bits just don't seem to want to really fit where I'd expect them to.

I'm just doing a dry run with cardboard before I throw myself in the deep end so it's not a biggy if I need to scrap it and try again but I'm using some lush card that I'd rather make some decent use of :3:

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Fyrbrand posted:

Army dip might work, but I'm a fan of GW washes to make horde painting quick and painless. When I do my lootas this month, I'll do a before and after shot of an ork boy as well. You will see the magic of foundation paints+badab black.

I am already pretty good with washes, inks, feathering,wetblending, etc. I just want something fast for these guys. If i get out my washes i'll be too tempted to paint them methodically as I do my skaven :P

prxi
Jan 10, 2009

It's time for a
summery execution!

Fix posted:

Yeah, I have, I'm just awful at mixing it right, and it always dries out too quick. I dunno.

I have the opposite issue, mine takes a few hours to dry...
I use the green stuff from Gale Force 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Where in the UK can i get some decent fine brushes?

I tend to paint most everything around the Detail / Fine Detail level. I got the full set of GW brushes for xmas and went to some random hobby store and picked up a couple different branded 000's.

the GW fine now has about 3 strands left in it, one of the 000's is just long and sloppy (one dip in the water and it flops all over the place) and the other 000 is sorta 'split' in half so i end up getting paint everywhere when i'm trying to do really fine work.

• Locked thread