Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Slim Pickens posted:

I heard the companies collaborate with the NEW WORLD ORDER to make speedos inaccurate so that they get a cut of the profits made from speeding tickets from the world government. By the way, have you guys seen a movie called loose change?

Yeah that's kinda what I figured. I'm looking at Mini Coopers for my next car, since their center-dash mounted speedos can barely be read by the driver, let alone the man. Plus, you know how they offer different "dash trim" and such from the factory? A certain one blocks the cops from seeing the read outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Spiffness posted:

I'm too lazy to collect the pictures on this slow connection but how does a Desmosedici trike strike you?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/ducati-desmosedici-rr-trike-concept/#more-8986

Probably badly.

Edit: Vagina.

Dear Nicolas Petit,

If you ever actually ruin a desmosedici so you can make a trike out of it, I will fly all the way to France and destroy your frog rear end.

-Love, Slim Pickens

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well thankfully its a concept bike and will never leave the 3DSMax stage, just like every other concept bike posted on every other blog ever.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Confessional time, who's run from the police?

Last night on my way home, on 101 into SF I was splitting at an admittedly faster than legal speed (traffic moving around 50mph). I passed a police officer who hit the lights a few seconds after I went by. It didn't register in my head that he was probably trying to pull me over until about 30 seconds later and I had just continued on my way and was a good hundred cars ahead of him and figured I might as well ignore it at that point. So I guess I accidentally ran from the cops yesterday.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

New Multistrada review!

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/ducati-mts1200-multistrada-s

Conclusion:

quote:

I’ll be adding more Multistrada features in the next few days, but as far as the riding experience is concerned – the most important aspect after all – the MTS 1200 S absolutely rocks. It’s searingly fast, laden with torque, handles superbly, the electronics not only work they’re extremely useful, it’s comfortable, characterful, beautifully made, and one of the most exciting motorcycles you can buy. If you’ve placed an order already… lucky you!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

pr0zac posted:

Last night on my way home, on 101 into SF I was splitting at an admittedly faster than legal speed (traffic moving around 50mph). I passed a police officer who hit the lights a few seconds after I went by. It didn't register in my head that he was probably trying to pull me over until about 30 seconds later and I had just continued on my way and was a good hundred cars ahead of him and figured I might as well ignore it at that point. So I guess I accidentally ran from the cops yesterday.

I will admit to having accidentally run from the police. I've never had the lights come on and think "GUN IT!" and took off, but there have been times where I've thought 'that cop probably is going to turn and talk to me' and adjusted my riding to avoid the conversation.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

I will admit to having accidentally run from the police. I've never had the lights come on and think "GUN IT!" and took off, but there have been times where I've thought 'that cop probably is going to turn and talk to me' and adjusted my riding to avoid the conversation.

If I see the lights, I pull over. Every time.

I have not looked sometimes.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

New Multistrada review!

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/ducati-mts1200-multistrada-s

Conclusion:

I got to check it out in person a few weeks ago, it was very nice. If I was in the market for a bike like that I would be all over it. One of my friends was considering holding off purchasing a Hypermotard for it. I like how they've increased the maintenance intervals for that engine.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I shadowed a CHP through traffic on the 110 today on my way home :c00l:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

pr0zac posted:

Once I did, it wasn't much of a run. This would have been back in the mid 70's and I was riding a Trail 90 through Chugach State Park. i had been riding there for ages and had never really gotten any flak over it, so when I saw the park ranger waving and motioning at me I waved back and continued on my merry way. Too bad for him he was on foot, although if he'd really wanted it he likely could have caught me. A couple weeks later they did catch some Jeep guys up there, $300 fines and they had to pay for helicopter recovery of the Jeeps. That cost more than the fine did.

Another time I was riding one of my favorite roads at "pace". I looked in the mirror and saw berries and cherries off in the distance, kind of behind a curve, so I dialed it way back and decided to play dumb. As I rode farther, I could see that the trooper was lighting up folks in front of him but as soon as he got around them, he shut the lights down...what I surmised was that he wanted me and needed those people to get the gently caress out of his way so he could tag me. By the time he caught up, I was well and truly a model citizen and he went away empty, at the stop sign where he caught up he wouldn't look at me. 1000 yard stare, straight ahead.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

pr0zac posted:

I have in my car. The cop pulled over the guy behind me. Then his buddy passed me, did a u-turn, and pulled up to the first car. I figured cop #1 would send cop #2 after me, so I decided it was time to get gas at the station on the side of the road. Sure enough, 15 seconds later as I'm filling up, cop #2 goes down the road past me. Paid for the gas, took a bathroom break, fiddled with the radio for a while, then continued at the speed limit.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

pr0zac posted:

I was leaving the store one time in my firebird and saw a cop staring me down, mean look and all. Prob was, he was in-between cars at a stop light. So, my 18 year old self decided to do a wicked burnout right next to him and go the other way. Immediately the cop put his lights on, but I'm guessing had to do a 10 point turn to turn around. After I went around a turn, I cut into a residential area and zig zaged across that area a couple times and parked. I heard the siren get louder and then fade away. I turned around and went home the other way.

Compare that to me a 27. I came around a turn on my husky and saw a cop facing the other way, who put his lights on. I took my hands off the bars and did a "I surrender" pose before I pulled over. Got a big break for how fast I was going, but still got a ticket.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gnaghi posted:

I was leaving the store one time in my firebird and saw a cop staring me down, mean look and all. Prob was, he was in-between cars at a stop light. So, my 18 year old self decided to do a wicked burnout right next to him and go the other way. Immediately the cop put his lights on, but I'm guessing had to do a 10 point turn to turn around. After I went around a turn, I cut into a residential area and zig zaged across that area a couple times and parked. I heard the siren get louder and then fade away. I turned around and went home the other way.

Haha, I've done this. I was doing like 70 in a 35 zone and passed a cop, who promptly started to do a U-turn. Luckily for me he had to wait for a car, so I screamed into a side street and then started doing random turns before pulling into some driveway and killing the engine. I sat there waiting for 10 minutes or so, but he never found me, so I just went on my merry way.

God, 18 year-olds are dumb. :haw:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Only once when I was young(er) and dumb. I was out in the middle of nowhere on my GSXR-600. I was on a road we call Hayabusa lane, because its straight as an arrow, has no driveways on it, and is about a mile long.

Well, being young and dumb, I pinned it. At the end of the road, there is a small crest, and it keeps going straight for a while. As I approached that crest, a county cop approached from the other direction. We passed at the crest, I looked down, and I was doing an indicated 155 mph, which on that bike was more like 140.

It was decision time. Stop or keep going. I kept going. I barely saw the cop tap his brakes before he was too far away to see. I promptly took the zig-zaggiest way home, and parked the bike for about a week. I never did see if he even stopped, it looked to me like he didnt. I wasnt sticking around to find out though.

I've never even approached that speed on the street since then. That would have been an automatic license loss, with some jail time for sure.

EDIT: Twice actually. I once wheelied my CB-650 (lol) behind an undercover cop. Somehow I managed to turn off the road and he didnt. I used that little bit of time it took for him to turn around to run like all hell. Again, I zig zagged all over and went home.

I was loving retarded back then.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 5, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Conversely, a lady I worked with in the early 90's in Oregon came in one morning with a hillarious story.

She was headed for work on a section of road that they'd widened to 4 lanes + turn in anticipation of near-future development. She was doing about 60 in a 40 when she passed a cop going the other way. When she saw his brake lights in the mirror, she just pulled over and stopped. He didn't turn on his lights until he pulled up behind her. The conversation went like this:

"Ma'am, why did you stop?"
"Why did you turn around?"
He chuckled. "Point taken. Have a nice day, ma'am."
"You too, Officer."

He went back to his cruiser, got in, turned around and kept going wherever it was he was headed to originally.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
I've gone a little fast at times but never gotten pulled over. I would have to stop though as I actually plan on going into law enforcement and I doubt it will look great on resume to have a running from the police charge :ohdear:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
In the close call department, there's a long straight stretch of highway that's not really used anymore, thanks to a change in main drags. It's a couple of miles long, and it's the place we use to top out our bikes. You never really see anyone out there, and the highway is divided by a big grass median, with northbound up on the top and southbound down below.

I was on my 929 and my friend was on another friend's GSX-R600. We hit the crest of the hill that drops into the abandoned section of freeway, and pin it. We're starting at 90mph, 3rd gear or so, and he quickly falls back. I'm approaching an indicated 170mph, the bike's about to hit the limiter, and I'm in top gear. I'm like, gently caress, there has to be another gear. I hit the shifter and it goes into 6th. :aaaaa:

Bike keeps accelerating, up to an indicated 185mph. The needle is buried in the red but hasn't hit the rev limiter yet, and revs are still slowly climbing but the speedo sticks stubbornly at 185mph. I've got about 2 miles of road left in front of me...I start wiggling my rear end around, trying to even out the aero to get those last few revs.

2 miles at 185 is around 40 seconds of time, so I figure it's about time to let it go. I let off the throttle, the bike drat near instantly scrubs 30-40mph. I sit up, and nearly get sucked off the bike by unexpected windblast at 140mph. I slow down to 90 and feel like I'm going backwards, look over my shoulder, see my friend a long ways back. I look up...flashing lights.

I think...Oh gently caress. There's no getting out of this one. Keep slowing to 65, 55. 45. Cop's standing out next to his car...and there's a ricer parked in front of him.

I flicker the brake lights to alert my friend, the cop looks up, looks at me...I ride slowly past, pretending that I hadn't been going nearly 4x the speed limit just a few seconds ago...and off I go.

Thanks, ricer...I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't been there, but I promise you, it would have been bad. :)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

A friend of mine in high school decided to run from the cops on his bike. The cop that put his lights on wasn't actually going after him, but when my buddy took off, the cop changed his mind. My buddy ended up low-siding in a corner, supposedly at close to 100 mph, and the cops of course got him at that point. Pretty sure he spent the night in jail too.

I've somehow never seen a cop while riding.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Everyone stop that work your supposed to be doing and look at this.

http://www.life.com/image/ugc1020972/in-gallery/37202/daytona-motorcycle-madness-1948

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Spiffness posted:

http://www.life.com/image/ugc1020972/in-gallery/37202/daytona-motorcycle-madness-1948
7 of 22. In true South Florida tradition, that bike has Illinois plates.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Spiffness posted:

Ok, added The Fastest Indian to my movie list.

Is it some unwritten rule to not use a front pit stand without a rear? I put my front up to change the wheel and not only did it come off the stand (I held it up) but it felt wobbley as hell. I only can put one side up at a time since the bike is in a small space and I've been fearing for it all day at work.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Woops, double post.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 5, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

You waited a whole minute before bumping your own question? :haw:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

You waited a whole minute before bumping your own question? :haw:

WELL I'M WORRIED!! Nah I can't see any of the buttons at work, I was trying to edit and I quoted.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Gnaghi posted:

Ok, added The Fastest Indian to my movie list.

Is it some unwritten rule to not use a front pit stand without a rear? I put my front up to change the wheel and not only did it come off the stand (I held it up) but it felt wobbley as hell. I only can put one side up at a time since the bike is in a small space and I've been fearing for it all day at work.

With every stand I've read the directions for it's actually a written rule.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

laymil posted:

With every stand I've read the directions for it's actually a written rule.

drat well I got mine used. Both pit bull stands for $200 on Cl.

The bike was still up when I got home and I took it off right away, telling myself "objects at rest tend to stay at rest" the whole way home. :eek:

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Damnit why must you guys have two threads that look so alike?

I could probaby get my GS500 running this weekend though!

Chairon fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 6, 2010

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Anyone watching the Daytona 200? So far five or six riders down/off on the first start, and another four on the restart. Right now there's a group of probably seven fighting it out for first. And a Yamaha R6 with lots of fire out the exhaust when braking into turn 1 :black101:

Oh, and did I mention it was a standing start this year?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

T-Square posted:

Anyone watching the Daytona 200?

Damnit, is it on Speed? I don't understand how I can go to a university that is mainly engineers and we don't get the Speed channel.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Ok, I jb welded the push lever screw back in and tightened the chain. I don't know if it's because then chain was so loose before and it just sounds different, but it sounds a lot louder going around the sprocket. It's a very distinct clicking. It's not rubbing on anything in the front end.
I think the tire might be slighty off alignment from the chain tightening.
The rear tire makes a wooshing noise too. Could just be me listening to stuff too closely.
Just to be safe, I'm going to take it in and have it looked at.
Any thoughts?

E: the alignment on the tire was off. I fixed it, but the chai is still louder than normal.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 7, 2010

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I got back on my bike Saturday after probably 2 and a half months of leaving it unloved due to weather. First ride was pretty good, I was pretty confident and feel like 2010 will be a good riding season for me.

While riding around Saturday I chose to go up Harford Rd, it's pretty much as good as riding gets northeast of Baltimore without going too far out. Came back down it, saw this dude who lives along the road out with his snow shovel picking at ice on his property, didn't think much of it.

Road back up Harford Rd on Sunday when it was warmer and even nicer out, got to the same place where the dude was Saturday, and there was a pretty huge pile of snow out in the middle of the road, new from my ride across the same stretch of road the day before. It seemed to me like he'd been laying a trap to kill off motorcyclists who are riding by his place too fast. :wtc:

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
During the long, hard winters here in Scandinavian-Siberia, I'm a sucker for project threads - there's simply not enough of them on SA!

So instead of doing something myself, I'd like to read about it on the internet. Anyone has some links to forums with lots of project threads?

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi
So, yesterday I rode my new bike home. I used to ride a lot when I was a teenager, and I just got out of the habit. Now, at 39, I have a motorcycle. I spent the last year looking at different bikes, and I even bought an old 82 cb450t that I am fixing, but I decided that I needed something that is small, simple, and ultimately disposable. So I ended up with a 09 gz250.

The ride home was.... interesting. I was only on a "major" road for about .25 of a mile, the rest of the 3 mile trip was on neighborhood roads. The last thing the dealer said to me as I pulled out was "Oh, the tires are very slick. Don't lean, and don't throttle too hard for the first 50 miles, or it will come out from under you." That kind of spooked me. I did not stall the bike, but I kept either putting it in neutral trying to go from first to second, or downshifting too much. At one point I was in top of 3rd and thought I was doing 45, and looked down to see I was in fact doing 30. It is parked in my driveway and will not be touched until after I take the MSF course next Monday and Tuesday. I have to say that the entire experience made me feel like an idiot, honestly. I have a full face helmet, a "nitro" jacket with the armored points, leather over the ankle boots and some ICON gloves, and I wore them when bringing the bike home. I just hope that it gets easier and that my fumbling was just rust.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Shempt_The_Mighty posted:

Don't lean, and don't throttle too hard for the first 50 miles, or it will come out from under you." That kind of spooked me.

Haha, that's ridiculous. I've ridden on a couple sets of new tires and I've never had problems. Yeah, you won't want to be totally leaned over and gunning it at the exit of the corner, but you can certainly lean the bike and ride at the speed limit no problem with new tires. In fact, you want to lean the bike a bit to help scrub in the whole tire and not just the middle. The thing about bikes is that they like having throttle applied and they tend to be more stable at speed, so taking corners at 5mph and giving it no gas are going to make things more difficult for you.

You'll get your skills back in no time, especially with MSF. Don't be afraid of the throttle.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The MSF will help you get your riding habits back, don't worry about it too much. And new tires are slick, but on a GZ250, it's not going to suddenly flick you off if you give it a bit too much throttle. Slowly work up to increasing lean angle and it'll be fine :)

Also, good for you for having the sense to go to the MSF...the returning riders group is very, very high risk because many of them don't feel like they need training, and as a result they are very overrepresented in the crash data.

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Haha, that's ridiculous. I've ridden on a couple sets of new tires and I've never had problems. Yeah, you won't want to be totally leaned over and gunning it at the exit of the corner, but you can certainly lean the bike and ride at the speed limit no problem with new tires. In fact, you want to lean the bike a bit to help scrub in the whole tire and not just the middle. The thing about bikes is that they like having throttle applied and they tend to be more stable at speed, so taking corners at 5mph and giving it no gas are going to make things more difficult for you.

You'll get your skills back in no time, especially with MSF. Don't be afraid of the throttle.

That was the problem I was having. If i babied it, it felt wobbly. Kind of makes for a sphincter puckering experience.

I felt stupid riding without taking the MSF course, but I didn't have any other way to get the bike home, and I figured "3 miles, aint nothing but a thing." God am I out of practice.

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Z3n posted:

The MSF will help you get your riding habits back, don't worry about it too much. And new tires are slick, but on a GZ250, it's not going to suddenly flick you off if you give it a bit too much throttle. Slowly work up to increasing lean angle and it'll be fine :)

Also, good for you for having the sense to go to the MSF...the returning riders group is very, very high risk because many of them don't feel like they need training, and as a result they are very overrepresented in the crash data.

It was a two part decision...1) my wife got a Genuine Buddy 125 and I told her she could not ride without the proper gear and the course, and what goes around comes around. if she had to take the course, so did I. Only fair.

2) My riding I did as a teen was mostly dirtbike or enduro riding. There is a certain amount of laying it down expected, but tarmac is harder then dirt and I am not am not young as I used to be, and if I am going to do it, I want to do it right, ya know? It's also the reason i went with a small displacement bike instead of something bigger. The first and only time I rode my dad's 83 softail custom (back in 88) I hit 90mph before I knew it and almost put it in a stand of trees. I want to build up to something bigger and get the proper respect for the bike and my skills.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, sounds like you're pretty well prepared for it then :) Good luck, have fun at the MSF, and as always, ask questions if you have them...there's stupid questions, but it's better to ask stupid questions and be safe than it is to not ask the questions and end up in a ditch somewhere! :haw:

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi

Z3n posted:

Well, sounds like you're pretty well prepared for it then :) Good luck, have fun at the MSF, and as always, ask questions if you have them...there's stupid questions, but it's better to ask stupid questions and be safe than it is to not ask the questions and end up in a ditch somewhere! :haw:

Thanks! At least I know that the bike won't eject me if I gun it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Shempt_The_Mighty posted:

It was a two part decision...1) my wife got a Genuine Buddy 125 and I told her she could not ride without the proper gear and the course, and what goes around comes around. if she had to take the course, so did I. Only fair.

There's a guy that parks next to me at work with one of those and it's so drat cute next to my huge rear end bike. :3: What kind of mileage do they get?